• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

The end of greater rift screen pop up showing time is just annoying. When we do sub 2 min xp runs next season having to click through each time is going to get a little annoying. Annoying already and I am only doing 1 or 2 GRs a day.

Firemind

No, that's a seasonal item. He was using Unity and Halo of something. Don't know enough about wiz.
I don't get it. How does he get to keep casting Frost Novas for free if everything around him gets frozen? The Halo says you need to take 10% damage.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I don't get it. How does he get to keep casting Frost Novas for free if everything around him gets frozen? The Halo says you need to take 10% damage.

I don't understand anything wizard, but he logged out on his build so maybe you can make soemthing of it. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Gabynator-1902/hero/58708474

Interesting stuff. Looking at the profile, I'm guessing the playstyle involves activating the homing pads (town portal) often to help tank the first hits and lock everything down, then using a few abilities to trigger all the meteors (and get persistent damage via hydra/blizzard), then wait the 8 seconds or so to trigger another meteor if needed.

1bwKriz.png

After taking the initial hits, the electrocute spam + deflection and the damage reduction built up from the Tal Rasha 4 set bonus are probably enough to keep attacking through further attacks.

Dahbomb

Tal Rasha was always insane (in the PTR at least). The first iteration of it was absolutely bonkers... like I am talking 4 to 5 times the current damage output.

Hopefully now Wizards will stop complaining about not doing enough damage.

Interesting stuff. Looking at the profile, I'm guessing the playstyle involves activating the homing pads (town portal) often to help tank the first hits and lock everything down, then using a few abilities to trigger all the meteors (and get persistent damage via hydra/blizzard), then wait the 8 seconds or so to trigger another meteor if needed.

1bwKriz.png

After taking the initial hits, the electrocute spam + deflection and the damage reduction built up from the Tal Rasha 4 set bonus are probably enough to keep attacking through further attacks.

I must say I'm enjoying all the build and play diversity.

The guy I'm watching is running Deathwatch shoulders, rasha's gloves and an eyelich with a pain enhancer and enforcer gem.

Looks like Parthan, Unity and Halo ring + Ice armor are a must, though. No way to avoid getting 1-shot above a certain GR without them. And Calamity Teleport is strong for your arcane option so that you don't have to take blackhole or tornado.

Tal Rasha was always insane (in the PTR at least). The first iteration of it was absolutely bonkers... like I am talking 4 to 5 times the current damage output.

You misunderstood the complaint, apparently. The complaint was about build diversity (which is of course related to damage, but not the same thing). Now we can build to kite or build to stand in one place and melee like bosses, with like 3 or 4 viable skills at each position.

All people ever wanted was to not be pigeon-holed into 2 relevant weapons, 2 relevant rings and 1 relevant set. Now we can roll with 8 or 9 different weapons, a couple different sets, 5 or 6 different ring combinations, 7 or 8 different gems, more than a dozen skill and passive combos, etc.

Addnan

Wizards just like to complain. They ended up doing a 53 in season 2 which is pretty good.

J. Bravo

spin barb is pretty fun. i only have the 4pc, no swords, and am using a rrog and soj instead of focus/restraint. and I still pwn (t4 anyways). and it's fun lol. I will probably do barb for s3.

Tenebrous

I've complained about Wizards since RoS landed, but 2.2 is damn enjoyable so far. I've not done any research on builds, but I've had decent success running...

Slow Time Set + Magic Missile /w Ancient Mirrorball.
Slow Time Set + Frozen Orb /w Triviumate

I prefer the Magic Missile set for it's simplicity. It's not insane damage wise, but it's decent.

I'm looking forward to trying out Tal's. The only issue is I've quite a few ancient pieces now and replacing them with non-ancient Tal's sucks in my mind, haha.

How hard can Meteor hit on a Tal geared Wiz in 2.2?

This is easily the best patch to date. So many new sets, items, tweaked bonuses, etc... This is what will keep me playing for weeks to come.

Dahbomb

You misunderstood the complaint, apparently. The complaint was about build diversity (which is of course related to damage, but not the same thing). Now we can build to kite or build to stand in one place and melee like bosses, with like 3 or 4 viable skills at each position.
I got news for you buddy...

Every single class in the game suffered from build diversity. There was no point in playing anything aside form M6 Cluster Arrow build in S2 for DHs. There was no point in playing anything except Raekors for Barbs in S2. This was not a Wizard only problem.

They actually increased build diversity for ALL classes in this new patch although soon the best build will be figured out and people will feel they are "pigeon holed" again when they have to farm for the same stuff to be competitive.

Tenebrous

I got news for you buddy...

Every single class in the game suffered from build diversity. There was no point in playing anything aside form M6 Cluster Arrow build in S2 for DHs. There was no point in playing anything except Raekors for Barbs in S2. This was not a Wizard only problem.

They actually increased build diversity for ALL classes in this new patch although soon the best build will be figured out and people will feel they are "pigeon holed" again when they have to farm for the same stuff to be competitive.

Those sets were a lot more interesting than...

Blizzard... Move... Blizzard... Move... Blizzard... Move.

Dahbomb

It's all a matter of opinion really.

I get nausea from playing the Furious Charge build and I feel the same way about the new Raiment set.

Like if you didn't like playing with Sentries or spamming Furious Charge then those classes were practically unplayable for you.

I personally don't mind kiting with spells and doing DoT damage with Wizard. It's not my favorite playstyle but I prefer it to spamming charges over the map.

I'm still waiting for Disintegrate and Ray of Frost to be viable in GRs.
Probably wait until next patch when they finally buff Vyr's set.

damn sure are.

Nothing was worse than that uber-meta, disconnected feeling of playing Firebirds. NOTHING. People that didn't play that shit for 300+ hours may never understand. No actual targeting of anything. Just spamming aoe skills and running around. It was perhaps the lowest point of Diablo 3 since launch for me. It was just an awful experience. I would often fall asleep in the middle of GRs and rifts because of how boring the gameplay method was. And there was nothing you could do about it. One viable build with maybe a couple of small variances and 2 or 3 weapons were the requirement. And boredom was the experience.

Now I can do any number of things, just like Monks and DHs can (I don't play the other classes, so I can't comment). It feels great to have a good majority of my available skills and passives being usable and a long list of weapons. Yea, you need 5 or 6 pieces of a few sets and some decent jewelry, but after that the options feel fucking endless compared to what we Wizards experienced up until now. 2.2 Wizard FTW.

Maledict

I'm still waiting for Disintegrate and Ray of Frost to be viable in GRs.

Until they go back and reverse the unbelievably idiotic decision to make all those skills require you to stand still to use them I don't think they ever will. It just goes against how the game is designed and how it plays in the higher level rifts.

To this day I don't know what possessed them to think that Wizards needed some of their coolest spells to root them in one spot to be useful. It remains a mystery, and a bloody stupid one at that.

(Hint - I love the laser spells!)

Tenebrous

Until they go back and reverse the unbelievably idiotic decision to make all those skills require you to stand still to use them I don't think they ever will. It just goes against how the game is designed and how it plays in the higher level rifts.

To this day I don't know what possessed them to think that Wizards needed some of their coolest spells to root them in one spot to be useful. It remains a mystery, and a bloody stupid one at that.

How would you control movement & aim a beam spell with a KBAM setup without drastically changing the control scheme?

actually, standing still is back! I don't know if disintegrate or frost can be used in place one other ability or not...but maybe? People are doing GR56 with Spectral Blades builds. I was doing high 40s last night with one of the lightning generators.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

All people ever wanted was to not be pigeon-holed into 2 relevant weapons, 2 relevant rings and 1 relevant set. Now we can roll with 8 or 9 different weapons, a couple different sets, 5 or 6 different ring combinations, 7 or 8 different gems, more than a dozen skill and passive combos, etc.

This was my barb dream with the new IK set. So much build diversity that was just thrown in the dumpster along with mortick's. Charge or tornadoes boys!

Dream is postponed till 2.3 when hopefully blizzard fixes all the shit they broke 3 days before season (for barbs at least). #hope

Popnbake

Haven't actively looked for them since the weekend they were released however when farming RoRG in season mode it's always a nice bonus to get one.

I'm torn on DH or Wiz now. Really not sure which way I want to go.

Same.

Wiz and DH are looking to have great damage and insane cold builds.

DH have a multishot quiver for their season exclusive so that may be the deciding factor.

Raticus79

Boils down to the control scheme, I guess. That could work with a controller, but we would need WASD movement to be able to move and channel with keyboard+mouse. How else would it work? An auto-targeting toggle?

Using a button toggle for something like Sleet Storm while moving would be fine I guess, or have more skills work like WW/Tempest Rush.

MrDaravon

I still can't get on (EU).

Yeah EU seems to be having serious problems right now. On US myself and other folks on reddit are having random stuttering issues; game is certainly playable, but it's noticeable and annoying. Definitely wouldn't recommend playing hardcore right now.

Javaman

The end of greater rift screen pop up showing time is just annoying. When we do sub 2 min xp runs next season having to click through each time is going to get a little annoying. Annoying already and I am only doing 1 or 2 GRs a day.

I wish they would add some stats to them to let you see who is doing what in the GR. Maybe total damage done and boss damage %.

Javaman

Anyone got any suggestions on what I should work on with this character? I'm maxing out at only GR 39 or so. I've got a RORG I can use if I need to use another partial set, but in the meantime I'm using a SOJ. I just hate that the SOJ rolled fire instead of cold. Thanks!

IYeI1e6.jpg

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Javaman-1853/hero/57779368

That gold pickup=armor belt gets crazy when combined with the horder gem. Certainly situational but check out that toughness lol.
zgjCDLw.jpg

Also, is the unity two way? Meaning if the templer takes damage, I do too? If so I definitely need to work on his toughness.

RS4-

Anyone got any suggestions on what I should work on with this character? I'm maxing out at only GR 39 or so. I've got a RORG I can use if I need to use another partial set, but in the meantime I'm using a SOJ. I just hate that the SOJ rolled fire instead of cold. Thanks!

Also, is the unity two way? Meaning if the templer takes damage, I do too? If so I definitely need to work on his toughness.

I've got a phys, fire and cold SOJ but I use F+R instead. Pre F+R, I used rorg, unity, and Prides Fall or hexing pants. I just use diamonds instead of emeralds; I drop 200k dps, but I stay a live just a bit more. Unless of course its jailer, then it doesn't matter.

You need witching hour (crashing wave if you switch to nats, not sure if UE uses it). Also a hellfire ammy, but that's just a pain to deal with.

Craft an arcane barb for your weapon.

My dh: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ihaveabeard-1932/hero/59287411

Maledict

Boils down to the control scheme, I guess. That could work with a controller, but we would need WASD movement to be able to move and channel with keyboard+mouse. How else would it work? An auto-targeting toggle?

Using a button toggle for something like Sleet Storm while moving would be fine I guess, or have more skills work like WW/Tempest Rush.

Sorry, I think I expressed myself badly. It's not the standing still that is a problem - the spells always had that, and it works fine on a console controller. My issue is the 'starts weak, builds up strength over X seconds' aspect they introduced a while back. It's totally unnecessary and runs counter to how you play the game, particularly with how the wizard class is built. I don't understand why they decided that, out of all the classes, Wizards needed this unique 'feature' adding in.

It's not like you weren't already penalised through the AP cost from constantly moving and recasting those spells anyway?

Javaman

I've got a phys, fire and cold SOJ but I use F+R instead. Pre F+R, I used rorg, unity, and Prides Fall or hexing pants. I just use diamonds instead of emeralds; I drop 200k dps, but I stay a live just a bit more. Unless of course its jailer, then it doesn't matter.

You need witching hour (crashing wave if you switch to nats, not sure if UE uses it). Also a hellfire ammy, but that's just a pain to deal with.

Craft an arcane barb for your weapon.

My dh: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ihaveabeard-1932/hero/59287411

Yeah, i've been throwing all my shards into a better 2 hander without luck yet. That's a good idea on the belt. I've pretty much been wasting the slot for now. I've crafted 3 or 4 hellfire amulets with no luck so far. Only one 1/2 decent one with a good passive but it's hard to give up the Haunt's CHC and CHD. I didn't realize that the hellfire amulet could roll those as well.

Raticus79

Sorry, I think I expressed myself badly. It's not the standing still that is a problem - the spells always had that, and it works fine on a console controller. My issue is the 'starts weak, builds up strength over X seconds' aspect they introduced a while back. It's totally unnecessary and runs counter to how you play the game, particularly with how the wizard class is built. I don't understand why they decided that, out of all the classes, Wizards needed this unique 'feature' adding in.

It's not like you weren't already penalised through the AP cost from constantly moving and recasting those spells anyway?

For sure - with the current balancing they would have to be "starts out OP and gets continuously stronger" for people to consider them.

MrDaravon

I'm running the new permastrafe build, some of my gear is suboptimal but I see the potential for sure. I'm using the Crashing Wave (?) belt, but I honestly don't even see it triggering so no idea. But even with several pieces that are less than optimal it's pretty good for t6 clears.

Lowmelody

Yo can someone in the NA GAF clan invite me? I was in it but haven't played for a while and must have been removed. My battle tag is Lucifarius#1703.

I haven't had time to play during the last seasons so this one will be my first, I'm excited.

God, such a massive difference with the new WD jade 2pc. From just running around like a headless chicken waiting for soul harvest to refresh to spamming 750m+ haunts. Can't wait to try the new zunis once I refarm the gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom