• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeteh

I really wish Unity wasn't a thing. I'm right around Paragon L370 (I pretty much play entirely solo) and I still haven't had a single one drop. I've been gambling rings for a while but man this is frustrating.

Any good dual wield builds for monk now? Have 2H weapons surpassed 1H weapons in most scenarios? Quite the change from when 2H weapons were insta-trash.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Any good dual wield builds for monk now? Have 2H weapons surpassed 1H weapons in most scenarios? Quite the change from when 2H weapons were insta-trash.

Flying dragon is the first choice, but two 5-primary weapons are also good for this setup: http://www.diablofans.com/builds/53770-quin69-gr55-dashing-strike-monk

I'm still surprised that they made the focus+restraint set bonuses two separate 1.5x multipliers, giving you 2.25x damage. Guess they really wanted to make sure they had a good competitor for RoRG.

Flying dragon is the first choice, but two 5-primary weapons are also good for this setup: http://www.diablofans.com/builds/53770-quin69-gr55-dashing-strike-monk

I'm still surprised that they made the focus+restraint set bonuses two separate 1.5x multipliers, giving you 2.25x damage. Guess they really wanted to make sure they had a good competitor for RoRG.

It's a unity killer as well. The RoRG + Unity combo was the only options really. It's the first time in forever I can remember not running a RoRG and Unity.

Basically the build you posted is the same build I"m running right now but dual wield instead of 2H.

I'm asking because I found two pretty decent sunkeeprs. Both the "buffer" legendary yellow highlighted ones. Seems like a trade for more spirit gen and hits VS. more power and less hits.

idlewild_

WD is in such a fucked up spot still. I cleared 46 tonight after an earlier failed 46 by 2 seconds due to a really shitty first floor setup, and I wound up like rank ~890. It was still a terrible 46 run, too. Like probably every other WD I'm still waiting on an ancient Dagger of Darts at which point I will probably immediately shoot up around the top ~100.

If the rates on that Kadala simulator are anywhere near accurate it should only take around ~450,000 blood shards to gamble one on average. Any second now.

I imagine most of the heavy WD players are doing zdps group builds. I guess that's because they don't really have any good solo builds? Honestly, I can think of a damage/solo build for every class other than WD,

I'm asking because I found two pretty decent sunkeeprs. Both the "buffer" legendary yellow highlighted ones. Seems like a trade for more spirit gen and hits VS. more power and less hits.

The speed clear builds use In-geom + whatever. Probably not nearly as good for pushing GR though.

edit: you could probably use dw for a zdps build too.

Raticus79

I don't believe the elite damage is a unique orange highlighted attribute ute but I could be misremembering. I would get 130 more CHD too.

I miss dual wield lol

Oh, maybe you have a legacy sun keeper. It would have to be in order to be able to equip both.

mileS

RNG is starting to annoy me for the first time in a while. It's funny because it usually doesn't. Couldn't find a unity at all last season (didn't gamble but still) that was on my Monk. Stopped the season early at paragon 425 or something.

THIS season however I have found a total of 6 unity's. (paragon 466) and I have only found one gift. Last season I had 6 gifts. I can't progress on grifts until I get a gift. There's always something holding you back huh?

Raticus79

So I need a legacy and a non legacy to dual wield sunkeepers?

Yup, the old ones are treated as separate types of legendary items. If this is on your seasonal monk there's no way you have a legacy one though - those are the old level 60 non-account-bound ones left over from the auction house days, so they only exist in non-season. If you're talking about non-season and you actually do have one of those, its other stats are so low that it's probably not worth using.

I wonder if anyone out there is still using an old +0.25 APS echoing fury as their offhand in non-season. Since so many builds use mainhand-only attacks these days it might actually be worth it.

RNG is starting to annoy me for the first time in a while. It's funny because it usually doesn't. Couldn't find a unity at all last season (didn't gamble but still) that was on my Monk. Stopped the season early at paragon 425 or something.

THIS season however I have found a total of 6 unity's. (paragon 466) and I have only found one gift. Last season I had 6 gifts. I can't progress on grifts until I get a gift. There's always something holding you back huh?

Yeah, my poor witch doctor has probably found about 50 voodoo masks now and still no tiklandian visage. I have two ancient Grin Reapers now though, ha. I got a carnevil, but no dagger of darts yet. Oh well, still too early for me to complain really - I don't have enough hours on the WD yet. I'd be further along if I had just stuck with one class, but I've been all over the map this time around. I guess that's a good sign for the design having a good variety of things to choose from.

Edit: there we go, got my tiki hat finally.

Yup, the old ones are treated as separate types of legendary items. If this is on your seasonal monk there's no way you have a legacy one though - those are the old level 60 non-account-bound ones left over from the auction house days, so they only exist in non-season. If you're talking about non-season and you actually do have one of those, its other stats are so low that it's probably not worth using.

I wonder if anyone out there is still using an old +0.25 APS echoing fury as their offhand in non-season. Since so many builds use mainhand-only attacks these days it might actually be worth it.

Awww ... got ya. Ok so no dual wield Sunkeepers. I'll have to see if I have any other good 1H weapons.

I've been out of the loop long enough that I'm forgetting terms like "legacy" lol. I haven't been out that long.

I remember postulating WAY back before the expansion that the Echoing fury could be a good off hand since damage is calculated from the main hand. I remember applying this logic to LS as well. But they nerfed how LS proc'ed so that was that. I never had a decent echoing fury. I just lusted after Opiate's.

Opiate

Awww ... got ya. Ok so no dual wield Sunkeepers. I'll have to see if I have any other good 1H weapons.

I've been out of the loop long enough that I'm forgetting terms like "legacy" lol. I haven't been out that long.

I remember postulating WAY back before the expansion that the Echoing fury could be a good off hand since damage is calculated from the main hand. I remember applying this logic to LS as well. But they nerfed how LS proc'ed so that was that. I never had a decent echoing fury. I just lusted after Opiate's.

My dad has that hammer by the way, Fender. It's useless now, of course.

Addnan

Dinged paragon 621 today, did way too many rifts. That was beginning to get painful.

Got some nice stuff today.
pz87eOD.png

Sober

I managed to get it to work. It's mandatory to keybind correctly and use the numpad/locknum trick (it's not a glitch, it's an intended mechanic).
I followed the tactical hints given in this build
I actually googled and found MeatheadMikhail's build which I think is a little easier to play and doesn't count on crazy tricks. It's just Dark Cloud ROV + grenade tossing Strafe and Vengeance. After a few T6 rifts it finally made sense and I can sorta speed clear T6 rifts at a pretty decent pace.

Also I've just been straight up using the Gizzard in UE6 because I'll be damned if I go into a GR40+ and basically play with 1 hp, the buffer from the gem alone at level 25 is better than nothing and I'm not really in a need to really maximize my damage just yet, at least until I get better at dodging. Although I have to admit the max dps version of UE6 w/ Iceblink + BOTT + Zei's multishots do a stupid amount of damage (even hitting ~2bil crits without shrines).

Grampasso

I know people used it for repeated spamming of short cooldown skills like sweeping wind...but since Strafe is a channeling skill, you can just hold the key down and it will resume channeling between EF/RoV casts anyway. It's actually better to do that because there are times when you want to interrupt Strafe, and Numlocking it down makes you forget that. I guess you could do it for casting Prep...but that is on a long cooldown anyway, and I'd rather save that skill for when I need it.
To stop strafe you can bind the Force Move, action, will run instead of doing whatever you were doing even keeping the button pressed.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Oh, maybe you have a legacy sun keeper. It would have to be in order to be able to equip both.

Lol speaking of legacy it makes me laugh how on my non seasonal characters my legacy witching hour is still superior to 90% of 70 legendary belts.

It's hilarious because I think the legacy ones can roll up to 8% attack speed instead of 7%.

My legacy witching hour is 100int, 50vit, 90str, 8%AS and 40% CHD. It's a very funny item. My legacy skorn is also hilarious since it's got 100% CHD and a socket, but unfotunately the raw DPS loss on that thing will never make it functional at 70.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
My friend and I were just discussing legacy items last night. It's hilarious how OP some of them were, like the Skorn and the Witching Hour. I think I still have mine on my monk.

Yep, they're still there.
Even with an INT roll, the WH is more deeps for the monk.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
My friend and I were just discussing legacy items last night. It's hilarious how OP some of them were, like the Skorn and the Witching Hour. I think I still have mine on my monk.

Yep, they're still there.

Even with an INT roll, the WH is more deeps for the monk.

Yeah legacy witching hour is still really strong, especially once your mainstat is over 11k and it starts being meaningless (at least I've heard it starts having some funny diminishing returns on value) and your mainstat matters less than the AS and CHD that WH can offer.

This one is mine I think I paid 50 million for it back when that was a lot of money, it bounces between my off season wizard and barb because I've still never seen a 70 witching hour drop on either of those characters, the only one I've found was this season and obviously it's on my seasonal character.

I had my legacy witching our on my WIZ and WD for the longest time. It was actually the one I had on my monk. When the expansion came out a new DEX one dropped in the first couple of days and it allowed me to give my INT toons my legacy belt.

Speaking of belts, have they made String of Ears more rare? It sure seemed to drop more often before 2.2. But maybe that's just me not remembering correctly.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I don't think so, I got like 10 strings while trying to gamble for a witching hour in a week.

Hell 2 of them were even ancient.

If all else fails just throw blood shards at the problem...unless the problem is getting a witching hour...which is impossible to get.

eek5

Near the closing of AH you could pick up a 8%/50% WH for under 10m and a 9/50 under 20m. Sometimes even less if one of the rolls was a skill bonus. I think I got a bash bonus on mine and got it for around 15m. 9/50 w/ AR/vit/str/int.

The trick was to search for atk speed + chd in armor by legendary and ignore all the rings/amulets iirc.

I don't think so, I got like 10 strings while trying to gamble for a witching hour in a week.

Hell 2 of them were even ancient.

If all else fails just throw blood shards at the problem...unless the problem is getting a witching hour...which is impossible to get.

I got a witching our on my season monk about 5K shards before my string of ears. RNG gonna RNG I guess. I figured they made it more rare since people are pushing higher and higher GR's.

Beefwheat

I feel a bit silly for asking*, but I regularly see people spamming the chat with ads for d3sky and so on. I report them as spam, but does anything come of this? Am I wasting my time?

*I feel silly because y'all are playing and discussing this game on a level I am nowhere near

Raticus79

I feel a bit silly for asking*, but I regularly see people spamming the chat with ads for d3sky and so on. I report them as spam, but does anything come of this? Am I wasting my time?

*I feel silly because y'all are playing and discussing this game on a level I am nowhere near

The people spamming those are using disposable stolen accounts - for example when people reuse their password on a forum, it gets hacked, and then they try that combo on Diablo to get in. Even if Blizzard cleans them up, there's a steady supply. Probably better off just leaving general chat unless you happen to like it.

---

I had a really good run on loot last night. I should be able to run a solid zDPS crusader with that 10 second in-geom and the blind shield. It'll be better for speed GRs than my WD. Meanwhile, the WD got pieces for the Zuni 4 set, so that'll help out when we go to level gems.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What's turbohud? Tell me more.

it reads D3 ram to provide functions over your UI, it'll do stuff like tell you how much DPS your abilities do, how much damage you've done over the course of a rift run, average XP per hour, tell you all the modifiers that affect a skill, tell you if a legendary is ancient before even IDing it, reveal the map in chunks instead of as you walk around it, mark pylons / shrines, show you elite pack affixes without needing to mouse over them, health / resource numbers on your orbs, time left on cool downs and a few more other things.

I play with some one that runs it but I'm worried it'd be considered hacking so I don't do it myself. But just playing with some one who is running turbohud is incredible, he can call out packs with reflects damage before I even see them, guide us to the rift exit without hassle and he can tell you how much damage you're doing and your effective HP so you know if the build you're using is actually better than the previous one.

JoeMartin

So what's the general consensus on people using turbohud?

Dirty cheaters?
Features that should have been included in the base game?
Harmless?

The minimap mob tracking is easily the most contentious portion of the whole mod. It tracks mob movement well beyond your visual contact range (EDIT: to better define this - I would guestimate its tracking range to be about an additional screenwidth out from what you, under normal conditions - open los, level terrain - would 'see') and will tag elites and their mods well before you aggro them, both of which serve to improve your positioning and engagement choices far beyond those not using the mod. Though success in progression grifting is more about getting convenient combinations of mobset/tileset/pylons than 100% effective play, this portion of the mod alone will definitely help you achieve more consistent results in progression grifts.

The AOE markers should be included in the game. If not explicitly, the game should do a better job of implicitly defining the boundaries of AOE effects. Built into the AOE portion of the HUD is convenient tracking of environmental queues/mob queues that would otherwise be invisible, however. Overall definitely also a leg up, but insofar as the AOE markers for affixes go, the game should similarly define them.

The map preload also helps not deadend yourself when speedrunning, but eh who cares.

The rest of it is convenience and raw information collection that are of no harm, but certainly help to provide quantitative exposition on build efficacy that would be impractical for a non-user to collect on their own, which I'm totally okay with - this data should be available vice guiding on feel.

It's toeing a dangerous line, but I think on the whole it improves the gameplay experience by providing information to the user. It certainly doesn't remove challenge, but rather empowers players to make better choices in situ, which I'm okay with.

Dahbomb

So what's the general consensus on people using turbohud?

Dirty cheaters?
Features that should have been included in the base game?
Harmless?
Turbohud definitely gives an edge however this is the type of stuff that should be in the base game.

Until Blizzard states that Turbohud is illegal then it's fair game IMO.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The AOE markers should be included in the game. If not explicitly, the game should do a better job of implicitly defining the boundaries of AOE effects. Built into the AOE portion of the HUD is convenient tracking of environmental queues/mob queues that would otherwise be invisible, however. Overall definitely also a leg up, but insofar as the AOE markers for affixes go, the game should similarly define them.

The AoE markers from what I gather are the most important part of the package, because from what I gather when my calls out AoE's and stuff he also seems to know when they're "done" doing damage even when the visual effect lingers on screen.

Raticus79

The minimap mob tracking is easily the most contentious portion of the whole mod. It tracks mob movement well beyond your visual contact range
It's toeing a dangerous line, but I think on the whole it improves the gameplay experience by providing information to the user. It certainly doesn't remove challenge, but rather empowers players to make better choices in situ, which I'm okay with.

FindersKeepers (similar to the old LootAlert tool for multiboxers) recently added this minimap overlay too, along with some of the other features like exp/hour reporting. The minimap overlay is reading memory, and the server has to tell your game about nearby enemies at a big enough radius that your client has time to load them (to avoid "pop-in"), so that's why the memory reading reveals so much more than what you can see.

I think Blizzard will probably wind up adding the minimap overlay in-game eventually. Having people rely on a third-party tool to compete is bad news and I don't see a way for them to beat the memory reading. They can't trim that radius down further or people would wind up seeing pop-in constantly, especially with higher move speeds.

I wish they'd shift their stance on DPS meters. They've always resisted the idea.

If anyone's considering using such utilities, definitely don't stream it. I remember one video drew a fair bit of attention because someone was calling out the pylon types in their voice chat before anyone in the group could have seen them.

Addnan

Paragon 666 hype. All on Demon Hunter, not a single leech build rift. About 100 paragons in last 3 days. Shit was painful.

I say turbohud is straight up cheating. Its an unfair advantage and i dont think you will have a feeling of accomplishment after completing the rift, knowing that you cheated. Also, top streamers on twitch are clearing higher levels without t-hud, and also streaming and succeeding in their rank 1 attempts without t-hud, so thats also kind of a slap in the face to t-hud users.

JoeMartin

I say turbohud is straight up cheating. Its an unfair advantage and i dont think you will have a feeling of accomplishment after completing the rift, knowing that you cheated. Also, top streamers on twitch are clearing higher levels without t-hud, and also streaming and succeeding in their rank 1 attempts without t-hud, so thats also kind of a slap in the face to t-hud users.

Turbohud is a separate application which uses windows transparency frames to display information on top of D3 (which is why D3 must be run in windowed mode to use it), rather than rendering in the game itself. This makes it entirely possible to both use turbohud and stream D3 without turbohud seen on the viewer's end.

While It's pretty easy to see the gameplay tendencies of those streamers using turbohud (most all of them do), I can understand why you wouldn't want it to be public knowledge, especially without Blizzard having taken a firm stance on it.

And I also find it interesting that you claim it offers an unfair advantage while simultaneously claiming that the number 1 players don't use it; at any rate, achieving number 1 solo grifts is more about getting amenable combinations of mob set/density, build conducive tileset, and advantageous pylon type and placement (all of which amounts of fishing a phenomenal amount of grifts for that combo) than it is seeing AOE markers.

Turbohud sounds amazing for the raw info stuff but I think it's pushing it too far with the warnings for elite packs and all the overlay stuff of each and every mob and AOEs.

This gives you a legs up vs others without it because it cuts through the mess which blizzard should have solved long ago.

Fuck I'm gonna check it out for the info.

Tried it out, like almost everything on the screen is redundant info and adds a bit of lag to the game. The biggest thing is that it draws a huge chunk of map ahead of you so you can't really get lost or hit much dead ends and warns of exarchs/angels/elites way ahead of you which I don't really need the app for so it's no good.

63b8hHQ.jpg

Went and made a seasonal DH (thanks JoeMartin and Fularu for hoisting me on your backs) and so far I've managed to get 4 pieces of the multi shot set with a pretty good looking DML. Missed out on the kadala change, so it seems like the rarity of the gear is higher now but the nice thing before was you could easily outfit yourself with some rares upon hitting 70. What's the best build to use until I finish a set these days? Still cluster bomb?

Went and made a seasonal DH (thanks JoeMartin and Fularu for hoisting me on your backs) and so far I've managed to get 4 pieces of the multi shot set with a pretty good looking DML. Missed out on the kadala change, so it seems like the rarity of the gear is higher now but the nice thing before was you could easily outfit yourself with some rares upon hitting 70. What's the best build to use until I finish a set these days? Still cluster bomb?

MMm, you can kinda do whatever depending on what pieces you have. I stilled rolled with multi-shot before finishing the set just to get used to it. When/if I'm on you can leech some gear from me too as I'm pretty much set aside from more minor, hard to find upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom