• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem i have with my DH is hatred. i probably need a cindercoat and resource reduction because after about 5-6 shots i am out of hatred and it does not regen very fast so i'm forced to use a generator. just feels clunky to me.

I'm guessing you're using the cluster arrow setup? That skill costs a lot of hatred and for a good reason. It does silly amounts of dmg. The reason there's a build designed around it is because you can get a Cindercoat \ pride's fall \ AND preparation - punishment.

I think preparation is pretty much required for the CA build (uses discipline to give you more hatred). When I use Pride's Fall, I honestly lose count of how many cluster arrows I can fire before I'm out of hatred. Something like 30. And that is 18-30 million per crit. 20 extra discipline from the Natalya bonus really helps. Combine that with the extreme mobility of demon hunters (vault vault vault), and rifts go really fast. T3 elites are dead on my screen almost as fast as they appear.

I've moved away from Pride's Fall in favor of having all 5 companion types active at once. It's more fun. But I might switch back once I get an immortal companion relic. 100% pride's fall uptime and 50% dmg reduction seems too good.

But yeah, you NEED the resource reduction or hatred just seems impossible to keep up. This is why I want all the pieces needed for a physical pet build before I switch. Without taskers, I think CA trumps it.

When it comes to my wizard, I don't like arcane torrent because I have to stop to use it, and it only hits a small area. I like disintegrate more, but it doesn't do as much dmg. I'm definitely going to go towards fire, but I need some fire pieces first. Having just a mirrorball isn't enough I dont think. Im basically farming shards on my DH to spend on my wizard trying to get magefists and Cindercoat first.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I will be online soon, so if anyone needs to get into the NA GAF official clan, let me know.

Send me a PM here with your Battletag, or ask for me on Community chat. (Search for the GAF community) If you go through comm chat I will ask for you to PM me here to verify you are a member.

GAFO and GAFMAX probably should have disbanded as well to help with the confusion of the shift.

Fucking pitiful, the official forums. I hate going there.

A guy said to someone with pretty top tier fire gear @ paragon 421.

Shaming people for using gearbuilds is one of the things I can not stand about this game and its players. Luckily that doesn't happen here =)

I try and stay away from that shithole at all costs.

On a sidebite, I found a marauders head piece last night and rolled CC on it.

Is my DH going to become a WD if I build that way? I go for the full set bonus?

garath

I am a ring of grandeur away from a respectable zoo build myself. Have 3 maurader's pieces right now. Get a cloak of the garwulf (I got one dropped and one from Kadala) for the 3 wolves then go for the 4 maurader set bonus to bring out all the animals. Tack on some companion damage and maybe a tasker and theo glove and voila. Army of animals attacking for you. Make it even more interesting with a bombadier's rucksack and 5 sentries. It's a viable build.

Is there an EU gaf clan that's active then? (only saw the NA one mentioned)
my clan was highly active till the last week now there's barely 4 people online most of the time

Definity

The mystic should be able to retire early with all the money I've forked over to her!
I had a decent sum of money when RoS hit but it's all gone now. Gold sinks. Gold sinks everywhere!

I will be online soon, so if anyone needs to get into the NA GAF official clan, let me know.

Send me a PM here with your Battletag, or ask for me on Community chat. (Search for the GAF community) If you go through comm chat I will ask for you to PM me here to verify you are a member.

GAFO and GAFMAX probably should have disbanded as well to help with the confusion of the shift.

When I left GAFO I passed the leadership on in the event that people still wanted to stay in it. It wasn't super active but, was still being used and I didn't want to pull the rug out on anyone, so to speak. I put up all of the necessary notes about where to go and what to do to get in the main now. The guy who is leading it now (Kn1ves24) can disband it if it's decided that is the best thing.

Another thing is it might be nice to keep one of them up so people have a place to go once the new main hits 150.

You're faced with a choice.

6 mara bonus (including chest armor) + taskers + rucksack = pets + powerful sentries

4 mara bonus + garwulf + taskers + rucksack = more pets + sentries

I'd prefer the latter option, since I think wolves are better at keeping enemies off me than sentries).

Another idea (assuming you can get the bow....) is to use a Kridershot + frost arrow + cull the weak. You apply the slow with krider and the pets do even MORE dmg. I have no idea if this is viable but I WANT TO TRY IT SO MUCH. Sadly, I know I'll never ever ever get a krider OR taskers OR mara boots so... why bother =(

I am a ring of grandeur away from a respectable zoo build myself. Have 3 maurader's pieces right now. Get a cloak of the garwulf (I got one dropped and one from Kadala) for the 3 wolves then go for the 4 maurader set bonus to bring out all the animals. Tack on some companion damage and maybe a tasker and theo glove and voila. Army of animals attacking for you. Make it even more interesting with a bombadier's rucksack and 5 sentries. It's a viable build.

Ha ... Well I didn't start a DH for a pet build, but it sounds like fun regardless. So you only go for the 4 set bonus?

6 mara bonus (including chest armor) + taskers + rucksack = pets + powerful sentries

I'd prefer the latter option, since I think wolves are better at keeping enemies off me than sentries).

Another idea (assuming you can get the bow....) is to use a Kridershot + frost arrow + cull the weak. You apply the slow with krider and the pets do even MORE dmg. I have no idea if this is viable but I WANT TO TRY IT SO MUCH. Sadly, I know I'll never ever ever get a krider OR taskers OR mara boots so... why bother =(

I have a tasker on my WD. Maybe I'll get lucky again. Thanks for the info!

Discobird

the problem i have with my DH is hatred. i probably need a cindercoat and resource reduction because after about 5-6 shots i am out of hatred and it does not regen very fast so i'm forced to use a generator. just feels clunky to me. on my wizard when i was using arcane torrent i could channel it until everything was dead and still have half my power left which would be back to full in a few seconds. i never had to use a generator. now with MM and mirrorball i dont even need a spender so i can have 100% uptime of damage. it's just so much nicer.

You are using Preparation:punishment yes? That is mandatory for a CA DH unless you are one of those lucky souls with legacy flat CA cost reduction gear. No ifs, ands or buts.

This is why I want all the pieces needed for a physical pet build before I switch. Without taskers, I think CA trumps it.

Surprisingly you don't need a T&T for the physical build to pull ahead. I'm running the zoo build with some rather crappy Marauder's gloves and CA:SS and it already clears faster than my CA:LFB build on T3 and up. CA:SS with Ballistics and area damage is very strong (rockets proc area damage) but I don't think it works well without a Pride's Fall, so if you are relying on Marauder helm for your 4 pc you might not see an improvement over your fire spec.

Surprisingly you don't need a T&T for the physical build to pull ahead. I'm running the zoo build with some rather crappy Marauder's gloves and CA:SS and it already clears faster than my CA:LFB build on T3 and up. CA:SS with Ballistics and area damage is very strong (rockets proc area damage) but I don't think it works well without a Pride's Fall, so if you are relying on Marauder helm for your 4 pc you might not see an improvement over your fire spec.

For the mara set, I have gloves, shoulders, chest, pants and helm. I suppose I could try using gloves instead of the helm. That would allow me to use a Pride's. No way I'm using the chest. I honestly feel like the mara chest and nats chest are the 2 most pointless set items for Demon Hunters (other than the entire shadow set, lol). They compete with too many BiS items for their respective builds (cindercoat \ garwulf).

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot once I get some more physical items.

Can you link me your profile?

ferr

Sub out marauder chest for garwulf and use RoRG to get the 6pc. Use Helltrapper. Also that passive that increases sentry count. I'm not a big fan of sentries, though, too much standing around.. so I doubt I'd ever go after this build.

I still have some gear I want for my CA:LFB build, but I'm collecting random pieces for physical chakram zoo. I think I'd rather have the 4pc mara bonus and 3pc nats bonus in that build. Tasker and Garwulf are the must haves beyond the sets.

Also, what I wouldn't do for hexing pants so I could make some sort of strafe build. Strafe is the funnest ability evar. Oh and I dream of Kridershot+Frostburn some day.

Also, what I wouldn't do for hexing pants so I could make some sort of strafe build. Strafe is the funnest ability evar. Oh and I dream of Kridershot+Frostburn some day.

Can you expand on this further. I found a super sweet set of hexing pants the other night. I tried stutter stepping, but didn't like the feel of it.

Boogdud

Seeing things like this combined with the leaked weighted drop rates, really has me questioning how much more time I want to spend grinding. Looking for specific items you have basically a 1.6% chance to get a legendary item, then compound that with the abysmally low % chance of the item you're actually trying to get. The mind reels.

I know a lot of you guys obviously have a LOT of time to spend in the game, but for an average person it's pretty absurd.

Of course, there really isn't an "end game". So I guess maybe that's the issue?

Don't get me wrong, I find the game really fun, the action is great. But how long can that carry you when you don't get any upgrades?

Discobird

For the mara set, I have gloves, shoulders, chest, pants and helm. I suppose I could try using gloves instead of the helm. That would allow me to use a Pride's. No way I'm using the chest. I honestly feel like the mara chest and nats chest are the 2 most pointless set items for Demon Hunters (other than the entire shadow set, lol). They compete with too many BiS items for their respective builds (cindercoat \ garwulf).

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot once I get some more physical items.

Can you link me your profile?

Sure, here you go: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Discobird-1370/hero/19327335

Sub out marauder chest for garwulf and use RoRG to get the 6pc. Use Helltrapper. Also that passive that increases sentry count. I'm not a big fan of sentries, though, too much standing around.. so I doubt I'd ever go after this build.

Yeah but that means you lose T&T which is huge.

I didn't really think I would like sentries either but you don't just throw them out and stand around, you throw them and then keep doing what you were doing (clicking your spender or what have you). I do wish they didn't cost an attack animation because it feels clunky to interrupt my shooting to place them. Would be cool if they were cast instantly like Caltrops or Fan of Knives.

Seeing things like this combined with the leaked weighted drop rates, really has me questioning how much more time I want to spend grinding. Looking for specific items you have basically a 1.6% chance to get a legendary item, then compound that with the abysmally low % chance of the item you're actually trying to get. The mind reels.

I know a lot of you guys obviously have a LOT of time to spend in the game, but for an average person it's pretty absurd.

Of course, there really isn't an "end game". So I guess maybe that's the issue?

Don't get me wrong, I find the game really fun, the action is great. But how long can that carry you when you don't get any upgrades?

Farming for higher torments is the current endgame. We all play until we get burned out. I think tiered rifts and leader boards will help extend the time in which it takes to reach this point.

Maybe ladders are your cup o' tea as their complete resets to keep the carrot closer.

taybul

Regarding DH hatred, I use both CA:LfB and Multishot with Suppression fire (discipline returned on hit) as spenders and it's been pretty great for resource regen. I've also stopped using Night Stalker altogether. There are often tight mobs in rifts so a few sprays of MS fill up my disc quickly which I then prep for hatred.

ferr

Can you expand on this further. I found a super sweet set of hexing pants the other night. I tried stutter stepping, but didn't like the feel of it.

Do they even work with stutter stepping? I heard there is no grace period. Hex is made for abilities like whirlwind and strafe where you're constantly in motion. So with Pride's Fall and Cindercoat there is a cap (or diminishing return?) on resource reduction that shows up at 50%. RCR can go on top of that I believe, but I don't know if it's enough to have infinite strafe. Hex gives that extra 2-3 HR/s that may be needed in addition to the damage bonus.

Hex is very rare so finding anecdotal evidence on the build isn't too easy. I doubt it'd be viable in T4+ but T3 would be fun.

Do they even work with stutter stepping? I heard there is no grace period. Hex is made for abilities like whirlwind and strafe where you're constantly in motion. So with Pride's Fall and Cindercoat there is a cap (or diminishing return?) on resource reduction that shows up at 50%. RCR can go on top of that I believe, but I don't know if it's enough to have infinite strafe. Hex gives that extra 2-3 HR/s that may be needed in addition to the damage bonus.

Hex is very rare so finding anecdotal evidence on the build isn't too easy. I doubt it'd be viable in T4+ but T3 would be fun.

I need a prides fall. Did you guys get from Kadala?

RDreamer

Damn, I misread the set bonus on Marauders. Thought I needed 1 more piece to get all companions, so I went on a quest for Royal Ring of Grandeur today. I got it, and it even respectfully re-rolled for me pretty decently! Turns out you need 4 pieces to get all companions, though! Curses!

Oh well, now I get to just sit and wait for that last piece to come to me.

Discobird

Yes the Hexing Pants do work with stutter stepping, there is a very brief grace period after you stop before the buff becomes a debuff. I have a pair and this was the first thing I tested.

RCR is not subject to a cap, but different sources stack multiplicatively rather than additively. So two sources of 10% RCR will equal 19% reduction (1-0.9*0.9) rather than 20%. Same thing with CDR. Otherwise there would probably be corner cases where people could obtain 100% RCR/CDR or close to it.

DEO3

How do you get Rift keys? I dont do many bounties but I'm always running out of keys.

Joining one of the split rift communities will net you five keys and a cache every couple of minutes. Put in a solid thirty minutes and you'll have 50+.

How do you get Rift keys? I dont do many bounties but I'm always running out of keys.

I had 500 after farming an RoG. I've since farmed another 100 or so. I've been lucky enough to group with people using the RIF community a ton too. Which is great, because I would much rather play the rift than leech and farm bounties.

bcl0328

When it comes to my wizard, I don't like arcane torrent because I have to stop to use it, and it only hits a small area. I like disintegrate more, but it doesn't do as much dmg. I'm definitely going to go towards fire, but I need some fire pieces first. Having just a mirrorball isn't enough I dont think. Im basically farming shards on my DH to spend on my wizard trying to get magefists and Cindercoat first.

if you have %elemental damage of something other than fire then yea it's probably not worth it. i only had 40% arcane and dropped to 20% for 60% fire with mm/conflag. since it pierces you can hit almost everything in a cone. it's really fun with a lot of attack speed.

Vade

It is a .5-1 second period, so if you SS really well you can probably have around 75 % up keep time.

Is it any Acts or is it just Act 1? I guess I'll find out.

It's just a community dedicated to split farming. You find a group willing to do what you want to do. Just say in chat "anyone doing or want to do act 3 norm?" Sometimes you just need to start you own group and recruit people. Sometimes people will say they need 1 or 2 more people in their group and you request an invite if it's what you want to do.

I've only done it for act 1, but that's because I got extremely lucky on my Pride's Fall (I was solo clearing act 3 and got 5 caches - pride's fall was in there).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Hmm, another blue post looking for feedback on Rift It Forward.

The Rift it Forward community has been getting a lot of positive review from players, and every member that I personally know says it's awesome. Here's a reddit link for those of you who haven't heard of this community before. How have your experiences been while part of this community? Would you recommend it to your fellow players?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12675108856?page=2#29

Like another poster said, I bet they're internally debating nerfing it and they're looking for feedback to test the waters. ("Three people are getting carried without needing any gear and they only need to play a fraction of the time!"... "sure, but people like it and we don't want to see the player base get much lower"...)

The most efficient playstyles (split farming bounties and RIF) involve splitting up and working independently. Blizzard's carefully worked group mechanics, character balance and group skills really don't matter much for high end play right now.

If they treat it as a problem, it could be solved with participation-dependent rewards - reduce legendary / gold / exp / shard yield to the % of the required kills the player got experience on. Kill 40/400 mobs, get 1/10 of the rewards from the rift guardian and quest, etc.

Then again, maybe they'll decide it's an acceptable kind of emergent gameplay and they just roll with it. Really curious to see how they handle things.

Hmm, another blue post looking for feedback on Rift It Forward.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12675108856?page=2#29

Like another poster said, I bet they're internally debating nerfing it and they're looking for feedback to test the waters. ("Three people are getting carried without needing any gear and they only need to play a fraction of the time!"... "sure, but people like it and we don't want to see the player base get much lower"...)

The most efficient playstyles (split farming bounties and RIF) involve splitting up and working independently. Blizzard's carefully worked group mechanics, character balance and group skills really don't matter much for high end play right now.

If they treat it as a problem, it could be solved with participation-dependent rewards - reduce legendary / gold / exp / shard yield to the % of the required kills the player got experience on. Kill 40/400 mobs, get 1/10 of the rewards from the rift guardian and quest, etc.

Then again, maybe they'll decide it's an acceptable kind of emergent gameplay and they just roll with it. Really curious to see how they handle things.

If they nerf split bounties, that alone will have its impact on the RIF community as low level people will not have as many keys to use for leeching.

I might be the odd man here , but I would be fine with nerfing both, as long as they make bounties more fun and less tedious.

I can understand where Blizz is coming from if they do nerf RiF and split bounties, but seriously they need to take away and giveth! They just can't keep nerfing shit with massive game changing bugs still there that have been known for a long time. They can't nerf RiF and splits without addressing the issue behind why people are so satisfied and happy to participate in those communities. You should never be able to do a T6 rift without at the very least, one Forgotten Soul drop. That alone is insane to me. Working up to be able to handle T6 rifts should at least give you the benefit of providing a linear progress toward improving your gear, since we all know the chances of improved gear dropping are so damn low.

StMeph

Nerfing split bounties would result in an indirect nerf to RIF anyway, since the rate of earning rift shards would be greatly reduced.

Improving the loot yield of bounty caches would also reduce the rate of rift shards, though people would probably be less up-in-arms with this change.

And since they're adding multiple tiers of rifts, I would expect any rift-related changes to all be pushed through together.

- no more split bounties (no credit if not in zone)
- better chance of cache-specific legendaries from bounty rewards
- better chance of legendaries in rifts the deeper you go
- less blood shards per rift boss
- more blood shards per bounty cleared​

I would not look forward to that, but it would force the situation to change to push people to do content in groups for better rewards, which tends to be Blizzard's thing.

Nerfing split bounties would result in an indirect nerf to RIF anyway, since the rate of earning rift shards would be greatly reduced.

Improving the loot yield of bounty caches would also reduce the rate of rift shards, though people would probably be less up-in-arms with this change.

And since they're adding multiple tiers of rifts, I would expect any rift-related changes to all be pushed through together.

- no more split bounties (no credit if not in zone)
- better chance of cache-specific legendaries from bounty rewards
- better chance of legendaries in rifts the deeper you go
- less blood shards per rift boss
- more blood shards per bounty cleared​

I would not look forward to that, but it would force the situation to change to push people to do content in groups for better rewards, which tends to be Blizzard's thing.

I would be ok with this. I mainly use RiF to bring in 3 people to just help me clear the RG quicker. I prefer to play the game than mindless splitz or leech RiF joins. I just don't want to see RiF or splits nerfed before those improvements you mentioned are implemented. It was the same reason I felt frustrated when they nerfed Sharp Shooter passive with senties for DH's. It was a really fun alternative build that was viable all the way to T6 with the right gear. But nope, back to CA builds for DH's with no changes to address that pigeon hole in sight.

scy

I just hope they add more incentive for a group to keep doing stuff rather than directly nerf RiF. As much as I hate them, basically.

I mainly use RiF to bring in 3 people to just help me clear the RG quicker.

Huh? On average, the RG goes down a LOT slower when I bring in 3 randoms. The RG's HP goes up a LOT with 4 people and you never know what kind of DPS your random guests will have. I only bring in randoms so one of them will open my next rift.

It was the same reason I felt frustrated when they nerfed Sharp Shooter passive with senties for DH's.

That was SO broken though. Seriously XD

Got a RoRG, SOJ and Nats Ring for my DH in the span of about a day, currently have the SOJ sitting in the bank, not super well rolled and im loving the 3p bonus I have from the Nat set.

Now, if only I wernt so squishy. I have the damage for T4, but stick to T3 since im paper thin.

garath

Did invites go out from the spreadsheet signup? I didn't see anything yet. I've been playing intermittently last night though and haven't logged on yet today.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Did invites go out from the spreadsheet signup? I didn't see anything yet. I've been playing intermittently last night though and haven't logged on yet today.

They did for people online. Whisper me or send me a friend request in game and I'll invite you. Granadier#1345

edit: If you post in GAF Community, that would work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom