• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the Nintendo bump ruin Platinum Games?

Tazzu

Their output has only gotten steadily worse, and the reality has probably hit them. Bayonetta 2 was a downgrade from 1 and 3 is a joke. Astral Chain is more forgettable than DMC4. I think its time they return to making games for gamers who will appreciate their work for what it actually is.

The good news is that with Bayonneta 2 turning 10 years, a home console port is imminent. Finally gamers will get what was robbed of them and give PG a reality check and not a Nitnendo cheque.

daclynk

home console port is imminent
Jimmy Fallon No GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Tazzu

Sega were willing to kill the franchise rather than release the sequel, so I'm not sure Nintendo are the bad guy here. It sounds like the demand just wasn't there.

Also: Wonderful 101 - love it or hate it - was pretty much Platinum given free rein to do whatever they want.
That's not true. Each Nintendo entry to Bayonetta franchise has yet to sell on par with the 360 version of Beyonetta in just Japan. How did they save the franchise by depriving gamers from the franchise exactly?

Tazzu

Platinum has way more misses than hits in their history. Some high highs and very low lows. Bayonetta was amazing but the sequels and Astral Chain were crap. They did some pretty terrible licenced games too like that TMNT one. I did like the Transformers game they did though.
Its called the Nintendo bump, if those games were released on Nintedo devices then we wouldn't be hearing the end of it. But unlike the Zelda cycle, Nintendo fans wont be fangirling over their new projects so its only a matter of time before they return to home console.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You could argue that if it weren't for Nintendo giving work to PG, they'd be in a far more dire situation by now, forcing them to either shut down or radically change direction.

But that's not necessarily a scenario that gives you the kind of games you want from them.

Scalebound was cancelled. Most of their other efforts outside of Nintendo were not well received and/or suffered from low quality.

What example do you have from the last decade or so that shows they had a bright future on their own? I can think of Neir and that's it. Not enough to sustain a company.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Never heard this take before. Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta 3 are both amazing, only issue is 3 runs very poorly on the hardware. Even Bayonetta Origins was great.

Astral Chain, TW101 and MadWorld are all fantastic as well if we’re talking ‘Nintendo output’.

StarFox Zero and Babylon’s Fall were pretty crap though.

Last edited:

Fbh

I liked Bayo 2 better than 1.
And I thought Astral Chain was great, it's still one of my favorite Switch games and I had more fun with it than with DMC5.
Not to mention W101 which I obviously love.

So no, I think their era with Nintendo was great. It's their stuff outside of the Nintendo ecosystem (except for Nier) which has mostly sucked, bombed and ruined their reputation

Tazzu

https://www.metacritic.com/game/astral-chain/

https://www.metacritic.com/game/bayonetta-2/

https://www.metacritic.com/game/bayonetta-3/
BEST ACTION GAME 2023. BAYO didnt win anything if i can remember.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/bayonetta-origins-cereza-and-the-lost-demon/
Okami like game. which even capcom gave up on.

So everything they have done best, is partnering with Nintendo.
Again its the Nintendo bump. If Okami came out first on a Nintendo platform we would have a statue of it.

what the fuck did I just read there?
Bayonetta 2 was great, as was Astral Chain. Both are better than DMC5 by a long shot for example, and DMC5 is a pretty good game itself.
I'm not the one comparing the sequels to Bayonetta to any DMC sequel. I'm comparing the sequels to the original Bayonetta, which they never topped.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Oh yeah check out that Nintendo innovation. After this Gamefreak can finally start to PS2 quality graphics on their new games!

Quick Nintendrones, tell us how they are achieving world peace with this!

Nintendo innovation strikes again.

The worst part about these discussions are always the Nintendo fans who have to descend in.

Obviously, Nintendo inflicted trauma upon OP that they have yet to heal from.

kevboard

I'm not the one comparing the sequels to Bayonetta to any DMC sequel. I'm comparing the sequels to the original Bayonetta, which they never topped.

as if that isn't a super common thing. sequels that disappoint people are almost the default.
Bayonetta 2 also is better than the first one in plenty of ways, it just has a different pacing and is more streamlined, which some people dislike but isn't inherently bad.

Astral Chain is also great. it has a unique combat system and almost felt like a PS2 throwback title. this might not be to everyone's taste but they made a unique game the way they wanted...

Lethal01

Their output has only gotten steadily worse, and the reality has probably hit them. Bayonetta 2 was a downgrade from 1 and 3 is a joke. Astral Chain is more forgettable than DMC4. I think its time they return to making games for gamers who will appreciate their work for what it actually is.

The good news is that with Bayonneta 2 turning 10 years, a home console port is imminent. Finally gamers will get what was robbed of them and give PG a reality check and not a Nitnendo cheque.

Astal Chain war probably their best game ever including what they did before platinum.
Bayonetta 3 was more fun than DMC5

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Difference is gamers actually complain about shitty practises whereas Nintendo fans will reward it.
The people complaining about GameFreak's outdated tech are probably a small minority. Just like people complaining about the shortcomings of CoD or FIFA. Like Pokemon, these are mass market products and most consumers will purchase the yearly new edition regardless.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Funny how you left off Babylons Fall (Sony console exclusive with a marketing deal).

Tazzu

The people complaining about GameFreak's outdated tech are probably a small minority. Just like people complaining about the shortcomings of CoD or FIFA. Like Pokemon, these are mass market products and most consumers will purchase the yearly new edition regardless.
Reviewers will even reward developers when it comes to Nintendo.

It runs shitty now, but it will be perfect for the Switch 2!

Majukun

their issue was mismanagement..they started with a stellar roster of directors and a mission, they tried their hand with the first handful of titles but they never found real success, then they pivoted as the guys that made decent to good action games for cheap (korra, mgs rising), but in the meanwhile they lost mikami, kamiya tried the dragon game with MS and ended up burning out cause of it and they gave their best franchise to a guy that did get bayonetta on the production level but had no idea how to make a decently balanced action game

my guess is that after all those failures they had to scale back (also because for a small studio at one point they were juggling A LOT of projects) and they botched the rest..I still think that bayo 3 was heavely modified to reuse some parts and mechanics from the dragon game, and that ended up making it just an ok bayo game

now they have basically just the name, none of the big directors, none of the reputation.

and to answer the question, no the nintendo bump was not the issue, in fact it gave them a temporary boost in reputation in a period where they were already struggling to find money for projects

it's very sad what happened to them

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Reviewers will even reward developers when it comes to Nintendo.

It runs shitty now, but it will be perfect for the Switch 2!

Arent reviewers doing the same with PS5Pro? With Wukong for example.

Tazzu

their issue was mismanagement..they started with a stellar roster of directors and a mission, they tried their hand with the first handful of titles but they never found real success, then they pivoted as the guys that made decent to good action games for cheap (korra, mgs rising), but in the meanwhile they lost mikami, kamiya tried the dragon game with MS and ended up burning out cause of it and they gave their best franchise to a guy that did get bayonetta on the production level but had no idea how to make a decently balanced action game

my guess is that after all those failures they had to scale back (also because for a small studio at one point they were juggling A LOT of projects) and they botched the rest..I still think that bayo 3 was heavely modified to reuse some parts and mechanics from the dragon game, and that ended up making it just an ok bayo game

now they have basically just the name, none of the big directors, none of the reputation.

and to answer the question, no the nintendo bump was not the issue, in fact it gave them a temporary boost in reputation in a period where they were already struggling to find money for projects

it's very sad what happened to them
Bayonetta 3 got 86 on MC, if it wasn't a Nintendo game it would've struggled to get into the 70s.

Majukun

Bayonetta 3 got 86 on MC, if it wasn't a Nintendo game it would've struggled to get into the 70s.
it's not terrible, but it can't hold a canxdle to the original, but that was a masterpiece

I thought astro bot put to sleep the whole "reviewers score game higher just because it's nintendo", but seems like i was mistaken

JimboJones

Your so right, also Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth and Astrobot would have been 65 metacritic average middling games if they where multiplatform as well.

🤡

Last edited:
Top Bottom