• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the Nintendo bump ruin Platinum Games?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
So you're blaming a lot of direction input because of a console manufacturer, even thou the software maker doesn't do a huge hit a long time ago?

Huh

Last edited:

pulicat

Neo Member
Difference is gamers actually complain about shitty practises whereas Nintendo fans will reward it.
COD was the best selling game in the US and FIFA was the best selling game in the Europe. Both games were selling over 20 million units respectively. Can we blame Playstation and Xbox gamers now?

Cereza and the Lost Demon was really good. I enjoyed it a lot more than the mid as fuck Bayo 3.

Platinum has always been a mixed bag with some good highs and some unfortunate lows, sprinkled with some mediocrity.

Robb

Gold Member
I thought astro bot put to sleep the whole "reviewers score game higher just because it's nintendo", but seems like i was mistaken
Astro Bot could’ve gotten a perfect 100/100 and these people would still be complaining that it “would've gotten a 100+ if it was a Nintendo game”.
jiz2cSy.jpg

Porcile

Of the games of theirs that I have played, they have all had some weird shit in them. Bayonetta series has too many QTEs and pointless running around. MadWorld has ridiculous motion controls and eye scarring visuals. Wonderful 101 put dodge and block mechanics as optional upgrades. Rising Revengence has Zandatsu and QTEs that get really old, really fast. Star Fox Zero has dumb controls. Astral Chain tries to do way too much. Sol Cresta is a good but pretty ameutrish attempt at a shmup in many ways and so on and so on.

I'm no Nintendo fan at all, but maybe part of the issue was exclusivity, eg, having Bayonetta 2+3 on on Switch sucks. The Switch hardware pissed me off anytime I used it. I remember seeing videos of Bayonetta 2, and the frame rate and hitching was so bad I wouldn't even try to play it. Of course, the graphics took a hit, too, but that was the sacrifice to run a console level game on a weak tablet. It's a fast-paced game with lots of on-screen movement and effects, but the Switch struggles and just made it so bad, even if people ended up liking it quite a bit, I personally couldn't suffer through that performance. If a game runs like crap it's crap. I don't pay full price for games and accept them running like shit is OK, regardless of platform.

I remember Platnium Games being some sort industry standard when E3 was a still a thing. Vanquish had amazing gameplay, Bayonetta was OTT but absolutely fitted and was super fun. When Meta Gear Revengence was struggling for years, they were announced as the saviours of it basically, and it got really big headlines. Then it felt like after they joined Nintendo, something changed. Their quality was no longer consistent, and instead of seeing their logo on a game and being excited, you started to think it had a real chance to be mediocre at best.

I don't know what happened, but the blame may be more on Platinum Games than Nintendo here. Unless something drastic behind the scenes happened and Nintendo were constantly interfering or demanding X and Y, but who knows at this point?
I think off the top of my head, Xbox had / has a worse reputation of buying studios and then actually killing them. Rare being an example, being reduced to making 3D avatar items for example, while their fans wanted more Banjo etc

Last edited:

Three

You could argue that if it weren't for Nintendo giving work to PG, they'd be in a far more dire situation by now, forcing them to either shut down or radically change direction.

But that's not necessarily a scenario that gives you the kind of games you want from them.
Platinum Games are just idiots. That's what happens when you accept Nintendo money and go full exclusive, serves them right.

am I doing this right gaf?

00_Zer0

That's not true. Each Nintendo entry to Bayonetta franchise has yet to sell on par with the 360 version of Beyonetta in just Japan. How did they save the franchise by depriving gamers from the franchise exactly?
Without Nintendo Bayonetta 2 and 3 wouldn't exist so not sure the logic of having new games in a series vs none at all. The only thing Nintendo had to do with it is funding the games, they are not inherently bad just because they were released on Nintendo platforms. Yes, people are pissed about a Wii U/ Switch only releases because of weaker hardware, but Platinum were free to make whatever game they wanted. I'm actually hoping for a complete trilogy release on Switch 2 with 4K/60 fps gameplay with extras. Maybe owners of the Switch games will get a free upgrade? Or maybe it will cost a small amount? Either way I'm up for it and whatever comes next for Bayonetta.

Chukhopops

Astral Chain was awesome and innovated with their gameplay with a new IP. Bayo 3 was Action GOTY 2021. what are you talking about.
This. But I think the technical limitations really hurt both games, between AC at 30 fps and Bayo3 running at super low res most of the time.

If anything the Bayo series died in the public eye with Bayo 2 since it was a Wii U exclusive for such a long time. And character action games aren’t the most popular genre those days anyway (sadly).

Kikorin

Astral Chain was awesome, soon or later I'm pretty optimistic we'll have a sequel.

Bayonetta 3 was awesome too, but this one will continue as a series no matter what. If they were doing them just for sales, they'd have never acquired the IP and would have let it die after the first chapter.

Woopah

Why would it being 10 years mean there is a port?

Without Nintendo Bayonetta 2 and 3 wouldn't exist so not sure the logic of having new games in a series vs none at all. The only thing Nintendo had to do with it is funding the games, they are not inherently bad just because they were released on Nintendo platforms. Yes, people are pissed about a Wii U/ Switch only releases because of weaker hardware, but Platinum were free to make whatever game they wanted. I'm actually hoping for a complete trilogy release on Switch 2 with 4K/60 fps gameplay with extras. Maybe owners of the Switch games will get a free upgrade? Or maybe it will cost a small amount? Either way I'm up for it and whatever comes next for Bayonetta.
That's mostly true, but there are Nintendo EPD staff who worked on all Platinum's collaborations with Nintendo.

El Muerto

Gold Member
They will certainly be better off if they werent owned by Nintendo. I love all the games from Platinum. Bayonetta was the only reason i got a switch. I dont care about Zelda or Mario either. If their games were on steam they would be making more money, build a bigger fanbase, and put out more games.

Woopah

They will certainly be better off if they werent owned by Nintendo. I love all the games from Platinum. Bayonetta was the only reason i got a switch. I dont care about Zelda or Mario either. If their games were on steam they would be making more money, build a bigger fanbase, and put out more games.
But they are not owned by Nintendo.

Tams

I'm no Nintendo fan at all, but maybe part of the issue was exclusivity, eg, having Bayonetta 2+3 on on Switch sucks. The Switch hardware pissed me off anytime I used it. I remember seeing videos of Bayonetta 2, and the frame rate and hitching was so bad I wouldn't even try to play it. Of course, the graphics took a hit, too, but that was the sacrifice to run a console level game on a weak tablet. It's a fast-paced game with lots of on-screen movement and effects, but the Switch struggles and just made it so bad, even if people ended up liking it quite a bit, I personally couldn't suffer through that performance. If a game runs like crap it's crap. I don't pay full price for games and accept them running like shit is OK, regardless of platform.

I remember Platnium Games being some sort industry standard when E3 was a still a thing. Vanquish had amazing gameplay, Bayonetta was OTT but absolutely fitted and was super fun. When Meta Gear Revengence was struggling for years, they were announced as the saviours of it basically, and it got really big headlines. Then it felt like after they joined Nintendo, something changed. Their quality was no longer consistent, and instead of seeing their logo on a game and being excited, you started to think it had a real chance to be mediocre at best.

I don't know what happened, but the blame may be more on Platinum Games than Nintendo here. Unless something drastic behind the scenes happened and Nintendo were constantly interfering or demanding X and Y, but who knows at this point?
I think off the top of my head, Xbox had / has a worse reputation of buying studios and then actually killing them. Rare being an example, being reduced to making 3D avatar items for example, while their fans wanted more Banjo etc

Complain all you want, but Nintendo were the only ones willing to put the cash in to see Bayonetta 2 finished and released, and Bayonetta 3 even made.

Haven't played Astral Chain of Bayo 3, but Bayo 2 was such an incredibly large jump in quality over 1. I struggle to understand people's obsession with the first game.

Complain all you want, but Nintendo were the only ones willing to put the cash in to see Bayonetta 2 finished and released, and Bayonetta 3 even made.

Stating facts = complaining now? Put down your Nintendo fanboy shield for just a second. I said the Switch was weak hardware, which it was on the day of release. I never even hinted that I was upset that more Bayonetta games were made, I said Bayonetta was OTT in a good way and was super fun. Why would I not want more of that? Why are you creating your own narrative just to be offended? More importantly, I was DEFENDING Nintendo for once, and said it would appear to be on the side of Platinum Games for their apparent lose of consistency. Jesus Christ, grow up.

samstrajack

Neo Member
Bayo 3 isn't as good as 1/2, but it's still a great action title. I feel that the development was hindered by it being clearly planned for a Switch Pro that didn't materialize. Only game I can think of where it graphically looks far worse than it's predecessors do on the same hardware.

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
Regarding Bayonetta 1... I remember back in 2013 people recommended it to me when I asked for hack and slash games because I was missing my God of war dose after finishing GoW 3 and Ascension back to back on Ps3.
Everyone raving about Platinum and Bayonetta saying that it was the superior hack and slash experience back then. That GoW games were not as good and so on.
Tried Bayonetta for 30 minutes and forgot about it. Maybe I had some sort of game fatigue (I used to play for 6 to 8 hours non stop on weekends, and sometimes during the week had a lot of free time) and couldn't get into it.
Maybe I should give it another chance?

Ps: I remember a similar situation after finishing Gears 3 and Judgment, people telling me crazy things about the third person cover shooter by Platinum, I can't even remember its name now. It was cool, played it all, but for some reason didn't enjoy it that much, felt a bit empty and repetitive. I think I had a better time with the one made by Sega Yakuza team.

Top Bottom