• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Warhammer 40K: Space Marine 2 - PS5/Xbox Series X|S/PC Tech Review - Is 60FPS Viable on Consoles?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

We return to the final build of developer Saber's impressively realised take on the Warhammer 40K universe - where locking at 60FPS is a true challenge on today's consoles. PS5 and Series X offer two modes: the curiously labelled Speed mode (for 60FPS performance), and a 30fps quality mode - of which the latter is the more stable choice. On PC there's a huge range of options, and the sky is the limit - though a powerful CPU is recommended in dealing with the game's high level of on-screen enemies. Alex and Tom link up for an in-depth look at the current state of play.

00:00 Introduction
00:55 PS5/Series X Mode Comparison
03:27 30FPS Quality Mode/Series S Frame-Rate Tests
04:18 60FPS Speed Mode Frame-Rate Tests
11:29 PC Shader Compilation Stutter Re-Tested
14:44 PC Optimised Settings versus PS5
18:38 Series S Frame-Rate Test
20:43 Verdict

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
where summary?

What The Hell Hello GIF by StoryMe

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- Current gen only
- PS5/SX have 2 modes, "Speed" and "Quality"
- Series S only has a singular mode

Visuals:
- Speed mode targets 60 FPS with DRS 720p to 1080p which upscales to 4K with FSR2
- Quality mode targets 30 FPS with DRS from 1080p to 1440p which upscales to 4K with FSR2
- Series S 720p to 1080p DRS with FSR2 upscale to 1440p
- Visual quality and features broadly the same across all consoles and modes
- Quality mode has marginal improvement in shadow quality but it's nothing too big
- Performance mode can look 'fuzzy'

- Quality mode's 30 FPS is pretty tightly locked with a single drop here and there and during camera cuts in cut-scenes
- Series S has a few more blips comparatively but is otherwise just as equally well locked to its only 30 FPS mode

Performance:
- PS5 Performance mode targets 60 but has frequent drops to 50's and mid 40's (even in 30's)
- As more enemies come on screen, the performance drops more. When sparsely populated, the game can hit 60 FPS
- One segment with a flame thrower and lots of enemies on screen dips to the mid 30's during combat

- Series X is a marked improvement over PS5 with 10 to 15 FPS higher in same situations
- At worse the flame thrower segment which drops to mid 30's on PS5 drops to mid 40's on SX
- Cut-scenes can run 21% faster on SX compared to PS5
- SX's broader VRR window additionally helps smooth out the drops where PS5 is limited to 48hz (the game does not have native 120hz support)

PC Shader Compilation:
- Alex does not recommend using the TAA option cause it uses FSR 1
- PC version has a robust DRS toggle that helps keep performance on target
- The game is more CPU limited
- Launch version still has shader comp stutters

Last edited:
Yeah with the end of the crossgen games, the era of good 60 FPS modes on console is gone, at least for the demanding ones.

This one's "recommended" requirements was a 5800x CPU, PS5's one is a slightly downgraded 3600 so, yeah no.

Darsxx82

- Current gen only
- PS5/SX have 2 modes, "Speed" and "Quality"
- Series S only has a singular mode

Visuals:
- Speed mode targets 60 FPS with DRS 720p to 1080p which upscales to 4K with FSR2
- Quality mode targets 30 FPS with DRS from 1080p to 1440p which upscales to 4K with FSR2
- Series S 720p to 1080p DRS with FSR2 upscale to 1440p
- Visual quality and features broadly the same across all consoles and modes
- Quality mode has marginal improvement in shadow quality but it's nothing too big
- Performance mode can look 'fuzzy'

- Quality mode's 30 FPS is pretty tightly locked with a single drop here and there and during camera cuts in cut-scenes
- Series S has a few more blips comparatively but is otherwise just as equally well locked to its only 30 FPS mode

Performance:
- PS5 Performance mode targets 60 but has frequent drops to 50's and mid 40's (even in 30's)
- As more enemies come on screen, the performance drops more. When sparsely populated, the game can hit 60 FPS
- One segment with a flame thrower and lots of enemies on screen dips to the mid 30's during combat

- Series X is a marked improvement over PS5 with 10 to 15 FPS higher in same situations
- At worse the flame thrower segment which drops to mid 30's on PS5 drops to mid 40's on SX
- Cut-scenes can run 21% faster on SX compared to PS5
- SX's broader VRR window additionally helps smooth out the drops where PS5 is limited to 48hz (the game does not have native 120hz support)

PC Shader Compilation:
- Alex does not recommend using the TAA option cause it uses FSR 1
- PC version has a robust DRS toggle that helps keep performance on target
- The game is more CPU limited
- Launch version still has shader comp stutters
XSX coming out best in the 2 most technologically demanding multiplatform games recently released.

XSS with a very decent version.

Surprising that the PS5 version is so far from XSX in a comparison and at this point in the generation and the situation being what it is. I suppose they are one of those strange cases that always occur far from the norm.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The state of UE5 games:

A. Consoles with low resolution and awful FSR artifacts/ghosting

B. Capable PC with stutters everywhere

PS5 Pro is becoming a very interesting proposition.

Edit: Not UE5, but same problem nonetheless.

Last edited:
Given the tons of enemies, both large and small, I'm not surprised at the performance. DF speculates that is likely the reason for the frame drops (CPU limited).
I didn't think the PS5 had that big a deficit compared to the SX in CPU though, so maybe something else in addition?

YCoCg

Not even FSR3.1? I get that FSR isn't the best but surely you'd at least use the most up to date and best performing version, especially when your game is upscaling from such low resolutions.

Given the tons of enemies, both large and small, I'm not surprised at the performance. DF speculates that is likely the reason for the frame drops (CPU limited).
I didn't think the PS5 had that big a deficit compared to the SX in CPU though, so maybe something else in addition?
Yeah in terms of CPUs there isn't that much difference (if any at all). Sonethong else is at play here.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lots of shit going on so it probably prefers the wider gpu.

Ps5 pro should run this really well.

1440p and 60fps hopefully.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Are the stutters on PC that bad? I'll wait for a sale if that's the case, maybe they've patched up the game by then.

kevboard

this has to be the biggest framerate advantage we've seen on Series X so far, only Apex Legends' 120fps mode shows a similar difference.

add to that the lack of 120hz on PS5, and damn, this is a clear Series X version for me... but not right away, I'm still playing through EDF6 with friends, and also still need to finish Astrobot and Gori... too much on my plate atm to add this on top of lol

Last edited:

Bojji

This is insane. We're frequently back to PS360-era resolutions. We're a massive step back from the X1X/PS4 Pro in terms of IQ.

Yep, this is quite insane but at the same time most games have that 60fps options and options are great, consoles didn't have them before 2016.
In this case we have so, so 60fps with bad IQ vs. stable, properly frame paced 30fps with decent IQ. Not that bad.

Game is clearly CPU limited:

rJ10ABC.jpeg

So DF (and me) wonder why XSX version performs much better. XSX version is much better with higher FPS and much higher VRR range.

Are the stutters on PC that bad? I'll wait for a sale if that's the case, maybe they've patched up the game by then.

It stutters when some specific effects appear on the screen for the first time, so maybe every 20, 30 minutes (probably more at the start)?

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I guess it’s cool that devs are doing whatever they can to push out 60 fps modes but 720p in 2024 is wild
These are the consequences of wanting to offer a 60fps mode in games designed to run at 30fps on consoles. Looking at the situation on PC it is clear that stable 60fps was impossible.

In other times/generations the 60fps mode would not even be attempted on consoles. But nowadays if you don't offer it it, it's usually a reason for critics to penalize you on Metacritic.

That said, 720-1080p FSR2 IQ-level is perfectly comparable to the native 1080p games of the last gen. It's funny because the use of FSR is criticized a lot, but in many cases including this one, it's its existence that has allowed that "60fps" mode:messenger_grinning_sweat:

winjer

Gold Member
Not even FSR3.1? I get that FSR isn't the best but surely you'd at least use the most up to date and best performing version, especially when your game is upscaling from such low resolutions.

The PC version is confirmed to get an update for FSR 3.1. No word about consoles.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It stutters when some specific effects appear on the screen for the first time, so maybe every 20, 30 minutes (probably more at the start)?
Doesn't sound that bad! Thanks fren.

King Dazzar

It'll be interesting revisiting this and others come November. And in the future even more so if we start seeing PSSR instead of FSR. Interesting times ahead. Lets hope with more positive outcomes.

Top Bottom