• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Warhammer 40K: Space Marine 2 - PS5/Xbox Series X|S/PC Tech Review - Is 60FPS Viable on Consoles?

One more thing to add is that on DLSS Performance on 4K this game can take VRAM usage to nearly 11.5 GB, highest ever for UE5 standard.

Fbh

Gold Member
Seems awful on console.
An easy "wait for $20 or Ps+/gamepass" game.

Oh well, the year has been great to me so I can't really complain about a few games I was looking forward to becoming and easy skip.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
waAe2we.jpeg

Much more for 1080p.
Oof, we can see the massive CPU limitations here. The 4090 is only 21% faster than the 7900 XT and neck-and-neck with the 4080 brothers.

FireFly

Maybe they disabled SMT on the XSX version to run at 3.8 GHz? That would give them a potential 9% advantage in the CPU limited parts.

Radical_3d

What happened to the GPPU era? The last generation was supposed to have computational task aided by the GPU. Did we lost that? Is something that nobody used? I remember the Ubisoft tech demo of AC Unity where they made crowd animation with the One and PS4 GPUs.

BigLee74

Nah, I’ve seen too many to count over the years. I’ve lurked this forum since early 2014 before signing up earlier this year.

I just expected a bit better from adamsapple, but I guess I gave him too much credit.
Mostly peaceful indeed. Unless you cherry pick a screenshot then he’s fucking going for your throat! 😄

Yep, totally went at the man’s throat with my tame posts merely pointing out some disingenuousness.

Yep, I’m the one taking things to the extreme here

Totally not the guy saying this is the “worst performance difference since the PS3 era” accompanied by an intentionally misleading screenshot and a jay z cringe gif lmao

Last edited:

intbal

Credit to XboxEra for locating this old interview where the Saber CEO talks about the future of their engine.

Yes, we are planning on using multiple new hardware features in the upcoming games. We are working on global illumination and realtime reflection technologies based on DirectX raytracing. We are planning on unifying our geometry and LOD authoring pipelines with Mesh shaders. Sampler feedback will be used to help optimize sparse textures and variable rate shaders will deliver a performance boost. We are excited about new technologies coming up in this DirectX update and are always looking for ways to optimize our games by taking advantage of the newest technologies.

So, is Space Marine 2 using mesh shaders and SFS?
Beats me. But it might be one reason that Series X is overperforming in this game.

Portugeezer

45fps at its worst in performance mode is just about acceptable.

35fps in performance mode is shit. And no, fuck PS5 Pro.

Denton

I get Alex's annoyance with shader comp stutter, particularly when the game already has shader precompilation step, but still he somewhat overstates how intrusive it is in this game. One or two dropped frames in 30 minutes and really only at the beginning of the game is not something anyone other than him is gonna notice.

PC version is good as long as one has at least Ryzen 5X.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Beats me. But it might be one reason that Series X is overperforming in this game.
None of those would do anything for lifting supposed CPU limits.
Either it's not CPU limited (on consoles*) or it's got nothing to do with GPU features used/unused.
I guess if it runs better on PS5Pro we'll have that answer.

Ok technically there's a 3rd possibility - it could be only CPU limited on PS5 - the 'API difference' has occasionally cut the other way, even in PS4 era - where GNM implementation was absurdly bad for the CPU in comparison to DX, but that was entirely a software problem.

Last edited:

SKYF@ll

PS5 and "Ryzen5 3600 + RTX2070s" have almost the same benchmarks.
XSX, for some reason, beats the benchmark of the equivalent CPU by 20%.
The difference between the graphics settings of PS5 and XSX is Adaptive Vsync(XSX).
ORdxDlX.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wonder how this'll run on my 5800X + 4070 Super rig. Game looks GREAT, both graphically and fun wise.

Was going to buy it but it turns out it doesn't come out for everyone until Monday. Who the fuck releases a game on a Monday? Damn.

Gaiff

None of those would do anything for lifting supposed CPU limits.
Either it's not CPU limited (on consoles*) or it's got nothing to do with GPU features used/unused.
I guess if it runs better on PS5Pro we'll have that answer.

Ok technically there's a 3rd possibility - it could be only CPU limited on PS5 - the 'API difference' has occasionally cut the other way, even in PS4 era - where GNM implementation was absurdly bad for the CPU in comparison to DX, but that was entirely a software problem.
Impossible to tell by just looking at it, but wouldn’t you say the CPU demands are way too high for what’s on offer? A 7800X3D cannot break past 120 in this game. It doesn’t seem like it should be this CPU-intensive.

Last edited:
Running the game on Ultra with DLSS/Quality on a 5900X + RTX 3090 (no overclocks). Getting about 70-100 FPS depending on zone at 1440P resolution. I can crank out a bit more if I change my CPU Power Performance on Windows, but it wasn't giving enough of a boost to warrant the higher temps. Game is best played on PC IMO. Fantastic gameplay.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Impossible to tale by just looking at it, but wouldn’t you say the CPU demands are way too high for what’s on offer?
Well, we only have CPU measurements on PC side so there's no way to tell what's happening on console.
Anyway, the usual reasons you'd be CPU limited in the scenes shown is driving all those animated entities, and then submitting their draw-calls (depending on how the engine does that). The former would be largely format agnostic (at least without major rewrites between platforms, and multiplatform software just doesn't do this in this day and age) - but the latter could be an order of magnitude faster on 'a' console - and it's also something that could be faster only on 'one' of the consoles.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The cutscene clip that shows the difference has hordes of moving enemies in the scene as well. If it 'is' CPU - it would still be a problem there.

True. I am reminded of Halo 2's fully real time cut-scenes where the AI covenants are attacking MC while he's talking to someone. It's probably running routines in the background.

Last edited:

SKYF@ll

The cutscenes having the same kind of drops shows it's probably not just CPU on consoles. My guess at least.
Focus game engine may consume an unusual amount of memory bandwidth.
PS5 (CPU & GPU): 448GB/s, RTX2070S: 448GB/s, XSX: 560GB/s
If bandwidth had a big impact, a 20% performance difference would make sense.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Remnant 2 last year on my series X seemed to run really well.

True. Though it did not use the full UE5 suite, it did run with Nanite and a very good 60fps on console.

STALKER 2's previews and DF coverage from Gamescom is also pretty good, looks like that's gonna be the next big / good 60fps UE5 game.

intbal

The Series X also has significantly more FPU bandwidth (37% greater read b/w, 54% greater write b/w).
I have no idea how or if that would make any difference in performance. But it's one of the architectural differences between the two CPUs.

Gaiff

SX has a split memory pool though. 10GB at 560GB/s and 6GB at 336GB/s.

DaGwaphics

At least the speed mode is mostly sticking to freesync VRR range on XSX, makes the dips a bit more palatable. Quality mode looks decent enough.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I have no idea how or if that would make any difference in performance. But it's one of the architectural differences between the two CPUs.
CPU workloads that are bandwidth sensitive are very uncommon - and they certainly wouldn't consume anywhere near frametime to amount to double-digit % difference to framerate. You'd need a speed delta of 10x or more for that to meaningfully register on frame times.

skyfinch

XSX coming out best in the 2 most technologically demanding multiplatform games recently released.

XSS with a very decent version.

Surprising that the PS5 version is so far from XSX in a comparison and at this point in the generation and the situation being what it is. I suppose they are one of those strange cases that always occur far from the norm.
Because Xbox is a beast. No wonder Sony is releasing the Pro. They need it to deal with Series X's futuristic processing power.

Top Bottom