• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone trade in games and if so where do you do so? Do you collect?

I don't collect games and I usually trade them in after I'm done with them. I was trading in at EB for years but the last couple of times I traded in at Gamerush. I gotta tell you they give so much more for your used games its stupid. And they run some specials for trade ins on a much more regular basis. I'm glad I found them.

Also, I have a question for you collectors. Why do you collect and how many games are in your collection. Years ago I had a huge NES collection but it was just collecting dust. The only thing I have kept are my old handhelds like Turbo Express and Nomad becuase I actually play those. Why do you keep all the old games you don't play. I've seen people with collections of hudreds and even thousands of games. I'm curious to see what people have collected.

BuddyC

I've had nothing but issues with GameRush. Getting my games on anything resembling a timely basis is akin to pulling teeth. Now, if you've got a decent store or the manager knows what's up (CoryCubed), then cool for you.

I used to refrain from trading, but the economy and job market have put a monkey wrench into that scheme. If I trade now, I tend to do it through Game Crazy. I am comfortable with what they offer me in trades, and I just like the store when compared to other game retailers.

"Gamerush" (Stop pulling my fuckin' leg, it's just Blockbusturd) offers great trade-in prices, but they don't stock every new title like other retailers, they still get all of their inventory on Friday's as per usual with Blockbusturd, they're incapable of special ordering, and unless you only play big shit games; they're fuckin' useless.

An extremely apologetic employee mentioned to me that they were planning on changing their ordering system in the future. Who knows if that's hot air up my ass, or if there's any truth to it. If they want to compete, they had better do something.

I pre-ordered Bujingai through them. I waited a week, or two weeks after the release of the game, hoping they would get it in. They got rental copies the week the game came out, just none for paying customers. I just cancelled my pre-order and used the store credit to pick up some Greatest Hits games.

I took advantage of the recent "Gamerush" trade-in offer to get an additional $5 on each game when you traded in three or more, and picked up Bloodrayne 2. I tried to find Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires, but had no luck. So I used the remaining credit on DVD movies.

"Gamerush" can take a flying fuck as far as I'm concerned. I'm not hearing any apologies from the gears in the clockwork. If you work there, fine. That's your job, I hope you find a better job some day. Blockbusturd's operations blow and I hope they crash and burn.

belgurdo

Banned
I only trade at EB, because of the special deals. I tried to collect, but it got way too expensive, even with bargain titles

I typically sell the games I bought on impulse, or the ones that I know for sure that I will not replay. I keep the rest. So it's about a 50/50 ratio for me.

I generally collect, and if I decide to get rid of stuff that won't go for any decent amount on eBay (totally worth the effort in most cases), I take them to a local used game chain, as they pay better than EB or Gamestop.

Ironclad

I tend to keep all of the games I buy. Stores usually give far less than the game is worth so you might as well keep the game, and give it away as a gift if you really dislike it.

I mostly collect - only sell games that I really hate/ cannot abide:

on the chopping block so far:

Jak
POP 1
Mark of Kri
Bloodwake
Gunvalkrie
Amped
Wreckless
..etc

aku:jiki

I collect, but I also have what I feel is the perfect collecting plan.

Take THUG2 for example. I love the THPS series and definitely collect it (well, the "real" releases, no fringe bullshit like pointless GBA or PS1 ports), but I don't see any reason at all for me to keep THUG2 now that I've beaten and reviewed it. I'm going to sell it and make most of my money back while I still can, and then in a year or two I'll pick it back up, probably in better condition than the copy I have now and at a bare fraction of the price. I do this with everything except stuff like, oh.. I've beaten my copy of The Getaway so I know it's the uncensored one (and to my knowledge you can't tell them apart without simply playing the un/censored mission).

Why one collects stuff is out of my sphere of knowledge though. Cause we're all about hunting and gathering originally? Who knows. I just love games, and adore seeing a bookcase full of gaming goodness every time I enter my room. Also, it's something to spend spare money on. Something to come back to so I don't just waste it all on like weed and donuts.

MoxManiac

I collect, sort of. Not in the sense to have vaulable games, but to have a library of games I like for the rest of my life. Plus owning games gives me more time to complete them, due to a busy schedule.

I do collect 2D fighters though. Meaning that i'll eventually get SvC Chaos when it hits the bargin bin, even though I despise the game.

Bristow

Banned
I don't collect. I happen to have about 30 PC games I've kept over the years, but that's because they would probably only fetch a $1 in trade-in value - if that. Really the only games I've kept for collection purposes are the Blizzard collector editions of Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 (and soon to be WoW.)

Everything else I sell to friends or trade-in at EB.

mCACGj

No, I don't trade games in. I wouldnt call myself a collector, but over the years I have built up a decent collection. The only game I have traded in, in the past 10 years is Pokemon Colosseum...damn that game.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
If I buy a dud I'll trade it in quickly while it still has decent value. (I'm looking at you Mortal Kombat Deception) Ohterwise I just keep 'em, even if I will probably never play them again.

I collect football games. I have about 75 of them, counting multiple console versions.

I just got really sick of being ripped off from other places. I mean c'mon the last time I tried trading in DVDs at EB for credit toward a game the guy behind the counter was laughing and I asked what are you laughing at and he says "You're getting $4" and I said $4 is not bad per DVD and he said "no not per DVD that is for all your DVDs" :|

Anyway, when I went into Blockbuster the other day looking for television boxsets I noticed a banner saying that they would give me $8 minimum for DVDs. Hell, I went home that very instant and got around 10 DVD that I hadn't watched in easily a year. I ended up getting two Halo 2 preordered with deposit. I felt liberated, LOL. For once I didn't get ripped off.

demi

I buy out of impulse when I see a good deal (wario noob lamer what what), so it really adds up over time. After a long time however, I look back at my stack

what.jpg

and think to myself "do i really see the need for these anymore?", especially when looking at the assortment of platformers or generic FPS games. I don't trade these to any simple store however, I'll normally trade to EB for a deal on another game (trade x games get x amount of money on HOT TITLE FOR XBOX, etc.), or simply post on our friendly TRADE/SELL thread.

Speaking of which, go there now and buy my games! Beyotches.

I used to trade-in like crazy, but not anymore. I'm trying to build a nice PS2 collection, so far its going well. I know that PS3 will be BC...so I will be playing these games for a long ass time. Some of the have a pick-up and play quality to them (Gradius V, Freqency, Viewtiful Joe, GTA's) that make thme worth keeping in the long run.

I always try to trade in when a game is at a higher value. I always put the money towards a new game or towards a pre-order regardless of whether the game actually is in need of a pre-order. I haven't paid full price for a game in a long time.

I tend to only keep games that I think are timeless. I usually trade games that I find disposable during EB's trade-3 deals or instead I'll trade for cash at a local used game store.

Someone was asking for my GCN gamelist...

nintendo

1.luigi's mansion
2.super mario shunshine
3.legend of zelda: the wind waker
4.metroid prime
5.aminal crossing
6.pikmin
7.pikmin 2
8.paper mario
9.super smash bros. meelee
10.mariokart: double dash
11.starfox adventures
12.custom robo
13.warioworld
14.wario ware, inc.
15.pokémon colosseum
16.mario golf: toadstool tour
17.kirby airride
18.the legend of zelda: four swords
19.mario party 4
20.mario party 5
21.wave race: blue storm
22.1080 avalanche
23.donkey konga
24.f-zero gx
25.eternal darkness: sanity's requiem
26.metal gear solid: the twin snakes
27.final fantasy: chrystal chronicles

sega

28.super monkey ball
29.super monkey ball 2
30.skies of arcadia legends
31.sega soccer slam
32.sonic mega collection
33.sonic adventure dx
34.sonic sonic heroes
35.billy hatcher and the giant egg

capcom

36.mega man aniversary collection
37.mega man network transmission
38.p.n.03
39.viewtiful joe
40.capcom vs. snk
41.resident evil rebith
42.resident evil zero
43.resident evil 2
44.resident evil 3 nemesis
45.resident evil code veronica x

ea

46.medal of honor frontline
47.medal of honor rising sun
48.lord of the rings the two towers
49.lord of the rings the return of the king
50.007 agent under fire
51.oo7 nightfire
52.007 everything or nothing
53.freedom fighters
54.ssx tricky
55.fifa soccer 2002
56.fifa soccer 2003
57.2002 fifa world cup

lucasarts

58.star wars rogue leader
59.sw rebel strike
60.sw jedi knight ii: jedi outcast
61.sw bounty hunter
62.sw the clone wars

activision

63.tony hawk's pro skater 3
64.tony hawk's pro skater 4
65.tony hawk's underground
66.spider-man
67.spider-man 2
68.true crime streets of la

ubisoft

69.rayman 3
70.splinter cell
71.beyond good and evil
72.prince of persia
73.xiii

namco

74.namco museum
75.i-ninja
76.soul calibur 2
77.pacman vs/pacman world 2
78.tales of symphonia

universal/vivendi

79.metal arms glitch in the system
80.the simpsons hit & run
81.the hobbit
82.sphinx and the cursed mummy
83.hulk
84.buffy the vampire slayer: chaos bleeds

aklaim

85.vex
86.turok evolution
87.crazy taxi
88.extreme-g 3
89.xgra

majesco

90.bomberman generation
91.bomberman jetters
92.blowout

atari

93.ikaruga
94.godzilla destroy all monters melee
95.enter the matrix

others

96.timesplitters 2
97.second sight
98.robotech battlecry
99.conflict: desert storm
100.harvest moon: a wonderful life
101.cubivore: survival of the fittest

I collect.

I sell games on EBay. Console games hold their value really well over PC Games, and it's one of the reasons I'll buy a Console game over a PC game. Well unless the PC version is just way better.

Top Bottom