• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Review Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 125677
  • Start date

Miletius

I think the reviews are fine, all things considered. The only dislike I have is the tendency that some of the reviews have (both positive and negative) to make the game a referendum on the Wii U and in some cases Nintendo, rather than talking about more of the game itself. Reviews by nature should consider the value of a purchase overall (which might include a system) but I'm not sure that putting Nintendo's woes front and center (again) makes for good reading.

daninthemix

Eurogamer: DKCR - 9, calls DKC: Tropical Freeze "a superior game" - 7

That sort of thing makes your publication look idiotic in my eyes. It literally makes no fucking sense.

That ignores the effect of time. A game receiving 9/10 in 1990 that gets a slightly improved sequel today will not be worthy of 10/10, because 10/10 means something different now than in 1990. The same is true even for a period of only several years.

Do XBO games get points deducted for not using the Kinect? Off-TV play is more use than the Kinect gets in most games. What about the PS4, do games lose points if they don't make extensive use of the touchpad on the DS4?

What does that mean? The reason to buy a Wii U in order to play it, is because you fucking need a Wii U to play it. What other reason is there? Do you need to buy an Xbox One or PS4 to play their exclusives, other than the fact that, you know, they're exclusives? Does someone sit there playing Dead Rising 3, and go, "*sigh* there is like, no reason to buy an Xbox One in order to play this game..."

Getting really tired of this shit...

I like you. It is rather odd some of the complaints against Wii U games.

watershed

Banned
It looks like the more negative reviews mostly share the same sentiment that haunts many Nintendo games, namely: the game is well made and a lot of fun but doesn't feel new or offer enough fresh ideas.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
another solid exclusive for the console. realy oasis in the desert, but sweeety oasis! can't wait to play this game next week (I've almost finished Rayman, so I'm almost ready!!!)

Gannd

Banned
It looks like the more negative reviews mostly share the same sentiment that haunts many Nintendo games, namely: the game is well made and a lot of fun but doesn't feel new or offer enough fresh ideas.

Not nearly as new and as fresh as Assassin's Creed IV or Uncharted 4.

Arkage

Banned
Eurogamer: DKCR - 9, calls DKC: Tropical Freeze "a superior game" - 7

That sort of thing makes your publication look idiotic in my eyes. It literally makes no fucking sense.

I think it's like Fallout 3/NV. Most though Fallout 3 was great, averaged 90. Most thought NV was even better, averaged low 80s. There are other examples too. The been-there-done-that feeling can lower a review score since there's a lack of risk involved. Higher risk and innovation gives bigger review score payoffs if done successfully, and the Eurogamer reviewer thought almost the entire game was already well-trod ground with little innovation. Despite this it still got a 7, so I'd say it's a fair review.

Of course this isn't always true. The Mario series seems immune to this, despite it's indisputable been-there-done-that feeling.

lights

GameSpot

THE GOOD
- Exciting and challenging boss battles
- Vehicle sections help to break up the more monotonous moments

THE BAD
- Dull, derivative level design
- Employs some cheap and frustrating platforming tricks
- Harsh checkpoints during boss battles

What?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm just tired of hearing the words "Dark Souls" whenever something is difficult, like if that game actually invented it.

This too.
I still remember how the ZombiU devs were trying to bring up Dark Souls every chance they got, trying to ride that wave of popularity.

Sadist

I'm kind of baffled by Eurogamer's review. Not the grade (who gives a shit) but the last paragraph strikes me as odd. If the game is a good follow-up, who cares what possibly might happen next? That's irrelevant.

I'm just tired of hearing the words "Dark Souls" whenever something is difficult, like if that game actually invented it.

Like how so many people say they should make Zelda more like Dark Souls.

How about you play Dark Souls and leave every other franchise alone. Homogenised gaming isn't something we should be pursuing. Also Zelda did was Dark Souls is doing in the 80's.

Lots of very positive scores/reviews. Most of the complaints on the negative ones are about things I don't give a shit about. Was it indeed Mcshae who did the GS review? I don't want to give them a click.

Like how so many people say they should make Zelda more like Dark Souls.

How about you play Dark Souls and leave every other franchise alone. Homogenised gaming isn't something we should be pursuing. Also Zelda did was Dark Souls is doing in the 80's.

Yup. Dark Souls was very much like the original Zelda/Metroid. I always laugh when people say those franchise should be more like Dark Souls, when really what they are saying is those franchises should go back to their roots.

The Boat

My review will be a little late, but it's a fantastic game. You can tell Retro still had a lot to give to the franchise, the level design is absurdly good, the levels are longer and filled with ideas and no two are alike. The progression and pacing is a thing of beauty, excuse the cliches, but some sections are very gripping and kept me on the edge of my seat.

The music is, of course, brilliant and the graphics are clean and detailed with fluid animations. Never spotted a drop from 60 fps, but I'm not the most eagle eyed of players. Loved the artistic direction and the enemy design is great, better than Tikis that were just passable in my book and much better than the kremlins, which I find atrocious.

The game is definitely geared towards single player, it's good to have the option to play with a friend, but the system is a bit more complicated than it should be, dropping in and out isn't as simple as in Mario games. Loading are long, I'd say usually around the ten second mark, but I only timed it twice, one I got 10 seconds and the other time 14 seconds.

It's a pure, no bs, 2D side scrolling platformer and a brilliant one at that.

Kriken

Why in the world is "Harsh checkpoints during boss battles" a negative in the Gamespot review? Were there even checkpoints in the DKCR boss battles?

This has Pro Controller support, right? if so, I'll bite.

But I'm still salty.

It should support the pro controller

Exile20

So, kind of boring unless you really love platformers that kick your ass?

Was to be expected. Nothing about the footage shown pre-release garnered any shred of excitement out of me, personally.

Now go and do something actually fun, Retro.

These posters that freaked out when it was Donkey Kong and not Metroid or something are just funny.

This game looks great and I am getting it day one.

FamilyGamerTV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrgRFC0COlY

Arkage

Banned
This too.
I still remember how the ZombiU devs were trying to bring up Dark Souls every chance they got, trying to ride that wave of popularity.

I'd argue that was actually warranted, considering that when you died you started back without your equipment and had to go find your body, and if you didn't you lost your stuff. Very similar death penalties.

OwlyKnees

Sounds exactly like what I'd hoped for. Particularly liked the GameXplain review, as per usual.

Should hold me over until Dark Souls II.

Exile20

You mean like these games?

Not innovative enough apparently.

BTW here are some other reviews from him:

Assassin's Creed 3: 9/10
Assassin's Creed 4: 9/10
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: 10/10
Far Cry 3: 10/10
GTAV: 9/10
Bioshock Infinite: 10/10

Cause the same reviewer at eurogamer gave these scores.

kinggroin

Banned
Some of these tangents or asterisks to the reviews just muddy up the message that seems to be the great majority; this game is very good.

So I'm sold, Nintendo politics be damned.

Why in the world is "Harsh checkpoints during boss battles" a negative in the Gamespot review? Were there even checkpoints in DKCR?

It should support the pro controller

Yeah, those pigs that wave their flags when you pass them. I don't know in there were checkpoints in boss battles though

Exile20

Re-read his post.

"Other reviews from him"

Not that he's right. I'd look into it first.
What?

the first poster said that reviewers gave the game a bad score because "doesn't feel new or offer enough fresh ideas"

I replied that the same reviewer gave these games high scores and they offered nothing " new or offer enough fresh ideas" especially AC

nullpoynter

It's sounds like Nintendo playing it safe. Of course, Nintendo playing it safe still leads to great games... Great games can still seem boring though lol.

What's wrong with playing it safe or using a tried and true formula for a game? I don't understand why so many people think that there has to be some sort of innovation every time a new game releases. A game can still be truly great even though it may reuse the same formula as a previous game. You don't always have to reinvent the wheel to make a fun game. I still enjoy the hell out of Mario games even though they haven't really changed that much over the years. I think some people just expect too much these days. They want more more more more.

Sadist

What's wrong with playing it safe or using a tried and true formula for a game? I don't understand why so many people think that there has to be some sort of innovation every time a new game releases. A game can still be truly great even though it may reuse the same formula as a previous game. You don't always have to reinvent the wheel to make a fun game. I still enjoy the hell out of Mario games even though they haven't really changed that much over the years. I think some people just expect too much these days. They want more more more more.
I like this

Top Bottom