• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Review Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 125677
  • Start date

Lijik

Theres a lot of positive reviews, and the negative ones are focused on vague "Its just another platformer!" criticisms, or weird "Will Donkey Kong save the Wii U?" positions. I'll see when I play it for myself, but from glancing at the reviews and based on the footage i've seen I think it'll be a great time.

Problem I see with general reviewers is most of them are too ignorant/too young/inexperienced/uninterested in regards of platform games to be able to express a pondered, meaningful opinion. For them, a platform game is unoriginal in its own premise, just for the fact of being a platform, and they are more or less all the same. It's easy, at this point, seeing the better judged title to be the one that appealed the reviewer more for his personal reasons/taste, mainly from an aesthetics standpoint I think, or maybe even because he has a better time with an easier game that just flows, like Rayman (but then he misses completely the point of what a platform game always has been and should be). At least, I can't think of any other explanation when asserting DKCTP to be "one of the least exciting platformers played in some time" like Gamestop reviewer does (and I like to know what these platforms are actuallt, maybe we all missed them, uh?).
I've been feeling this way for a while. Its unreal how many times "Its just another platformer" is used as a catch-all criticism of the genre regardless of what the game is actually doing or not. Even back in the PS2 days criticisms like "Its focused too much on collecting" just seemed to mean "I didnt like this one so let me trot out a generic complaint" more than anything else. Its hard to find criticism of the genre with any nuance in the games press EDIT- just so it doesnt seem like Im complaining solely about negative reviews, even positive reviews tend to operate in broad strokes. Although I think thats a complaint that could be lobbied at most reviews

The Gamespot review was invalidated to me the moment I read that he thought Rayman Legends is a game filled with elegant puzzles and platforming challenges. Not saying it's a bad game, but challenging it was not and its level-design was a load of copy/paste with a different wrapper.

While Legends is an easier game that lowers the barrier to feeling like you're flowing through a stage like Origins/DKCR's time trials, I have to disagree with this bit. There was usually a new element of some sort in each stage, and the basic elements aren't any more samey than any other platformer. If Rayman Legends counts as copy/paste then imo that leads credence to reviewers saying that Tropical Freeze's level designs are trial/error or dull/derivative.

watershed

Banned
You mean like these games?

Cause the same reviewer at eurogamer gave these scores.
If you believe the eurogamer is being hypocritical in light of his past reviews, that's fine. I was commenting more generally on an opinion shared by most of the lower score reviews. Personally I think Nintendo gets held to a higher standard with their serialized games when it comes to the question of originality sometimes because reviewers genuinely expect more from Nintendo than other developers and sometimes because reviewers feel that Nintendo has become too repetitive and complacent with their tried and true gameplay formulas.

Dawkins

From that Polygon Review

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze got my blood up. Sure, it looks like a kid's game, and I looked ridiculous, as a grown woman telling an oversized cartoon owl to go fuck himself. But I couldn't help it — Tropical Freeze is the kind of difficult, addicting experience that inspires passion. And salty language.

:D

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Allright then.

I think I've added everything posted so far. Give me a heads up if you miss anything!

Axass

It seems like we have a fair, and wide, representation of views in these reviews. I'm a little surprised at the blowback some folks here are contributing. It's not any reviewer's responsibility to be "good enough to have fun" at a game or to grade a game based on some objective truth.

I personally love that we have a continuum of opinions, and I'd like to see it more often. Diversity of opinion is what makes criticism interesting.

This is all coming from someone who's been a Nintendo fan for nearly 30 years, has owned over single Nintendo system (including the Virtual Boy), and considers the DKC series to be my favorite in gaming history.

Yes, in my opinion it is. Games aren't wine, you can't just savour them and pass judgement, your personal ability matters. A LOT.

If you're not good at a particular mechanic/genre, due to your lack of reflexes or cleverness or experience, and you blame it on the game, you're not impartial and fair.

You can't publish a review seen by million of peoples, where you should indicate them more or less what to expect when playing the game, and miss by a light year the mark: as in finding harshly difficult a game which almost everyone finds too easy (not talking of DK here, general example).

If your opinions are going to differ so greatly from those of 99% of the gaming population, you might as well not bother reviewing games, what's the point in doing that? You're not informing anyone*, you're actively creating misinformation, the opposite of what a member of the press or critic should do.

*Aside from that 1%, but to do that you do a disservice to the vast majority.

There's no such thing as absolute objectivity, especially if you take a game by itself, but there are elements one can fairly judge and rate through comparisons with other games, so as to be as impartial as possible. We need no more of these:

"I can imagine, 200 years from now, like our reading of Dickens, the game will be regarded as a catalog of our contemporary travails, an accelerated reality bearing more truth than just gazing at our own reflection."

Reviewers are feeling more and more self-important, they're becoming too subjective in their judgement, I'd go as far as to say that sometimes they're detaching themselves from reality.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 7.0/10

Tom Bramwell said:
The likelihood, then, is that people who played DKC Returns will find Tropical Freeze a little uninspiring. It's a superior game - it looks nicer, it's easier to control on the GamePad than it was on the Wiimote, and there's slightly more to do - but like a lot of Nintendo's recent sequels, that doesn't feel like quite enough. The craftsman has turned in a damn fine table, for sure, but the chances are you already have a table.

Meanwhile...

FIFA 14 - 8.0/10
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - 9.0/10
FIFA 13 - 9.0/10
Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 - 9.0/10
FIFA 12 - 8.0/10
Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 - 8.0/10

Holy shit. This is why I hate games journalism. At least be consistent in your criticisms.

Game looks amazing. Sorry if this has been asked a million times but can you choose to play as Cranky and the other characters in single player or only multi?

Glad review summary threads like this exist so I no longer have to give places like Gamespot my clicks.

I'm so happy Retro is finally done with DK for the time being, lets hope they go back to Metroid, a new IP or something Star Fox related next.

WHAT!? Not until I get my DKC 3:Rise of the Kremlings

Honestly Retro should just continue making games set in the DKC universe it's a really good fit for them.

From that Polygon Review

:D

Did some reviewers really find the owl that difficult? I've seen a couple of people bring it up. It only took me, like, 10-15 tries. That's not much for a DK game.

WHAT!? Not until I get my DKC 3:Rise of the Kremlings

Honestly Retro should just continue making games set in the DKC universe it's a really good fit for them.

I'd love a 3D platformer from them set in this universe. The 3D camera sections look great.

Sounds fine to me. Nintendo charged me for that GamePad when I paid $350 USD for my Wii U so I'd like developers to use it.

And if the game is dull then obviously it's not a system seller.

Honestly, I think you guys are too sensitive.

A Wii U game has to use the gamepad and be a system seller in order for it to be good?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So people that give a shit about game design love the game

People that just want flashy shit dont

Sounds great.
That's not at all what the critics are saying.

That's not to say agree with the criticisms they're leveling at the game, but they have little to do with lack of flashy shit.

Sounds fine to me. Nintendo charged me for that GamePad when I paid $350 USD for my Wii U so I'd like developers to use it.

And if the game is dull then obviously it's not a system seller.

Honestly, I think you guys are too sensitive.

You dont understand the point of the DKCR series if you think their should be gamepad integration; the series is purposefully designed to be a throwback. Gimmickry would be a distraction.

GetemMa

Gamespot said the levels look "bland"

vD7YmWF.gif

That's not at all what the critics are saying.

That's not to say agree with the criticisms they're leveling at the game, but they have little to do with lack of flashy shit.

The amount of criticisms that say that the game is boring, predictable, and does nothing new, when we can look at the level designs and say otherwise, point to journalists that flat out don't have an understanding of what makes a platformer good on a mechanical level.

They care not for mechanics. They want flashy bullshit and instant gratification.

hal9001

Banned
Phew. That's some great reviews all round. It looked like that wasn't going to be the case but thankfully Retro has made another winner.

Oh and it just had to be Gamespot again didn't it.

Josephl64

I really don't believe checkpoints in boss battles should be a thing, but that's besides the point.

Tropical Freeze looks great, it probably won't top 3D World for me, but time will tell...can't wait to play it~

Yes, in my opinion it is. Games aren't wine, you can't just savour them and pass judgement, your personal ability matters. A LOT.

If you're not good at a particular mechanic/genre, due to your lack of reflexes or cleverness or experience, and you blame it on the game, you're not impartial and fair.

You can't publish a review seen by million of peoples, where you should indicate them more or less what to expect when playing the game, and miss by a light year the mark: as in finding harshly difficult a game which almost everyone finds too easy (not talking of DK here, general example).

If your opinions are going to differ so greatly from those of 99% of the gaming population, you might as well not bother reviewing games, what's the point in doing that? You're not informing anyone*, you're actively creating misinformation, the opposite of what a member of the press or critic should do.

*Aside from that 1%, but to do that you do a disservice to the vast majority.

There's no such thing as absolute objectivity, especially if you take a game by itself, but there are elements one can fairly judge and rate through comparisons with other games, so as to be as impartial as possible. We need no more of these:

Reviewers are feeling more and more self-important, they're becoming too subjective in their judgement, I'd go as far as to say that sometimes they're detaching themselves from reality.

I do actually appreciate your POV here, but I think the distinction is that Gamespot's audience is whoever they decide it is, and they're going broader than us.

I don't think it's fair to call anyone posting on GAF representative of 99% of gamers -- we're about as close to a dedicated 1% as there exists in anything. GAF members are more knowledgeable, informed, and skilled than the vast majority of gamers and perhaps even many game reviewers.

Gamespot's not representing us, and I don't think it's unfair or impartial for them not to. If their review staff found the game to be difficult, I think it's fair to say that many others who aren't as into games might as well. For their audience, I think they're actually informing, not creating misinformation.

To each his / her own, though. I think I'm going to love DKC:TF. That's all that matters to me.

Mael

Ah we have another Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn in DKCTF?
It doesn't have miis and barely use motion controls?
-1 on the score.
Reviewers can be so silly

Into

I must have a different skill set, because i found Rayman Origins to be a harder game than DKCR, nothing in DKCR was hard, only the bosses sometimes posed a annoying challenge, the levels were a breeze.

Legends is easier than Origins though, but Legends is also better than Origins and DKCR (to me).

Surprised this game is already at 82, thought it would stabilize at 90 mc, looks good, and surely Retro have improved on the issues in the first game, such as not having annoying motion controls waggle parts.

hachi

Banned
I'm perfectly fine with the Gamepad being used primarily for Off-TV play (which I use all the time), but... am I reading correctly that the Gamepad does not mirror the TV when using both? If so, I hope there's an option to reverse that.

Typically when I play the Wii U with our daughter, she curls up on the couch so that she's only looking at the Gamepad, while I'm looking at the TV (and yes, it's a fine TV set, but 7 year olds these days seem to immediately prefer private screens, hence part of the lure of the Wii U to her). It'll be immensely annoying if she has to always stare at the TV during our multiplayer when she has a perfectly capable screen in her hands.

mf luder

For those criticising Gamecentral, a few excerpts from their review:

They make it sound competent but unremarkable, with too much focus on the past and not enough interesting ideas. Make of that what you will, but I personally find David Jenkins one of the most trustworthy and consistent reviewers in the business.

I would agree with you on the whole and have read their pages since teletext days but they've never liked donkey kong country, any of them, they consider them competent at best so their reviews of them don't mean anything to me as I have thoroughly enjoyed them all!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The amount of criticisms that say that the game is boring, predictable, and does nothing new, when we can look at the level designs and say otherwise, point to journalists that flat out don't have an understanding of what makes a platformer good on a mechanical level.

They care not for mechanics. They want flashy bullshit and instant gratification.

I'm the Gaming-Universe reviewer, so I've rated the game very highly, but the criticism that it doesn't much new is justified. There are some neat new ideas, but it really is a level pack to DKCR, much in the same way as Yoshi's Island DS is to Yoshi's Island. What makes DKCTF so absolutely fantastic is the level design, which really is terrific. Lots of great ideas, both mechanically and presentation wise (I loved the dancing trees level) and an impressive combination of "collectathon"-design and "performance" / "time-attack"-design. It's always amazing when you play the time attack on silver up to shiny gold levels and the whole level offers a perfect flow.

What I can take from these reviews is that the games level design is either inventive, diverse and inspired or it the review is more middling then it changes to something more in the line of dull, rote and uninspired, obviously opinions and all but it's quite funny how contradictory the views on the level design ranges from. Though I figure it's more of what you want from a platformer that informs this decision (or if you even wanted one at all judging by some of the closing statements).

Genuinely shocked to hear most reviews praising the boss battles, I want to believe but I just can't, I'm still expecting grief and a painful learning process.

Anyway I was waiting on Carter's review (Destructoid) since he had the same love for Returns that I did so seeing him say Tropical Freeze is stronger than Returns is all I need to hear. More of the same but better was just what I wanted from a Returns sequel, along with the Wise one of course.

EhoaVash

I'm perfectly fine with the Gamepad being used primarily for Off-TV play (which I use all the time), but... am I reading correctly that the Gamepad does not mirror the TV when using both? If so, I hope there's an option to reverse that.

Typically when I play the Wii U with our daughter, she curls up on the couch so that she's only looking at the Gamepad, while I'm looking at the TV (and yes, it's a fine TV set, but 7 year olds these days seem to immediately prefer private screens, hence part of the lure of the Wii U to her). It'll be immensely annoying if she has to always stare at the TV during our multiplayer when she has a perfectly capable screen in her hands.

don't think there is an option ..I prefer the gamepad to be black, back when playing 3D world I hated that the game mirrored the same stuff as the tv, it's a big distraction to me cause It's easier to see up close on the gamepad which drawback was that I would miss Nintendo HD on the tv :(

Yoshi

You read it correctly and there is no such option. It's even impossible to play with the GamePad mirroring the main screen when playing in two player mode. If you play in two player mode, choosing Off-TV-Play disables the controls on the GamePad and both players need an alternative input method.

Yoshi

What I can take from these reviews is that the games level design is either inventive, diverse and inspired or it the review is more middling then it changes to something more in the line of dull, rote and uninspired, obviously opinions and all but it's quite funny how contradictory the views on the level design ranges from. Though I figure it's more of what you want from a platformer that informs this decision (or if you even wanted one at all judging by some of the closing statements).
The level design is the strong point of the game - besided the music. It's really a work of love.

enuinely shocked to hear most reviews praising the boss battles, I want to believe but I just can't, I'm still expecting grief and a painful learning process.
Did you like the Returns boss fights? You will like the TF boss fights as much as them, because they are structred the same and offer about the same amount of challenge.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 7.0/10

Meanwhile...

FIFA 14 - 8.0/10
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - 9.0/10
FIFA 13 - 9.0/10
Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 - 9.0/10
FIFA 12 - 8.0/10
Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 - 8.0/10

Holy shit. This is why I hate games journalism. At least be consistent in your criticisms.

Thanks for reminding me never to visit Eurogamer again, if only to avoid that idiot's reviews.

Gsnap

I'm the Gaming-Universe reviewer, so I've rated the game very highly, but the criticism that it doesn't much new is justified. There are some neat new ideas, but it really is a level pack to DKCR, much in the same way as Yoshi's Island DS is to Yoshi's Island. What makes DKCTF so absolutely fantastic is the level design, which really is terrific. Lots of great ideas, both mechanically and presentation wise (I loved the dancing trees level) and an impressive combination of "collectathon"-design and "performance" / "time-attack"-design. It's always amazing when you play the time attack on silver up to shiny gold levels and the whole level offers a perfect flow.

Ok, since when do we refer to sequels as level packs, people???

The same junk happened in the 3D World threads and now it's happening again?

I think that Nintendo might give the next DKC to Monster Games, it's just a feeling.

I think it there is a very large chance we will see a 3DS entry from them. I mean let's be real... Retro did not need their help to create Tropical Freeze... They proved beyond any doubt that they can make a great 2D platformer with Returns. It seems much more logical to me that with porting over DKCR to the 3DS and even adding their own new levels, working on Tropical Freeze for a bit with Retro was a great way for them to get even more of a sense for modern DKC. I will actually be surprised if they end up doing something else.

TnK

Game looks amazing, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Also, will wait to see if some of the reviewers giving it a low score is true or not.

The Boat

Did you like the Returns boss fights? You will like the TF boss fights as much as them, because they are structred the same and offer about the same amount of challenge.
I haven't had the time to finish the game yet, but so far, boss fights are harder and much better than DKCR's. DKC never had good boss fights, I'd say this is the first time it does, they're not phenomenal, but they're fun and challenging.

The level design is the strong point of the game - besided the music. It's really a work of love.
That's what I like to hear.
It'll be interesting stacking this up to the other direct platforming sequels on Wii U such as NSMBU and Rayman Legends, TF seems to be getting a dinged more for being a safe sequel more than either of those two games yet I just can't see it having less to show than either of them (especially NSMBU as much as I enjoyed it).
Well just a few days left to find out myself.

Unfortunately not at all, outside of perhaps Mangoruby at least.
Though it's already an improvement if there's nothing as lame as that pirate crab trio in Returns.

Timeaisis

This game looks great! The reviews seem to highlight what I was hoping for in a DK platformer. Everyone needs to chill, though. Platformers are always underscored because they are "just platformers". Meanwhile, people can play the same basic TPS over and over again and love it to death. To each their own, but I take all this with a grain of salt. Viva la Donkey Kong!

Top Bottom