• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

Mill sucks. All this build-up for some of that proto-slaughterfest goodness? The defining moment of this map has to be shooting a random goat-face texture out of desperation because nothing else would raise the platform up to the final switch I needed to activate for the yellow key—argh! And it has the nerve to be both needlessly boring and occasionally frustrating, a map concept Dario Casali failed to do justice. Most of the enemy encounters lack tension because I can strafe around projectiles (and the chaingunners only show up en masse near the end!). The first map of Plutonia's much better than this, as it at least doesn't overstay its welcome.

Meanwhile, Mustaine's maps are a shining barometer of consistency, even though they're much more compact and less ambitious.

I'm excited to play Sailor's Chord series and stuff from Kurt Kesler. Playing Doom 1 WADs should be easy, but I forget the console command needed to load something like, say, Crossing Acheron.

Raptomex

There was a map or megawad someone was working on a while ago on Doomworld. The map was enormous. I'm trying to find it with no luck. I know its' s vague but if somebody does know what it's called I think it will ring the bell.

There was a map or megawad someone was working on a while ago on Doomworld. The map was enormous. I'm trying to find it with no luck. I know its' s vague but if somebody does know what it's called I think it will ring the bell.
Wouldn't know, but this reminds of how long Mechadon's taking to finish his latest megawad and Supplice, his upcoming partial TC. Nothing will top Mordeth II, though...

Raptomex

It was extremely detailed. I think the creator was planning on turning it into a megawad. I was looking forward to it. I should have saved it.

Yes Vanguard is pretty damn great. I played through a little bit of it yesterday with ScoreDoom.

And now, previously unreleased hi-res shots of Doom 64 models:

Mancubus

mB8p9KA.jpg

Doomguy

Cyberdemon

In other news, someone at the /vr/ general's posting deets on an upc
u
ming demon-sex partial TC. Huh.

Raptomex

Kama Sutra is a pretty good megawad. I enjoyed what I played.

I recently discovered this X-Weapon mod. He took sprites from WildWeasle's Brutal Doom add-on "Accessories to Murder" however this is not a BD add-on or related to it. It is, however, a very good weapon mod and with the addition of some new monsters and tweaks, quite difficult. There's a version that removes the new monsters so it's just the default enemies. I'm a sucker for weapon mods and I would recommend this to anyone who loves them as well. The weapons are upgradeable and some are really over the top.

Refyref

Speaking of over the top, it seems Russian Overkill has been ported to Zandronum 2, seems to be worth a look.

I do wonder how many more mods are going to get Zandronum versions once Zandronum 2 is fully out.

So Mill was just the first in a series of "realistic" maps in Evilution. Shipping/Respawning and Central Processing both try for scale, with mixed results for the former. The opening bits (probably done by Halderman if Wormhole's his precedent) are pretty boring, with some amateurish office spaces and tunnel-like progression through hallways. But the second half in the shipping area (probably Seiben's portion) is much improved, with some interesting encounters, a conveyor-belt teleport trickle of demons to shotgun, Archviles and maze games, even a duel against a lone Pain Elemental spewing Lost Souls from across a walled-off field! And there's a truck with a keycard in it, lookie there...

Central Processing has the more boring name, but is much more cinematic and pulls off a sense of adventure and challenge lacking in the previous map. It gets wider and grander in scope over time, ultimately ending with a long slog through a river valley with multiple floors of action (though they aren't utilized all at once). None of this I really expected, since the map starts off with superior-looking office spaces that actually add opportunities for CQC, all before entering a more demonic dimension with the unmarked secret teleport and voyage down into the nukage caverns. Some of the best visuals in an Evilution map so far, plus an annoyingly-long ending segment preceded by some really cool slaughtering. I know that Drake O'Brien did Mount Pain later in the pack, which I await with anticipation.

Raptomex

Russian overkill is crazy but fun. Such insane weaponry.

Do the Cacodemons in PSX Doom have a slightly different sprite or is that just me?

Mr. Nobody you are very good at Twitch.

Working on another texture now (was super tired a couple of days ago and was playing games yesterday).

Safest bet for Doom IV could be a VR remake for PC/Mac/Linux, with remade assets working on the Rage engine and very comprehensive online features (also: as much support for mods and PWADs as possible). And if that does well, console version with Project Morpheus attached.

SparkTR

Safest bet for Doom IV could be a VR remake for PC/Mac/Linux, with remade assets working on the Rage engine and very comprehensive online features (also: as much support for mods and PWADs as possible). And if that does well, console version with Project Morpheus attached.

If it's VR it wouldn't be anything like how I'd want it (fast-paced, old-school). Basic stuff like getting shot from behind by a shotgun/rocket would be a major issue as unanticipated movements are a major cause of motion sickness in VR. Oculus did some talks about this stuff, but it's apparent that a lot of traditional games won't work well in VR, the medium demands a different game design mindset with different experiences.

O'Brien's next map, Administration Center, is good despite some needlessly frustrating moments. One part of it teleports the player into one of the hallway sconces used to hold chaingunners. Opening the secret door to the left of me, I see one pesky sergeant off in the distance that's just under what autoaim sees, which makes going into that big room difficult to do without getting hurt. I also have a Pain Elemental and Revenant to deal with, so...

The open areas in this map are, once again, the highlight, giving me some room to practice Revenant missile avoidance. Question: how can I reliably start infighting between two demons at any time? Shooting them myself always distracts them, so I'm thinking the goal is to catch another mook's attention without firing anything, then getting another demon in-between the line of fire.

G-Fex

I was trying to play no rest for the living on Doom collection from PSN and I can't stand the controls. It's just too damn difficult to play with.

TUROK

I was trying to play no rest for the living on Doom collection from PSN and I can't stand the controls. It's just too damn difficult to play with.
What's the control configuration?

I recently finished it on my 360 and it felt really nice. I quite liked the way it handled.

G-Fex

What's the control configuration?

I recently finished it on my 360 and it felt really nice. I quite liked the way it handled.

yeah the controls don't quite work , sure sticks move and shit but it's awkward, the weapon selections are a fucking MESS.

I picked up the chainsaw later, so the rotation went handgun, shotgun, chaingun, rocket launcher, chainsaw, rocket launcher.

I died a lot.

I think I'll fire up my 360 and Doom :D

AtmanRising

Neo Member
FYI, Romero is playing deathmatch against GDC attendees. So far nobody beat him.

"Starting on Monday, March 17th, GDC is proud to host "Deathmatch with John Romero," a designated area where attendees will be able to drop in at any time to play FPS classic Doom with up to seven other attendees, with select appearances by Doom co-creator John Romero himself and other special guests"

FYI, Romero is playing deathmatch against GDC attendees. So far nobody beat him.

Amazing to think I use arrow keys + left-hand strafing look Romero probably does (unless he has his signature mouse in left hand). Playing Doom DM with mouselook must give players a good advantage over him, or maybe he's just that good relative to the rest of the present players.

The Doom 64 renders are nice, but what I personally wish I could own are some of the original latex models.

TUROK

yeah the controls don't quite work , sure sticks move and shit but it's awkward, the weapon selections are a fucking MESS.

I picked up the chainsaw later, so the rotation went handgun, shotgun, chaingun, rocket launcher, chainsaw, rocket launcher.

I died a lot.

I think I'll fire up my 360 and Doom :D
The weapon rotation had some issues in Doom 1 on the 360, but you could use the d-pad for quick switching. Wouldn't the PS3 have the same thing?

Was about to draw a new "betweener" for the wall but after figuring out I can make the thing look more round by sloping the edges and aligning the rounded edges of the texture to make a nice more round shape I'm not so sure now (though it does make me want to modify the wall texture itself to have gaps in the blue beam of light.)

G-Fex

The weapon rotation had some issues in Doom 1 on the 360, but you could use the d-pad for quick switching. Wouldn't the PS3 have the same thing?

yeah. Still I didn't like movement on PS3. 360 controller sticks feel much better

Habitat, as some have said, is poopy. I mean, the sewer-search concept could have been interesting, but what's left are bunch of long, uninteresting tunnels with noticeable texture misalignments and, if there are any, secrets that would require lots of backtracking and playing with map triggers to uncover. Meanwhile, the rest of the map's got some more open spaces used to decent effect, though they contrast badly with the other half of the layout. Props for using the one Tom Mustaine track I really like!

Power Control's a good map. It's pretty easy outside of the room with the secret teleport and if you aren't good against Revenants (helps that the map's centralized around easy-to-use teleports).

Refyref

Another picture of John Romero playing deathmatch at GDC.

As you can see, he's using a mouse. (Although it's known that the id folks played Doom with a mouse since forever, but some people got confused due to not seeing it in the other picture.)

Interesting that he's left handed. I wonder how much of a pain it must have been to use a mouse back in the DOS/Win 3.1/Win95 days for programs w/ poor mouse customizability.

Loving his jacket too.

See, it's really all about his hair. The man's stuck in some limbo between Italian patriarch and heavy-metal super-geek, and I love it! (The silvery locks make him an analogue to George Clooney).

Lunar Mining Project and Quarry are okay, but feel out of place this far into Evilution. The former map's reasonably challenging, the latter piss easy; I've got a suspicion that there's a reason for all the easy ammo pickups and lack of tension in Quarry, since I'm about to tackle Baron's Den. Even so, I'm not easy to catch off-guard, and so Quarry seems to suffer in continuous play, especially since having so many shotgun pickups points to it being built for pistol starts. And it's official: Archviles are either going to kill you the instant they appear in an open space without cover, or they're easier to fight than Revenants using cover. Fascinating....I never knew such things could be...

"Starting on Monday, March 17th, GDC is proud to host "Deathmatch with John Romero," a designated area where attendees will be able to drop in at any time to play FPS classic Doom with up to seven other attendees, with select appearances by Doom co-creator John Romero himself and other special guests"
I'm sure there's an appropriate Daikatana reference for this situation.

G-Fex

Brutal Doom is an absolute pansy compared to Russian Overkill

"I could aim..but with this thing..I don't have to"

Baron's Den beats out Ballistyx for the two pre-Mount Pain maps, IMO. There's this great area where, after doing a quick puzzle to get into it, I'm immediately bombarded by two Revenants, a Pain Elemental, and some nasty hitscanners perched way above me. This may not seem like much, but having to dodge homing missiles gives the Elemental enough time to spawn a score of Lost Souls, and so I'm running for what little cover I have while trying to deal with long-range melee and an influx of Cacodemons now appearing. Events like this normally tick me off, but there's no instant death involved like most traps of this type—the mapper trusted that this combination would put me within a hair's length of death without utterly destroying me. And that sets a good precedent for the rest of the map, which is either as challenging or less, but never compromised by needless frustration.

So that's a great map, with good variance between open areas, tunnels, and lava traversal. Ballistyx is more of the tunneling and nukage and lava, nothing else applies. And so it feels more linear without really being cinematic, which sort of sucks. More monster closets show up than in the last map, and there's a cool teleport that puts me in a pit surrounded by Hell Knights, Revenants and Imps all within range to kill or be killed; one great piece of imagery is a black expanse filled with burning flames, which players face when having to dispose of some Lost Souls or some other type. Solid stuff overall.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Russian Overkill is hilarious. I played on the highest skill and I had 100,000HP before giving up.

The overpowered weapons were hilarious though.

I think it might be way too unbalanced. Even on the "ultra violence" mode it's still too easy.

I'll stick with Brutal Doom.

Top Bottom