• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta: INHOUSE LEAGUE Season 1!! FREE HATS

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
We want to automate this but are lacking in ways we can do it because of the absence of a WebAPI and an experienced web coder.

Surprised there isn't a single person on here that couldn't make a very basic site in a day or so. The spreadsheet is a pretty poor way of doing things and I think games might be missing, is anyone keeping a list of the game IDs that have been added?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Surprised there isn't a single person on here that couldn't make a very basic site in a day or so. The spreadsheet is a pretty poor way of doing things and I think games might be missing, is anyone keeping a list of the game IDs that have been added?
There is, but delirium is busy protecting our shores from turrurists.

Lirlond

I hate web coding.

Artanisix

Surprised there isn't a single person on here that couldn't make a very basic site in a day or so.

Well it won't be useful until Valve enables pulling from practice matches anyhow

Once it does come out, I imagine we'll just transfer over what data we have now, and then have the website just add onto that automatically for us.

Man I want Meepo in my IHL games. Although I have plans already for Visage, Keeper of the Light, and Nyx.

Ikuu

Well it won't be useful until Valve enables pulling from practice matches anyhow.

Don't really understand this, I mean you're already entering the data into a spreadsheet and you need to work within the limits of Excel and how it's designed. Also we're assuming that the WebAPI would function in a way that would suit our needs. If we went with a site then we would have something built for exactly what we need, and if you add the Game IDs when entering games it could pull everything when an API is released.

Guesong

I know when I'm captain I try to pick as follows:

1 person with a higher wins on their card 300+
2 people who are between 150 and 300 wins
2 people who are below 150 wins

I know this isnt exactly indicative of experience, but in the off chance that it directly reflects players experience I think this makes for a balanced team. Providing the other team captain has similar talent to pool from.

Yeah, do not do that. As you yourself said, it's not indicative or anything, other than time spent playing Matchmaking in DotA2.

Pretty sure Thorinbei and Lokidemi arent even at 150 wins yet, but you'd be a fool not to pick them up.

Hell, I only have 43 wins myself on DotA2 at the moment and with my time to play now long past (I work now!), that number isn't gonna go up, since all my playtime, if I have any, will probably be inhouses. But because of the HONGAF DotA Account, because of my past experiences in non-counted IHs, because of all of HoN, because of all the streams watched; am I 43 wins-newb-tier?
please say yes so that I swindle the newbie league (dont)

Best way is just to play it out until you know who's good and who's not, which you may learn in a very brutal way for yourself. >_>

Maximum swindles.

G-Unit

Just so you know, I'm a web developer so if you ever need a hand coding, just let me know

Or you could let me know what are we looking for and I should make my own prototype

Edit

What about a quick webpage where we just put the id of the match, you can pretty much get all the data out of the game, we parse, process rating and we set accumulated values. But we are lacking players profile info.

Haly

Just so you know, I'm a web developer so if you ever need a hand coding, just let me know

Or you could let me know what are we looking for and I should make my own prototype
I'd like to discuss this with you along with pro and milk if you have some free time tonight. I came up with a prototype a while back and we can work off of that.
What about a quick webpage where we just put the id of the match, you can pretty much get all the data out of the game, we parse, process rating and we set accumulated values. But we are lacking players profile info.
That was the idea. Unfortunately, the WebAPI for DOTA2 does not give us access to private games. Until that's enabled the hypothetical WebApp will be standalone.

Ikuu

All you need is an add player page, add game, and a leaderboard. I started working on something, but I've never used PHP/SQL before so it probably wouldn't be the best.

Elcheris

Neo Member
I enjoyed my first game yesterday, although it feels totally different than just playing with my usual group of friends or pub matchmaking. Hopefully we get to see more captains popping up! Id love to try it myself but it feels like there is so much pressure =(

Haly

All you need is an add player page, add game, and a leaderboard. I started working on something, but I've never used PHP/SQL before so it probably wouldn't be the best.
Would also need a way to "generate teams" based on a selected pool of players, and a way to share this in order to prevent swindles.

G-Unit

I'd like to discuss this with you along with pro and milk if you have some free time tonight. I came up with a prototype a while back and we can work off of that.

Unfortunately, the WebAPI for DOTA2 does not give us access to private games. Until that's enabled the hypothetical WebApp will be standalone.

I did not know that, still we can sort of make something out of the current webapi then we switch to the private data when the webapi allows it, just as someone said before.

Sure thing, I'll be available at around 7 CT.

Ikuu

Would also need a way to "generate teams" based on a selected pool of players, and a way to share this in order to prevent swindles.

Wouldn't need to be in the first version and could be added later. You wouldn't need it right now either as the ELO isn't spread out enough to generate good teams (unless you assign people to hidden tiers).

Haly

Here's what i had before:
Database

Matches
- Match ID (PK)
- Player ID (FK)
- Winning team

Players
- Player ID (PK)
- GAF Name
- Link to Steam Profile
- Win
- Loss
- Bio
- ELO

WebApp
- Choose 10 players from a table of all players
- Create a team out of those players based on ELO
- Shaare player configuration with a link
- Vew player stats in a list
- Lock players into teams for captains/callouts/manual balancing

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
We considered implementing a team organizer in a separate sheet, but we decided against it because it would have inevitably been destroyed. Public access does that.

This was all done in a spreadsheet just for convenience, as the framework of the sheet lends itself to a list of players.

While I agree with you that we should start logging match IDs, there's no guarantee that valve's API will be backwards compatible, and holding our breath for a feature valve hasn't confirmed yet doesn't strike me as a good idea.

We can always convert the hongaf IHL app to suit our needs here, but aside from looking a little better there's not much to be gained at this point. ELO matching this early on is entirely worthless, as it has almost no bearing on the individual skill of the player. Where you're getting the idea that matches aren't being logged I'm not sure. If it's been posted, it's been logged.

I won't be around tonight until late, but if you guys want to go on a web app by all means. I'm no web dev, so it isn't my cup of tea.

G-Unit

Here's what i had before:

Does the ELO already defines rating in base of role in a match and things like that? If so, I like what you have right now, especially manual balance just in case it is needed.

as far as language, we could use php, pyton(django), ruby(rails). I just started learning ruby, but i have plenty of experience in webdevelop so it should be easy to get it running with a guide here and there.

Haly

Does the ELO already defines rating in base of role in a match and things like that? If so, I like what you have right now, especially manual balance just in case it is needed.
No, roles are not taken into account as it's too difficult to quantify. It is based solely on W/L and the opponents' ratings.
as far as language, we could use php, pyton(django), ruby(rails). I just started learning ruby, but i have plenty of experience in webdevelop so it should be easy to get it running with a guide here and there.
For this app i feel like PHP + MySQL or Google Appengine + Python (django if that's what you're comfortable with) is the way to go.
We considered implementing a team organizer in a separate sheet, but we decided against it because it would have inevitably been destroyed. Public access does that.
This is another thing, we would need an admin system. The only thing that should be publicly available are the stats and player matching (if/when we implement this). Adding games will still be the responsibility of the admins.

Ikuu

Not a huge deal, have it search as you type or a drop down with all the heroes. Would add a little time to adding the game, but it's a pretty interesting stat, and someone is doing it already on the spreadsheet.

Neckbeard

That game last night was fun. (Where we conceded after 20 mins, when the score was something like 7-43.) I thought my play was decent, but the other team was SO stacked.

I don't see a scoreboard up for it yet, do we not post concedes? My loss is recorded on the sheet though.

Went and pubstomped 3-0 afterwards before bed. Maybe this is the secret. Lose to the IHL then kill in MM. After being 5 games under .500 I am back over 50% though!

http://stats.dota2.be/player/18114418

It was posted above somewhere.

Haly

If we only use their most common acronym, perhaps there would be a way to do this

Example, to enter a team:

Code:
      Winner                           Loser
<player name> | <hero>      <player name> | <hero>

Submit                Reset

There would need to be a third database that looks something like this:
Heroes picks by player
- Player ID (PK/FK)
- AA wins
- AA losses
- AM wins
- AM losses
- Chen wins
- Chen losses
- ES win
- es losses
And if we want to track picks and bans we're looking at a 4th database I can't be arsed to prototype.

Neckbeard

This was all done in a spreadsheet just for convenience, as the framework of the sheet lends itself to a list of players.

While I agree with you that we should start logging match IDs, there's no guarantee that valve's API will be backwards compatible, and holding our breath for a feature valve hasn't confirmed yet doesn't strike me as a good idea.

We can always convert the hongaf IHL app to suit our needs here, but aside from looking a little better there's not much to be gained at this point. ELO matching this early on is entirely worthless, as it has almost no bearing on the individual skill of the player. Where you're getting the idea that matches aren't being logged I'm not sure. If it's been posted, it's been logged.

I won't be around tonight until late, but if you guys want to go on a web app by all means. I'm no web dev, so it isn't my cup of tea.

I'm working on a python app. By working on it, I mean I'm starting it. By starting it, I mean I'm lazy as hell.

I did, however, buy a domain name/hosting. So if someone wants to help with coding the webapp that would be bomb diggity.

Neckbeard

If we only use their most common acronym, perhaps there would be a way to do this

Example, to enter a team:

Code:
      Winner                           Loser
                 Submit                         Reset

There would be a quick way to do this using the HeroID and the API -- Google Docs has a decent XML parser formula.

and/or

list/combo boxes in the spreadsheet.

Haly

Considering the amount of heroes I think I'd almost prefer typing in their names manually than scrolling through a list of 100.

G-Unit

Aight so lets discuss where should we start and I'll make something on my computer done in python.

I'll be putting the source code on github if you don't mind

KScorp

Most scroll boxes let you quickly scroll to the correct hero by typing in the name anyway. EG typing in "TI" will select Tidehunter, "TIN" will then select Tinker. Assuming alphabetical order.

Neckbeard

Considering the amount of heroes I think I'd almost prefer typing in their names manually than scrolling through a list of 100.

Wouldn't be so bad if you used six alphabetized list boxes: 2 (Radiant/Dire) each: Agility, Intelligence, Strength. Then you'd have a button to populate a separate list box. Something similar to this example:

IC113814.jpg

But the API formula is the way to go until we get a webapp, I think. I'll see if I can get a working formula for the interim, but that would require the matchIDs to be recorded.

Milabrega

I'm 4-3 on the sheet but only played in 6 IHL games. I think the Rac Vs Guesong game got posted twice since a SS of it was posted in two different posts.

Here and Here.

BTW, Stranger T is playing a Chen in the IHL game going on right now, so I feel vindicated about banning him vs his team in my match the other day when I got called out for wasting a ban doing it! Unless his Chen is bad, in which case you would still be right.

bzm

BTW, Stranger T is playing a Chen in the IHL game going on right now, so I feel vindicated about banning him vs his team in my match the other day when I got called out for wasting a ban doing it! Unless his Chen is bad, in which case you would still be right.

yes but is he INSURED SIGNATURE EU CHEN?

Sanjay

Edit

Yeah we did that for season 2 for the HoN gaf inhouse league but can't do that until Valve sort out their end.

http://hongaf.appspot.com/index.jsp

Maybe we can convert it into just inputting data and it updates. It's cool because you can sort any tabs and it does it on the fly.

Top Bottom