• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta: INHOUSE LEAGUE Season 1!! FREE HATS

F!ReW!Re

Edit: I see that there no mumble instructions on the OP. Given the Chat bug incident we should encourage as many people as possible to join the mumble channel. They don't even need a mic as long as they can listen.

So ehm noob question, mumble NeoGAF server details, where can I find them?

BeesEight

How they allowed 1.09 to play with pillow I have no idea.

Edit: you know what, I'm gonna just shut up about imbalanced teams. I don't care who's on who. I just want the gratification of winning.

We could force 1.09 to always play with me on his team. I'll be Dazzle. That should balance things out pretty well. :p

Artanisix

So all we all letting go of the spreadsheet or not?

Edit: I see that there no mumble instructions on the OP. Given the Chat bug incident we should encourage as many people as possible to join the mumble channel. They don't even need a mic as long as they can listen.

Good idea. Updated the OP.

Haven't gotten chance to talk to pro yet about what's up.

Neckbeard

Good idea. Updated the OP.

Haven't gotten chance to talk to pro yet about what's up.

I'm not sure if I can finish the new spreadsheet this weekend. I've got friends in from out of town and won't be able to work until Sunday night. I shared with you, Pro, and Haly if you want to work on it.

All the XML formulas are there. If you go to the data entry/XML sheet, all you have to do is write a script to post to the new data page in rows. Each player should have a row for each match.

I'm going to use a pivottable widget to post on the domain I bought so we can avoid public use of the spreadsheet altogether.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yo guys this amateur hosting needs to stop nowwwww. If you host a game, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TURN SPECS ON.

Tenck

To be fair, (and I don't think I've been the only person to point this out) there is a large focus on the negative and not so much the positive (based on what I watched last night).

Going to bring this into discussion, but yesterday we were linked to an archive of a stream with Astro, Bzm, and maybe one or two more people.

Such a garbage stream in the beginning since it was all centered around negativity.

Paraphrasing something I heard, and it went a little like this;

Can't look at the positive. Have to look at all the negative.

And they did just that. From insulting Anbokr (I believe), to insulting DrKirby, n0b, and Yuber. I know Rael Tawk is sometimes just to joke around, but what was said there was not a joke. It crossed the Rael Tawk line and was trash talking.

Probably going to hold off on streams from now on. Just unpleasant shit to hear makes for a terrible experience.

And they did just that. From insulting Anbokr (I believe), to insulting DrKirby, n0b, and Yuber. I know Rael Tawk is sometimes just to joke around, but what was said there was not a joke. It crossed the Rael Tawk line and was trash talking.

Probably going to hold off on streams from now on. Just unpleasant shit to hear makes for a terrible experience.

This is the kind of commentating that is happening at the streams?

Tenck

I've seen like three streams with just Astro and Bzm. They're pretty cool and call out ridiculous stuff, but when they were joined by other people in the stream (the one I saw yesterday) it was pretty stupid.

Tomat seems to have had some unpleasant experiences too, so I guess it's starting to become a problem.

That's all I've heard, yes. And yes, the shit is unpleasant at best to listen to.

Commentators may benefit from finding positive ways to say negative shit (or, to find a way to not harp on negativity). Something like how Day[9] handles StarCraft II casting of Gold-level play. No the shit isn't spotless play, but things can be said in a way that can be to everyone's betterment going forward. Then again, I think we all know these MOBAs seem to have their own culture so it may be asking too much. If that's the case, I'll just tune out. No biggie.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
bzm and astro will never take the day9 approach to casting unless they are forced to (and no one has authority over the casting except the actual casters).

Not to sound too apathetic but it is really your own choice to watch their casts.

Sanjay

They did just that. From insulting Anbokr (I believe), to insulting DrKirby, n0b, and Yuber. I know Rael Tawk is sometimes just to joke around, but what was said there was not a joke. It crossed the Rael Tawk line and was trash talking.

What no Super Sanjay hate? I need to play more games I see:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdf-kIvOag4

Also Pro is bestest caster.

What no Super Sanjay hate? I need to play more games I see:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdf-kIvOag4

Also Pro is bestest caster.

You feed on hate now?

Anyways, it is really disheartening to hear how the casters commentate. If the casters are going through the trouble of putting the streams out, why would they want to turn off any potential viewers?

Well.... I will have to watch the streams to see if it is as bad a some make it out to be.

That's all I've heard, yes. And yes, the shit is unpleasant at best to listen to.

Commentators may benefit from finding positive ways to say negative shit (or, to find a way to not harp on negativity). Something like how Day[9] handles StarCraft II casting of Gold-level play. No the shit isn't spotless play, but things can be said in a way that can be to everyone's betterment going forward. Then again, I think we all know these MOBAs seem to have their own culture so it may be asking too much. If that's the case, I'll just tune out. No biggie.
Wait is this because of the 8 wards comment?

We're honestly waiting with bated breath to see that shit.

Well, why wouldn't you insult puber, seems perfectly reasonable.

Tenck

bzm and astro will never take the day9 approach to casting unless they are forced to (and no one has authority over the casting except the actual casters).

Not to sound too apathetic but it is really your own choice to watch their casts.

Which is exactly what some of us are going to do. And it's not really a choice if it's an unexpected first time right?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Anyways, it is really disheartening to hear how the casters commentate. If the casters are going through the trouble of putting the streams out, why would they want to turn off any potential viewers?
I think bzm does it mostly for fun (and to him fun = reel tawk). Not sure about astro.

Tenck

I think bzm does it mostly for fun (and to him fun = reel tawk). Not sure about astro.

Both of them have been great casters from what I've seen. It was just the addition of one (or more, couldn't tell since I didn't really give a damn enough to listen to it for more than 10 minutes) is what fucked it up for me.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Bzm and astro do cross the line sometime, but you also need to keep in mind pointing out misplays (placing 8 wards or 0 wards on the map) is different than personal attacks. Don't know how many people were watching (probably just a few), but I streamed one of the best games of the ihl yesterday with bzm and procarbine mainly casting; there was a lot of praise going out (as well as the often sharp critique of wtf???? plays). I can't speak for astroboy's stream, but there's a line between critique and pure caustic venom though, and I hope for the few that actually tune into my secondary stream occasionally (the whole espn panel with me, rac, alumnus, and chair in mumble a couple nights ago was a kind of parody of this trash talk casting mentality), they see the former and not the latter. I've been really impressed and surprised that over half of the new guys playing consistently are A LOT better than me, and a lot better than most of us expected (rac, doombass, sabervulcan, dr.grakl, etc... just to name a few).

A lot of people don't know puppetyuber and should know that he is a pretty isolated case. Yuber got banned for calling rac a faggot and basically spends half his time on mumble insulting and belittling everyone, so that's why whenever someone casts or roots for a team--it's always going to be against puber, he's become a kind of small joke at this point.

kagete

Don't take the trashtalking by the casters too seriously. Some of us have been playing together for at least a couple of years and people take certain liberties with teasing each other. Granted, that's gotten more than a few banned over the years but it's all generally in good fun.

-Like most people have already said, making fun of PuppetYuber is a given. He's one of the most hardcore players and is generally incompatible playing with most normal people. I have heard the phrase "Sorry but I'm never playing with Yuber again" from more than 10 different people when ever I try to form groups for MM. I think he's a cool guy though, but YMMV.

-Anbokr should NEVER be taken seriously. This guy will sometimes give you the impression that he would genuinely want to be a black guy even though he is white as chalk.

-bzm generally makes fun of people he's played with before and can be such a b*tch sometimes

-I haven't heard Kapura cast an IHL yet but he's quite funny at times even though his thoughts mostly wander from the game he's casting.

-astroboy is a salty korean (not best korean unfortunately) because all the games are on USE and he gets bad pings. He is very frank in commenting on when someone made a mistake but also easily admits his own faults while casting.

-Tomat doesn't even play videogames unless its Fatlus!

dorkimoe

I would like to point out that most of the shit talk between hongaf is jokes. We mock Sanjay all the time but <3 Sanjay. I call him bad all the time but I queue with him more than most. Same with anbokr, chair, ,neki,pro etc. doesn't mean they aren't garbage though :) Most of us are buddies and we just joke. But when casting we shouldn't be calling people out at all. It's a game, I play IHl to play with my friends and have fun.

Also what is Astros gaf name. I need to pm him. My stream works and I can stream and cast with help but I need to figure out an in game frame issue.

I see kag beat me to it.

Edit: oh god where is kapura? I miss his casting. Absolutely hilarious. Pro is my second favorite. Pro casting a Sanjay game is instant lol

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You feed on hate now?

Well.... I will have to watch the streams to see if it is as bad a some make it out to be.

Most of the potential viewers know exactly them and how they act, just the usual Mumble shit talk.

3FEA07469256491D2A13BCA64D3478B416E114F3
Game

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
It's like you guys don't even try anymore. :D

Huh? This was a really even game. Holden raped me mid and we were losing pretty early, the other 30 minutes went back and forth until finally we were too farmed. A lot of people look at scoreboards only knowing milk, hongaf, and a few other frequent posters; but the IHL's have really brought out some good unknown players.

Guesong

Huh? This was a really even game. Holden raped me mid and we were losing pretty early, the other 30 minutes went back and forth until finally we were too farmed. A lot of people look at scoreboards only knowing milk, hongaf, and a few other frequent posters; but the IHL's have really brought out some good unknown players.

Guilty as charged. Apologies.

dommynick

I'll address the comments about the tone of the stream once, and once only.

There are players in some of these in-houses that I have been playing games with for a while now, and these are the players that I tease on my stream. People like anbokr, neki, freakinchair, sanjay, etc. You can usually tell by the giggles and the sassy comments who the joking is about. It's nothing personal or serious, just the regular trashtalk that I had been doling out when I was playing next to them.

On to the non-joking, analytical portion of my casting. I try my best to big up any and all positive play that I see, and I feel like I have. Let's be honest, when games are being lost, you point out why they're being lost. When players make mistakes, I point it out, and follow it up with constructive criticism about what they could've done better. There are going to be a lot of mistakes, it's the nature of the game, especially given the level of play. It's not a matter of real talk or anything like that. I have my style and personality, and I'm never going to Bob Costas or TobiWan, and I don't want to be.

Neckbeard

"Holden bottom tier"

-astroboy

edit- speaking of that cast: Forget you, NekiTMZ

Top Bottom