• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkls

TotalBiscuit's critique of article:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ngiujr

The CM cosmetic glitch as sexism seems silly. This might be an example of trying too hard.

Eh, even after stating that hes wrong about female heroes primarily being supports I kinda take offense to the implication that support might be a lesser role.

But yeah, more disappointed by the lack of research of someone who apparently spent 1000 hours in dota 2.

sixghost

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2014/9/29/6862757/dota-2-the-1000-hour-review

Dota 2 the 1000 hour re

Was really finding it interesting until these parts:

Doesn't the author know heroes like Drow ranger, Medusa, Spectre, Phantom Assassin, Templar assassin, Luna, qop, DP, Mirana, Enchantress, and Lina are or can be played as carries/semi-carries? I don't disagree on the point he made some of their outfits.

I though this was a bug?

Otherwise pretty read.

Three of the hardest carries in the game are female, what a bizarre point to make.

manfestival

Dota 2 the 1000 hour re

Doesn't the author know heroes like Drow ranger, Medusa, Spectre, Phantom Assassin, Templar assassin, Luna, qop, DP, Mirana, Enchantress, and Lina are or can be played as carries/semi-carries? I don't disagree on the point he made some of their outfits.

I though this was a bug?

Otherwise pretty read.

That seemed like a recipe for unbalanced gameplay, but as it turns out, it’s precisely Dota’s balance that makes it so unbelievably addictive.
So what he is saying is that the unbalanced broken game is part of the addiction? lol what

Hylian7

Dota 2 the 1000 hour re

I though this was a bug?

Otherwise pretty read.
The CM think is in fact a bug, as she goes bald too.

I really don't think any of the female outfits are particularly offensive or sporting "female armor" syndrome. The only real exception to this rule is QoP, who is supposed to look like that. I guess maybe you could make an exception for Windrunner, with the midriff showing top and those... Whatever not-shoes they are on her feet.

I don't understand the "all the women are support" complaint at all though.

Acinixys

I really don't think any of the female outfits are particularly offensive or sporting "female armor" syndrome. The only real exception to this rule is QoP, who is supposed to look like that. I guess maybe you could make an exception for Windrunner, with the midriff showing top and those... Whatever not-shoes they are on her feet.

Dota heros are tame compared to the garbage LoL puts out

Interfectum

Three of the hardest carries in the game are female, what a bizarre point to make.

He also posted a picture of QoP as an example of lack of / tight clothing on a female character. She's a succubus and probably the worst "offender" of his point. I always thought Valve did a pretty good job in regards to female characters.

TUSR

Banned
Vlad Savov is a fucking moron. That article is a joke and not even worth quoting.

1000 hours and doesn't know hero roles?

fml from /r/dota2

I remember reading a lot the complaint about vipers wings that they are basicly facing the wrong side.
Right?
Wrong
The face that is flying is actually his rectum, while his actual head is behind and hes just flying backwards
Thats the truth about vipers wings

K.Sabot

The quality I've come to expect from The Verge and all Vox Media subsidiaries.

edit: besides SBNation, that's alright with me.

inkls

Vlad Savov is a fucking moron. That article is a joke and not even worth quoting.

1000 hours and doesn't know hero roles?

What kind of history does he have?

fml from /r/dota2

I don't see why people want realism in dota. I'm pretty sure in a game where you have a talking bear and a purple dude who can stop time to name only those two that stuff like biology or the laws of physics should not be your primary concern.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
For all the shit Peruvians and Russians get among the Dota community I think this game (particularly its casters) has made me more hostile towards Commonwealth English speakers than either.

Wok

How to lose a pub game in the trench?

Case 1: Face the most stupid heroes.

One you have activated your blademail against Shadow Blade Sniper or Drow Ranger, who happen to run really fast thanks to their MoMs, a phantom assassin jumps on you while blademail is on cooldown.

qZq1rhv.png
4wDRKGb.png

Case 2: Face the best of the rats

Let them get the barracks, and you cannot push anymore or they will backdoor the ancients. They have lost every team fight against us and the mega creeps, but there is just no way to push before they rat in the base.

Ko8VPSv.png
IjL0Bdb.png

For all the shit Peruvians and Russians get among the Dota community I think this game (particularly its casters) has made me more hostile towards Commonwealth English speakers than either.

I can agree with this.

I had the most pleasant game last night, barely any chatting, only the essentials, no flaming, no foreign languages, just play Dota. Felt so good.

Interfectum

In terms of sheer rage nothing tops a North American player over voice chat. "WHAT THE FUCCCK ARE YOU DOING PUDGE OH MY GOD OH MY FUCKING GOD"

Dota 2 the 1000 hour re

I though this was a bug?

Otherwise pretty read.
It's funny because the guy actually has 90 games on Phantom Assassin.

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/158821421

Hupsel

I think Dota 2 is one of the games where the female heroines are more covered than the rest, specially LoL and the alternate skins. Only QoP and maybe Venge show more skin. Luna is the best waifu and shes in that delicious fabulous beautiful full body baby blue latex suit.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anybody know if there's any way to remove all this new targeted marketing from the main Steam store page? I gotta scroll down like fifty pages just to get to the Top Sellers and Specials because Steam is trying to sell me crap it thinks I want.

kvk1

Anybody know if there's any way to remove all this new targeted marketing from the main Steam store page? I gotta scroll down like fifty pages just to get to the Top Sellers and Specials because Steam is trying to sell me crap it thinks I want.

Not the answer you're looking for, but I always use the store through my internet browser.

Same thing with the main Steam website.

All of that stuff is just too clunky from within the client.

Edit: I think you're already doing this. I'm an idiot who doesn't properly read posts.

BeesEight

Dota 2 has some of the better female designs. Personally, I think they could be better but they're ahead of the competition so that's something. If they dropped the boobs on armour design, they'd have reached perfection.

(I am glad that Dota's monstrous females are actually monstrous. Can't wait to see winter wyvern.)

I actually strongly agree with you and do the exact same thing lol. I mute the stream and play music.

The number of casters I actually listen to versus those that are muted are in a very small minority.

LiQuid!

Enhanced Stem is in the works.

What's this then? Vanilla Steam has been increasingly annoying me. Like, now there's a music player option on my context menu that I can't get rid of, which changed the position of my "friends" option and it's totally messing up my vibe.

Kalnos

Banned
In terms of sheer rage nothing tops a North American player over voice chat. "WHAT THE FUCCCK ARE YOU DOING PUDGE OH MY GOD OH MY FUCKING GOD"

Definitely. These whiny cunts are the worst.

Spanish/Portuguese speakers only really piss me off if they talk in their own language for the entire game and then proceed to flame their team in all chat in English at the end.

Quesa

Besides the whole women/support thing (if he wanted to point out the overbearing machismo of the game, I think the 17/108 ratio of women to characters would have been a better sticking point), I thought it was a good read. And if he wanted to harp on CM, how about the fact she's supposed to be bundled up for the snow and yet her outfit still has plenty of room to show her boobs (half the women characters do this as well, and LC has fatal boob armor).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Besides the whole women/support thing (if he wanted to point out the overbearing machismo of the game, I think the 17/108 ratio of women to characters would have been a better sticking point), I thought it was a good read. And if he wanted to harp on CM, how about the fact she's supposed to be bundled up for the snow and yet her outfit still has plenty of room to show her boobs (half the women characters do this as well, and LC has fatal boob armor).
I think cm's out fit really is just for fashion, she is the most power frost mage living and doesn't actually need her clothing to stay "warm".

inkls

Yeah, to be fair they didn't have much wiggle room with most characters since dota 2 is essentially a port. I still like what they did with LC and am looking forward to WW (regardless of gender, dat ult).

Same thing about armor, although I don't think alot of armors in dota are designed with practicality in mind.

HOLY SHIT IM BLIND GET THIS GREMLIN AWAY FROM ME

manfestival

I think Dota 2 is one of the games where the female heroines are more covered than the rest, specially LoL and the alternate skins. Only QoP and maybe Venge show more skin. Luna is the best waifu and shes in that delicious fabulous beautiful full body baby blue latex suit.

HOLY SHIT IM BLIND GET THIS GREMLIN AWAY FROM ME

Your terrible choice in females. There is NOBODY quite like Brood Mother

What kind of history does he have?

He's probably theverge's best writer. It's odd he's getting shit (aside from the females=support which is just wrong) because his point is pretty much what everyone says about dota that there's some over sexualization of the female heroes but it's better than other games.

Hylian7

I think cm's out fit really is just for fashion, she is the most power frost mage living and doesn't actually need her clothing to stay "warm".
Basically, same thing goes for Lina.

There really ain't anything wrong with a bit of cleavage. It isn't to levels of " dental floss covering the nipples"

In a fantasy thing, casters wear more fashionable clothing. Invoker does it too.

Ketch

TotalBiscuit's critique of article:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ngiujr

The CM cosmetic glitch as sexism seems silly. This might be an example of trying too hard.

You know. Total biscuit is an idiot sometimes and sometimes he's not. I like most of his YouTube shit. What he wrote here is pretty spot on, and sums up why I'm hesitant to jump on "video games are sexist" bandwagon.

The verge article, at least those sections quoted, is pandering.

Hupsel

Yeah, to be fair they didn't have much wiggle room with most characters since dota 2 is essentially a port. I still like what they did with LC and am looking forward to WW (regardless of gender, dat ult).

Same thing about armor, although I don't think alot of armors in dota are designed with practicality in mind.

Wheres your pcerino?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

As far as female representation Valve is about as good as it gets with this kind of thing, which is to say that the female characters that are there encompass a wide variety of roles and personalities, and the conventionally human looking ones are also all conventionally attractive. I'd like it if there was a larger ratio of female to male characters and if there were more female characters who were "unattractive" like Pudge or Lifestealer or inhuman, like Bristleback and Bane, but yeah, by the standards of the time Dota 2 is just fine

I love Necro so much

Hes the hidden gem of Dota

Mek + Aghs and you can kill anyone

Plus he scales so well into the late game

Getting a refresher on Necro is pretty gross
That's disgusting

I'm disgusted
Normally I roll wih Mek and Dagon (I know), but next time I'm going to try with aghs and refresher.

Dagon isn't all that bad on Necro, he has trouble getting enemies down to low enough health to ulti so if you don't have anyone else to deal damage getting Dagon is a decent idea.

Hupsel

Is that you kotl?

Still deaderino. Getting paid on Wednesday and I'm almost done deciding on what parts I want to buy. For the laptop though its mostly just rebooting with my fingers crossed until it remembers it has an nvidia card and fixes the resolution.

Bah fuck PCs get a 360 and lets play the Lord of the Rings MOBA... best moba. True.
highfive.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom