• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Renekton

On the subject of the Temple in the Oasis:

Is it actually worth collecting all those shards to open the doors? Can you open all of them, or are there only enough shards in the game to fully open some of them?
Yes you can open all, and it's not worth it.

Skyhold is just the beginning of the real game lol.

You got to be shitting me, I spent so god damn long getting ever single thing done that you can possibly do before I went on the big quest to close the breach thinking that was the end and then it all kicked off and I was like oh so that's not the end ><

Wulfram

What's the quickest way to get out of the Hinterlands? I've got like 50 icons on my map but I can't even see which is supposed to be for the main quest.

All you need is 4 power, which you'll get by doing pretty much whatever. So it doesn't really matter too much. Though heading in the direction of the horse master, while doing some of the stuff that you run into on the way is probably a good first objective, you might as well get your horse before moving on.

What's the quickest way to get out of the Hinterlands? I've got like 50 icons on my map but I can't even see which is supposed to be for the main quest.

Open your quest log, the story quests are under Inquisition tab or whatever, the first tab. The main quest is going to the village to talk to Mother Giselle. If you've done that already, the next step isn't in Hinterlands.

56 hours and I just got to Skyhold, how far through is that?

To be fair I think about 12 of those hours were because I hit the Playstation button on the PS4 thinking it pauses the game as your on the dashboard, turns out I don't think it does.

Depends on how much side stuff you have already done and how much you plan to do. You're about 1/3 done with the main story.

You got to be shitting me, I spent so god damn long getting ever single thing done that you can possibly do before I went on the big quest to close the breach thinking that was the end and then it all kicked off and I was like oh so that's not the end ><
The main story isn't very long, how much is left really depends on how much time you spend doing other things.

50 hours and I think I'm halfway through the game.
You're probably much closer to the end than you think.

Dahbomb

56 hours and I just got to Skyhold, how far through is that?

To be fair I think about 12 of those hours were because I hit the Playstation button on the PS4 thinking it pauses the game as your on the dashboard, turns out I don't think it does.
Depending on how many Power points you have, you are about 1/4th done.

I got to Skyhold at the 15 hour mark and I got there faster than most people. I have easily played 5 times that much since then to beat the final story mission with a ton of side quests to still do.

Main quest icon is a doubled up downward triangle. Those quests are also listed as "the Inquisitor's Path" in the journal.

However, one of the early critical path items has you being required to earn 4 Power to Travel to Val Royeaux. If that's the case then you just need to do enough sidequests to get 4 Power Points (just about everything gives you at least 1 point so it should be super quick) and then unlock Val Royeaux on the War Table.

Damn, at what point do I get to Skyhold?

The beginning apparently, took me 57 hours to get there though and just spent about 2 hours talking to everyone to get through all the dialogue options.

Wow I know the reviews said it was a big game but I'm starting to feel a bit overwelmed by it all now. I suffer from that condition which means I can't move from an area until I have done every single little thing you can do there. There was this god damn quest in the Hinterlands where I had to get this flower for something and I spent about 5 hours looking for it before I finally admitted defeat and had to look online and found out I couldn't even find it in the Hinterlands so that has been bugging me ever since I left there.

mUGHKqL.jpg

Jebral

So, have any of you fellow PC users had pants lose their color at random? Sometimes it's just me, sometimes it's my whole party.

Zdjb.png

Damnit :-(

At least the color comes back randomly, too.

royox

The beginning apparently, took me 57 hours to get there though and just spent about 2 hours talking to everyone to get through all the dialogue options.

Wow I know the reviews said it was a big game but I'm starting to feel a bit overwelmed by it all now. I suffer from that condition which means I can't move from an area until I have done every single little thing you can do there. There was this god damn quest in the Hinterlands where I had to get this flower for something and I spent about 5 hours looking for it before I finally admitted defeat and had to look online and found out I couldn't even find it in the Hinterlands so that has been bugging me ever since I left there.

mUGHKqL.jpg

Well...the game has like 9 zones as big as hinterlands full of quests...enjoy your +300 hours game lol.

SRTtoZ

The amount of effects on screen when you have 2 mages with chain lightning procs plus every other spell we're casting is pretty crazy.

So, have any of you fellow PC users had pants lose their color at random? Sometimes it's just me, sometimes it's my whole party.

Zdjb.png

Are you changing their slot layout and upgrading them? That will change the color of your armor depending on the ore/cloth you use.

leng jai

All you need is 4 power, which you'll get by doing pretty much whatever. So it doesn't really matter too much. Though heading in the direction of the horse master, while doing some of the stuff that you run into on the way is probably a good first objective, you might as well get your horse before moving on.

Open your quest log, the story quests are under Inquisition tab or whatever, the first tab. The main quest is going to the village to talk to Mother Giselle. If you've done that already, the next step isn't in Hinterlands.

Main quest icon is a doubled up downward triangle. Those quests are also listed as "the Inquisitor's Path" in the journal.

However, one of the early critical path items has you being required to earn 4 Power to Travel to Val Royeaux. If that's the case then you just need to do enough sidequests to get 4 Power Points (just about everything gives you at least 1 point so it should be super quick) and then unlock Val Royeaux on the War Table.

Thanks guys, the War Table part was what I was missing. I knew I had to go to Val Royeaux but couldn't see where it was on the map.

Jebral

The amount of effects on screen when you have 2 mages with chain lightning procs plus every other spell we're casting is pretty crazy.

Are you changing their slot layout and upgrading them? That will change the color of your armor depending on the ore/cloth you use.

Yup. That's the same armor separated by 30 seconds. They just lose color sometimes, and if I stop to pay attention it seems that everyone's legs sometimes go khaki. Strange and irritating kink in my desire to play dress-up.

Zdjb.png

I had this issue last night with my red boots. They look the same as yours, so maybe its an issue with that specific model?

Dahbomb

For the record it's possible to beat the main story without even doing one side quest on multiple major maps.

I finished the game without doing any side quests on the following large maps:

Emerald Grove
Storm Coast
Fallow Mire
Hissing Wastes
Western Approach

I focused on just doing Hinterlands, Crestwood, Exalted Plains, Emprise Du Lion and a few smaller areas.

Also I have a really good Assassin Archer build. I feel that once I get a right tank spec down I can take on Dragons.

People have to realize that you can't 100% an area when you first get there. It's literally impossible because you unlock new characters later on who have you going back to old areas.

hlhbk

Bioware said the patch was currently in QA. But who knows how long it'll take before it is actually approved (no doubt lots of back and forths with bugs and more bugs due to fixes).

And yeah, it seems like the Banter thing is just so inconsistent it's just one of those that's hard to track down. Happens for some and not for others with little to no commonalities between the circumstances.

Hope they at least fixed the Voice change bug when meeting and customizing that person in Act 2.

If this game had liveops then they could make quick patches, but as a traditional game, they have to adhere to the QA protocol that EA has set in place when it comes to making new Versions (1.1, etc.)

LOL wait a minute why would it take forever in QA? I mean considering Bioware obviously did 0 QA before releasing the game why start now?

LOL wait a minute why would it take forever in QA? I mean considering Bioware obviously did 0 QA before releasing the game why start now?

I hope you're joking.
If it's true, I'll definitely worship them. That's a god like feat to release a massive game like this with 0 QA.

LX_Theo

Banned

Ugh. I've only ever seen posts from you here trying to blast shit like that. Its really quite pathetic.

Xeteh

I hope you're joking.
If it's true, I'll definitely worship them. That's a god like feat to release a massive game like this with 0 QA.

Nah, they very clearly coded this game over a week or so and then didn't care enough to finish it and released it.

People need to remember the amount of bugs in games like Skyrim when they first launched. I'm annoyed with how slow Bioware has been about the banter bug but a game of this size having a ton of bugs is not surprising.

I hope you're joking.

Think it's more of a jab at how the game is full of glitches and bugs. That said they certainly did some QA, just probably not enough, but then again it's hard to do enough with such a large game, better just release when it works "alright" and fix stuff as you go. Patches are pretty slow though and the inability of modding the game to fix stuff yourself is hurting it quite a bit too, skyrim had a bunch of mods popping up to fix some stuff right away like some interface issues and what not.

Zdjb.png

It's suppose to be dust/dirt from running around. If you have your character wear a long coat you'll see the dirt on the tail of the coat as well. It's a stupid effect all things considered (running in water doesn't clean it off).

hlhbk

Ugh. I've only ever seen posts from you here trying to blast shit like that. Its really quite pathetic.

Releasing the game with the cutscene performance, dialogue bug, broken conversation wheels and more in a story focused game is a joke. Companies wonder why people don't by games day 1 and blame piracy all the time. How about looking in a fucking mirror and release a polished fucking game.

So does the Hero of Ferelden ever show up? I had a war room thing to track him and
got a letter back saying that he was trying to find a way to stop the calling. The weird thing was my protagonist was supposed to be king. Alastair even mentions that he ran off into the hands of Anora which confirms it. I dunno

This game is fantastic.

Really wish the dialog was more substantial and better written like Origins was, though.

I also really miss cutting heads and limbs off from Origins, goddammit. It made the combat feel way more satisfying than it actually was.

So is there any way to directly access your war room map without traveling to skyhold and walking into the room?

No. Just don't forget to say hello to Josie as you pass by.

WTF? How are people in this thread defending this shit? It's a joke.

I'm not defending it. Sure the game is buggy, but it's not unplayable (hence people finished it). Let's at least give Bioware a credit for creating this beautiful game and not yell 0 QA. They're working on the patches (3 patches actually), and I'm politely asking you to calm down and wait.

This game is fantastic.

Really wish the dialog was more substantial and better written like Origins was, though.

I also really miss cutting heads and limbs off from Origins, goddammit. It made the combat feel way more satisfying than it actually was.

This is way better than Origins, in my opinion. Take into mind Origins had some really good lines, but some of these ones take the cake.

hlhbk

No. Just don't forget to say hello to Josie as you pass by.

I'm not defending it. Sure the game is buggy, but it's not unplayable (hence people finished it). Let's at least give Bioware a credit for creating this beautiful game and not yell 0 QA. They're working on the patches (3 patches actually), and I'm politely asking you to calm down and wait.

#1 I am so pissed because I really want to play the game because it is great.

#2. These fucking bugs never should have been in this game at release.

#3. People just dumped 100 hours into the game and now found out the banter bug was present.

Xeteh

So does the Hero of Ferelden ever show up? I had a war room thing to track him and
got a letter back saying that he was trying to find a way to stop the calling. The weird thing was my protagonist was supposed to be king. Alastair even mentions that he ran off into the hands of Anora which confirms it. I dunno

There seems to be a few ways for this story to go but overall...
No. Your character gets mentioned by Leliana or Morrigan depending if you romanced them in Origins. You get a Codex letter from the Warden depending or not if you do the war table job that pops up later in the game if you romanced Leliana/Morrigan/Alastair... but the Warden never shows up like Hawke does... which is a huge disappointment.

Braag

Zdjb.png

Hasn't happened to me but I noticed some of the items lack textures completely. I was going to add an armor upgrade to Blackwalls armor and the upgrade had no textures at all, it was just white.
WTF BioWare.

Minions

Wow I had some serious frame rate issues when fighting
The Highland Ravager
in Emprise Du Lion on PS4.

Game came down to slide show... almost unplayable. The first attempt at the fight didn't have as bad of frame rate issues but it was still very noticeable. Perhaps it has to do with how much fire is on the ground at a given time?

Whelp..... just finished the game at about 60 hours. Great game.

I was planning to start Far Cry 4 after finishing DA, but I'm somehow around 90 minutes into a new game as a female Qunari rogue. It's so nice not having to switch characters to pick locks. I played my first game as a human male warrior.... what do I need to know about playing a twin-dagger rogue instead of a regular brute-strength melee charactery?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Well...the game has like 9 zones as big as hinterlands full of quests...enjoy your +300 hours game lol.

No zone is nearly as big as the Hinterlands.

Don't get me wrong - DA:I is probably the biggest game since Skyrim. But it isn't close to accurate to claim to people early on that it's Hinterlands x10.

A few zones are as geographically big, but they still have half or less the content housed in the Hinterlands, which is densely packed and huge.

LuuKyK

How the hell do I reach the northern hills in the Hinterlands for some specific side-quest (that I don't remember the name lol)? The only thing in that area is that Wolf Cave or whatever its called. I tried going around but the road that goes to Redcliffe has no detours to the left in that direction. :(

Wag

Holy shit. I'm playing the PC version of the game, and I just got to Skyhold. I got to the point where I met with Varric on the battlements and all of a sudden my character's voice changed. Now I sound like a prissy douchebag. LOL

Holy shit. I'm playing the PC version of the game, and I just got to Skyhold. I got to the point where I met with Varric on the battlements and all of a sudden my character's voice changed. Now I sound like a prissy douchebag. LOL

It's a glitch. If you try to customize
Hawke
, that's what happens. Use the default and it'll be fine.

should i really try to get out of hinterlands asap?
do i just follow the story quests in order to do so?

Well, you could stay as you see fit. Only bear in mind that the game's pace and quest design is not meant for you to finish absolutely everything before continuing the main quest. You might get burned out of doing the sidequests for hours and you'd definitely be over-leveled for the main quest afterwards.

It is designed to be completed incrementally throughout your game.

Top Bottom