• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

studyguy

Alright beat this game a few times now in a number of ways and I think I've had my fill.
It's definitely better than DA2, but still introduced more flaws than I would have liked on the mechanical/gameplay side. They fix that and the next one will be nice. Maybe I'll give it a roll again once the DLC drops.

Been fun DA:I GAF, glitches and all.
iUwKKHK.jpg

Ralemont

not me
Holy shit. So I just randomly got bored of playing as my mage (which isn't that fun tbh) and switched to Varric (rogue) and... wow, he's SO much more fun to play as! I made him a dagger rogue and the abilities are so fun and I feel so much more powerful as him. Do mages just suck or do I not have good spells yet? :/ Or maybe not suck, but I feel like they aren't fun to use right now.

Rogues definitely do better burst damage. I think mages get a lot more fun once you get the specializations. and they can do pretty great AOE damage (Pull of the Abyss ---> Fire Mine OP). Maybe look into getting Rogue abilities that Sleep or Warrior abilities that stun so that your mage can Eldritch detonate those status affects for massive damage.

On a sort-of different note, my current playthrough is sporting Friendly Fire on Nightmare and it's...surprisingly enjoyable? Once you know which abilities do FF and which don't (it doesn't say in the description so I had to find a list online) I do think it adds a good amount of difficulty to what otherwise would be a fairly easy game. Plus, each tree tends to have a "FF-safe" and "FF-dangerous" path so you're never really screwed upgrading trees. There are certain abilities you just can't take, though, like Mighty Blow. IMO any move that doesn't have an explicit AOE circle or visible AOE designation shouldn't have FF (goddamn you Chain Lightning).

Okay, so I have a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help me out with:

1. Valuables - these are just to sell right? Outside of the enemy research items? No reason to hold on to them?

2. I noticed some of the party members' starting equips say "[x character[ only", just wanted to know if there was anything special to them, or if I can safely sell them. I don't want to get rid of them and find out you need to keep them around to make some kind of ultimate equipment or something

3. Who are the better party members overall? So far I'm a Mage and I'm going to be a Knight Enchanter. For the rest of my party, what characters do you guys suggest? I love both Blackwall and Cassandra, but I think having both is redundant, so I think I'm going to lean towards Blackwall. I also just got the elf girl, is she better or worse than Varric? Varric seems pretty important, but I'm kind of not crazy about having him in my party, is it fine to not bring him along? How about the mages? I know Vivienne(?) is a Knight Enchanter, so she'd be redundant, so it is down to Solas who I find kind of boring and the other guy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4. Lastly, do all your party members gain experience, or just who you bring around with you?

Ralemont

not me
Okay, so I have a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help me out with:

1. Valuables - these are just to sell right? Outside of the enemy research items? No reason to hold on to them?

2. I noticed some of the party members' starting equips say "[x character[ only", just wanted to know if there was anything special to them, or if I can safely sell them. I don't want to get rid of them and find out you need to keep them around to make some kind of ultimate equipment or something

3. Who are the better party members overall? So far I'm a Mage and I'm going to be a Knight Enchanter. For the rest of my party, what characters do you guys suggest? I love both Blackwall and Cassandra, but I think having both is redundant, so I think I'm going to lean towards Blackwall. I also just got the elf girl, is she better or worse than Varric? Varric seems pretty important, but I'm kind of not crazy about having him in my party, is it fine to not bring him along? How about the mages? I know Vivienne(?) is a Knight Enchanter, so she'd be redundant, so it is down to Solas who I find kind of boring and the other guy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4. Lastly, do all your party members gain experience, or just who you bring around with you?

1. You can sell all valuables that aren't creature items. Some are used for requisitions but requisitions are sort of pointless unless you really need to grind Power.

2. You can safely sell them.

3. Blackwall is the better tank because of his Champion spec, Cassandra does nice damage against demons because of her Templar spec (so she's good for Rifts, of which there are plenty). Tempest is better than Artificer in a vacuum so Sera is better if you micromanage, but Varric's AI tends to handle Artificer better than Sera's AI handles Tempest. Between Solas and Dorian: Solas's Rift mage spec is better than Dorian's necro, but Dorian is a great character story-wise so if you think Solas is boring by all means take him. Unless you are playing on Nightmare I'd recommend simply bringing the characters whose personalities you enjoy the most.

4. Everyone gains EXP even if not in the party.

Thanks for all the quick answers!

So for Sera, is she supposed to be a bow user, or daggers?

Also, when you use one of those amulets that give a character an extra skill point, does that skill point stick around forever or can you lose it if you re-spec?

Ralemont

not me
AI-controlled companions can have trouble as DW dagger since they get hit a lot whereas bow users are at a safe distance and require less positioning.

Skill points are there forever.

Ricker

Thanks for all the quick answers!

So for Sera, is she supposed to be a bow user, or daggers?

Also, when you use one of those amulets that give a character an extra skill point, does that skill point stick around forever or can you lose it if you re-spec?

I figured bow because when she is introduced,she is all archer...plus my main is a Rogue with daggers,you get Cole later on also so I left her with Bows...I don't use her much but I do switch her out with Varric at times.

Recall

Don't understand the war room map, it's so unclear what is a mission and what suddenly jumps the story on.

This game is fucking so not for me.

It explains so little yet punishes you for it not telling everything or even anything.

Ralemont

not me
Don't understand the war room map, it's so unclear what is a mission and what suddenly jumps the story on.

It explains so little yet punishes you for it not telling everything or even anything.

Story missions have a big Rift above their icon on the map.

TheYanger

Uh, it's perfectly clear. The story missions tend to have huge green portals over them, and they cost a ton of power. The little pyramids scout new areas in the world for you and may be required for the story to advance at times but are not in and of themselves 'story missions' (They also have green portals over them when they're required). The little sunburst things are undone missions that are just war room missions, and anything else that is a little piece is just an indicator of a one time war room mission that you decided what you got by who you used.

Green = main story advancement. Pyramid = unlock area. Rest = random bullshit you don't have to do.

Not even sure what you mean about it not explaining things or punishing you, it explains exactly what you have to do the first time you go to the war table and from there you can just follow the main plotline which is never obtuse. Nor does it ever punish you? Baffling comment. You also have a quest journal at any time to see what you want to do.

Melchiah

I'd say...

Cassandra - good in combat, good dialogue
Blackwall - good in combat, mostly boring dialogue
Iron Bull - mediocre in combat (drains your potions), amusing dialogue

Sera - good in combat, amusing dialogue
Varric - mediocre in combat (Bianca's DPS is pretty low, even when upgraded), mostly boring dialogue
Cole - close combat (drains your potions), sometimes offers interesting tidbits

Solas - Rift Mage abilities are good, informative dialogue (go-to guy for story missions)
Dorian - Necromancer abilities are more interesting, amusing dialogue
Vivienne - redundant to you, boring dialogue

3. Blackwall is the better tank because of his Champion spec, Cassandra does nice damage against demons because of her Templar spec (so she's good for Rifts, of which there are plenty).

When you reach a certain level neither of them is taken down easily. Only one of the dragons in Emprise Du Lion managed to bring Cassandra down later on in the game.

TheYanger

How the is it clear where it doesn't even display a legend?

I'm not sure what you need one for? It shows you how to use the war table the first time you ever use it in the game. Sure, there are differences between the different types of pieces on there, but it's also irrelevent what they are. At a basic level you can just click on something and see what it is. Knowing which ones advance the plot should be basic as hell since it's what they've been talking about. Like, "We need to go to place X to find Y" and then you have a mission to go to place X (with a rift over it, though that is never overtly stated in that fashion no), do you REALLY misunderstand that that is where the story is advancing?

DA;I is the only game I beat last year AND the first game in nearly 6 years I have replayed. So kudos to this game.

Honestly, I wish we had more of the Winterball type of quest or at least make it longer.
I'd say...

Cassandra - good in combat, good dialogue
Blackwall - good in combat, mostly boring dialogue
Iron Bull - mediocre in combat (drains your potions), amusing dialogue

Sera - good in combat, amusing dialogue
Varric - mediocre in combat (Bianca's DPS is pretty low, even when upgraded), mostly boring dialogue
Cole - close combat (drains your potions), sometimes offers interesting tidbits

Solas - Rift Mage abilities are good, informative dialogue (go-to guy for story missions)
Dorian - Necromancer abilities are more interesting, amusing dialogue
Vivienne - redundant to you, boring dialogue

I would laugh and mock your rating for dialogue but then that would be projecting my subjective opinion over yours. Damn you opinions.

Melchiah

I would laugh and mock your rating for dialogue but then that would be projecting my subjective opinion over yours. Damn you opinions.

Heh, well I've most likely missed some good bits, but that's the way it seemed to me. For a comic relief, Iron Bull, Sera and Dorian might be the best team. It was always painstaking to leave Dorian out for the information Solas provided.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Honestly, I wish we had more of the Winterball type of quest or at least make it longer.
Oh maker no.

Making a shit choice out of shit options isn't exciting. I don't think they did the political thing any justice at all in the game. Plus, humans are boring.
I would have loved to take over Orlais instead.

After finishing the game, I only have the desire to maybe round off the shards and dragon quests, and that's it.

Asbear

Banned
I'm halfway through my second playthrough. I realize now that I should've picked the Templar's questline on my first playthrough because I find it to be far superior storywise than "LOL Timetravelling" and AFAIK Mages didn't even have anything major like Temple of Dumal which feels like a proper main quest with cutscenes and unique level design, not to mention you get to know more about Corypheus so you hadn't half-forgotten him when the final encounter happens.

But more so than anything, my second playthrough here, just reaffirms what I felt the first time. The pacing is just so bad because of the open environments that have nothing but boring side-quests in them. I actually had things going pretty well here, reaching Skyhold at the 20-hour mark as opposed to 38 hours on my first playthrough and I immediately kicked off a ton of companion quests this time but having played for 5 hours today, I'm already running out of companion quests to do and I have not even opened half the areas in the game.

All this talk Bioware has of "systematized game-design" or whatever they call it. Roll-back and reverse please. You did so well 8 years ago with ME1 and DA:O. They indulged you enough with story to keep you excited and they also indulged you enough with gameplay and exploration to keep it interesting and varied.

DA:I has me feeling exhausted and fatigued after a couple of hours because NOTHING SIGNIFICANT HAPPENS for long sessions of play.

Sigfodr

Hey, so I'm lame and still haven't finished my first playthrough. But I was checking the wiki and apparently one of Solas's personal quests is bugged, "What Lies Dormant." I did a little searching but I can't find if it is fixed or if I'm not doing something right. Little help?

Still don't understand how devour is even useful. Is it bugged, or nerfed? I see people say you can heal with it but, it doesn't heal me for much at all. Reaver is really underwhelming...people say a million different builds on how to play it, and y'know none work.

Still don't understand how devour is even useful. Is it bugged, or nerfed? I see people say you can heal with it but, it doesn't heal me for much at all. Reaver is really underwhelming...people say a million different builds on how to play it, and y'know none work.
Devour heals more the less health you have. Ring of Pain decreases it's cooldown rate. Needless to say it shouldn't be your primary means of healing. Reaver is extremely effective in my experience.

Akainu

So do you get a like bank or storage in the game or are you forced to carry everything. It sucks carrying around a weapon or armor you can't use for like 4 levels. And can you ever buy crafting materials?

hateradio

So do you get a like bank or storage in the game or are you forced to carry everything. It sucks carrying around a weapon or armor you can't use for like 4 levels. And can you ever buy crafting materials?
I don't think there's a storage locker, and depending on what you deem is important, you can upgrade your personal storage using the Inquisition perks system. The perks system is such shit, though.

You can buy some crafting materials, but mostly you'll have to farm them.

Oh maker no.

Making a shit choice out of shit options isn't exciting. I don't think they did the political thing any justice at all in the game. Plus, humans are boring.
I would have loved to take over Orlais instead.

After finishing the game, I only have the desire to maybe round off the shards and dragon quests, and that's it.
It was my favorite quest after the mages.

Well the game does serve your needs more, but I wish they had more of the politics. I find it rather strange that the leader of a huge military and political force doesn't partake in THE GAME.

I spend the whole 60+ hours killing shit, that quest represented a huge major break and and I just wished bioware had more it less gamey and more dialogue driven.

hateradio

It was my favorite quest after the mages.

Well the game does serve your needs more, but I wish they had more of the politics. I find it rather strange that the leader of a huge military and political force doesn't partake in THE GAME.

I spend the whole 60+ hours killing shit, that quest represented a huge major break and and I just wished bioware had more it less gamey and more dialogue driven.
We have different opinions then. I didn't like the Mage one as much as I did the Templar one. :eek:

I would have loved this quest if it had several tweaks.

1. No killing necessary! Win by conversation only. Or if murder is part of it, murder people outside of the combat system.
  2. Remove the trivial approval rating or change it in a way that it doesn't decrease for being AFK. Maybe you could only get approval through talking, and it doesn't decrease unless you say the wrong thing. (Like the dance with Florianne.)
  3. Live up to "THE GAME!" Actually make it so that there is murder and mystery, but don't just flat out splatter blood everywhere and call it a day.
  4. Improve those terrible evesdropping/coin/halla quests. It took me so long to find everything, compared to the actual ball, which is probably a 30-minute event in itself.

For me, it didn't work. Josephine warns you that it's going to be trecharous going through this heavy social circle of influence.
However, then you're only talking to a few people and the whole thing falls apart when you're fighting Venerati a few moments later.

The
haven onsluaght
mission is damn near fucking impossible on nightmare. I had to cheese and run around the fucking town for an hour before I killed everyone and could turn turn the wheel in peace. How could any kind of micromanaging overcome that?

The pacing is just so bad because of the open environments that have nothing but boring side-quests in them.

All this talk Bioware has of "systematized game-design" or whatever they call it. Roll-back and reverse please. You did so well 8 years ago with ME1 and DA:O. They indulged you enough with story to keep you excited and they also indulged you enough with gameplay and exploration to keep it interesting and varied.

DA:I has me feeling exhausted and fatigued after a couple of hours because NOTHING SIGNIFICANT HAPPENS for long sessions of play.

"Why am I here?" is a dangerous question to ask in DA:I because you can't come up with a good reason. Even having Harding flat out tell you it falls apart. There is no reason, story wise, for the Fallow Mire to exist, nor Storm Coast, nor for more than half the fucking maps in the game. Seriously lets look at the Fallow Mire. Very pretty, even for a swamp. You're there because some Inquisition soldiers are missing. You find undead and a guy who wants to fight you. Really Bioware? You created a whole map and filled it with what amounts to side side side quests. And it's like that for most of the maps. They're pretty and fun to explore but Bioware filled them all with Ubisoft shitquests/collectshits.

Now let's ask that same question for DA:O. Why am I here? Well I'm at the mage tower because I need to recruit some templars or mages for my cause. But everything has gone to shit so I'll help them first and make some friends along the way. Why am I in Denerim? Why am I in Orzammar? Why am I in Redcliffe? All are easily answered. Not to mention some great side quests filled with interesting decisions.

Bioware took one step forward, one step backward, and then one step sideways. Frankly, they took some game design inspirations from the wrong places. I hope the next Dragon Age will be as focused as DA:O and DA2.

Lucreto

On the storms coast there is locked door in a mountain that I cannot open. There seems to be 3 red lyrium deposits behind it.

I know it is accessed by the war table but do I need to finish a particular questline to access it?

Ralemont

not me
Now let's ask that same question for DA:O. Why am I here? Well I'm at the mage tower because I need to recruit some templars or mages for my cause. But everything has gone to shit so I'll help them first and make some friends along the way. Why am I in Denerim? Why am I in Orzammar? Why am I in Redcliffe? All are easily answered.

Of course, since those are all main story missions in Origins. The difference between Origins and Inquisition is that Origins has virtually no optional zones, and slightly bigger main quest zones. I'm also not sure what your complaint is about Fallow Mire. Inquisition soldiers have been captured by the leader of the Avaar who wants to challenge you personally to try and win favor from his goddess. Fallow Mire is actually one of the more clear "why am I in this zone" optional zones.

I did laugh when Harding told me we should let the bad guys have the Hissing Wastes because there was nothing there. At least BioWare warned you up front there'd be no story. :p

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
So does crafting stuff with dragon parts have no visual effect besides colour? I figured we'd get a schematic or something to forge some sweet looking armour.

hateradio

I did laugh when Harding told me we should let the bad guys have the Hissing Wastes because there was nothing there. At least BioWare warned you up front there'd be no story. :p
Actually, that goes a bit with the Alpha version they first showed. They explicitly stated that the Western Approach (a night-time version that looked similar to the Hissing Wastes) had no "set goals" but that you could find and explore the place to find interesting quests and what-not.

They obviously didn't really do that, but, yeah, Harding was honest.

Actually, that goes a bit with the Alpha version they first showed. They explicitly stated that the Western Approach (a night-time version that looked similar to the Hissing Wastes) had no "set goals" but that you could find and explore the place to find interesting quests and what-not.

They obviously didn't really do that, but, yeah, Harding was honest.

The tomb was quite interesting but 1 good(not even great) quest per area is a real bummer.

"Why am I here?" is a dangerous question to ask in DA:I because you can't come up with a good reason. Even having Harding flat out tell you it falls apart. There is no reason, story wise, for the Fallow Mire to exist, nor Storm Coast, nor for more than half the fucking maps in the game. Seriously lets look at the Fallow Mire. Very pretty, even for a swamp. You're there because some Inquisition soldiers are missing. You find undead and a guy who wants to fight you. Really Bioware? You created a whole map and filled it with what amounts to side side side quests. And it's like that for most of the maps. They're pretty and fun to explore but Bioware filled them all with Ubisoft shitquests/collectshits.

Now let's ask that same question for DA:O. Why am I here? Well I'm at the mage tower because I need to recruit some templars or mages for my cause. But everything has gone to shit so I'll help them first and make some friends along the way. Why am I in Denerim? Why am I in Orzammar? Why am I in Redcliffe? All are easily answered. Not to mention some great side quests filled with interesting decisions.

Bioware took one step forward, one step backward, and then one step sideways. Frankly, they took some game design inspirations from the wrong places. I hope the next Dragon Age will be as focused as DA:O and DA2.

Felt this way to. I believe its because they cut the Keep System. IIRC there are Keeps(or Places that can stand in as Keeps) in every zone. When they cut the system they probably just left the quests to clear those areas feeling empty and useless.

Stanng243

I like this game a lot. Some of the design decisions baffle me. No storage? How is that not a basic component in a game like this? And the war table. How is there no way to see only available missions? I try and read the descriptions of new missions when they become available, but once done I need to hunt through every mission on the board to find the right one. It's frustrating.

The tomb was quite interesting but 1 good(not even great) quest per area is a real bummer.
Felt this way to. I believe its because they cut the Keep System. IIRC there are Keeps(or Places that can stand in as Keeps) in every zone. When they cut the system they probably just left the quests to clear those areas feeling empty and useless.

Disappointing, I've been avoiding too much about DA:I as I wanted as 'natural' a play through as possible; I'm a 'gotta-catch-em-all' type when it comes to side activities and I knew if I understood the systems from the off I'd just min/max. It turns out however I've done that by default as the most interesting content the keeps are all done now and it seems as if there's just a big hole on some of the maps.

Is there any specific statement from Bioware on 'cutting' Keeps from the other maps, as you say there are some glaringly obvious 'keep' structures around those maps without them that leave you wondering 'why aren't I capturing this thing?'.

Other thoughts
- Research Materials
Why the hell are these a tradeable item? I've only just realised I've probably missed researching like half the creatures in this game because of my Keep->Vendor->Blacksmith->Everything else cycle on returning from the field.

- Tactics Mode
Why? This game really doesn't need it in default mode (except to tell ranged characters to stop it when they start meleeing) and on harder modes it's zoomed waayyy too close to allow you to do anything and everything takes too long to implement. Goddammit Bioware return to the KOTOR system every other combat system you've come with since has been garbage.

-Dragons
Just killed my first, it was a deeply tedious waiting game, does that change ever?

-Stuff wot I liked
The character stuff and the story missions that involved more than 'go here, hit stuff' (even if they just involved 'here' being a unique location). I can see the Bioware I love behind the MMO guff in this game I just wished they'd trimmed the location budget back and made 2-3 really well written areas rather than the 8-9 intermittently well written ones we have. Also let's be clear I'm 55 hours in and
have only just done the Grey Wardens story mission (Mages chosen prior to being made Inquisitor)
and will be putting another 30-40 in to complete but I won't be replaying this as I have Origins. Even with the 'split' I may just load a save to see what unique content there is on the other side as it seems like a narrative with detours rather than true branches.

I like this game a lot. Some of the design decisions baffle me. No storage? How is that not a basic component in a game like this? And the war table. How is there no way to see only available missions? I try and read the descriptions of new missions when they become available, but once done I need to hunt through every mission on the board to find the right one. It's frustrating.
Also this, it's so bloody annoying to miss missions for hours because the pin is on the northern edge of the map and all but invisible once the highlight is gone. Also the highlighting is so bloody random, the pointless 'Gather Resources' missions seem to be permanently highlighted but the 'actual' missions lose their highlighting permanently once interacted with.

Ricker

On the storms coast there is locked door in a mountain that I cannot open. There seems to be 3 red lyrium deposits behind it.

I know it is accessed by the war table but do I need to finish a particular questline to access it?

Yeah,cant tell you which though but it comes fairly late...if you talk to all your companion once in a while in Skyhold and do most sidequest on the War Table,it's pretty hard to miss,dont worry...

Some Nobody

Huh? Was there supposed to be something more to the Keeps than there already is?

Switched from PS4 to the PC version and daamn does this play better with a higher frame rate. And runs really well, I have only a GTX 680.

But one thing I miss is quick access to the map, on PS4 I could press left on the d-pad, seems this doesn't work on PC? I'm using a Xbox One controller.

Huh? Was there supposed to be something more to the Keeps than there already is?

A leaked early video from PAX or GDC, cant remember which, showed much more destructible environments, regional choices(Save Crestwood or not) and the Keep system. Each of the Keeps were somewhat customizable if you wanted it as an outpost for your spies, soldiers, or something else(probably diplomats) with agents as a currency. They probably streamlined it with the system now with Cullen, Josephine and Leliana with power as the currency. Would have been nice if it was a Total War kind of War table, but I guess that would turn off the casual gamers.

I haven't seen anything yet about why it was cut from the devs themselves, although I was mostly not watching the press stuff before the release.

Mindman

Switched from PS4 to the PC version and daamn does this play better with a higher frame rate. And runs really well, I have only a GTX 680.

But one thing I miss is quick access to the map, on PS4 I could press left on the d-pad, seems this doesn't work on PC? I'm using a Xbox One controller.

Yeah, that doesn't work on the PC version. It's a known glitch.

Chitown B

pretty early in the game and I'm hating the combat. I can't run so I feel like I'm crawling around in battle. The rift closures take forever for each "A" press and if you get hit you have to start over. Plus my teammates seem to be inept and just scarf down all my potions every battle.

pretty early in the game and I'm hating the combat. I can't run so I feel like I'm crawling around in battle. The rift closures take forever for each "A" press and if you get hit you have to start over. Plus my teammates seem to be inept and just scarf down all my potions every battle.

You can't close rifts while demons are still alive. What you are doing is disrupting the rift which stuns the enemies.

If you are a warrior you get a run attack, forgot what it was called. Mages get fade step. Rogues got evades.

You can set how many potions your companions can drink in the tactics menu.

You are not suppose to attempt closing rifts until after it stops spawning demons. You can do it during combag to stun enemies but generally it ain't worth it.

Also dispel removes some rift enemies before they spawn, aka when they are a green light.

Also change your group to follow themselves and don't bother with iron bull I like him but he drinks a lot of potions.

Tobi

Neo Member
I have just finished my nightmare playthrough, playing as a knight enchanter.
That specialization is seriously broken as fuck, with 2 tanks (Cassandra and Blackwall) I have never had any problem.

Now I only need to gather some herbs for the master alchemist achievement and then I'm done.

Maybe I will do a third run, trying to set the world state in the Keep as close as possible to my Origins playthrough.

Some Nobody

A leaked early video from PAX or GDC, cant remember which, showed much more destructible environments, regional choices(Save Crestwood or not) and the Keep system. Each of the Keeps were somewhat customizable if you wanted it as an outpost for your spies, soldiers, or something else(probably diplomats) with agents as a currency. They probably streamlined it with the system now with Cullen, Josephine and Leliana with power as the currency. Would have been nice if it was a Total War kind of War table, but I guess that would turn off the casual gamers.

I haven't seen anything yet about why it was cut from the devs themselves, although I was mostly not watching the press stuff before the release.

Okay, so that wasn't just in my head. I forget which place they showed it at, but I was sure wondering why I couldn't customize the Keeps I found. If this turns out to be some form of DLC I won't lie, I'll be kinda disappointed.

...But considering I put like 90 hours and counting into this game, I'll probably buy it anyway for the option to properly customize things.

jgwhiteus

I have just finished my nightmare playthrough, playing as a knight enchanter.
That specialization is seriously broken as fuck, with 2 tanks (Cassandra and Blackwall) I have never had any problem.

My default dragon-fighting team was KE Inquisitor, Cassandra, Blackwall, and Vivienne. Just switched control between Vivienne and the KE to keep their barriers up, and Cassandra and Blackwall took care of themselves (and when defense was low Cassandra used her Focus move to give everyone guard).

Didn't even have to use health potions on the level 23 Emprise du Lion dragon.

Chitown B

You can't close rifts while demons are still alive. What you are doing is disrupting the rift which stuns the enemies.

If you are a warrior you get a run attack, forgot what it was called. Mages get fade step. Rogues got evades.

You can set how many potions your companions can drink in the tactics menu.

You are not suppose to attempt closing rifts until after it stops spawning demons. You can do it during combag to stun enemies but generally it ain't worth it.

Also dispel removes some rift enemies before they spawn, aka when they are a green light.

Also change your group to follow themselves and don't bother with iron bull I like him but he drinks a lot of potions.

Thanks. I have been trying to hit the rifts to stun the enemies. I'd have people drink less potions but then they'd just die. I'm on hard, and maybe I just need to progress the story more before I try to do any more rifts.

cormack12

Gold Member
Another few questions:

Where/When do I get the options to specialise? I believe I fulfill the level requirements and am at the correct location - where my throne sits in other words.......but I don't see anything to do to activate them?

I also have a quest to speak to an arcanist in the war room. There's a question mark in there on the map, but every time I enter the war room I just cut to the map. If it's a mission, which one is it?

Last one - I created a staff grip earlier in the game at Haven but couldn't attach it/upgrade it onto my staff.....is there are sort of logic as to why this would happen?

Hasney

Knight Enchanter and Tempest are still OP as fuck.

Right, I was trying to get to get through nightmare as a Rogue specifically for this, but I can't even get past the base being invaded.

For that mission, should I be using 2 tanks and a mage for barriers while I let the tanks get aggro and I run around being a nuisance while stealthed basically?

I just got the game two weeks ago, and have been enjoying it quite a bit. But, when I completed the mission "Opposition in All Things" for me, the game took it to a new level. I'm much more engaged in the story now, and can't wait to get back to playing it.

I've been doing my best to not just get stuck roaming the Hinterlands, and try and complete the story missions, but I feel like I perhaps need to focus a bit more. I've got 25 hours played, and am just now set up in
Skyhold.

I really like
The Elder One
as an antagonist so far, and can't wait to get more into that story.

My only complaint is that I thought the introduction of (DA2 returning character)
Hawke
was a little weak.
For such a promininet character in DA2, I felt like there should have been more build up. I haven't progressed very far in this storyline, so maybe there's more to it.

Top Bottom