• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Leatherface

I just wanted to come in here to say that I love this damn game so much. I recently began playing again after taking a long break to get life stuff done. But before getting back into Dragon Age again I jumped into an Elder Scrolls Online free weekend, which was admittedly fun at first but lost it's luster with me quickly. So I decided to bail out of Elder Scrolls Online and jump back into my Dragon Age campaign. Man oh man what a difference it makes in an RPG when the quests, voice acting, story and game play in general are just orders of magnitude higher in quality. That is just SO important for an RPG and that stark contrast between the two games (IMO) really made me appreciate the quality of Dragon Age Inquisition. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Thank you Bioware! :)

Ralemont

not me
I also wanted to say that my second playthrough in general has been very enjoyable. It's especially helpful to know how to curate your game experience: you know where the good story quests are in each zone, you know what you can skip (hint: absolutely all of the collection quests), you know which zones you like running around in, you get to bring another cast of characters with you everywhere (Sera's banter is just the best), and you can begin to craft a meta-narrative for your PC since you know the events of the game (Dalish female elf being the most relevant PC).

Also, sounds like Black Emporium is out next week for PC players at least? Some people are reporting a release date on Origin for it.

Guys I'm 15 hours in and chose a sword and shield guy, have I fucked up? I usually always go for a Mage, but this won't affect my abilities later on during the game right? In terms of boss battles, it's feasible to beat them without being a Mage for example.

Edit: any advice on the most efficient way to level up?

Lucreto

I also wanted to say that my second playthrough in general has been very enjoyable. It's especially helpful to know how to curate your game experience: you know where the good story quests are in each zone, you know what you can skip (hint: absolutely all of the collection quests), you know which zones you like running around in, you get to bring another cast of characters with you everywhere (Sera's banter is just the best), and you can begin to craft a meta-narrative for your PC since you know the events of the game (Dalish female elf being the most relevant PC).

Also, sounds like Black Emporium is out next week for PC players at least? Some people are reporting a release date on Origin for it.

Black Emporium will be on all platforms Tuesday.

Guys I'm 15 hours in and chose a sword and shield guy, have I fucked up? I usually always go for a Mage, but this won't affect my abilities later on during the game right? In terms of boss battles, it's feasible to beat them without being a Mage for example.

I never played as a Mage. Solus does the job well. Just keep doing side missions to level up.

I got the platinum!
LI1rUua.jpg
Nightmare was so frustrating in the beginning because every single thing could kill in 1-2 hits. Once you find access to tier 3 items, it becomes manageable. Now I want to try the dlc. How was it?

Are reavers decent on Nightmare mode?

Prepare yourself to get fucked up, especially in the beginning.

Ralemont

not me

You're fine. Every party needs a sword and board warrior anyway. Just make sure at least one of your party members is a mage and grab barrier with them asap.

As for leveling up, make sure to turn in your creature research items (the yellow items you get from mobs when you kill them) for some good EXP. Quests and collections give EXP as well, and main story missions give a lot.

I asked because I kept getting my ass handed to me on those demon on the swamps. I'm on the last bit to where there are two Nightmares you have to kill.

It hurts
Terrors are absolute bullshit. I skipped that mission entirely because of the terrors and the poisoned archers. I didn't use Iron Bull because two handers will basically die in the first few seconds of a fight. So I'm not so sure about being a reaver. Why don't you switch to sword and shield? You'll save yourself from frustration.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The last damned Assassin Weapon just won't show up. The dwarf assassin that should spawn next to Crestwood's Astrarium is simply never there, and I've been killing that pos Carta Assassin in Valamar for hours without a drop.

Does anyone have any tips?

I freaking hate Western RPGs.

My tip is objectively terrible, but it would be to not get involved in such tomfoolery in the first place. As in, I have 120 hours on my file and I wasn't even aware that hunting for specific weapons is a thing. I'm blissfully ignorant!

I don't know, crafting seems ridiculously OP, so I never looked this kind of stuff up at all. I started giving weapons Squaresoft-inspired legendary names only to soon realize I was jumping the gun considerably because there were suddenly more powerful weapons to be made. Again and again. I'm not a fan of having only 3 "Tiers" (owed entirely to my never investigating beneath the surface of customization systems in RPGs, so all I keep thinking is, "wow, didn't DAO have like ten?") but geez, I've built an unstoppable private army decked out in unstoppable gear without once delving into the darkness that is RNG mechanics.

stn

Beat it finally after 40 hours. A few questions.

1. I want to do a nightmare run. What are the essentials I need to know? Anything to avoid?

2. I forgot some of the story elements. Can someone please explain the ending
involving Solas and Flemeth
?

3. Is there any amazing loot I can get? I've been wearing the same armor and wielding the same weapon for almost the whole game.

diaspora

?

Flemeth is the vessel of elven god Mythal, which I assume is a spirit based on the nature of possession as well as what we learn in Hakkon. Solas is an immortal elf from ancient pre-Tevinter times, also known as the elven god Fen'Harel. When Solas woke from his long sleep he saw how fucked the elves were but he himself was weak, so he gave the elven orb to Corypheus to unlock its power since he couldn't do it himself. The end is him taking in the essence of Mythal from Flemeth, and depending on your playthrough of DAO the soul/spirit of Urthemiel potentially as well.

Ralemont

not me
My tip is objectively terrible, but it would be to not get involved in such tomfoolery in the first place. As in, I have 120 hours on my file and I wasn't even aware that hunting for specific weapons is a thing. I'm blissfully ignorant!.

He's talking about items for the assassin spec quest.

Bessy67

Beat it finally after 40 hours. A few questions.

1. I want to do a nightmare run. What are the essentials I need to know? Anything to avoid?

?

3. Is there any amazing loot I can get? I've been wearing the same armor and wielding the same weapon for almost the whole game.

For Nightmare I've found a sword and board warrior, 2 mages and a bow and arrow rogue works well for me. It's tough in the beginning but gets easier as you level up. As for amazing loot there are some interesting items out there, but to be honest crafting is where your best weapons and armor will come from. You can find a lot of the best schematics in the Hissing Wastes.

Flemeth is the vessel of elven god Mythal, which I assume is a spirit based on the nature of possession as well as what we learn in Hakkon. Solas is an immortal elf from ancient pre-Tevinter times, also known as the elven god Fen'Harel. When Solas woke from his long sleep he saw how fucked the elves were but he himself was weak, so he gave the elven orb to Corypheus to unlock its power since he couldn't do it himself. The end is him taking in the essence of Mythal from Flemeth, and depending on your playthrough of DAO the soul/spirit of Urthemiel potentially as well.
Wait a minute, who is Urthemiel?

Tevinter Old God. Corrupted by The Architect to be an Archdemon causing the 5th blight in DAO/ Awakening.
Interesting. So why is
Flemeth capable of holding these powerful life force. Also, if So las is Fen'Harel, why is his body physical but not Mythal who is also an elven god?

diaspora

Interesting. So why is
Flemeth capable of holding these powerful life force. Also, if So las is Fen'Harel, why is his body physical but not Mythal who is also an elven god?

It's not really clear if
Solas himself is an elder god or if he's housing a spirit in him like Flemeth/Mythal. Solas however is old. As old as the original elven empire (which incidentally is basically an elven version of tevinter slaves and all) so it is possible for him to be a "god" unto himself. Solas however doesn't believe in gods, he believes in people powerful enough for the rest of the populace to consider them gods. Also, Fen'Harel was never explicitly a part of the Elven God pantheon exclusively, but rather he saddled himself between the Elven god pantheon AND their enemies the Forgotten Ones. He was considered a member of both. It's possible they were simply two warring factions of powerful spirits- Mythal the spirit of protection/maternity leading one side with ancient evil spirits (the Forgotten Ones) on the other. Or even alternatively (as per Jaws of Hakkon codexes) they were simply warring factions vying for power, and the Pantheon held dominance.

As for your question about Flemeth herself... her and Mythal's spirits are "fused" sortof; like Justice and Anders in DA2. She's not immortal but she keeps on living by possessing the (willing) bodies of her daughters. They're basically a lineage of willing-to-be-possessed-by-Mythal mages, and to house a spirit, TBH that's all it seems like it really takes.

edit: There are a lot of outstanding questions about the nature of the Elven Pantheon, the Forgotten Ones, the Void, and the Blight/Taint. Jaws of Hakkon shed some light on this while at the same time raising more questions. I suspect future story-based DLC as well as future games- DA4/beyond will dive deeper into this. Especially with the threat of
Warden civil war (mages and templars fleeing the mage-templar war joined the wardens), blight, and resurrection of the griffons.

It's not really clear if
Solas himself is an elder god or if he's housing a spirit in him like Flemeth/Mythal. Solas however is old. As old as the original elven empire (which incidentally is basically an elven version of tevinter slaves and all) so it is possible for him to be a "god" unto himself. Solas however doesn't believe in gods, he believes in people powerful enough for the rest of the populace to consider them gods. Also, Fen'Harel was never explicitly a part of the Elven God pantheon exclusively, but rather he saddled himself between the Elven god pantheon AND their enemies the Forgotten Ones. He was considered a member of both. It's possible they were simply two warring factions of powerful spirits- Mythal the spirit of protection/maternity leading one side with ancient evil spirits (the Forgotten Ones) on the other. Or even alternatively (as per Jaws of Hakkon codexes) they were simply warring factions vying for power, and the Pantheon held dominance.

As for your question about Flemeth herself... her and Mythal's spirits are "fused" sortof; like Justice and Anders in DA2. She's not immortal but she keeps on living by possessing the (willing) bodies of her daughters. They're basically a lineage of willing-to-be-possessed-by-Mythal mages, and to house a spirit, TBH that's all it seems like it really takes.

edit: There are a lot of outstanding questions about the nature of the Elven Pantheon, the Forgotten Ones, the Void, and the Blight/Taint. Jaws of Hakkon shed some light on this while at the same time raising more questions. I suspect future story-based DLC as well as future games- DA4/beyond will dive deeper into this. Especially with the threat of
Warden civil war (mages and templars fleeing the mage-templar war joined the wardens), blight, and resurrection of the griffons.
Some juicy lore is contained here. Are the Forgotten Ones
also elves as well or just spirits as you said? I feel like the chantry and all major religions tie back to the elves since many lore tidbits lead back to or involves elves. Except perhaps the Qun which may actually be the true one lol.

Lucreto

Looks like the Black Emporium update is here (2.69GB on PS4).

Just noticed it as well. Downloading now.

Update: must be just a patch no Black Emporium yet.:(

Checked my new game and my end game save files nothing on the map, on the war table or the creepy book room.

diaspora

Some juicy lore is contained here. Are the Forgotten Ones
also elves as well or just spirits as you said? I feel like the chantry and all major religions tie back to the elves since many lore tidbits lead back to or involves elves. Except perhaps the Qun which may actually be the true one lol.
Nobody knows what the Forgotten Ones are anymore. I think they were ancient spirits like Ishmael, but it's not clear yet.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
"Fix for Dragon's Bane trophy..."

Lies! Mine still didn't pop, even after re-killing the 10th dragon in an earlier save.

:(

Lagamorph

So the game downloaded a 1.9GB or so patch today, which I assume is the new free DLC. However now whenever I launch the game I'm getting the message "The Dragon Age: Inquisition - Destruction Multiplayer Expansion is out of date and will be disabled. To access this DLC, you must download its latest version", however I see no option to do any such thin in Origin.

I have installed a Mod, which I believe does something to some of the game files. Do I need to undo something there? Or need to re-download/re-install something? The mod I installed was just some loot modifier.

Left my nightmare playthrough halfway finished - think I might pick it back up tonight. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I still know what I'm doing. Hardest part will be remembering who I'm friends and enemies with, and how hardened I've made Leliana.

Goddamn. Too badass 4 me. You know, I sometimes wonder if everyone does the same weak ass diplomatic/"keep 95% of people happy" approach that I do because it seems so "right". I'm glad there's players like you that prove otherwise. And I'm seriously saying that, not sarcasm.

Personally at the beginning of a playthrough I try and pick one or two primary friends and at least one primary enemy on my team - I never try to impress everyone unless that's a part of the character I'm playing. People miss out on a lot of great interaction when they just befriend people all the time.

Bessy67

Both the Black Emporium (183.67MB) and Dragonslayer (3.85GB) DLC packs are up in the Xbox marketplace. Downloading now.

Bessy67

Holy shit the new characters take a ton of materials to craft. I thought I'd been playing a bunch (I'm level 310 in MP) and I still don't have enough stuff for 2 of the 3 characters. 47 of one type of cloth for the Virtuoso? Yikes.

Edit: Just checked the store and they do give you one of the 3 for free, but still...

Edit 2: You can now craft items that allow you to respec your characters. That's pretty nice.

Edit 3: Just finished a match with the Avvar. I obviously was only level one so I'm not completely sure how he'll play, but from that one match and looking at his skill tree he seems to be similar to the katari but with elemental attacks. I also got no exp from the match so it's probably not all working yet. Maybe the material costs are just placeholders.

Edit 4: The new Ferelden MP level is pretty fun. There's a dragon flying around the whole match breathing fire/ice/lightning on you.

Jumped backed into Inquisition again tonight. Thats a hard game to jump back into after 4 months and a wticher game in the gap. Getting my fantasy politics all confused. At least everyone being racist against elves is a constant.

Did the Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts quest. Super fun.

On a slightly related note they really needed to add different outfits for walking around skyhold. My lady Inquisitor looks like she is wearing panamas. The outfit you get for that mission was sweet. My lady inquisitor looked baller.

Also was that DLC any good? I guess its hitting PS4 soon since a patch dropped adding the trophies.

Have they ever added the thing to change your appearance yet? I wouldn't mind tinkering with my hair.

Ralemont

not me
Also was that DLC any good? I guess its hitting PS4 soon since a patch dropped adding the trophies.

From what I've heard (also PS4 here) it's like a really good zone but with better questing and more dialogue/story content. Also a lot of difficult fights which is more than welcome.

Personally that doesn't sound worth $15 to me, but I'll definitely pick it up on the first sale.

Have they ever added the thing to change your appearance yet? I wouldn't mind tinkering with my hair.

Comes out today/tomorrow! (Tuesday)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Hey Ralemont, I've been meaning to ask for a while. Are you, by chance, CronoDragoon on BSN? I noticed you both have the same great Kid avatar. If so, nice to see you around here.

Anyway, seconding what you said (whether you're CronoDragoon or not!) re: Jaws of Hakkon. It sounds like a better version of what some of Inquisition's vanilla zones are, but $15's steep.

Lucreto

So I have to download the Black Emporium from the store?

Looks like I have to wait until Wednesday for the store to update.

Tsukumo

Just got back into the game and to the multiplayer. I keep getting disconnects even after the patch and it takes years to find people to play with. Is this normal?

Orca

Just got back into the game and to the multiplayer. I keep getting disconnects even after the patch and it takes years to find people to play with. Is this normal?

Servers had some issues earlier, but were ok just now. Taking a while to find someone to play with is likely down to not many having the patch yet.

finley83

Banned
Have there been any performance increases on PC with this patch? I gave up after getting constant microstutter (even at a locked 30fps) on my 970, it was unbelievably distracting for me.

Yeul

Have there been any performance increases on PC with this patch? I gave up after getting constant microstutter (even at a locked 30fps) on my 970, it was unbelievably distracting for me.

None that I really have noticed in terms of what you're asking. I was in the beta for Patch 7 and the focus was mostly on multiplayer this time around. I know what you mean though, I keep getting dips from 60 to 45 fps in certain areas on my i7-4790k and 970 which is really annoying considering how I can get a steady 60 on GTAV with everything set to ultra. Fingers crossed that patch 8 resolves more of these issues.

finley83

Banned
None that I really have noticed in terms of what you're asking. I was in the beta for Patch 7 and the focus was mostly on multiplayer this time around. I know what you mean though, I keep getting dips from 60 to 45 fps in certain areas on my i7-4790k and 970 which is really annoying considering how I can get a steady 60 on GTAV with everything set to ultra. Fingers crossed that patch 8 resolves more of these issues.

Thanks, relieved that it's not just my system! Although can't take any pleasure in knowing you have the same issue :(

Top Bottom