• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

diaspora

I'd definitely pay $15 for that. Though it would certainly make Jaws of Hakkon seem overpriced by comparison.

Bioware seems to be relatively sensitive to feedback, if they got the message that people felt that JoH wasn't substantive enough it'd stand to reason they'd try to price what I'm assuming may be Wolf Hunt more appropriately.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Bioware seems to be relatively sensitive to feedback, if they got the message that people felt that JoH wasn't substantive enough it'd stand to reason they'd try to price what I'm assuming may be Wolf Hunt more appropriately.
I would say they're the most sensitive to sales. If DLC isn't selling, they cancel it. At least that's what we saw from DA2.

I want a new game with creative and interesting things to do. After watching that MGSV demo, I feel like that game will have just the right amount of stuff per the size of the maps.

ColdRose

I always thought the ending made it pretty clear we'd have to kill him at some point, or at least try. Last time he was left to his own devices a fucking mountain exploded and a hole into another dimension got ripped open.

Edit: Not to make this weird, but if the story is what I think it is, and if "areas" means multiple maps and locals, the survey may have made me diamonds.

Yeah I know, would still be a sad moment. Not expecting a happy ending there, but would be kind of nice given my history with Bio romances, (dumped by Alistair, killed Anders, Thane dead, my protags all get put through the emotional mill!) I'm not sure we'd succeed in killing him, seems like Bio is maybe setting him up to be the next Flemeth sort of character (maybe Kate Mulgrew was getting a bit pricey...). Though, Patrick Weekes does have a history of showing that he cares about player choices and agency (possible to keep Mordin alive in ME3 but only in particular scenarios, possibility of peace between Quarians and Geth but only if certain things were achieved beforehand), so I don't think a happy-ish ending is entirely out of the question there.

I guess what concerns me more is the phrase 'great evil' - I really hope this doesn't refer to him. Patrick Weekes did a very good job, I think, of making him an ambiguous and even sympathetic character, and definitely not evil. It would be a real shame if he were reduced to moustache-twirling villain.

If there's as much story content in this as there should be given its apparent scope, then it's very good value, along the lines of Citadel even. Qunari invasion and possible wolf hunt are both big ideas, I hope Bioware does them justice. I worry that a ten quid dlc isn't enough for that. Seems like it would take something a fair bit more sizeable.

With a Qunari storyline, I wonder if we'd see Sten from DAO? Also, perhaps some involvement from Isabela, given her connection to the Qunari in DA2, and the fact that Bio has already made her character model.

Edit: also I'm curious, what do you think it is?

diaspora

Yeah I know, would still be a sad moment. Not expecting a happy ending there, but would be kind of nice given my history with Bio romances, (dumped by Alistair, killed Anders, Thane dead, my protags all get put through the emotional mill!) I'm not sure we'd succeed in killing him, seems like Bio is maybe setting him up to be the next Flemeth sort of character (maybe Kate Mulgrew was getting a bit pricey...). Though, Patrick Weekes does have a history of showing that he cares about player choices and agency (possible to keep Mordin alive in ME3 but only in particular scenarios, possibility of peace between Quarians and Geth but only if certain things were achieved beforehand), so I don't think a happy-ish ending is entirely out of the question there.

I think it's less about him taking Flemeth's place now than it is about him trying to further what appears to be his plan to restore elven gods/ glory- at the expense of everyone else. He might have a way out of this alive, but I doubt as an ally.

I guess what concerns me more is the phrase 'great evil' - I really hope this doesn't refer to him. Patrick Weekes did a very good job, I think, of making him an ambiguous and even sympathetic character, and definitely not evil. It would be a real shame if he were reduced to moustache-twirling villain.
I don't think he's going to be evil per say, just wrong. Like the Architect.

If there's as much story content in this as there should be given its apparent scope, then it's very good value, along the lines of Citadel even. Qunari invasion and possible wolf hunt are both big ideas, I hope Bioware does them justice. I worry that a ten quid dlc isn't enough for that. Seems like it would take something a fair bit more sizeable.
Citadel was fucking aces, Awakenings was great too and probably closer to this. Not as much due to size or scope but in how it will add to the story and lore.
With a Qunari storyline, I wonder if we'd see Sten from DAO? Also, perhaps some involvement from Isabela, given her connection to the Qunari in DA2, and the fact that Bio has already made her character model.

Edit: also I'm curious, what do you think it is?
DAO Sten may be possible if recruited in DAO.

Edit: Wait, wait, nevermind. No cause for alarm. I'm just stupid. I totally forgot The Hissing Wastes was a place that exists in this game. I popped my head in there for 5 seconds on this playthrough and haven't explored it yet. I'm guessing the rest of them are there.

So when are we expecting this DLC?

I'm looking to jump back in and play both DLC's around the time that they announce the second one. Hopefully we'll know a release date so I can play them back to back.

I really did love Inquisition. I've heard mixed things about the DLC but more high level content sounds awesome.

ColdRose

So when are we expecting this DLC?

I'm looking to jump back in and play both DLC's around the time that they announce the second one. Hopefully we'll know a release date so I can play them back to back.

I really did love Inquisition. I've heard mixed things about the DLC but more high level content sounds awesome.

Don't know. Also don't know if it is the next one or the one after (a Deep Roads/Darkspawn dlc was hinted at a while back, and this doesn't seem to be that).

I liked Jaws of Hakkon fwiw. Lovely looking area, with a regional narrative around the strength of Crestwood's I think (which was the strongest area story in the base game imo) and some lovely lore to find. Fights are definitely harder too!

Don't know. Also don't know if it is the next one or the one after (a Deep Roads/Darkspawn dlc was hinted at a while back, and this doesn't seem to be that).

I liked Jaws of Hakkon fwiw. Lovely looking area, with a regional narrative around the strength of Crestwood's I think (which was the strongest area story in the base game imo) and some lovely lore to find. Fights are definitely harder too!

What level is the content? I beat all of the dragons so my character is high level, hopefully itll still be challenging.

Are we expecting more than two DLC's!? I'm going to see if the first one goes on sale between now and the next one, I'd definitely buy it if so.

Melchiah

What level is the content? I beat all of the dragons so my character is high level, hopefully itll still be challenging.

Are we expecting more than two DLC's!? I'm going to see if the first one goes on sale between now and the next one, I'd definitely buy it if so.

I was at level 25-26, and some of the rifts,
a frost giant
, and a boss were pretty challenging. I don't think I would have beaten the last one without my Knight Enchanter inquisitor.

I was at level 25-26, and some of the rifts,
a frost giant
, and a boss were pretty challenging. I don't think I would have beaten the last one without my Knight Enchanter inquisitor.

I'm a little lower than that level wise, but that sounds awesome.

I'm also a Knight Enchanter so I shouldn't have huge problems.

Melchiah

I'm a little lower than that level wise, but that sounds awesome.

I'm also a Knight Enchanter so I shouldn't have huge problems.

The boss was challenging. The rest of my team was dead, and I was out of potions with only a sliver of health left. The DLC area was interesting, with lots of huge hills, but they also made traversal by foot a bit annoying at times.

The boss was challenging. The rest of my team was dead, and I was out of potions with only a sliver of health left. The DLC area was interesting, with lots of huge hills, but they also made traversal by foot a bit annoying at times.

That pleases me, I've heard some negative stuff but I'm sure it is all dependent on expectations.

Hopefully, just hopefully we'll hear about future content soon so I can jump in! It may have been my GOTY last year...

Melchiah

That pleases me, I've heard some negative stuff but I'm sure it is all dependent on expectations.

Hopefully, just hopefully we'll hear about future content soon so I can jump in! It may have been my GOTY last year...

I would have probably liked it more, if I could have played it when it was originally released, but due to timed exclusivity I played it after Bloodborne. As a result it didn't feel the same as the main game anymore, and the sidequests felt more tiresome than before, eventhough there's no actual difference to them. The main game was on the 3rd place of my last year's GOTY list.

I would have probably liked it more, if I could have played it when it was originally released, but due to timed exclusivity I played it after Bloodborne. As a result it didn't feel the same as the main game anymore, and the sidequests felt more tiresome than before, eventhough there's no actual difference to them. The main game was on the 3rd place of my last year's GOTY list.

I'm in the same boat WRT playing it late so I might feel that way even more.. especially after playing TW3.

Some of the side quests really were terrible, based on what you say that stands::(

Melchiah

I'm in the same boat WRT playing it late so I might feel that way even more.. especially after playing TW3.

Some of the side quests really were terrible, based on what you say that stands::(

There were few exceptions in the sidequests, that differed from the rest, but not many. So, pretty much the same as it was in the main game.

I still haven't had time to start TW3, and I probably postpone it after Arkham Knight as I prefer to finish a game before I start another.

There were few exceptions in the sidequests, that differed from the rest, but not many. So, pretty much the same as it was in the main game.

I still haven't had time to start TW3, and I probably postpone it after Arkham Knight as I prefer to finish a game before I start another.

I watched discussion about it and apparently there's a cool quest with a bear(?)

I also haven't started TW3 - my wording was a little unclear lol. I have it waiting to start.. and by the time I play the DLC I'll have played it.

I'm also probably going to wait for Batman, there's too many games!

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
I sold my Dragon Age copy just last week because it seemed they dropped support. But now they are planning new DLC? what. Gonna wait on a PSN sale to get this game again lol . Platinumed it, and have about 200h worth of gameplay. my GOTY of 2014

Melchiah

I watched discussion about it and apparently there's a cool quest with a bear(?)

I also haven't started TW3 - my wording was a little unclear lol. I have it waiting to start.. and by the time I play the DLC I'll have played it.

I'm also probably going to wait for Batman, there's too many games!

Yeah, that one was one of the better sidequests. There were also a couple of tracking quests, which I liked.

TW3 will probably take me a couple of months, which is why I decided to start it after Batman. The good thing is, that the launch bugs will be gone by then.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I think it's possible any Deep Roads plans may have folded into this one, depending on how well Jaws sold. Just a thought, nothing substantive to back it up of course. I'd certainly rather we have two DLCs en route, but I'm prepping myself just in case.

So what level is good to take down (Jaws of Hakkon spoilers)
the dragon in the DLC content? I beat the boss in the Old Temple at level 23, but the dragon seems to be considerably more difficult.

Lucreto

Any tips of better armour schematics I should use in Jaws of Hakkon dlc?

Played it for the first time today and my party was wiped out very quickly. My tank went from full guard to a sliver of health in one hit. I am level 23 and playing on hard.

Melchiah

So what level is good to take down (Jaws of Hakkon spoilers)
the dragon in the DLC content? I beat the boss in the Old Temple at level 23, but the dragon seems to be considerably more difficult.

I thought the former was
harder due to the cold depleting your health
, whereas the latter was
pretty easy at level 26, compared to dragons in Emprise du Lion.

EDIT: Playing as Knight Enchanter, FYI.

uhgzryk.png

Whut.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I never finished this game and I feel like now I'd be way out of my builds/the gameplay structure and flow, and it'd be annoying to get back in. This is the problem with huge open world games.

Subitai

What is the good way to build up my Mage from the start on Nightmare difficulty? I want to use KE in the future.
Depends on who you have with you. My rule at the beginning of nightmare is to take two warriors that generate a lot of guard on their own so you don't have to worry about keeping barrier up as much as possible, so I go as soon as possible to unlock Blackwall. Also, have whoever your rogue is be able to sleep two targets with knockout powder and full draw. That is more useful for control than freezing characters with a mage. Also, you're probably going to farm a lot of bears early, and they're immune to freezing, but not sleep. Still, you'll need at least one mage casting winter's grasp for a few of those templar mobs that are immune to sleep.

The other option is to make Solas or Vivienne spirit and winter specced for better support so you can do what you want. So they're always spamming barrier on everyone and you can do your thing.

If you want to make the most of KE, get the winter and spirit abilities that give you extra survivability so you can get in close use the KE damage spells when you eventually get them. Also, crafting a staff or armor that builds 3 guard on each hit makes you much more survivable as well. Really, that ability works best with mages given that they attack the fastest. Second best with dagger rogues. Anyway, with any mage build, firemine with chaotic focus is going to do insane damage, but I don't add that until I'm comfortable with my survivability.

In general on nightmare, if you die twice fairly easily at an encounter, move on to something else and then come back when you're a level higher than the mobs in it and everything becomes much more manageable.

Ralemont

not me
Just spitballing about this possible DLC:

There's a lot floating around here: Aaryn Flynn hinting at a Deep Roads DLC, the revelation that the Architect was originally a part of Here Lies the Abyss but cut, the letter in the Western Approach saying the Grey Wardens actually found a fucking sleeping Archdemon but couldn't get to him, the fact that the other ancient Magisters besides Cory and Archie are still unaccounted for, and now this DLC description. So many possibilities, though I hope for the sake of length we end up getting two more DLCs instead of just the one. In the event that they are packaging this as the final DLC, though, I could sort of see a scenario where another ancient Magister resurfaces and attempts to awaken his corresponding Archdemon. This would obviously concern both the Architect and
Solas
. Still, not sure how the Qunari would fit into all this.

Anyway, fun stuff to speculate about.

There's a lot floating around here: Aaryn Flynn hinting at a Deep Roads DLC, the revelation that the Architect was originally a part of Here Lies the Abyss but cut, the letter in the Western Approach saying the Grey Wardens actually found a fucking sleeping Archdemon but couldn't get to him, the fact that the other ancient Magisters besides Cory and Archie are still unaccounted for, and now this DLC description. So many possibilities, though I hope for the sake of length we end up getting two more DLCs instead of just the one. In the event that they are packaging this as the final DLC, though, I could sort of see a scenario where another ancient Magister resurfaces and attempts to awaken his corresponding Archdemon. This would obviously concern both the Architect and
Solas

That always seemed odd to me.

It's a fucking Archdemon.

Who cares about a cave in.

Yeul

Solas

That, and the large number of hints about
Razikale (Archdemon of Mystery)
in JoH.

This DAI DLC news blackout is killer because we only just started getting into some supposed "truths" about the world. I'm just waiting for it all to turn to shit again. I had this conversation with one of my friends about all of this old mysterious magic is looming around in this world and what the implications are and honestly something's gotta give at some point. The people of Thedas don't really have much agency because they are living under the thumb of all of this old power. The Blights/Archdemons/Fade/Ancient Elven Gods/Flemeth influencing history with "a nudge and sometimes a shove". The only thing I hope is that they find a way to bring the scale of the "stakes" to a more personal level. Not to say they have done a bad job of it now, but there comes a point where you can only do so much "one-upping" of beings with increasing magical ability and power that it becomes so abstract that you can't feasibly show it. That was the problem with the Reapers. At some point all of their power was just sort of like a lot of talk and plot armor that it took a deus ex machina to defeat them. In terms of DAI even something as cataclysmic as the Breach didn't outstretch its tendrils through most of the game in terms of urgency. Something that is supposedly tearing the world apart and I really didn't feel like it was ancient magic that did this even though it obviously had. As much as I love BioWare, I occasionally feel like they do themselves a disservice in how they structure their reveal pacing. Obviously cliffhangers can be extremely effective, especially in a business sense when trying to keep people hooked for the next installment (I know I am), but after learning with DAI that most of what we knew about Thedas was framed within the victor's context and mostly wrong, it just makes a lot of things feel unsatisfying because the bits and pieces we do get that happen to be true (unless told otherwise, again) happen so few and far between.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Solas

The Qunari will be brought in for two primary purposes, IMO: effective seeding for a major role in DA4's critical path that feeds organically into the fandom's desire for Skyhold to face some sort of siege scenario.

diaspora

Solas

Isn't the Architect a god damn lunatic that started the 5th Blight and and potentially others with his experiments.

Edit: I think your MC along with Avernus (only if you spare him) discover something huge during DA2, maybe it's the Archdemon.

Edit: No wait, he discovers something big about the taint. Incidentally, Darkspawn can be cured of the calling when they drink Warden blood right?

Matush

Hey guys,

I finally was able to put some time into DAI and right from the start I wanted to go for Nightmare run. After some hard times (before reaching Skyhold) I managed to complete my specialization and I chose Knight-enchanter for my Mage.

Can anybody tell me how to respec my characters (and how to continues in the future) on level 12? All of the have their specializations and basically I dont want to have much trouble beating the rest of the game/all dragons on Nightmare? Any help?

You can export character builds through here: http://www.rpg-gaming.com/daisc.html

Thanks

Lucreto

Patch 1.09 for PS4.

Fixed a crash when playing while installing relating to Flames of the Inquisition Items.
Fixed an issue that caused Multiplayer menu to be reloaded after a quick match failure.
Fixed an issue when using Reset Ability Points with full inventory.
Fixed an issue which could prevent Multiplayer maps from streaming in during high latency matches.
Fixed the text for the Challenge "Relentless Pursuit" to list correct Multiplayer Character.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Any feedback on whether I should pick this up on PS4 or PC? Cost would be the same.

I have the PC hooked up to the big TV and would play via a Dualshock 4, not mouse/keyboard. Any issues with the PC version on a TV? Text size on screen or performance? Is PS4 solid enough?

diaspora

Any feedback on whether I should pick this up on PS4 or PC? Cost would be the same.

I have the PC hooked up to the big TV and would play via a Dualshock 4, not mouse/keyboard. Any issues with the PC version on a TV? Text size on screen or performance? Is PS4 solid enough?
Font is adjustable iirc. I prefer the PC version either way, more flexible with available options.

Chitown B

haven't played the 1st DLC because I got sidetracked - figured I'd wait for more since I have the season pass. Haven't heard a peep since March...

Noctix

So I just recently finished Witcher 3 and am craving for more open world action rpg. How is Dragon Age Inquisition. I saw a bunch of reviews that were fairly positive but then quite a few people in gaf were quite against it. How is the combat etc?

jonjonaug

So I just recently finished Witcher 3 and am craving for more open world action rpg. How is Dragon Age Inquisition. I saw a bunch of reviews that were fairly positive but then quite a few people in gaf were quite against it. How is the combat etc?

The combat's good if you play on Nightmare mode but pretty braindead otherwise.

There's a lot of filler questing but outside of the shard hunts you can pretty much ignore all of it with no loss. Every area has at least a couple of really interesting things going for it. The plot is...okay-ish? It's not great but it works well enough for what it is. The characters are really good. Honestly it's my favorite modern (ME/Dragon Age and later) Bioware game. It doesn't do anything exceptionally, but it does everything "good" to "great" and doesn't have any glaring flaws like most other Bioware titles. A satisfying way to fill 70 or so hours.

Noctix

The combat's good if you play on Nightmare mode but pretty braindead otherwise.

There's a lot of filler questing but outside of the shard hunts you can pretty much ignore all of it with no loss. Every area has at least a couple of really interesting things going for it. The plot is...okay-ish? It's not great but it works well enough for what it is. The characters are really good. Honestly it's my favorite modern (ME/Dragon Age and later) Bioware game. It doesn't do anything exceptionally, but it does everything "good" to "great" and doesn't have any glaring flaws like most other Bioware titles. A satisfying way to fill 70 or so hours.

Thanks I am gonna go ahead and buy it. Cheers for the help.

ColdRose

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/557639-dragon-age-inquisition-save-importer-ps3xb360-future-dlc-will-be-pcxb1ps4-only/

No more last gen dlc for Inquisition, presumably they wanted features that were too hard to implement on PS3/360, and maybe poor last gen sales of DAI/JoH?

Honestly, while it's not fun for last gen players, I think it's the right decision for the game. I can't help but think that last gen support was the reason why some cool features were cut (more stuff with the Keeps, for example) and possibly even why we ended up with more fetch quests etc than cinematic ones (memory issues, maybe?). DAI needs to go out with a bang to ensure the continuation of the franchise - meaty, ambitious story content with improved gameplay and better ambient atmosphere.

Wearing my 'wishful thinking' hat here, but I'd love to see an enhanced edition of DAI with improved cinematics and some of those cut features put back in. I know it won't happen, but it would be nice.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/557639-dragon-age-inquisition-save-importer-ps3xb360-future-dlc-will-be-pcxb1ps4-only/

No more last gen dlc for Inquisition, presumably they wanted features that were too hard to implement on PS3/360, and maybe poor last gen sales of DAI/JoH?

Honestly, while it's not fun for last gen players, I think it's the right decision for the game. I can't help but think that last gen support was the reason why some cool features were cut (more stuff with the Keeps, for example) and possibly even why we ended up with more fetch quests etc than cinematic ones (memory issues, maybe?). DAI needs to go out with a bang to ensure the continuation of the franchise - meaty, ambitious story content with improved gameplay and better ambient atmosphere.

Wearing my 'wishful thinking' hat here, but I'd love to see an enhanced edition of DAI with improved cinematics and some of those cut features put back in. I know it won't happen, but it would be nice.

It's going to take them 3-4 more years to make and release Dragon Age 4, unless they wanna shit out another premature one like DA2 with a 24 months (including pre-production).

I want a lot of story based DLC that extends beyond the ending we got in DAI.

It's really sad that Witcher 3 has its DLC expansions taking place before the ending of the main quest. That is a waste.

in the case of DAI I want to know more about what happened after the credits - I'll happily fork down 50-60 dollars if they can make a 20-30 hour expansion(s) heavy on story.

Melchiah

Hopefully that means the next DLC will take better advantage of the current gen hardware, and offer more meaningful quests.

The keeps were too underutilized, they merely offered new fetch quests and war table missions, and it was a letdown you didn't get to
defend any of them or the Skyhold.

ColdRose

Yep, agreed with both of you. I'd happily lay down my money for a big story heavy and feature rich expansion. I don't think it's likely, sadly. It seems as though bite-sized is more cost effective. Though that leaked survey from the last page did mention a new 'game mode' - I wonder if that could be the re-introduction of DAO style tactics? It could be, if last-gen limitations had anything to do with it not being implemented ...

But I am optimistic that concentrating on current gen will mean higher quality dlc - large scale battles, busier towns and more active NPCs, more sophisticated quests etc.

diaspora

It's going to take them 3-4 more years to make and release Dragon Age 4, unless they wanna shit out another premature one like DA2 with a 24 months (including pre-production).

I want a lot of story based DLC that extends beyond the ending we got in DAI.

It's really sad that Witcher 3 has its DLC expansions taking place before the ending of the main quest. That is a waste.

in the case of DAI I want to know more about what happened after the credits - I'll happily fork down 50-60 dollars if they can make a 20-30 hour expansion(s) heavy on story.
Inquisition is AFAIK getting post story DLC, both Shinobi's survey screencap and the files in the latest patch show this.

diaspora

was there a season pass for 360/PS3? I assume not otherwise they're going to have trouble....
Iirc, no.

Incidentally you folks know what would be an interesting dynamic with the Qunari's place in the DLC? Dworkin having successfully developed an explosive powder in DA2 after his research in Awakenings and being driven to hiding after his discovery. The Wardens have explosive powder.

Edit: Finding a
sleeping Archdemon would be pretty easy for the Wardens if they have access to Dworkin's black powder as per DA2 to blow through the Deep Roads.

Top Bottom