• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Ralemont

not me
I'm not ashamed to admit I followed someone's guidelines on Reddit, with some tweaks here and there, to make her. Credit goes to the Reddit user first and foremost. I'm awful at CCs, I just don't have the patience. But yes, she's lovely and I'm stoked. Named her Aeryn, after the badass Farscape heroine. Gonna run an archer/tempest. It's gonna be good.

Tempest is so good. I bitch sometimes about the combat but I really love how Third Person plays in this game. 2H Warrior was fun for the first time in the series and DW Tempest was just balls-to-the-wall insane.

It probably didn't help that I was apparently kicked from the game afterward, too. Lovely people.

That's a bummer, man. My friend (also fairly new to MP) and I'll be playing tonight so if you want to grab a beer I can play a few games with you to see if you enjoy it without the elitists.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Tempest is so good. I bitch sometimes about the combat but I really love how Third Person plays in this game. 2H Warrior was fun for the first time in the series and DW Tempest was just balls-to-the-wall insane.

My first file was a SS Warrior and I had a lot of fun with him, although after 100 hours you can bet I was controlling companions more often than not. Lots of sudden "oh, this is really fun too... possibly twice as fun, even" moments abound. One of the things I found I particularly enjoyed was controlling Sera, who had an all-over-the-place rough version of the build I'm gonna shoot for with Aeryn. I'm so excited.

That's a bummer, man. My friend (also fairly new to MP) and I'll be playing tonight so if you want to grab a beer I can play a few games with you to see if you enjoy it without the elitists.

Huh, I might just take you up on that if I'm home. Not sure if I will be, but if I am, and my PS+ trial is still active, I'll shoot you a message on PSN.

Fair warning though: I'm really bad! You'll be like, "wow!"

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Lol, if you stay with the group instead of running off by yourself to get slaughtered you're already better than 1/2 the people I play with.

Oh believe me, I'll probably stick close to y'all like glue! Terrifying creatures lurk in those dungeons, you know! I discovered that just yesterday when a Red Templar Commander lunged toward my poor character with criminal intent.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Finally got around to complete the story. ( before the witcher 3 ) Solas sucks.... that is all.
What?! He's one of my favorite characters, right next to Varric and
Morrigan.
I almost alway's have him in my party. Some really great banter dialogue. And Rift Mage both fun and powerfull.
And he's so photogenic.

Just finished What Pride Had Wrought. Might just be able to do the same and finish Inquisition before The Wild Hunt arrives. Any idea how long the main-story lasts from here? It feels pretty close to the end. (and, well, the current main-quests called The Final Piece, so...)

Ralemont

not me
Just finished What Pride Had Wrought. Might just be able to do the same and finish Inquisition before The Wild Hunt arrives. Any idea how long the main-story lasts from here? It feels pretty close to the end. (and, well, the current main-quests called The Final Piece, so...)

The Final Piece is a relatively short mission that preps you for the final mission (which is itself short). You're probably an hour or two mission-wise from the end.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The Final Piece is a relatively short mission that preps you for the final mission (which is itself short). You're probably an hour or two mission-wise from the end.
Thanks. I'll probably finish the story tonigh, then. Just in time. :)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So, was too busy with work and Hinterlands to wind up hopping into multiplayer, whoops. Thanks for the offer anyway, Ralemont. I'll take you up on it eventually, for sure.

Solas is wonderful btw.

Bessy67

Nice! Just took down a dragon on threatening in a PUG. 2 party members died early on in the fight and me (a level 15 Legionaire) and a level 19 virtouso were able to (eventually) take down the dragon. It didn't help that we were fighting a storm dragon and the virtuoso had a lightning staff. Man that took a long time to whittle down his health...

Oh, and no good loot from it :(

Maledict

I killed a dragon this evening and got one piece of paragons lustre from it... :-(

Question - why do low level epic items exist? Since starting playing the multiplayer again, I have finally found a few purple items, and they have all been garbage that are worse than my white quality level 22/23 items. Am I missing something or are these items just stupid and pointless?

Can they roll at much higher level, or are they fixed at 'worthless' level?

Bessy67

I killed a dragon this evening and got one piece of paragons lustre from it... :-(

Question - why do low level epic items exist? Since starting playing the multiplayer again, I have finally found a few purple items, and they have all been garbage that are worse than my white quality level 22/23 items. Am I missing something or are these items just stupid and pointless?

Can they roll at much higher level, or are they fixed at 'worthless' level?
Pretty sure the purple weapons have a fixed level, so weapons like the level 10 Gift of the Mountain-Father will always suck. I finally got a high level purple the other day and I was so excited, but then I noticed that my level 21 Siege's End greataxe has Berserk :'(

Xevren

I hate how the loot is so much in multiplayer. Only purples I have ever got are level 11 and it fucking sucks. I've killed so many dragons on perilous the last couple days and have yet to see a dragon weapon. Honestly feel the loot is may be some of the worst around, it's just way too difficult to get something decent. I hope they just do manifests like in ME3 on any multi going forward.

Bessy67

I hate how the loot is so much in multiplayer. Only purples I have ever got are level 11 and it fucking sucks. I've killed so many dragons on perilous the last couple days and have yet to see a dragon weapon. Honestly feel the loot is may be some of the worst around, it's just way too difficult to get something decent. I hope they just do manifests like in ME3 on any multi going forward.
Yeah, loot is terrible in Dragon Age Inquisition. Not sure why they didn't do something similar to Mass Effect 3 where the weapon's level progresses as you get more of that weapon in the packs.

Maledict

The weapons aren't really different enough for that to work.

It's a fundamental flaw in the game to be honest.

I'm happy to admit I dropped money on ME3 multiplayer. Well over the cost of the game in the end - because everytime I opened a pack, even if it wasn't something I wanted, it was guaranteed a rare and so increased my chances of getting something better next time around.

In Dragon age the chests are terrible - you would be insane to spend real money on them, because most of the time all you are getting is basic crafting ingredients.

Bessy67

The weapons aren't really different enough for that to work.
I think it would have been neat if they had like 5-10 of each weapon that at level one were all pretty much exactly the same (except their cosmetic appearance) but as you found more of them in chests to level them up they took on different characteristics. Like there could have been a templar mace that at level 1 is just base damage but at level 2 it gives a bonus to magic defense, at level 3 it gives a bonus to barrier damage, etc.

I think it would have been neat if they had like 5-10 of each weapon that at level one were all pretty much exactly the same (except their cosmetic appearance) but as you found more of them in chests to level them up they took on different characteristics. Like there could have been a templar mace that at level 1 is just base damage but at level 2 it gives a bonus to magic defense, at level 3 it gives a bonus to barrier damage, etc.

Still pretty limited, honestly. DA multi is just never going to match ME multi, it's just too limited in terms of options in combat.

Xevren

I'm hoping now that they seem to be really doing something what with the balance changes that maybe we'll start seeing things getting better soon. I still find the multiplayer a lot of fun, I'm just getting super jealous of people getting all this dope shit and I'm rocking a grey weapon :(

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Playing on Hard in my second file has been a real game-changer and I love it. Maybe I'm just more attracted to playing an archer or something, but I think the uptick in difficulty has gone a long way toward my increased satisfaction with the combat as well. Fighting's never the big draw to me with most of the games I play, and BioWare games are certainly no exception, but I'm starting to feel a closer connection to the fighting in Inquisition now that everything isn't dropping in five seconds flat.

I've picked up potions and such that I never even found in my first file. Rock Armor and Anvitan Fire... somehow I missed them, and without any challenge in the game, I never even noticed. I've given my Warriors the Rock Armor and my rogues (including Lavellan) the Antivan Fire, and let me tell you, dropping flaming grenades down upon the opposition from ten meters overhead has been really, really exciting. "Questing" through the early open-region zones has been a lot more enjoyable now that I'm not entirely on autopilot. I challenged the Level 12 Rifts with a party around 8-9, and through a bit of blood, sweat, and tears, I pulled it off. I'm sure to many of you that's like bragging about turning the game on, but to me, personally, it was satisfying as hell.

Never been one to seek out the highest difficulty settings (although I did have a blast with ME2 and ME3 on Insanity once) but I think my third Inquisitor, should I ever make him/her, shall be on Nightmare.

Yeul

Playing on Hard in my second file has been a real game-changer and I love it. Maybe I'm just more attracted to playing an archer or something, but I think the uptick in difficulty has gone a long way toward my increased satisfaction with the combat as well. Fighting's never the big draw to me with most of the games I play, and BioWare games are certainly no exception, but I'm starting to feel a closer connection to the fighting in Inquisition now that everything isn't dropping in five seconds flat.

I've picked up potions and such that I never even found in my first file. Rock Armor and Anvitan Fire... somehow I missed them, and without any challenge in the game, I never even noticed. I've given my Warriors the Rock Armor and my rogues (including Lavellan) the Antivan Fire, and let me tell you, dropping flaming grenades down upon the opposition from ten meters overhead has been really, really exciting. "Questing" through the early open-region zones has been a lot more enjoyable now that I'm not entirely on autopilot. I challenged the Level 12 Rifts with a party around 8-9, and through a bit of blood, sweat, and tears, I pulled it off. I'm sure to many of you that's like bragging about turning the game on, but to me, personally, it was satisfying as hell.

Never been one to seek out the highest difficulty settings (although I did have a blast with ME2 and ME3 on Insanity once) but I think my third Inquisitor, should I ever make him/her, shall be on Nightmare.

Yeah I'm waiting to do my Nightmare run once all of the DLC is released so I can just go through the entire thing properly haha. For now I'll just be continuing to play on my current female Lavellan mage 145 hr. file as DLC releases then I can just restart her and go start to finish. I'm not a trophy hunter or anything, but the Nightmare trophy is the only one I have left to acquire.

Ralemont

not me

Do it! And remember that the prologue fight against the Pride Demon is probably the hardest fight you'll have in the game. Inquisition's difficulty is entirely based around how many active/passive abilities you have. Game gets easier and easier as you go.

Grenades are badass in this game. Healing Mist can be upgraded as an AOE Revive, Pitch Grenade can be upgraded for 25% attack and defense down for any enemies stuck in it (and a stun when you throw the grenade so they can't do anything about it) and we already know how much Jar of Bees and Antivan Fire rule.

diaspora

I just broke 300 hours in this game. 300 hours. And I
sacrifice Hawke
every single time.

edit: Judas is appropriate here.

MQE8Ehw.png

Geido

I'm playing through my second game on nightmare right now, and it does seem to make the game better for some reason. You know which quests are cool and which to skip. That helps.

But it also seems to be my own playing style that was working against me the first time. I was just running to icons on the map, doing an action and running towards the next one. Clicking away the textmessages because there was just to much to do to read everything. At least I thought. Now I'm following a questline from start to finish when I pick it up, so what I'm doing actually means something. And there are some pretty cool quests in there I'm finding out. Crestwood for instance, that's just a great zone.

Only thing missing is the dwarves and more deep roads. That was the best part about origins!.

diaspora

I'm playing through my second game on nightmare right now, and it does seem to make the game better for some reason. You know which quests are cool and which to skip. That helps.

But it also seems to be my own playing style that was working against me the first time. I was just running to icons on the map, doing an action and running towards the next one. Clicking away the textmessages because there was just to much to do to read everything. At least I thought. Now I'm following a questline from start to finish when I pick it up, so what I'm doing actually means something. And there are some pretty cool quests in there I'm finding out. Crestwood for instance, that's just a great zone.

Only thing missing is the dwarves and more deep roads. That was the best part about origins!.

If you drink from the Well
the whispers the Inquisitor hears is a message "Go to him, Dirth" "she speaks the calling"
. So... soon?

edit: Best part about the ending:
"There's more isn't there?" The inquisitor knows this is Solas' fault even without knowing the details.

patchday

Btw question for you DA: I multiplayer fans. I always wondered were the awards based on RNG (aka in chests)? I never could stand how RNG controlled what we got out of the chests in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer so I avoided DA :I's multiplayer altogether

Lyng

Man the party AI is beyond stupid :(. Having to micromanage every move in a long ass fight like
Curypheus dragon
gets tedious real fast. Give me some proper ways to pre programme my team like in Origins and I'm good.

Also the removal of healing spells baffles me.

Ralemont

not me
Btw question for you DA: I multiplayer fans. I always wondered were the awards based on RNG (aka in chests)? I never could stand how RNG controlled what we got out of the chests in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer so I avoided DA :I's multiplayer altogether

Very much RNG. Worse so than mass effect.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Grenades are badass in this game. Healing Mist can be upgraded as an AOE Revive, Pitch Grenade can be upgraded for 25% attack and defense down for any enemies stuck in it (and a stun when you throw the grenade so they can't do anything about it)

Those are both pretty incredible. I'm so glad to be playing on a difficulty now in which I'm more likely to actually notice all this nifty content. Healing Mist sounds especially great. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one, as I don't recall where it's located.

Ralemont

not me
Those are both pretty incredible. I'm so glad to be playing on a difficulty now in which I'm more likely to actually notice all this nifty content. Healing Mist sounds especially great. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one, as I don't recall where it's located.

Some elite spider drops it in the cave below the Crestwood Keep.

Bessy67

The multiplayer chests have been super generous for me lately. I got a greatsword of the dragon (the good purple one), a griffon bow and the purple walking bomb dagger (I forget the name of it) recently. Plus 2 or 3 other purples that were low level.

Xevren

The multiplayer chests have been super generous for me lately. I got a greatsword of the dragon (the good purple one), a griffon bow and the purple walking bomb dagger (I forget the name of it) recently. Plus 2 or 3 other purples that were low level.

Those new class based chests are super good. Though it looks like it was just through the weekend so I'm gonna be sad when they're gone. Think I'm just going to horde my gold for the next type of chests when they do weekends. Normal large chests never give me anything anyway.

Melchiah

The DLC still doesn't seem to be available for the PS4 in Europe. Is it recommended to use pre- or post-playthrough save to play it, and will it affect the main game's ending in any way if you finish it again after playing the DLC?

diaspora

The DLC still doesn't seem to be available for the PS4 in Europe. Is it recommended to use pre- or post-playthrough save to play it, and will it affect the main game's ending in any way if you finish it again after playing the DLC?

Doesn't matter if it's played pre or post game.

Is there any further single player DLC planned for DAI? I kinda want to jump back in and clear everything once all the DLC is released, rather than jumping in and out continuously.

Skii

I've just recently booted up DA:I again and I'm finally enjoying it a bit more. Beforehand, I got stuck doing fetch quests and so on in the Hinterlands and just had no idea how to progress from the area. Finally started to understand what the power points were for and I've managed to leave the Hinterlands for the Storm Coast. I'm enjoying it a lot more there as I'm finally able to roll which adds so much to my character and just managed to beat a Giant in a 10 minute long one on one battle.

Anyway, what I wanted to know was what collectables are worth collecting? Are the shards worth collecting that are revealed by that skull? Is it worth completely the Astrariums? Are there any other general tips you can give to make the experience more engaging?

Chitown B

Got all but the 90 points for "Nightmare" for DA3, and then put it away. I tried to boot back up for the DLC, but I couldn't get back into it.

Now with The Witcher 3 being so much better, I'm not sure I'll ever get back to it. :-\

Ralemont

not me
Anyway, what I wanted to know was what collectables are worth collecting? Are the shards worth collecting that are revealed by that skull? Is it worth completely the Astrariums? Are there any other general tips you can give to make the experience more engaging?

I like doing the Astrariums though with the nonlinearity of zones you'll probably outlevel the rewards. Don't bother with shards.

Is there any further single player DLC planned for DAI? I kinda want to jump back in and clear everything once all the DLC is released, rather than jumping in and out continuously.

There's more coming. My bet is 2 more SP DLCs.

I really love the new area. I kept getting wrecked by spiders and then I realized I had the game set to nightmare difficulty. It's still a good challenge on hard mode. I also got the Black Emporium area and it's pretty good so far.

Maledict

I despair of the multiplayer loot system. I want to enjoy the game, but it's simply so brutally unfun and stupid in the way you get rewards it's not worth playing.

I decided to break my cardinal rule, and use real money to buy two of the new chests that guarantee a rare, and cost a staggering 15000 gold, or 500 plat. I also bought one with gold that I had saved up.

The est item I got out of all three chests was a blue amulet that gives +25 stamina. I.e. I got utterly nothing. Complete waste of money and cash, and actually left me feeling really aggrieved towards the game. I cannot think of any other system like this where you are not guaranteed a least a rare item per pack, nevermind one where even the ultra expensive stuff is going to give you utter garbage most of the time.

How on earth they thought this a good system is beyond me - it's basically killed the multiplayer for me after this weekend. Shame, because I was really enjoying my pure dps bard, but I'm not going to mindlessly grind content without even a shot at a decent item once in a while.

Utterly stupid design from start to finish.

Random question about the tactical view and interrupting rifts - When I set my character to interrupt a rift and they get attacked by an enemy my character goes on the offensive and ignores the rift. Can I change something in the AI behaviors to make sure they try interrupting the rift again?

I started on the hardest difficulty and the first boss fight (pride demon) was excruciating because my inquisitor kept ignoring the rift. I just had to go 3rd person and force them to do it

Ralemont

not me
Random question about the tactical view and interrupting rifts - When I set my character to interrupt a rift and they get attacked by an enemy my character goes on the offensive and ignores the rift. Can I change something in the AI behaviors to make sure they try interrupting the rift again?

I started on the hardest difficulty and the first boss fight (pride demon) was excruciating because my inquisitor kept ignoring the rift. I just had to go 3rd person and force them to do it

Not really. It's best to just use them in 3rd person as you did.

FWIW that is by far the hardest fight you'll have in Nightmare.

Top Bottom