• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

I think I hit that "burnt out" phase playing this game finally. About 61 hours between two characters, so I definitely got my money's worth. Going to blast through the rest of the story missions and my last two companion quests when they become available (though I fear Cole's may be glitched).

Malreyn

DLC:
Does anybody else think that thematically all the DLC now will be set after the events of the game?

Not necessarily if they write it well
and involved the inquistion seeking allies as it continues to grow even after the end

Ralemont

not me
Chantry or herb garden?

You'll need the herb garden for the trophy but if you don't care about that I'd do Chantry for extra gold. You only get 6 plants in the herb garden and each only gives you one herb, not really worth it except for extra rare herbs.

Malreyn

You'll need the herb garden for the trophy but if you don't care about that I'd do Chantry for extra gold. You only get 6 plants in the herb garden and each only gives you one herb, not really worth it except for extra rare herbs.

I did chantry garden but I never figured out how to redeem the "tithes" I was supposed to get, unless it went straight into my inventory without me knowing...

aborath

Neo Member
Who are you guys romancing as female inquisitors?

My mage is romancing Sera. From initially being a put-off, she's become my favorite NPC. Her comments are both funny and are a nice send-up of classic RPG stodginess. Having Sera in your party is a bit like having a second, wise-cracking player to pal around with.

Neoweee

What trophy requires it?

Xamdou

Is there a specific order I should be doing missions? Currently lvl 7 and finished saving the Chantry lady in the Hinterlands. Also went to the Chantry already and did that part, so what should I do next?

Also any specific lvl I can fight a dragon? I met my first dragon on my way north of the Hinterlands at lvl 2 and wrecked... then saw another dragon on the Storm Coast fighting a giant. The dragon flew away as soon as I approached but the Giant stayed to fight me but he died really fast even though I am low lvl... probably cuz the dragon drained his hp all the way down already?

dralla

Do characters who are not in your party earn XP and level up too? I like my current group but don't wanna leave my other party members behind by not using them

huxley00

Anyone not really romancing at all? None of the characters really grab my interest like Shale, Leliana or Morrigan did in the first game. I think I'm going to go with Cassandra eventually as she is somewhat interesting...but there really isn't one character I'm invested in at all.

Captcha

I forget what is happening in the story because I keep getting sidetracked 100%-ing all these zones.

Also, romanced the Iron Bull. I like the way he calls me boss (◕‿◕✿) .

@dralla: they do.

Ashodin

Is there a specific order I should be doing missions? Currently lvl 7 and finished saving the Chantry lady in the Hinterlands. Also went to the Chantry already and did that part, so what should I do next?

Also any specific lvl I can fight a dragon? I met my first dragon on my way north of the Hinterlands at lvl 2 and wrecked... then saw another dragon on the Storm Coast fighting a giant. The dragon flew away as soon as I approached but the Giant stayed to fight me but he died really fast even though I am low lvl... probably cuz the dragon drained his hp all the way down already?

Do whatever you feel like doing, and I'd recommend doing the missions that are main story when you are around the level for them for maximum enjoyment. So say when a mission is 13-15, once you hit 13, go do it.

Anyone have this glitch where Alistar married Anora even tho I had my Warden marry him? Or at least the Keep website says he was supposed to.

I was kind pissed that had happened. I don't like her. ):<

My mage is romancing Sera. From initially being a put-off, she's become my favorite NPC. Her comments are both funny and are a nice send-up of classic RPG stodginess. Having Sera in your party is a bit like having a second, wise-cracking player to pal around with.

Yep. My lovely lady inquisitor finally bedded Sera this evening. May it be the start of a long and kinky relationship.

I do hope my inquisitor can remain loyal though, and not be lured away from Sera by
Morrigan's
foxy charms.

So does anyone else actually like this cast more than those of Origins and DA2? In the previous games there were always a few characters I was "meh" about or outright disliked, but I really like everyone here, even Sera who annoyed the hell out of me initially.

Who are you guys romancing as female inquisitors?

Blackwall. Much more of an emotional rollercoaster than I expected, but I'm enjoying the ride.
#climbthewall

I did that wolf mission on the farm and after that this non-hostile wolf has been following me all over the farm area. This has never happened to me before.

Final mission spoilers:
If I finish the game, can I keep playing. I have some side quests and some dragons that I haven't beaten yet, but I really want to finish.

MattyG

Banned
So I just came back after nearly 2 weeks. Only remember the basic details of what has happened so far, but I'll get back into it. I'm on "Here Lies the Abyss", so I don't know how much I have left. One question though; is there a "point of no return" in this game? Am I gonna get locked out of a ton of content at some point without realizing it?

Final mission spoilers:
If I finish the game, can I keep playing. I have some side quests and some dragons that I haven't beaten yet, but I really want to finish.

Yes,
but as far as I know all companion quests are canceled. You can keep exploring and killing dragons, though.

Eldren

Is it possible for a romance to be bugged? I've been flirting with Solas at every opportunity, including reloading save files to make sure I get the maximum possible approval, but barely anything is happening and I'm getting worried I've missed the opportunity. I looked at a few guides and apparently you can initiate a relationship by the time you arrive at Skyhold but I'm past that and the closest I've had is a later conversation where he says "I respect you".

Do I have to keep doing story quests in order to unlock more dialogue options? (And yes, I'm playing as a female elf and I made sure to get the magic/fade extra dialogue perk as soon as possible)

Hastati

That OT advice is crucial to enjoying DA:I as intended... good stuff.

I caught Hinterlands disease.. I wallowed there for what felt like an eternity.. and I was starting to get bored big time.. going back now is so much more rewarding, actually beating those harder rifts as your party gets geared/levelled, awesome.

I feel like the game should direct you the hell out of there at some point. It's hard to know what is important to do right now and what should be reserved for later, considering the volume of content at or just above level (and the fact that it scales so cleanly within the zone itself). I am definitely suffering from this disease right now, guess it's time for me to leave...

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Holy shit...

Post What Pride has Wrought spoilers ahead.

That sequence with Morrigan and Flemeth, holy shit. I have a feeling that even if I had her killed in DA2 she probably would've came back just like in DA:O. She's probably going to be a villain in the next game or some sort of major character given everything I just saw. I kinda feel bad for Morrigan now but being under Flemeth's control myself does not bode well either. I refused the ancient elves deal but I feel as though I should've accepted, I may have been able to recruit them AND take the well. Oh well, I'll find out in my next playthrough.

I left the game for a week and have been binging on Far Cry 4 and now feel a need to absolutely blow through all the story content. I figure I'll need new stuff to do on subsequent playthroughs anyway.

Captcha

I really enjoy Vivienne and wish they would have let us romance her. I like her enough to make me go straight for once in my life.

I feel like the game should direct you the hell out of there at some point. It's hard to know what is important to do right now and what should be reserved for later, considering the volume of content at or just above level (and the fact that it scales so cleanly within the zone itself). I am definitely suffering from this disease right now, guess it's time for me to leave...

Its definitely a design flaw I feel like.

Or at least I wish the game did a better job directing you to the different zones or at least gave you stronger narrative reasons to go to the various zones besides the sort of catch all excuse of strengthening the Inquisition. For all the talk of Inquisition being open world, the world map structure is basically the same as Origins, just with massively larger zones to explore. Its just that with something like Origins, it felt like there was a much much stronger narrative focus on why you were going to these various places.

Its the problem most open world games have where its real easy to just get totally lost in mundane side quests. And Inquisition has way too many mundane side quests in comparison to the narrative driven main questlines.

Okay, can someone clue me in on these puzzles in the Hissing Wastes?

Ya know, the dungeons where you go into a room with four stone tablets and four blaziers and you light one of em up and a bunch of spirits pop up to fight?

Just finished the Arbor Wilds/Temple of Mythal main plot quest, makes me really want to start on my elven mage playthrough now. The reveal of
ancient elves killing off themselves and not Tevinter was an utter shock, pleasant at that too. Made a good choice in having Dorian in the party at the time, next time I'll make sure to have him and Solas.

Just this single plot quest adds a whole other dimension to the lore of Dragon Age and further branches in what future installments to the franchise can bring, very exciting.

As for the big choice, I let
Morrigan drink from the well on the basis that she already had an Old God baby from my choices in DA:O/Dragon Keep, how much more fucked up in magic can I get her? Next playthrough I'm doing an elf again and will decide on having the Inquisitor drink from it.

Sifl

Okay, can someone clue me in on these puzzles in the Hissing Wastes?

Ya know, the dungeons where you go into a room with four stone tablets and four blaziers and you light one of em up and a bunch of spirits pop up to fight?
Read the tablets, they form a story if put in the right order. Light the blaziers in the order you think the story goes. To cheese it just save and reload if you summon enemies

Hmmm...

I imported my Hawke on Dragon Age keep, but for some reason in game hes now a Mage instead of a Warrior? Anyone else have this issue? Its probably not going to be a big deal, its just a little annoying to see my dude as a mage now, haha.

edit: In the Codex, I assume 'Hero of Ferelden' is supposed to be my character from DAO too....well its not, it says its some Dalish elf lady who died. All of which is wrong as fuck.

I hate being 50 hours into this game and noticing my DA Keep stuff didnt transfer over or something.

Zafir

Hmmm...

I imported my Hawke on Dragon Age keep, but for some reason in game hes now a Mage instead of a Warrior? Anyone else have this issue? Its probably not going to be a big deal, its just a little annoying to see my dude as a mage now, haha.

edit: In the Codex, I assume 'Hero of Ferelden' is supposed to be my character from DAO too....well its not, it says its some Dalish elf lady who died. All of which is wrong as fuck.

I hate being 50 hours into this game and noticing my DA Keep stuff didnt transfer over or something.

It perhaps didn't transfer. As Mage Hawke is the default for 2, and Dalish elf who did the ultimate sacrifice is the default for Origins.

It perhaps didn't transfer. As Mage Hawke is the default for 2, and Dalish elf who did the ultimate sacrifice is the default for Origins.

Well fuck.

Haha.

I can't believe I'm even CONSIDERING restarting 50 hours in.

Edit: How can you even tell if it transfered? When I start a new game it asks to import, so I do, but it doesn't say anything about any of your choices at all.

Zafir

Well fuck.

Haha.

I can't believe I'm even CONSIDERING restarting 50 hours in.
I was lucky in that I figured out things weren't quite right only 40mins in. :p

If you do decide to restart, it's probably worth talking to Leliana and Varric as soon as you get to Haven. Leliana gives some information on the Hero of Ferelden(She'll say they disappeared if they're still alive), and Varric will give you an overview of what happened to all the companions from 2.

If you do decide to restart, it's probably worth talking to Leliana and Varric as soon as you get to Haven. Leliana gives some information on the Hero of Ferelden(She'll say they disappeared if they're still alive), and Varric will give you an overview of what happened to all the companions from 2.

Well shit. I didnt talk to Varric much cause I had my fill of him in 2 and I didn't really have him on my team in that game either, and I didn't chat much with liliana much either cause I killed her in the first one and I've been bitter about her existence since playing 2, haha.

If I restarted it would probably only take me 20 hours to get back to where I was... I'm working on the Hawke quest line stuff right now, but Im level 16 and basically cleared out a lot of areas already!

Zafir

Well shit. I didnt talk to Varric much cause I had my fill of him in 2 and I didn't really have him on my team in that game either, and I didn't chat much with liliana much either cause I killed her in the first one and I've been bitter about her existence since playing 2, haha.

If I restarted it would probably only take me 20 hours to get back to where I was... I'm working on the Hawke quest line stuff right now, but Im level 16 and basically cleared out a lot of areas already!

Leliana actually mentions if you killed her in the first game, so that'll be another good indicator that it's imported correctly. :p

Dresden

Its definitely a design flaw I feel like.

Or at least I wish the game did a better job directing you to the different zones or at least gave you stronger narrative reasons to go to the various zones besides the sort of catch all excuse of strengthening the Inquisition.

For all the talk of Inquisition being open world, the world map structure is basically the same as Origins, just with massively larger zones to explore. Its just that with something like Origins, it felt like there was a much much stronger narrative focus on why you were going to these various places.

In lieu of like, compelling narrative reasons to push forward, I wish they'd at least locked out zones as you did others to move you forward in the right direction. Just swept through the Exalted Plains? Emerald Grave is now overrun by the Elder One's forces, ho ho. In general the game needs quite a bit of pruning, including the requisition orders that people just can't stop filling out.

Xeteh

I was a bit further in but when Leliana just kind of passively mentioned the Warden with no mention of her personal feelings I knew something was up. So when I talked to Varric and he didn't mention Elizabeth I figured it hadn't transferred over.

Xeteh

In lieu of like, compelling narrative reasons to push forward, I wish they'd at least locked out zones as you did others to move you forward in the right direction. Just swept through the Exalted Plains? Emerald Grave is now overrun by the Elder One's forces, ho ho. In general the game needs quite a bit of pruning, including the requisition orders that people just can't stop filling out.

What if players decide to bounce between zones to try to keep control of things? Do they get punished or does something else happen? I can see issues with that sort of thing. I do, however, totally agree that the game needed some tightening up and requisition ordered absolutely needed a better explanation. I'm pretty slow so it took me like 15+ to realize they did nothing but give me power.

Edit: Ugh, sorry. Didn't mean to double post.

gogosox82

guys what is the best specialization for a rouge?

Tempest and Assassin are pretty good. I've seen people do some insane damage with Tempest. I went Assassin and you can still do some insane damage. Mark of death-stealth-thousand cuts-hidden blades is at least 3,000 k damage every time.

Top Bottom