• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Finished the mini (but still important) plot quest The Final Piece.

Welp, glad that I didn't
drink from the well and let Morrigan to do so instead. And another lorebomb drop that I've enjoyed in now knowing that Mythal is Flemeth (or technically inside her, though Flemeth seems willing).

neoism

Tempest and Assassin are pretty good. I've seen people do some insane damage with Tempest. I went Assassin and you can still do some insane damage. Mark of death-stealth-thousand cuts-hidden blades is at least 3,000 k damage every time.

yeah watch a few vids and going tempest for sure looks awesome... I usually do assassin anything in rpgs so going to spice it up a bit...

Alright, finished the main story at 84 hours. Need a lot of quests to finish though. MAJOR end spoilers:
What the fuck was up with Solas? He is some ancient Elven trickster god? Can he come back to my party? Can I find him??? What is this?????????

OK, so any guesses on how quick I could get myself to the part of the game where my main big quests are the fade and the ball (or dance or whatever it is)?

Ricker

Why cant I go through that cave entrance North West in Stormcoast to get the 5 red lyrium on Varricks quest...the markers are right there a little north of the entrance ?...if its an exit,where is the entrance,I went all around that door and its mountains...so annoying.

Xeteh

Why cant I go through that cave entrance North West in Stormcoast to get the 5 red lyrium on Varricks quest...the markers are right there a little north of the entrance ?...if its an exit,where is the entrance,I went all around that door and its mountains...so annoying.

Once you progress the story a bit you'll eventually get a war table mission that costs like 4 power or so about Red Templars on the Storm Coast (I believe), it is what unlocks that area.

Xeteh

Whoever
becomes divine
will leave as well.

Can you actually make it so neither Leliana or Cassandra become Divine? Cassandra became Divine in my playthrough but I wasn't sure if there was a way to pull that off or if one or the other got chosen regardless.

Edit: Holy shit, I'm stupid. I keep quoting someone to edit in to a post then just hit reply instead. Sorry.

Can you actually make it so neither Leliana or Cassandra become Divine? Cassandra became Divine in my playthrough but I wasn't sure if there was a way to pull that off or if one or the other got chosen regardless.

Not 100% sure that's what you're asking, but
Vivienne can become Divine
too. Someone has to though, and I'm pretty sure it has to be one of these 3.

Yeul

Yes, Vivienne can become Divine. Although the way the game comes to that conclusion isn't entirely clear. It's obviously based on your dialogue options and Vivienne wants to restore things to the status quo so if you agree with her on that and support her on the war table mission then it should start to swing that way.

Also, whoever you make Divine will stay in your party. They will just say that they are still making preparations for the transition. Cassandra actually begs you to take her out on adventures and stuff.

It's based on a few things. I didn't really support either and somehow I had
Vivienne become the divine.

It was really annoying because she was in my main party

Leliana became divine in my game because I kept discouraging Cassandra and told Vivienne that Leliana would make a good choice.

Xeteh

Not 100% sure that's what you're asking, but
Vivienne can become Divine
too. Someone has to though, and I'm pretty sure it has to be one of these 3.

Nah that is kind of what I'm asking but
I would've never guessed Vivienne would've been a choice, I half expected it to be some no-name NPC that were the only options outside of Cassandra/Leliana. That is cool though.

Ok guys. I need some help with my team.

So far I have

Sera
Iron Bull
Solas
Cassandra
Varric

And I've only used

Solas, Varric and Cassandra.

I'm trying to get all the companions before I get into the story quest but I'm having a bit of trouble on who to use.

I think at all times I need Solas as I am a warrior myself. However for back flanking, Varric and Sera make sense...

However Cassandra and Iron Bull is who I'm having trouble in swapping out. I've never used Iron Bull before so my question is, how is he?

So far I have

Sera
Iron Bull
Solas
Cassandra
Varric

And I've only used

I'm trying to get all the companions before I get into the story quest but I'm having a bit of trouble on who to use.

I think at all times I need Solas as I am a warrior myself. However for back flanking, Varric and Sera make sense...

However Cassandra and Iron Bull is who I'm having trouble in swapping out. I've never used Iron Bull before so my question is, how is he?

Well first you missed Vivienne? In
Val Royeaux
there's a NPC giving you an invitation for her. You should also have a mission for Blackwall already, in
Hinterlands
. The last 2 you can't get before you advance the story quest.

Bull is kinda meh unless you play on normal, or you spec him as a tank. You can make it work, it's just kinda harder since the AI is not really good at playing melee characters other than tanks, you'll have to make an inefficient ultra defensive build to actually make it work. In general Cassandra or Blackwall are much better tanks for that role too.

For your mage, any of the 3 mages is fine, matter of preference there.

Zafir

So far I have

Sera
Iron Bull
Solas
Cassandra
Varric

And I've only used

I personally wouldn't recommend him unless you plan on controlling him yourself, or you really want to hear his banter(his banter with characters is pretty damn good). The AI is pretty poor at handling melee DPS in my experience. Even on Normal they can die a lot because the AI stands in stupid positions(Cleave radius etc) while dpsing. You can try and move them but they often move back.

I wouldn't even consider using him for a second in my current nightmare run. Which is a shame, because as I mentioned, his dialogue is pretty great.

jgwhiteus

Whoever
becomes divine
will leave as well.

Actually, you can still keep at least one of them in your party. (End-game spoilers)
Cassandra is still by the practice dummies in Skyhold even after being elected, and if you talk to her she asks you to take her on an adventure because she's sick of handling all the politics before her election, so she can still come on quests with you. The post-game is kind of weird that way; like Morrigan is still in the garden even though the ending said she left already.

And that particular aspect of the end-game is actually affected by a few factors from what I've read. Again, major end-game spoilers:
- The election of the Divine depends partly on your conversation choices and who you throw your support behind

- It depends partly on who you support for the Orlesian throne - apparently different mixes of Celene / Gaspard / Briala lead to support going to different candidates. Celene alone tends to throw support to Vivienne, I think? In my playthrough I had all three work together; apparently that comes out as a "neutral" for the Divine candidates

- I think it's also affected by the responses you give throughout the game on what should be done with the Chantry / Templars / Mages - should mages be free, should the Circle be reformed, should Cassandra reform the Seekers, etc. Vivienne favors rebuilding the Circle and the traditional structure; Cassandra seeks to keep both the Templars / Circles but reform them to the Chantry's original principles; Leliana just wants to do away with everything and start over to make the Chantry more open.

My go-to party (as a mage) tended to be Dorian / Sera / Cassandra.

I preferred Sera over Varric as a ranged archer because of her Tempest specialization and because you have more options for her weaponry, rather than searching / crafting Bianca upgrades. Also, I think she's hilarious.

Of the Warriors, Iron Bull has fun banter and can deal a lot of damage but his AI defense tends to suck, and I kept on wasting healing potions on him when they should have been going to weaker members. Cassandra (and later Blackwall) both make great tanks and handle themselves well; Blackwall is almost unstoppable as a Champion (I pretty much never had to heal him) but personality-wise Cassandra plays off well against Sera and Dorian, whereas Blackwall (for me) was a bit more wooden in his banter, and he's almost antagonistic towards Dorian. Oh, and while Cassandra's specialization is a mixed bag, her Focus ability gives everyone Guard, which I found more useful than Blackwall's Focus ability (counter-attacking, I think).

I think any of the three mages are fine (if you're not playing a mage I guess Vivienne's specialty is useful if you want to take control of her); I just picked Dorian because of his personality / banter.

Rootbeer

Banned
almost single handedly took out a lvl 20 dragon with a lvl 17 party with everyone dying 1/3 of the way through other than Vivienne.

Damn she is fun to use. A bit OP though!

tcrunch

So far I have

Sera
Iron Bull
Solas
Cassandra
Varric

And I've only used

Spec Bull as a sword/board tank if you want to use him. I have him that way on nightmare with no problems.

Man, every time I think I'm getting tired of this game I play another story mission and dismiss such silly thoughts.

Bioware figured out the perfect way to apply their formula.

Does fine as a tank if you give him a shield. AI can't play reaver so 2h dps is out.

Well first you missed Vivienne? In
Val Royeaux
there's a NPC giving you an invitation for her. You should also have a mission for Blackwall already, in
Hinterlands
. The last 2 you can't get before you advance the story quest.

Bull is kinda meh unless you play on normal, or you spec him as a tank. You can make it work, it's just kinda harder since the AI is not really good at playing melee characters other than tanks, you'll have to make an inefficient ultra defensive build to actually make it work. In general Cassandra or Blackwall are much better tanks for that role too.

For your mage, any of the 3 mages is fine, matter of preference there.

I personally wouldn't recommend him unless you plan on controlling him yourself, or you really want to hear his banter(his banter with characters is pretty damn good). The AI is pretty poor at handling melee DPS in my experience. Even on Normal they can die a lot because the AI stands in stupid positions(Cleave radius etc) while dpsing. You can try and move them but they often move back.

I wouldn't even consider using him for a second in my current nightmare run. Which is a shame, because as I mentioned, his dialogue is pretty great.

Spec Bull as a sword/board tank if you want to use him. I have him that way on nightmare with no problems.

jgwhiteus said:
My go-to party (as a mage) tended to be Dorian / Sera / Cassandra.

I preferred Sera over Varric as a ranged archer because of her Tempest specialization and because you have more options for her weaponry, rather than searching / crafting Bianca upgrades. Also, I think she's hilarious.

Of the Warriors, Iron Bull has fun banter and can deal a lot of damage but his AI defense tends to suck, and I kept on wasting healing potions on him when they should have been going to weaker members. Cassandra (and later Blackwall) both make great tanks and handle themselves well; Blackwall is almost unstoppable as a Champion (I pretty much never had to heal him) but personality-wise Cassandra plays off well against Sera and Dorian, whereas Blackwall (for me) was a bit more wooden in his banter, and he's almost antagonistic towards Dorian. Oh, and while Cassandra's specialization is a mixed bag, her Focus ability gives everyone Guard, which I found more useful than Blackwall's Focus ability (counter-attacking, I think).

I think any of the three mages are fine (if you're not playing a mage I guess Vivienne's specialty is useful if you want to take control of her); I just picked Dorian because of his personality / banter.

Some good impressions here. I guess it sounds like Cassandra and Blackwall for the win. I haven't gotten Vivienne but now I have to get her. I finished the first major mission to get Blackwall now, which I'm going to do asap and then go after Dorian. I kind of want him so bad so I need to work on that. On Varric, I do hate him due to that Bianca bullshit. I can't give him better weapons because of that so using Sera is pretty much a must.

Also since this is my first Dragon Age, I stayed on Normal.

Welp, I beat the final mission.

It was... well kinda underwhelming to be honest.
I enjoyed the fight for its visuals and musical score but aside from that it ended too quickly, might be because I'm playing on normal but when regarding the other main plot quests I expected more like a zone to travel through.

Anyways off with me to the spoiler thread!

Edit: Oh yeah I should state this first playthrough of mine took 74 hours.

Demoskinos

Oh man, so I've dipped my toe into multiplayer and I've been enjoying it a lot actually.... Unlocked the Reaver and she is so bad-ass. :D

Some good impressions here. I guess it sounds like Cassandra and Blackwall for the win. I haven't gotten Vivienne but now I have to get her. I finished the first major mission to get Blackwall now, which I'm going to do asap and then go after Dorian. I kind of want him so bad so I need to work on that. On Varric, I do hate him due to that Bianca bullshit. I can't give him better weapons because of that so using Sera is pretty much a must.

Also since this is my first Dragon Age, I stayed on Normal.

Talk to the vendor in Haven, he'll sell you Bianca parts/schematics that should at least put it on par with any bow you've found up to that point.

zkorejo

That Templar's quest was amazing! Really liking Cassandra, Sera and Cole,. but also really need a mage (prefer Solas over Vivienne). I wish we could take 4 companions with us.

Kenaras

Talk to the vendor in Haven, he'll sell you Bianca parts/schematics that should at least put it on par with any bow you've found up to that point.

I found a great unique bow early on, and it took forever before I was able to upgrade Bianca enough to compete.

Once you get tier 3 crafting materials and Bianca schematics though, Varric hits like a truck.

That Templar's quest was amazing! Really liking Cassandra, Sera and Cole,. but also really need a mage (prefer Solas over Vivienne). I wish we could take 4 companions with us.

I want more missions like ME3 Citadel, where (Citadel DLC spoiler)
you go on a mission with your entire team working together. The banter during that mission was amazing.

xCobalt

For those that play MP, do you guys think if buying a chest as a high level character gives you a better chance of higher level gear? I've seen a couple of people mention it but haven't noticed it myself...although I do promote my characters as soon as they hit 20.

Ok, so I'm stuck. I don't know if I should side with the mages or the templars?

See on one hand, the mages seem desperate.. And dorian is kind of cool.

On the other hand, I can't stand that Lord Seeker but templars are strong allies.

Which path was better? Or does one work itself out and all the events carry on as normal?

Logash

My iron bull is falling behind on armor. Anyone know a quick way to get armor for him? A nice level 3 scimatic from a vender perhaps? Please help.

danthefan

Is there a tactics command that will tell your mages to keep some distance from the enemy? The only options seem to be follow and defend. Dorian keeps standing on top of my main char who is a rogue, and hence gets killed a lot.

Ok, so I'm stuck. I don't know if I should side with the mages or the templars?

See on one hand, the mages seem desperate.. And dorian is kind of cool.

On the other hand, I can't stand that Lord Seeker but templars are strong allies.

Which path was better? Or does one work itself out and all the events carry on as normal?

The mage quest is a lot more fun.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Man, every time I think I'm getting tired of this game I play another story mission and dismiss such silly thoughts.

Bioware figured out the perfect way to apply their formula.

Haha! I was just thinking this... whenever you tire of finding camps/shards/companion missions, story mission it up - and all is well again.

It's easy to get a bit lost in it all I reckon.. which I don't mind at all.

I really wish I had known about Dragon Age Keep before my first playthrough. The default world state kind of blows. Actually, what I REALLY wish is that they had gone the extra step and have the PC version read your saves, since the site practically does that anyway (though possibly only for hero information and achievements).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
i love being a mooselord

moose1z1uef.png

GorillaJu

So like is Sera with Flask of Lightning on priority just the strongest companion by far? When I go up to fight a mob, as soon as the encounter starts she pops her Flask and machine-guns down 75% of their health in under a second. It's like... Stupid

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I hope I am not the only one that felt "guilty" for making out-of-lore specialization for my characters: for example, making Sera using Daggers when at the very beginning the game noted on a conversation with her how she managed to learn amazing bow skills all on her own, or making Iron Bull using A sword and Shield. Or making Cole using bows, etc etc.

Or making Solas not learning Spirit tree skills. Seem so appropriate and lore-like for him to learn Spirit tree skills.

I crafted some dual blade grips using the schematic that you can get from val royeaux. For some reason I can't attach them to the dual blades made from the schematic from the same vendor

What'sup with that?

Leliana became divine in my game because I kept discouraging Cassandra and told Vivienne that Leliana would make a good choice.

I did the same thing because
I wanted it to be Lelliana, but Cassandra has still become Divine in both my playthroughs. I'll just have to try again.

Some Nobody

I hope I am not the only one that felt "guilty" for making out-of-lore specialization for my characters: for example, making Sera using Daggers when at the very beginning the game noted on a conversation with her how she managed to learn amazing bow skills all on her own, or making Iron Bull using A sword and Shield. Or making Cole using bows, etc etc.

Or making Solas not learning Spirit tree skills. Seem so appropriate and lore-like for him to learn Spirit tree skills.

I just...didn't do that, lol. There's literally no reason to when if I want a Rogue with a knife I'll use Cole, if I want arrows I'll use Sera. If I want a sword and shield Warrior I'll go with Cassandra, etc. etc.

But its your game, play it how you want. That said, every mage should have Spirit tree skills. For one, mages who can't cast barrier are fucking worthless. For another, Dispel is a legit ability when sealing fade rifts.

So like is Sera with Flask of Lightning on priority just the strongest companion by far? When I go up to fight a mob, as soon as the encounter starts she pops her Flask and machine-guns down 75% of their health in under a second. It's like... Stupid

And then there's the bow that shoots three arrows...

Top Bottom