• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Loomba

How can I get some good mage armour? I'm still using the one bought from the inquisition at the start and dont like it much.

And how can I get knight enchanter? I've just
sided with the mages
if that makes a difference.

thanks

aborath

Neo Member
How can I get some good mage armour? I'm still using the one bought from the inquisition at the start and dont like it much.

Random drops and vendor purchases at lower levels. The Dragon Armor that came with the Deluxe Edition lasted me quite a while. To Skyhold, if I remember correctly. Eventually, you'll be crafting your own, though.

And how can I get knight enchanter?
thanks

At level 10, you will get a quest in Skyhold to speak to NPC who will have you fetch/craft various components in order to specialize.

I've just
sided with the mages

... When did you have to choose one or the other? I'm around 90 hours in and haven't been asked to pick a side. Maybe I missed something.

so, I found my favorite cutscene in the game (not finished with the story, but nothing could top this). It's so heart-warming. I just wanted to scoop everyone up and hug them.

No story or quest spoilers, just companions and advisors being their loveable selves. It's triggered by talking to a companion
(Verric)
http://youtu.be/sSNHh-B5M8s

... When did you have to choose one or the other? I'm around 90 hours in and haven't been asked to pick a side. Maybe I missed something.
You did pick, but it's very easy to not notice. Late in Act 1, you have the choice between two story missions on the war table. (Or one war table mission if you haven't done an out-in-the-world mission yet.) I believe the game does say that choosing one will lock out the other, but it's easy to miss.

Frillen

And how can I get knight enchanter? I've just
sided with the mages

thanks

Crafting, crafting, crafting...

You need to get to the Skyhold and do a war room mission in order to get the specializations.

aborath

Neo Member
You did pick, but it's very easy to not notice. Late in Act 1, you have the choice between two story missions on the war table. (Or one war table mission if you haven't done an out-in-the-world mission yet.) I believe the game does say that choosing one will lock out the other, but it's easy to miss.

Oh man, that sucks. Is there a way to know what choice was made (fingers crossed for mages)?

Onyar

I love this cheeseld.
MRGwW12.jpg

aborath

Neo Member
Is Fiona standing near Dorian?

How the fuck did you not notice though? That's incredible.

Well shit, I guess I didn't read the text. The game took a little bit to get its hooks into me. For a while, I was just playing on autopilot, debating whether or not to uninstall. Guess this came up before I started paying attention. I've been waiting all this time for the opportunity to side with the mages, all the while having already chosen the templars. :(

Oh well, too late to change it now.

Zeliard

Man the tactical camera zoom tweak for PC makes the game so much more comfortable to play. Where battles were once stifled and chaotic, it's now much cleaner and more intuitive to plan them out carefully. Night and day.

ok. Where the hell are the containment apparatus' needed for the Tempest specialization? I know they are in the Coast, but is there a map or something??

Reedirect

I've entered the Hissing Wastes finally and bought me some T3 end game schematics in the form of elf-only Dalish Scout Armor. Took me a fucking while to pick stats I want and mesh the colors so it won't look stupid. Armor customization in this game is dreadfully subpar.

Yeah, I don't like the way they handled armor at all. One of the few things that was actually better in 2.

The Chef

Man the tactical camera zoom tweak for PC makes the game so much more comfortable to play. Where battles were once stifled and chaotic, it's now much cleaner and more intuitive to plan them out carefully. Night and day.

Sounds interesting. I often am fumbling around with the camera on PS4.

I feel a little disappointed by the romance options thus far. Not a huge fan of Josephine and Cassandra looks like she rides with the Sons of Anarchy.

There was literally no armor customization in DA2, you could only change Hawke's armor and still the best stuff was unlocked by following the story line so you would end up wearing the same in all playthroughs.

DA:O was better but still there were not many armor models (outside of PC mods) so, even though it could have been better of course, DA:I is still a big step up in the series regarding customization.

TheFatMan

There was literally no armor customization in DA2, you could only change Hawke's armor and still the best stuff was unlocked by following the story line so you would end up wearing the same in all playthroughs.

DA:O was better but still there were not many armor models (outside of PC mods) so, even though it could have been better of course, DA:I is still a big step up in the series regarding customization.

To be fair the armor design (and even the weapon design), has always felt weird and clunky to me in Dragon Age games. This has not stopped me from loving every moment of the game though.

But you know, sometimes I wish the armor looked more...imposing.

elhav

Man the story is really cheesy huh? Well the characters are great so whatever. Love the frequent talks between Sera and Cassandra.

jgwhiteus

Finished the game last night; I was originally going to hold off for a patch to see if they'd fix the Dorian sidequest bug (which Bioware / EA has said they know about), but after reading about it I think the window of opportunity to get his companion quest is closed in the late game, so I went ahead and completed it. PSA for those who want to see his sidequest (which is also necessary to romance him) - make sure you trigger it soon after (minor early post-Act I spoilers)
you reach Skyhold. It requires seeing a custcene conversation with him about Felix, then accepting a quest from Mother Giselle which should be available almost immediately afterwards.

I actually went back to an earlier save to trigger it properly; I got a conversation that never appeared before despite talking to him regularly. Apparently if you're not seeing the conversation you can "fix" it by exiting to another map and re-entering (which is a method for fixing several bugs in the game, including graphical glitches and missing NPCs and quest markers - apparently a lot of bugs have to do with the program's cache, which is cleared / refreshed when you leave a map?)

In any case, I'm going to start a second playthrough eventually after taking a break, probably play around with the world state in the Keep to switch things around a bit and also make some different choices from the beginning of the game which influence the ending. (Character spoiler for Leliana)
apparently the way you respond to her dealing with the double agent all the way back in her Haven tent helps determine whether she'll be ruthless when doing her sidequest; it can also be affected by Marjolaine's fate in the Keep

Quick question, best staff/schematics in the game? Where can I get them. I'm about level 16 at the moment.

I think all the "Tier 3" schematics are at a similar damage range; I found the Archmage Staff schematic in a late (near game-end) story quest. Their listed DPS is actually a bit lower than the DPS for some staffs you find much earlier on (e.g. from dragons), but if you add a good rune, create a Masterwork, and add a good grip / staff modification, you can bump that number up. I think the staff I used in the end had a listed DPS of 167; the highest I saw from a found / looted staff was 118.

Yeah, I don't like the way they handled armor at all. One of the few things that was actually better in 2.
Ahaha, what?

You mean the game that didn't let you change your companions' armor at all and constantly gave you generic items like "robes"? The game that gave you gear for other classes but nothing to do with them but sell them? The game with zero customization whatsoever?

To each their own I guess.

Orcastar

Is the multi player a broken mess for anyone else on PS4? I've tried to get into a quick match like 20 times and only gotten in once. Connection errors everywhere.

Cloudy

Banned
This is one of the few times I've played a game and been intimidated by it's size and scope. LMAO @ some of the essays in the notes you find lying around.

Also, I was in the Haven bar for like 30 minutes because the guitar lady was great lol

PS: That start menu theme is beyond epic

KePoW

Banned
Looks better without the thick makeup. Though maybe it would've suited her chav personality more.

Completely disagree

Sera looks butt ugly in the final retail version. I really hope this game ends up with mod support somehow. Everyone has different physical attraction preferences

I wore the same armor for 70% of the game and used the same weapon for probably half. You find plenty of unique items from enemies but they're daggers 99% of the time. Which is why I made a rogue.

Watch me find nothing but 2h swords.

Reedirect

Ahaha, what?

You mean the game that didn't let you change your companions' armor at all and constantly gave you generic items like "robes"? The game that gave you gear for other classes but nothing to do with them but sell them? The game with zero customization whatsoever?

To each their own I guess.

Maybe "comfortable" is the better word. The customatization is definitely deeper in Inquisition, but the whole crafting system just completely kills it for me. It's always so clunky and annoying to have to manually check every party member's armor before crafting a new one for them (since comparing them during the actual crafting is not there), then having your work spread around several tables for no reason instead of a universal hub. It works well when you give it time, but sometimes I prefer the simplicity of 2.

Maybe "comfortable" is the better word. The customatization is definitely deeper in Inquisition, but the whole crafting system just completely kills it for me. It's always so clunky and annoying to have to manually check every party member's armor before crafting a new one for them (since comparing them during the actual crafting is not there), then having your work spread around several tables for no reason instead of a universal hub. It works well when you give it time, but sometimes I prefer the simplicity of 2.

While the crafting system could definitely stand to be consolidated and get some quality-of-life improvements like a comparison tool, it's till orders of magnitude beyond DA2's. It offers a solid amount of visual and mechanical customization, due to the redundancies. Don't like the color combos you're getting? Pick another material with the same stats in a different color. I'm actually quite fond of it, really.

Logash

Guys I think I screwed up with Vivian.
I did a quest to kill a dragon and when I went to turn it in the only option available was to lie to her about not having the heart. Now I killed the dragon a looted every thing like I always do when I fight dragons. I assumed that the heart was in the loot automatically like a quest in an MMO. Anyway I lied to her and this guy died and now she's mad at me. I don't care too much cause I hate her anyway but I was wondering what I did wrong.

I did a quest to kill a dragon and when I went to turn it in the only option available was to lie to her about not having the heart. Now I killed the dragon a looted every thing like I always do when I fight dragons. I assumed that the heart was in the loot automatically like a quest in an MMO. Anyway I lied to her and this guy died and now she's mad at me. I don't care too much cause I hate her anyway but I was wondering what I did wrong.

Did you kill the Snowy Wyvern or just a regular Wyvern? The heart should be there.

Logash

Did you kill the Snowy Wyvern or just a regular Wyvern? The heart should be there.
Idk I went to the area on the map that I was told to go to and fought a huge dragon. I know for sure it was a high dragon though cause its like my 4th dragon kill.

KePoW

Banned
Agreed, she's clearly not meant to be physically attractive, which is fine. Not everyone you meet on the street is going to be a knockout.

Certainly true in real life. But I don't want video games to be like real life. That's just my opinion.

Also in the case of Bioware games, that also means it completely eliminates me seeing the storyline for one NPC's romance option.

In DAI's case, I'm just disappointed because 2 of the 3 female NPC options are completely out for me. (I do not like bald women regarding Vivienne)

DAI still clearly my GOTY though

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Sorry if this has been asked, but is anybody else having issues reading the text such as in Codex and such?

I'm just reading through it and its hurting my eyes something fierce, even sitting relatively close to a 48in panny plasma. Starting to give me a headache :/

I seen someone ask this before, but didn't see a reply. Should I respec and go all out in a specialization or just slowly work on it? I am an archer and have some in temepest, but I feel like I can't keep up as much.

KePoW

Banned
I seen someone ask this before, but didn't see a reply. Should I respec and go all out in a specialization or just slowly work on it? I am an archer and have some in temepest, but I feel like I can't keep up as much.

If you're playing on Normal, you can experiment and do whatever really

Killzig

Dragons and Wyverns are not the same enemy type in this game. The heart she wants is from a specific enemy and you'll know it when you see it.

fuzzyset

What is this? Playing on PC with a controller and I find the controls a bit cumbersome. Would love to make it better!

jasonng

I fell for this mix up too. The dragon you fought was not what Vivian was looking for. What she's looking for is a much less threatening creature close to it. Look for it again on the map.

Top Bottom