• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

FreeMufasa

I got a question, I'm watching the English Kai dub for the first time.

So is goku not as heroic as he was in the funi/ocean dub? Was he written this way. A few examples.

When he's fighting frieza and they make the wish to move everyone to earth. He says to king Kai "I'll never forgive u if u take me out of this fight" but I remember in the original he said something like I must defeat him at his best so he won't terrorise the galaxy anymore.

With the vegeta fight he tells krillin to spare him cos he's so strong and he wants to fight him again. I think he says something like we've proven how strong we are, there's no reason to kill him in the ocean dub.

Gokus always been battle thirsty but he always seemed like his first priority was to save and protect, second to test himself. In Kai it seems he just cares about fighting strong dudes. Is this how we was originally written?

MikeMyers

So is goku not as heroic as he was in the funi/ocean dub? Was he written this way. A few examples.

When he's fighting frieza and they make the wish to move everyone to earth. He says to king Kai "I'll never forgive u if u take me out of this fight" but I remember in the original he said something like I must defeat him at his best so he won't terrorise the galaxy anymore.

With the vegeta fight he tells krillin to spare him cos he's so strong and he wants to fight him again. I think he says something like we've proven how strong we are, there's no reason to kill him in the ocean dub.

Gokus always been battle thirsty but he always seemed like his first priority was to save and protect, second to test himself. In Kai it seems he just cares about fighting strong dudes. Is this how we was originally written?

Yes.

For example, in the old dub, if I remember correctly, when Vegeta dies on Namek he says the reason why he was so evil is because Frieza made him that way.

In the original version, Vegeta merely just wants Goku to beat Freeza so the Saiyans can have their revenge.

Yeah, that's Goku. The dubs added all the "ally to justice, nightmare to you" superhero stuff.

Yes, in the original version Goku's prime concern is getting a good fight with strong opponents. Heck, he flat-out lets Vegeta go for no reason other than wanting to fight him again despite all the people he's killed.

While the old Ocean/Funi dubs changed him into a Superman clone always spouting out lines about protecting the innocent and making enemies pay for their crimes and such . This is fixed in Kai since he's a much more flawed character in the original manga.

how did he know it

image.php

Savitar

One thing I never knew is that the Earth has one single ruling king, just watched an episode where he sent out the army to take down Cell and they get blown up for it. He appeared on TV to apologize for it, he's a blue dog creature. This is in Kai.

One thing I never knew is that the Earth has one single ruling king, just watched an episode where he sent out the army to take down Cell and they blown up for it. He appeared on TV to apologize for it, he's a blue dog creature. This is in Kai.

yea he winston churchhill's dog

One thing I never knew is that the Earth has one single ruling king, just watched an episode where he sent out the army to take down Cell and they get blown up for it. He appeared on TV to apologize for it, he's a blue dog creature. This is in Kai.

Yeah, he first appears in Dragon Ball, in the Demon King Piccolo arc.

Shouta

I just rewatched the entire first episode which has her first appearance in GT.

She has a date where she is going to see a movie, robbers show up, and she takes out the robbers.

The only strength-releated statement I saw was Goku giving a compliment on how strong Pan is. Nothing about Pan complaining how weak she is or wanting a normal life.

She actually makes a few comments about how her dates never seem to actually go all the way through. It's a strength related gripe, lol.

I've been watching GT again from the start and it's way better than I remembered. The adventure-ness of it comes out pretty well and holding back on the fighting made it work pretty well. Honestly, it really does feel like DB did. Kind of a shame that the image of fighting is so strong from DBZ because the adventure stuff gets lost as a result.

I should probably get around to watching GT some time. I started watching it properly for the first time alongside Daizenshuu's Reviews of Awesomeness podcasts but those seem to have fallen by the wayside (even before the merger).

MikeMyers

She actually makes a few comments about how her dates never seem to actually go all the way through. It's a strength related gripe, lol.

I've been watching GT again from the start and it's way better than I remembered. The adventure-ness of it comes out pretty well and holding back on the fighting made it work pretty well. Honestly, it really does feel like DB did. Kind of a shame that the image of fighting is so strong from DBZ because the adventure stuff gets lost as a result.

The problem with those early episodes is that the villains never really seem like a threat due to the mass power Goku, Trunks, and Pan have. Other than that, I enjoy those episodes as well.

Krammy

What's the best way to watch Dragon Ball in North America? I hear that all of Funimation's releases are zoomed in or something. Do I have any other options?

EDIT: What about the manga? Would it be better to just read it? Is it censored like the Dragon Ball Z releases?

MikeMyers

What's the best way to watch Dragon Ball in North America? I hear that all of Funimation's releases are zoomed in or something. Do I have any other options?

EDIT: What about the manga? Would it be better to just read it? Is it censored like the Dragon Ball Z releases?

The up coming 3-in-1 releases are uncensored (except the first one, due to a misprint). The older single releases are uncensored too.

Krammy

I hear the recent 3-in-1 release is done on such shoddy paper that you can see the art on the other side through it. Not sure if I'd be able to read it knowing that. With that said, I might look into the original releases.

Question -

If Goku was not a hero with a heart of gold in the original DBZ, then what does Vegeta talk to him about on Namek right before Vegeta dies from Frieza's attack?

Like right before Goku and Frieza fight.

Because the whole crux of that conversation in the U.S. DBZ is that Goku must put aside his soft-heartedness and chances for redemption because Frieza is pure evil.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Question -

If Goku was not a hero with a heart of gold in the original DBZ, then what does Vegeta talk to him about on Namek right before Vegeta dies from Frieza's attack?

Like right before Goku and Frieza fight.

Because the whole crux of that conversation in the U.S. DBZ is that Goku must put aside his soft-heartedness and chances for redemption because Frieza is pure evil.

Revenge for the saiyan race etc etc.

jaxword

Then why does he let Frieza go before Frieza throws destructo disc at his back as he is flying away?

Because Goku is not a sadist. He likes FIGHTING but not actively hurting people.

To him, Freeza was already beaten.

To put it another way, suppose you were in a fight with someone and you beat him and he's barely standing and he's bleeding and weaving around, dizzy. Are you REALLY going to to feel like a winner if you go all-out on some guy who probably is going to collapse from internal bleeding on his own in a few minutes?

That's how Goku saw Freeza. The alien burned out his energy and was on his way down.

FreeMufasa

So is the android saga the weakest goku has ever been? Vegeta, piccolo, 16, 17, 18 and cell are all stronger than him.

It's nice to see him notice this too and go off training. Normally he'd at least try.

munchie64

So is the android saga the weakest goku has ever been? Vegeta, piccolo, 16, 17, 18 and cell are all stronger than him.

It's nice to see him notice this too and go off training. Normally he'd at least try.
Yeah, I'd say so. I always liked how they made Piccolo the strongest there for a while there.

hiro4

If I remember correctly he was also sick during the beginning of the Android saga.
One of the reasons why Trunks came from the future was to give Goku medicine so he wouldn't die.

jaxword

During the Saiyan saga, he wasn't the strongest. He was weaker than Raditz and Vegeta; it took a group effort to win the battle in the end. He beat Nappa because he trained so hard after the Raditz defeat.

Also, in the Buu saga, Goku wasn't the strongest by a long shot. He got the killing blow in on Buu, but for most of the saga, he's lagging behind as the other heroes get their cheap powerups.

The power levels look a bit like this:

Fat Buu
SSj3 Goku / Kid Buu
Gotenks
Super Buu
Gohan
Buutenks
Buuhan
Vegetto

So you could say that the Buu saga has Goku at his weakest (with Vegeta).

jaxword

Wasn't Gotenks stronger than Boo? (As in the "Super" one)

They were about equal. The entire fight was ridiculous anyways since Gotenks was still just a little kid and fooled around too much to win. So whatever power advantage they had was negated by their immaturity.

All the power in the world doesn't do you any good if you don't know how to use it properly.

ElFly

Goku is the strongest in the Freezer saga, as he is plain old the strongest in the universe.

Cell saga? Goku is the third strongest, behind Gohan and Cell. Of course there is a good portion where he is like the seventh most powerful, as he is just a SSJ, behind Vegeta, Trunks, Cell, all the Androids, etc.

Buu? Here is hard to say, because it depends on how you count the Buus. But I'd wager he is still stronger than Gotenks SSJ3, at least while he is dead, given how Vegito makes fun of Gotenks' special techniques.

If I separated everyone, particularly dead/alive Goku.

Vegito
Buu with Gohan absorbed
Buu with Gotenks absorbed
Mystic Gohan
Dead SSJ3 Goku (maybe tied with Mystic Gohan)
Super Buu
Kid Buu
Fat Majin Buu with Kid Buu absorbed
Alive SSJ3 Goku
SSJ3 Gotenks
Slim Evil Majin Buu that eats Fat Buu
Fat Majin Buu without Kid Buu absorbed

and afterwards come all the jobbers, like Majin Vegeta, not mystic Gohan, Dabura, etc etc

weird part is that, besides Vegito, all the guys I listed before the jobbers are super close in power.

BHZ Mayor

After all these years, I figured out why that one Namek village that Vegeta killed was written to stay dead. It seemed so cynical for no reason at the time, considering how the dragon balls usually fix everything.

If they had wished for those killed by Frieza, his henchmen, and Vegeta to come back, then that would also include Kui, Dodoria, Zarbon, and most of the Ginyu Force, and no, we can't have that.

If they would have limited said wish to only the good people, then Vegeta would have been S.O.L., and no, we definitely can't have that.

So that poor Namekian village had to stay dead for the sake of bad guys staying dead and Vegeta being a character.

FreeMufasa

During the Saiyan saga, he wasn't the strongest. He was weaker than Raditz and Vegeta; it took a group effort to win the battle in the end. He beat Nappa because he trained so hard after the Raditz defeat.

Also, in the Buu saga, Goku wasn't the strongest by a long shot. He got the killing blow in on Buu, but for most of the saga, he's lagging behind as the other heroes get their cheap powerups.

The power levels look a bit like this:

Fat Buu
SSj3 Goku / Kid Buu
Gotenks
Super Buu
Gohan
Buutenks
Buuhan
Vegetto

So you could say that the Buu saga has Goku at his weakest (with Vegeta).

Yeah but he atleast attempted to fight those guys. He didn't date fight 2nd form cell or even hold him off for a while, even with the 3 years of training.

jaxword

Fat Majin Buu with Kid Buu absorbed

Which fights in particular are you referring to here?

Yeah but he atleast attempted to fight those guys. He didn't date fight 2nd form cell or even hold him off for a while, even with the 3 years of training.

Hmm.

Yeah, Android Saga Goku was when he was aiming for Gohan to take over. So his focus was solely on getting Gohan trained, not so much for the thrill of fighting that he normally has.

In other fights, Goku knew he was the ONLY one who had a chance, even if he was weaker (i.e. Vegeta or Freeza at the start).

With Cell, Goku knew that Gohan could eventually win, which is why he didn't go all-out at Cell in every form.

Top Bottom