• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for new shonen manga, havent read any shonen (since I was a kid at least).
Love OG DB, and really enjoyed DBZ.

thinking about yu yu hakusho or w/e its called, also one piece. I want something that may get a 2D ArkSys game one day

That's not likely to be yuyu, but read/watch it regardless. Easily one of the best shonen series ever. Also a truly unique SNES fighting game if you ever get the chance to play it. It's sort of a cinematic brawler.

caliph95

Looking for new shonen manga, havent read any shonen (since I was a kid at least).

thinking about yu yu hakusho or w/e its called, also one piece. I want something that may get a 2D ArkSys game one day
Definitely watch yu yu yu hakuso above all else plus it's completed unlike OP
Watching it now and It's also one of the best shonen ever
Both are great shows. I also recommend Jo Jo Bizarre Adventures.
That too

Skeeter49

Yu Yu Hakusho is a must.

I need to rewatch that.

Why do I get the feeling that Muten Roshi will be the last person on the battlefield?

Because your gut forgot it's the Goku show, starring Goku. Featuring nerdy Goku, tiny Goku, rival Goku, and occasionally evil Goku.

Seriously, super has shown little interest in a non-Goku solution to anything besides filler arcs.

LotusHD

Banned
Because your gut forgot it's the Goku show, starring Goku. Featuring nerdy Goku, tiny Goku, rival Goku, and occasionally evil Goku.

Seriously, super has shown little interest in a non-Goku solution to anything besides filler arcs.

Future Trunks arc had Trunks finish off Zamasu, and then later on Zen-Oh cleaned up the mess. I mean yea, Goku called him, but he wasn't really the solution.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
k

also, is yuyu manga worse than show? usually shows filled with filler. Its why the DB manga is superior to the show except in the case of Goku turning SS

The internet says there's very little filler in Yu Yu Hakusho. And from what I read of the manga it even cuts some of the manga out

caliph95

The internet says there's very little filler in Yu Yu Hakusho. And from what I read of the manga it even cuts some of the manga out
It expands stuff on the Manga as well from what I heard like the final arc but that is because how done Togashi was due to editor interference and rushed so the studio expanded on it to salvage it

thats weird, well I guess Ill the anime after my friend and I watch all of Kai.

is there a reason Kai never did the Buu saga?

Thisll be the second time Ive gone through all of DBZ this year. Read all of it till the end of cell arc, then watched from the saiyaman onwards back in febuary

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
They got to the Buu arc later on. It's finished in Japanese (and rolled right into Dragon Ball Super), but if you care about the Funimation dub it airs on Toonami now and has been getting Blu Ray releases

HeroR

Who's rival Goku?

I read the manga. I personally found the anime superior, especially the English dub by Funi. The problem with the manga is that art leaves a lot to be desire and some of the dialog is dryer than a desert.

Sandfox

If anything I would say Goku has been less effective in Super than any other series. GT was the one with that issue and earned the name "Goku Time" for a reason.

Who's rival Goku?
Nerdy Goku: Gohan
Tiny Goku: Vegeta
Rival Goku: Broly
Evil Goku: Freeza

he might be a supporting husband and tough love dad, but he really has to drop the cocky tsundere shit with goku at some point.

His general competitiveness with Goku is fine, but his attitude in other areas is a problem. Like the stuff he was saying in the last episode for example. Him going out next would be direct karma.

tumblr_ovsm60L4Ix1r1uq0jo1_500.gif

Skeeter49

Lot of shitting on Universe 6 in here. Personally, I really hope they stick around for the long run for real development.

Same, I don't get the mindset of people who don't want these characters in the future of Super.

Shouldn't the hope be for Toei to do something with these characters that you'll eventually like? If you don't give them the chance, or don't want the characters to have a chance, you you're not giving them a chance to have potential.

I don't like Cabba, but I hope Toei will involve him in a plot point at some point that develops his character into a direction I like. For me I think that's the relationship between Cabba and Vegeta, with Trunks and Bulma interactions with them as well.

I think each universe has a few eh characters, but whether or not they're doing well in this tournament, a lot of them have been interesting and I'd love to see more from these characters in their universes.

LotusHD

Banned
Same, I don't get the mindset of people who don't want these characters in the future of Super.

Shouldn't the hope be for Toei to do something with these characters that you'll eventually like? If you don't give them the chance, or don't want the characters to have a chance, you you're not giving them a chance to have potential.

I don't like Cabba, but I hope Toei will involve him in a plot point at some point that develops his character into a direction I like. For me I think that's the relationship between Cabba and Vegeta, with Trunks and Bulma interactions with them as well.

I think each universe has a few eh characters, but whether or not they're doing well in this tournament, a lot of them have been interesting and I'd love to see more from these characters in their universes.

Plot twist, maybe they don't like them outside of like Hit and Champa.

I agree. I really want to see U6 Namek.

V_Arnold

But how is Hit like Goku to the point of being 'rival Goku'? They have almost nothing in common. Hit is more similar to Piccolo.

I would guess it is because Hit just improves his power level whenever and however he wants to. Piccolo cant do that. Neither can any other character on the show.

(Except for Android 17, but that is because of poachers, of course.)

darklin0

Banned

Hunter x Hunter(2011), One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho for some good Shonen.
One Punch Man if you want something a bit different.

Edit: Forgot to add Jojo's Bizzare Adventure and My Hero Academia.
What is with the obsession with tails lol

People really want Giant Monkey form back or SS4. Either way, I don't get it.

Tsunamo

I watched Yu Yu the other year. It's got a similar tone to Dragon Ball/Z even though it's got a bit more of a different setup to it.

I'd highly recommend it. It's up there with DBZ in the all time shonen greats from that era (and funimation has blu-ray releases so you can enjoy it in HD now)

JohnDoe

Banned

One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho and Fist of the North Star.

NeonZ

It expands stuff on the Manga as well from what I heard like the final arc but that is because how done Togashi was due to editor interference and rushed so the studio expanded on it to salvage it

The last tournament is mostly off screen in the manga, but the manga has a big epilogue afterwards that was mostly cut from the anime. So, that's the one part of the YYH anime that's heavy on "filler". Aside from the initial ghost chapters and the epilogue, the anime also cuts some minor one shot chapters during the main series itself, like a chapter on Kurama's past and random one shot chapter where Yusuke and Kuwabara face fakes.

Also, although the anime added some humorous filler, like Koenma interacting with those oni, it also removed some humorous stuff from the manga, like most of Hiei's background reaction faces.

Go with Yu Yu Hakusho or World Trigger if you want something modern

RocknRola

Despite the heavy amount of fillers (in the anime atleast), i really liked Naruto

I had to drop it during the Shippuden fase precisely because of the excessive amount of filler. The drop in quality in the vast majority of it was just to big to deal with IMO.

daveo42

Banned
Anyone interested in shounen manga should read One Piece. Best long running series hands down. HxH is also on the list but it's like the least shounen shounen manga out there. In a good way.

Despite the heavy amount of fillers (in the anime atleast), i really liked Naruto

Naruto was good up until the filler hit. Then it went downhill from there. Then again, the manga went downhill after the timeskip, so the anime would of course suffer because the source material was bad. Still, I at least read the manga to the end. The anime I dropped because even after several years of filler, Shippuden moved at a snail's pace and still had needless filler episodes.

What's the generally expected outcome of the tournament at this point? Obviously the super dragon balls are going to fix the majority of this mess, but are we expecting a return to status quo? Reviving then combining down universes so there are technically less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom