• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J4g3r

So, Saiyan Saga Yamcha and Revival of F/Super Tien - Awesome!

Android 21 lookin' like 16's long lost sister and/or Dr. Gero's daughter.

(I posted the scans in the DB GAF Discord if you want to see them, link is in the OP)

Style

Banned
Just saw them myself, they are using Tenshinhan's outfit from Revival Of F/Dragon Ball Super instead of his Dragon Ball Z outfit. Interesting. 🤔

Fédoua Lamodière, the official Japanese-to-French translator of the DB Super manga, is not happy with Goku's treatment in the anime:

From my point of view, the characters' personalities are not very well respected overall. Goku is a unique character -- I would even say he's the best shonen hero ever -- because master Toriyama had always kept a balance between his naïve side, his thirst for battle, his loyalty towards his friends... But in Dragon Ball Super, we often have a completely stupid Goku, which wasn't the case before. And let's not mention Vegeta's case, which is really scandalous. (I'm talking about the anime, since Toyotaro on the other hand knows what respect is and I thank him for that.)

So, Saiyan Saga Yamcha and Revival of F/Super Tien - Awesome!

Android 21 lookin' like 16's long lost sister and/or Dr. Gero's daughter.

(I posted the scans in the DB GAF Discord if you want to see them, link is in the OP)

Not quite, it's Super Yamcha in his old Gi.

I can't completely disagree, at least on Goku. I kind of like Super's take on Vegeta though. He's still gruff as hell, but he's also a family man now. Something Goku never really became.

Yes, I don't subscribe to the meme that Goku doesn't love his family... but it's still pretty clear that if he had a choice, everyone would just be training and having practice matches all day and since that's not who they are, he's more than happy to ditch them for very long spans of time.

Goku is a selfish character when it comes down to it. Super's characterization is just that only more so. To the point that he's making very dumb decisions.

Just saw Android 21. She kinda looks like a fusion of these two characters in Toriyama's style :/

INK753el.jpg
s2Gjdvpl.png

caliph95

Android 21 is described as a busty scientist with glasses and long bushy hair, who looks like she’d appear in a Tales of game.
Lol she really does sound like she comes from a different franchise

Nevermind 21 looks better than I thought she would

Lol she really does sound like she comes from a different franchise

Nevermind 21 looks better than I thought she would

Yeah, that description was pretty off.
She does feel a bit more Dragon Quest than Dragon Ball though, I'd love it if Super got some more Dragon Questy looking characters.

Ydelnae

So, last month I caught the Battle of Gods movie airing on TV and it relived my interest in Dragon Ball. I was a pretty big fan when I was young (I remember getting up early everyday to see the new episodes from the Cell saga, playing every PS2 game ever released
and I even got cosplayed as Vegeta for a school festival when I was really young lol
. When Super got announced I considered watching it, but I haven't really watched any anime for years outside the new Digimon OVAs and the Final Fantasy XV anime, and since the content from the first episodes seemed really lackluster and uninspired, I ignored it. To be fair, I was sort of pissed too because I actually liked GT and Super just seemed as a retreat of DBZ content, playing it too safe.

After watching some of the BoG, I decided to give it a shot and well, I just finished the Future Trunks Saga. From watching almost no anime for years to straight up powering through +60 episodes in three weeks was weird. I want to take a little break now before catching up because I read that the following arc hasn't finished yet and I got a bit annoyed at how they ended the Zamasu plot. I'll try to sum up my thoughs regarding Super so far:

- Beerus has become one of my favorite DB characters. At first I didn't like his design but now I just see him as an essential part of the cast. I wish he got involved in fights more often and the food gag wasn't repeated that many times, but he is fine as he is. The rest of the new supporting gang is a bit meh, Zeno, Monaka and Champa are the only characters that I instantly loved. I don't understand the hype about Hit.
- They really messed up the introduction to the new SS forms. Super Saiyan God felt really uninspired design wise and I wasn't even relevant later on. I liked the idea of Super Saiyan Blue but it just comes out of nowhere in the Frieza arc and it doesn't even seem like Vegeta and Goku have actually powered up. And then, the new forms don't get used until way later, they didn't feel relevant to the overall DB story and should have been saved for later.
- The Resurrection F arc is the worst piece of DB media ever, period. There was no point in bringing Frieza back, the resolution is dumb and the only good thing I liked was the supporting cast getting some action against Frieza's minions. Maybe I disliked this saga because I'm not actually a fan of the original Z Namek saga and never understood the hype about Frieza, but almost everything about this was bad. Highlight was introducing a new Frieza form that doesn't fix his weakness, he gets wiped out two minutes after he is introduced and making the climax be him destroying the planet and then getting reversed. I was really annoyed about this whole arc.
- I liked how the Future Trunks arc kicked off, but the f was up with that ending? My initial theory regarding Black was that he was going to be Future Goten because I thought that's how they were going to set up the arc by Goten getting weirdly excluded at the beginning of the arc and I think it would have been cool to have Future Goten and Future Trunks be enemies to contrast their kid selves. But instead, the arc introduces a time paradox that doesn't even make sense and over complicates the plot for the sake of underwhelming shocking reveals. I'm used to DB taking the dumbest approach available in order to resolve its plot points, but the constant back and forth between the present-future timeline ("oh! Goku forgot the senzu beans!", "oh! Goku forgot the mafuba seal!", "oh, we forgot Zeno!") was unbearable. Vegito coming back for 7 minutes was stupid. I actually laughed at Zamasu (who I thought had a cool motivation and build up) just becoming a planet out of nowhere and killing everyone, rendering the entire arc pointless. Future Trunks and Mai being perfectly fine with living in another timeline in which they already exist and getting kicked out of the picture just like that was what broke the straw for me. Ugh, I'm still so annoyed about that.

Even though my impressions might seem overly negative, I actually enjoyed my time watching Super. It exceeded my expectations and I've actually found myself looking forward what happens in the next arc. I'm not going to lie and say that I would be perfectly okay with Goku kicking the bucket and disappearing from the series for a while, though. I was disappointed to see my favorite characters, Gohan and Piccolo, getting relegated to Android 18 status, but I feel like they are building them off to take part in the Universe Survival tournament, so maybe it will pay off. I'm also liking Vegeta's development, which made me appreciate his character more.

My main wish regarding the future of the series is that they would just get into the End of Z tournament and have a time jump to shake up things a bit. I want to see new designs for the cast and I would love to see the younger cast (Pan, Uub, Goten, Bra) getting their own adventure trip just like the early DB days and the first concept for GT. But I know that it will never happen and that we will stuck in pre End of Z for years.

TL;DR: I still have some time to catch up (almost 40 episodes), but I wanted to share my LTTP thoughts about Super with the GAF community.

Kyzer

Banned
She's French and looks to be around her 30s or so. She most definitely watched both DB and DBZ in France in the 1990s like every other people of her generation.

Thats like leaking a little pee for me

I like Homerku. I love that dbs is like the slapstick of DB + the serious universal implication fights of DBZ. The fact that Goku has reached super saiyan god and fights with the god of destruction is such a great extrapolation of the power creep and the fact that all beerus cares about is pudding just makes it A+++

what do you mean by the ROSAT event, he broke out of it to show how big is ki/dick is, it's not really important

It's very important. The first time he did it you could see just how physically exhausted he was from the training.

The second time he did it he was completely calm and in control. It gave off the impression that Vegeta had ascended to a whole other level.

Android 21.

TFS Vegeta: DO I HEAR SIX!? (or nine if you count the 7th movie.)

(for those few who don't watch, it's a running gag from the series.)

I like the design, very DQish.

21 looks like a recent Toriyama character, so she really only looks odd because the single scan we have puts her against 16, who is old school Toriyama design. She doesn't look bad, but she doesn't look like a fighter. 18 looks like a street smart brawler, 21 looks...

21 looks like a recent Toriyama character, so she really only looks odd because the single scan we have puts her against 16, who is old school Toriyama design. She doesn't look bad, but she doesn't look like a fighter. 18 looks like a street smart brawler, 21 looks...

What if it isn't even her final form

Mark1

I partially disagree about Goku's stupidity in Super. Granted it's a little bit out of character but it feels like Toei Animation are trying to harken back to how he was in the original Dragon Ball.

Kevinroc

Android 21.

TFS Vegeta: DO I HEAR SIX!? (or nine if you count the 7th movie.)

(for those few who don't watch, it's a running gag from the series.)

I like the design, very DQish.

I made a similar reference in the announcement thread over in Gaming. Glad I wasn't the only one to think of Vegeta's hatred of Trunks not being able to count how many androids there are.

Skeeter49

Slaythe

Remember when people kept telling me 17's height was fine in the game and I was overreacting ?

duqewh.jpg

"He's just far away".

No he isn't.

ItnKgb.jpg

Skeeter49

I don't remember when was the rosat event? I bet the directors dont either
The ROSAT event happened twice, so it's an ongoing thing in Super..

The first time it happened was when he went to train to fight Goku Black. He destroyed the whole ROSAT while he was inside. The lookout was a mess.

The second time was in the recruitment arc, under 20 episodes ago, so it's on the writers minds. Again he destroyed the ROSAT and ruined the lookout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom