• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baleoce

As much as I dislike Saiyaman, save for that hilarious filler two-parter, can we get Gohan back in this outfit? I mean, he has it on him at all times.

It was like the one time he wasn't ripping off someone else. Not that it was an issue when he had Piccolo's clothes, but him in the Goku ki just makes him feel like he isn't his own character.

0608e0f4ffa4cf6222b8f8d05419c453.gif

latest

At the very least bring this back.

938a7d61ed453ec5031f96f3aae0891b14c59db0_hq.jpg
Bottom one is my favourite. And Gohans face really reminds me of him as a kid there. Whereas I can barely see that in him now the way he's drawn in super.

ElFly

Yeah, them using Kyabe fucking sucks, but at least according to Castañeda, Toei is involved in making sure they use the correct names for stuff like Super Saiyajin Blue and Goku Black. Hopefully Toei will keep making sure they don't fuck up more names. Kale and Caulifla come to mind, I don't want to see them ruining their pronunciations.

Toei, please force them to say Chichi and pronounce Piccolo correctly

Toei pls

Animation in the new preview is sexy.
Hit in the dub is okay, I was kinda hoping he'd try to make his voice sound older.
Funimation completely ruined Magetta, I'm legit upset about that, what the actual fuck were they thinking? They should have just used the Japanese voice clips for him.

J4g3r

Hit in the dub is okay, I was kinda hoping he'd try to make his voice sound older.
Funimation completely ruined Magetta, I'm legit upset about that, what the actual fuck were they thinking? They should have just used the Japanese voice clips for him.

Makes you wonder how they'll handle this moment in the dub:

tu9FfFM.gif

Let's take this guy who isn't supposed to be an actual robot, just a man made of metal, and get rid of his normal human voice that just says one line that is gibberish and make him a fucking meme text to speech robot.
Great idea!
I can't believe this shit.

HeroR

Let's take this guy who isn't supposed to be an actual robot, just a man made of metal, and get rid of his normal human voice that just says one line that is gibberish and make him a fucking meme text to speech robot.
Great idea!

Personally liked Magetta's English voice. *shrugged*

Also, the Japanese voice never sound like "guy who isn't supposed to be an actual robot" to me.

CryptiK

Holy fuck thats bad, and holy fuck Champa is also bad.

HeroR

personally i thought it was hilarious and the fact that he sounds like that adds to the 'wait he's really not a robot?' factor to me

Personally, I think that was joke, which I found funny. The Japanese version have similar joke since Magetta just says the same thing over-over-over again like he's stuck in a feedback loop (or a Pokemon).

Great idea!
Im right there with you

This is a heinous crime

E: the dub doesn't give Magetta an expressive voice at all..it's literally just monotone which is really dumb

HeroR

I feel like his voice actor was cast based upon his lines from the first few episodes when it appears he might be some sort of antagonist. When really, he's just a goofier Beerus. His voice doesn't fit.

Champa is an antagonist. Doesn't matter if he's a goofier Beerus, who was also an antagonist.

Zubz

Banned
Holy fuck thats bad, and holy fuck Champa is also bad.

Nah to both.

Magetta is a minor character who only has one line. As another poster pointed out, 50% of his character is other characters doubting he's biological, so having a robot voice feeds into that rather than detracts. Plus, part of the joke is that his only line is an onomatopoeia. Having someone say it is a bit amusing, but it's downright hilarious when they go out of their way to make a machine say the word for a train moving when they can clearly just play the sound of one at that point,

And their Champa sounds goofy enough to me! He's Beerus' snotty little brother; he's got a good "whiny brat who grew up without maturing" quality to his voice. I think he was cast with that in mind, & the Dub is nailing it.

We're not getting shirtless Goku ? Riot.

That will probably come later, at the very least he's down to just his blue shirt by the time he transforms.

Nah to both.

Magetta is a minor character who only has one line. As another poster pointed out, 50% of his character is other characters doubting he's biological, so having a robot voice feeds into that rather than detracts. Plus, part of the joke is that his only line is an onomatopoeia. Having someone say it is a bit amusing, but it's downright hilarious when they go out of their way to make a machine say the word for a train moving when they can clearly just play the sound of one at that point,

And their Champa sounds goofy enough to me! He's Beerus' snotty little brother; he's got a good "whiny brat who grew up without maturing" quality to his voice. I think he was cast with that in mind, & the Dub is nailing it.
Magetta isn't supposed to be a robot, giving him a stupid fucking meme voice completely ruins it. Not only that they decided to go one step further and have him say stupid shit like "Clankity Clankity" and "Gulp gulp".
Magetta in the dub is fucking horrendous and is a pointless change that only shows a lack of respect for the source material.

Nah to both.

The problem with Magetta is that there's not going to be any expression to his voice...when he makes the surprised, shocked face when Vegeta insults him, it's literally just going to be a monotone robot voice. It won't fit at all.

Morlas

That will probably come later, at the very least he's down to just his blue shirt by the time he transforms.

Magetta isn't supposed to be a robot, giving him a stupid fucking meme voice completely ruins it. Not only that they decided to go one step further and have him say stupid shit like "Clankity Clankity" and "Gulp gulp".
Magetta in the dub is fucking horrendous and is a pointless change that only shows a lack of respect for the source material.

Yeah now i'm just gonna have to disagree with that completely...lack of respect for the source material, I think you're taking a change that you don't like too personally. Like many people have said in the past dubbing isn't about translating everything verbatim it's about adapting material in a way that makes sense and entertains the audience and while I can respect that you don't like what they did with Magetta I would never say they don't respect the original.

Yeah now i'm just gonna have to disagree with that completely...lack of respect for the source material, I think you're taking a change that you don't like too personally. Like many people have said in the past dubbing isn't about translating everything verbatim it's about adapting material in a way that makes sense and entertains the audience and while I can respect that you don't like what they did with Magetta I would never say they don't respect the original.

They turned a legitimate and interesting character (even if he's a minor character) into a complete joke. I would say that's pretty disrespectful. He's barely even a character any more, just a walking joke.

HeroR

It does matter because it should be reflected in his acting, that's his character

Doesn't changed that Champa is an antagonist and Champa sounds 'goofy' in the dub, so I am not sure what is the complaint here. That he doesn't sound enough like Beerus.

They turned a legitimate and interesting character (even if he's a minor character) into a complete joke. I would say that's pretty disrespectful.

So him saying the same phase over again wasn't a joke?

Reactions like this make me want to pull out a violin. Especially even in the original version, people were wondering if Magetta was a robot not only based on his look, but also his speech.

Adapting doesn't mean completely changing. Characters having different voices is fine and changing lines to work better in English is as well, but they completely changed Magetta into something he's not.
They took a character Toriyama created and replaced him with a meme bot. Magetta in the dub is a perfect example of what NOT to do in a dub.

HeroR

Adapting doesn't mean completely changing. Characters having different voices is fine and changing lines to work better in English is as well, but they completely changed Magetta into something he's not.
They took a character Toriyama created and replaced him with a meme bot. Magetta in the dub is a perfect example of what NOT to do in a dub.

But they didn't completely changed the character.

Seriously, turned the drama down 100. You don't like dub Magetta, fine. But "completely changing" his character. Talk about hyperbolic. Also, it isn't like Toriyama personally chose Magetta's voice. As far as you know, anime Magetta is how Toei saw his character, not Toriyama himself. So this "They took a character Toriyama created" is a little weird coming for you.

Morlas

The thing about it for me though is his voice has never really been a big part of his character for me....his body language has always been the most important part of his personality imo and Magetta's always been pretty goofy too so I don't mind if his voice is pretty jokey,

also Champa sounds perfect to me in english he's like a brattier Beerus with a whinier voice and that's pretty much jp Champa to a tee

But they didn't completely changed the character.

Seriously, turned the drama down 100. You don't like dub Magetta, fine. But "completely changing" his character. Talk about hyperbolic.

Yes they did, he's now a meme bot with zero emotion to his voice and he now stupidly announces sound effects.

Doesn't changed that Champa is an antagonist and Champa sounds 'goofy' in the dub, so I am not sure what is the complaint here. That he doesn't sound enough like Beerus.

So him saying the same phase over again wasn't a joke?

I don't really think Champa sounds good, I think the majority of the time his voice just sounds angry. I feel like he should have a more mischevious, slightly more childish voice. I mean it's ok in the dub, but I don't think it's good.

The choo po is meant to be comedic, yes, but he still has an expressive range of voice, and the choo po has no comedic precedent either. With the monotone robot voice you get zero vocal expression, which is weird in conjunction with Magettas facial expression, and the robot voice makes you think of dumb robots from the past

I accept that the funi team probably though it would be a funny decision, and it seems it was a hit with a lot of the folks here, which is fine, but I do think it makes Magetta less of a legitimate character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom