• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morlas

Thing about dub Magetta though is we've only heard him in a hyped up state so we don't know what they're gonna do for when Vegeta insults him...personally i'm curious what they come up with for the insult.

HeroR

Yes they did, he's now a meme bot with zero emotion to his voice and he now stupidly announces sound effects.

He does have emotions. Even I heard them when he talked despite doing something else while watching the episode.

I don't really think Champa sounds good, I think the majority of the time his voice just sounds angry. I feel like he should have a more mischevious, slightly more childish voice. I mean it's ok in the dub, but I don't think it's good.

The choo po is meant to be comedic, yes, but he still has an expressive range of voice, and the choo po has no comedic precedent either. With the monotone robot voice you get zero vocal expression, which is weird in conjunction with Magettas facial expression, and the robot voice makes you think of dumb robots from the past

I accept that the funi team probably though it would be a funny decision, and it seems it was a hit with a lot of the folks here, which is fine, but I do think it makes Magetta less of a legitimate character

He sounds like a loud annoying brat, which pretty much what he sounds like in Japanese. Champa is also not mischievous, so not sure why they would be in his voice, and even his Japanese voice doesn't sound 'childish', what that means in this context.

It was Pokemon speech. It was comical since he literally said nothing else and the characters thought he was a program. And his voice may sound monotone in English, but there is clearly an emotion range to it. Which is weird that people didn't noticed it when I did when I was paying half attention. And "makes you think of dumb robots from the past", was always the joke.

His expressions coupled with the robot voice makes it all the better, reminds me of TFS Android 19. He was cemented as a joke character the second Vegetables insulted him, now he's a better joke character.

Welp all I can say is the super dub keeps disappointing me

Frost, cabba and hit sound ok though

Same, some of the voices are fine, but some of the decisions and the voice direction rub me the wrong way. Doesn't help that they keep missing the point of certain lines either.
I'm not a fan of the dub honestly, feels like a step down from their Kai dub.

I love Matt Mercer and I'm totally fine with his Hit, I just wish he tried to do a bit of an older voice like the Japanese VA.

HeroR

Same, some of the voices are fine, but some of the decisions and the voice direction rub me the wrong way. Doesn't help that they keep missing the point of certain lines either.

I love Matt Mercer and I'm totally fine with his Hit, I just wish he tried to do a bit of an older voice like the Japanese VA.

*Shrugged*

Personally the Super dub shits on the Kai dub. Then again, I never was the bigger fan of the Kai dub.

Morlas

I don't really mind that he didn't despite Hit being over 1000 he never really struck me as an 'old man'

Only voice that leaves something to be desired for me so far is Frost for some reason. I warmed up to Champa more when I started hearing that the cadnece in the way he speaks often sounds like Beerus.

I kinda enjoyed Magetta's voice at first, but mulling over it the joke gets old fast and it feels like a cheap attempt to go after the TFS fanbase.

It's just a mark against the dub after being pretty faithful up to this point.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
fSYcAjc.jpg

I kinda enjoyed Magetta's voice at first, but mulling over it the joke gets old fast and it feels like a cheap attempt to go after the TFS fanbase.

It's just a mark against the dub after being pretty faithful up to this point.

Now I extra dislike it

Morlas

i dunno a normal sounding guy just going like "chugga chugga" or "choo-choo" or something would just be awkward and boring if you ask me

HeroR

You can hear it in his voice in the Japanese version, surprised you forgot.

There is no need to even dub him, they could have just used the Japanese VA like Pikachu in the Pokemon dub.

Pikachu is an extremely rare exception and they kept the same voice because it sounds cute.

Yeah, if I were to complain about anyone's voice it's Frost's.

Hit and Magetta are fine. Though I am super curious about English Jirren now.

Wow, watching those U6 tournament clips... We've came a long way. Not only animation wise, but also art direction, storyboard, and atmosphere wise.

Magwik

Banned
To be fair "Choo-po" doesn't work in English, like at all. But turning him into a text to speech meme machine isn't the best idea either. Then again I don't care about Magetta anyways so it's whatever.

I'm also convinced they told Mercer to just do more of his Jotaro/McCree voice.

Fj0823

To be fair "Choo-po" doesn't work in English, like at all. But turning him into a text to speech meme machine isn't the best idea either. Then again I don't care about Magetta anyways so it's whatever.

Wait...WHAT!?

Edit: Watched the Clip....it's like they sucked every bit of charm out of Magetta...

Morlas

I like Frost he sounds like a more two-faced pathetic frieza he's also voiced by english Frieza's brother as for Mercer he just needs to execute well and Hit will be great in english because his voice is great

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I'm hoping this Goku vs Jiren fight is really something special.

Needs to be a highlight fight.

Needs to go down as one of the "best of" DB moments.

This is one of those scenes I think about whenever I see people saying this dub was the best. They talk like robots

We're usually thinking about other, better scenes when we say it's the best. Yes, the dialogue stinks in parts, but the music is what elevates that whole dub.

There are parts of Kai that I swear sound like someone asked Aaron Sorkin to write a DBZ episode. Which on paper sounds absolutely amazing, but then I see it with the Japanese music and feel none of the weight I got from the original dub and I just can't with some of the voices (young Gohan, Goten).

I don't think Mercer has the range to get his voice like the Japanese version, so I like they're more or less letting him use his natural voice.

Doesn't changed that Champa is an antagonist and Champa sounds 'goofy' in the dub, so I am not sure what is the complaint here. That he doesn't sound enough like Beerus.

The point is that the voice seems more suited to when Champa plays a more adversarial role. As the show has progressed, he's become much more comical, goofy, and sly. When some of the funnier Champa moments come along, Champa's voice will seem out of character to me. The Japanese voice actor seems more on point to the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom