• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT8| There is no justice or evil, only survival or erasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

Was there a specific ritual used to achieve the form? Did it have a time limit after which he couldn't get back into the form?

How do we know whether
the ritual was for UNLOCKING ssg and not activating it once? Like getting a key and not having a closed door opened for you?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How do we know whether
the ritual was for UNLOCKING ssg and not activating it once? Like getting a key and not having a closed door opened for you?

Wouldn't he have just jumped back into it after it wore off when fighting Beerus? He did it for normal ssj right after doing it the first time, he went out of the form and back in, never did it with ssg. All the dialogue at the time makes it sound like a temporary form.

HeroR

Was it ever stated that Goku could never go SSG again?

If you go the movie, no since he went Super Saiyan God one last time, although Toriyama said that Super Saiyan God was an unneeded form since Goku absorbed it. In the retelling, Goku never got Super Saiyan God again after he lost it, most likely to base Super off of Toriyama's statement.

So Super Saiyan God returning this way could have been Toriyama's idea that he based off the movie for his own reasons and not the retelling. How Toei will work around that will be interesting since they could have tried to work Super Saiyan God in earlier like at the Zen'o Exhibition matches or the recruitment episodes, but didn't. So I think there is more going on than, 'Goku had this form the entire time and only chose now to used it'.

But we have to wait and see since I doubt they're going to retcon Super Saiyan God being stronger.

Slaythe

So Goku going SSJ1 is inconsistency or bad writing now, right?
Because SSJ2 is superior. And all other forms are stronger. Therefore, he can NEVER go SSJ without anyone considering it a cop-out or inconsistency or bad writing.

Jesus.

I mean, yes, it is. SSJ 1 and 2 make one another redundant. There's a reason Toriyama completely forgot about SSJ2.

It was never stated in the manga that SSJ2 had any drawback on ssj1 so it made it completely obsolete.

Eventually Toriyama realized SSJ was just more iconic and wanted to move away from SSJ2 and 3 in BoG. Toei didn't take the cue and here we are with 5256 useless forms instead of streamlining it.

There wouldn't even be anything wrong with something like this :

Base Goku, SSJ Goku

and if he decides to use god ki => base = ssg, ssj = blue

Make blue the SSJ form of SSG since SSG looks like base Goku.

But that's not AT ALL what they went for.

V_Arnold

Wouldn't he have just jumped back into it after it wore off when fighting Beerus? He did it for normal ssj right after doing it the first time, he went out of the form and back in, never did it with ssg. All the dialogue at the time makes it sound like a temporary form.

Well, its goku. The next time we saw him in any forms, he improved on it, and used Blue. Figuring something clever out with the previous form is classic Goku :p

Base Goku, SSJ Goku
But that's not AT ALL what they went for.

Yeah, this makes sense, except that now they use SSB+Kaioken*whatever as the God-SSJx equivalent. Well, it was dramatic at least for the first few times.

So Goku going SSJ1 is inconsistency or bad writing now, right?
Because SSJ2 is superior. And all other forms are stronger. Therefore, he can NEVER go SSJ without anyone considering it a cop-out or inconsistency or bad writing.

Jesus.

It's not that straightforward.
SSG causes more things that to be explained because of how Goku absorbed SSG into his base form (or was it Super Saiyan form?) in BoG. Gives the impression that SSJ/base form IS basically SSG. That didn't happen in the manga, so at least there were no problems there when SSG came back.

HeroR

It's not that straightforward.
SSG causes more things that to be explained because of how Goku absorbed SSG into his base form (or was it Super Saiyan form?) in BoG. Gives the impression that SSJ/base form IS basically SSG

Even then, in the movie he still went Super Saiyan God despite Beerus saying that Goku absorbed it (base form Goku hurt Beerus and Super Saiyan Goku matched Beerus briefly). Which confused even Beerus and Goku couldn't explained what happened.

Eylos

Banned
i think that it was suposed to be temporary, but goku is obtaining more control of the god ki and the form returned because of this.

Skeeter49

I think one context we're missing, which was in the preview,
is Goku saying his body was aching or throbbing or whatever that word was used for it. When we didn't know SSG was returning we took that as Goku getting anxious to fight again, but it might be something physical happening to Goku that's making him use SSG instead..

Omni

I think one context we're missing, which was in the preview,
is Goku saying his body was aching or throbbing or whatever that word was used for it. When we didn't know SSG was returning we took that as Goku getting anxious to fight again, but it might be something physical happening to Goku that's making him use SSG instead..

Yeah, I'm thinking something like this.

I don't think he has the form right now. It's something that is brought out again in a certain situation. I guess it just begs the question, were the circumstances during the Black arc when he was getting rekt not adequate? Though I guess he was pissed off then, after finding out his family died and whatever, and SSG is supposed to be the opposite of that. Plus the whole confusion about whether it's better than Blue but idk

I hope it makes a little bit of sense when it happens. Power levels and transformations in Super have been whack

Tsunamo

Who wouldn't? Piccolo's badass, especially in the fighting games.
Just saw this Dragonball Symphonic Adventure video on YouTube that was in my recommendations. Pretty great. There's a bunch of them on here.

https://youtu.be/EuhB1GkoxDE
Such a shame something like this would never come to Australia. It'd have to be the Faulconer Soundtrack or there'd be riots. Then again though kids who grew up on Kai may be nostalgic for the Kikuchi soundtrack one day.

CryptiK

I'd be down for the retcon that SSG is stronger than SSB.
How I always wanted it.
wouldnt be a retcon for the show.
Infact it makes a lot of sense since Goku was said to be nearly destroying the universe against beerus with SSG and if blue was stronger then all these fights there after including Zamasu should have done so as well.

Skeeter49

wouldnt be a retcon for the show.
Infact it makes a lot of sense since Goku was said to be nearly destroying the universe against beerus with SSG and if blue was stronger then all these fights there after including Zamasu should have done so as well.

What if the logic is then that
Goku didn't use it before because he didn't want to destroy the planet, but now that he's in the world of void that shouldn't be an issue. The only time he would have had to use a stronger form so far is against Kale.

I know most likely this won't happen, but there's so much more supporting SSG being stronger than if it's a form between SSJ3 and SSB. The only issue is Kaioken and where that factors in.

Pure speculation that I know has info from Super proving me wrong before I get Hero'd. Future proofing this post.

What are you people talking about, it was flat out stated in the RoF arc that Blue was superior to Red, it would be a complete retcon if they made it stronger without some other kind of factor we don't know about.
And that's
a retcon
I'd be fine with.
Though I do think it's more likely something physically wrong with Goku,
which is why the preview says his body is aching.

What are you people talking about, it was flat out stated in the RoF arc that Blue was superior to Red, it would be a complete retcon if they made it stronger without some other kind of factor we don't know about.

Well, it does have that whole healing factor going on...

Real Hero

I totally think it can make sense if
the next power up from the of SSG base, is not super Saiyan related or is a different branching path or something

Such a shame something like this would never come to Australia. It'd have to be the Faulconer Soundtrack or there'd be riots. Then again though kids who grew up on Kai may be nostalgic for the Kikuchi soundtrack one day.

I'm sooooooooooooo freaking glad that we in Germany got the original awesome and unbelievable good japanese soundtrack and not something new created like in the USA.

It's a shame that the Super soundtrack isn't even half as good and unique.

Nah. It's not.

SSJ Blue is just a form that uses God-Ki.
SSJ God is the true form but hasn't been perfected yet.

But ... it'll be another ass pull. The new form will just be Goku, with his normal hair "spiked"up.

Again that doesn't make any sense. If SSJG is stronger than Blue, why didn't he use it before? So many situations would have been better for him to at least go all out for a moment rather than shit around in a weaker form. And RoF states that Blue is above Red, so why would a lesser form need to be perfected? And even when he got it, Beerus states that Red got absorbed in his body.

In regards to the spoiler
unless Red has some huge ass drawback, why didn't he use it before in the tournament? Surely the wolf bros didn't NEED Blue. Or a few of his other fights. If they wanna conserve energy, it'd make sense to go in something weaker so you aren't draining as much, and I don't think Red would drain MORE since it's weaker in general. I'm hoping it's just someone locking out his power or something. Otherwise it's just super lame.

Zalman

Transformations have been a mess since Blue was introduced, nothing new. I'll wait and see how well they justify the form in the show before making a judgement.

Again that doesn't make any sense. If SSJG is stronger than Blue, why didn't he use it before? So many situations would have been better for him to at least go all out for a moment rather than shit around in a weaker form. And RoF states that Blue is above Red, so why would a lesser form need to be perfected? And even when he got it, Beerus states that Red got absorbed in his body.

unless Red has some huge ass drawback, why didn't he use it before in the tournament? Surely the wolf bros didn't NEED Blue. Or a few of his other fights. If they wanna conserve energy, it'd make sense to go in something weaker so you aren't draining as much, and I don't think Red would drain MORE since it's weaker in general. I'm hoping it's just someone locking out his power or something. Otherwise it's just super lame.

You're saying goku holding back doesn't make sense? It's his entire MO.

dci260

He has been shown to be a good teacher with Gohan and Goten/Trunks, so I can't blame them. I also don't think Goku would be a bad choice, but we barely saw him train Gohan and he would probably be more interested in getting himself stronger. When it comes to Vegeta, he hurt his son to the point of tears while training and often trains in upwards of 100x gravity... pass.
Or maybe everyone just wants Piccolo to become their father through training, as he did for Gohan. :')

There wouldn't even be anything wrong with something like this :

Base Goku, SSJ Goku

But that would make too much sense! We need a Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan 2 and a Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan 3 and a Super...

Well, if there was any doubt... Here's hoping the explanation isn't shit.

Waldini

None of Dragonball ever made any sense.

Goku turning SSJ God and suddenly having the form "within" him. And now, it's clear
we see SSJ God Goku standing next to hit. Why would he use that form? Beerus states that he made the power his own. Thus, he no longer needed the God transformation.

SSJ Blue might be a perfected God form .. but I don't think it is. For all we know, the Blue form is easier to use with the power-output and scaling. Goku might've found out that the God form (red hair) is the only form and allows him to put out much more power compared to Blue.

Goku turning SSJ God and suddenly having the form "within" him. And now, it's clear
we see SSJ God Goku standing next to hit. Why would he use that form? Beerus states that he made the power his own. Thus, he no longer needed the God transformation.

SSJ Blue might be a perfected God form .. but I don't think it is. For all we know, the Blue form is easier to use with the power-output and scaling. Goku might've found out that the God form (red hair) is the only form and allows him to put out much more power compared to Blue.

Like I said before, Beerus said that, after losing the form, he didn't get massively weaker, meaning he DID get weaker. And Goku was using SSJ at the time, so his base HAS to be even weaker than that, even if it's above Buu Saga SSJ3.

Also, It's not like there's NO reason to use Super Saiyan God, since it has regeneration, something no other form (not even Blue) has displayed.

In the manga, where SSJG is still a thing, Blue is always depicted as stronger, but less efficient. It'll probably be the same in the anime.

Skii

People who can't conceive Super making bad decisions are the worst. You don't have to defend everything. Just admit Super fucked up and it doesn't make sense. Toriyama isn't going to kill you in your sleep if you don't religiously stand behind Super.

Anth0ny

People who can't conceive Super making bad decisions are the worst. You don't have to defend everything. Just admit Super fucked up and it doesn't make sense. Toriyama isn't going to kill you in your sleep if you don't religiously stand behind Super.

Why do you think we have 8 threads?

It's pretty much a loop. Super does something dumb. A bunch of people shit on it. A bunch of people defend it religiously. Rinse and repeat.

You're saying goku holding back doesn't make sense? It's his entire MO.

We know he has. That's fine. But he's not holding back if he's going more when he could be going less since God is weaker than Blue.

Nah fam that's a copout. DB makes sense because it establishes a ruleset and somewhat follows it. It's when they do shit without explanation or pull goofy retcons that things get silly. The show flat out states Blue is stronger, multiple times. Beerus states that Red was absorb into his being. If they want to pull some silly stuff like
Red is stronger
or something, that's fine, but it contradicts a bunch of established stuff in the story line.
That's the problem people are having.

kuYuri

My guess is that it's probably going to be a scenario similar to the different grades of SSJ versus regular SSJ that was introduced during the Cell arc.

The form Trunks used against Cell was very powerful, but slowed the user down too much. SSJB is more powerful, but uses up too much stamina/ki compared to SSJG. I'm not saying this is definitely the reason for using SSJG versus SSJB, I'm just giving an example I made up.

I can see Goku saying SSJB is great and powerful, but feels that SSJG is the best form for that moment because of the stamina control. Some kind of call back to the Cell arc.

Skeeter49

Because some people like the decision so they have a right to defend it?
+1 for thinking it's a stupid decision.

My guess is that it's probably going to be a scenario similar to the different grades of SSJ versus regular SSJ that was introduced during the Cell arc.

The form Trunks used against Cell was very powerful, but slowed the user down too much. SSJB is more powerful, but uses up too much stamina/ki compared to SSJG. I'm not saying this is definitely the reason for using SSJG versus SSJB, I'm just giving an example I made up.

I can see Goku saying SSJB is great and powerful, but feels that SSJG is the best form for that moment because of the stamina control. Some kind of call back to the Cell arc.

then Goku should have used it from the get go instead of wasting power in blue ya know? If he really wants to fight Jiren and survive it's on his best interest to conserve stamina so shitting around in blue and THEN going Red is dumb. Especially when the show keeps browbeating about conserving energy

caliph95

then Goku should have used it from the get go instead of wasting power in blue ya know? If he really wants to fight Jiren and survive it's on his best interest to conserve stamina so shitting around in blue and THEN going Red is dumb. Especially when the show keeps browbeating about conserving energy
It's likely with one of the previews mentioning his body throbbing that it only came from this tournament.

Though I rather limit the forms he has but whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom