• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
In the volcano dungeon, after the first boss fight, where do I go to get this bottle the lady needs to fix the problem?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
They are really making ya work to just have access to vocations. 3 full dungeons plus now a slew of back to back battles? What're they gonna have me do in the present before I can finally get 'em?

Credo

Is it possible to get stuck in Regenstein?

*spoilering for sensitive people*
I talked to the old man, slept in the inn, inspected 3 glowing statues, and then talked to the old man again until he's just repeating himself now. I know I'm supposed to find a secret entrance, and I know it's just north of the lone tree on the west side of the screen. I even know the exact spot because I just watched a video of it on youtube. But I can't do anything to get it to trigger me finding the spot. I only have one save file because I trust a 3DS game in 2016 to not glitch, and I hope that's not the case, but if it is somehow the case, it looks like I've lost about 5-6 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rpmurphy

They are really making ya work to just have access to vocations. 3 full dungeons plus now a slew of back to back battles? What're they gonna have me do in the present before I can finally get 'em?
Once in the present you can change classes, and probably recommended to do so first before carrying on with the rest of the story on the island since the next boss battle is a rough one.

Aeana

I talked to the old man, slept in the inn, inspected 3 glowing statues, and then talked to the old man again until he's just repeating himself now. I know I'm supposed to find a secret entrance, and I know it's just north of the lone tree on the west side of the screen. I even know the exact spot because I just watched a video of it on youtube. But I can't do anything to get it to trigger me finding the spot. I only have one save file because I trust a 3DS game in 2016 to not glitch, and I hope that's not the case, but if it is somehow the case, it looks like I've lost about 5-6 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you stayed at the inn?
EDIT: And that below.

dcassell

Banned

Did you read the note on the bookshelf in the house where the statue of the guy pushing the door disappeared?

piggychan

I think you have to check the bookcase inside one of the houses, One of them you'll find a page telling you about a secret path.

EDIT:

Beaten to it XD

javadoze

Came across my first unfortunate spelling error...

WVW69jph34AEHhgB9V

Game has been pretty amazing so far though. Is there a guide anywhere that shows the abilities you learn through monster classes?

Kinsei

Banned
The fragment at the dig site is really bugging me. This is the first time that the radar has gone off but I'm not able to actually get the tablet yet so I'm kinda worried that i'm missing something obvious that would let me get to it.

WVW69jph34AEHhgB9V

Game has been pretty amazing so far though. Is there a guide anywhere that shows the abilities you learn through monster classes?

I'm feeling really dumb for not seeing it. What's the spelling error?

WVW69jph34AEHhgB9V

I'm assuming you mean Phial being the mistake, but it's actually a word.

phi·al
ˈfī(ə)l/
noun
noun: phial; plural noun: phials

another term for vial.

Origin
Middle English: from Old French fiole, via Latin from Greek phialē, denoting a broad flat container.

WVW69jph34AEHhgB9V

For everyone who's missing it, the Single Phial restores MP, the description text erroneously claims that it restores HP.

javadoze

Everyone's got in there before me but there is no spelling mistake here.

Okay, call me stupid, but I can't find the spelling error.

I'm assuming you mean Phial being the mistake, but it's actually a word.

phi·al
ˈfī(ə)l/
noun
noun: phial; plural noun: phials

another term for vial.

Origin
Middle English: from Old French fiole, via Latin from Greek phialē, denoting a broad flat container.

The fragment at the dig site is really bugging me. This is the first time that the radar has gone off but I'm not able to actually get the tablet yet so I'm kinda worried that i'm missing something obvious that would let me get to it.

I'm feeling really dumb for not seeing it. What's the spelling error?

Description states it restores HP while it actually restores MP (I guess the proper term here would be typo).

Heropon

So I've beaten
Gracos
in the area with three towns. How much until
I get another fourth party member? I feel incomplete.

MoonFrog

Alltrades past is done!

Going off my earlier post on the drama that episode, I've got to say I'm pleased at how thoughtful in condensed stories DQ manages to be, especially as it tends to tackle some more 'icky' subject matter and show, say, the uncomfortable contours of love, caring for someone, and being cared for.

Went with warrior for my MC to start. Planning on a healer/physical route as a traditional hero type. I'm assuming Zap is on the actual hero class?

Kouriozan

I feel like I'm very near the point where (26 hours in spoilers)
Maribel leaves the party for a looooong time.
I got the flying carpet and picked up a lot of fragments, I need to see the Hero's uncle for that stone and I can restore 2 tablets.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I don't know if my copy is faulty but having just selected the classes, only Ruff's class is levelling up...hero & maribel aren't levelling... :(

Edit, am fighting enemies just outside all trades abbey

Aeana

I don't know if my copy is faulty but having just selected the classes, only Ruff's class is levelling up...hero & maribel aren't levelling... :(

What level are they, and where are you fighting?
The game has a system where some areas have "level caps" where battles there will not count toward your class progression if your level is too high.

MegalonJJ

Banned
What level are they, and where are you fighting?
The game has a system where some areas have "level caps" where battles there will not count toward your class progression if your level is too high.

Hero is 20, Maribel is 20 and Ruff was 18, just turned 19 as I hit black belt in the martial arts class. Fighting outside alltrades abbey

zbarron

Alltrades cap is 19. If you're 20 you won't get job exp there.

Looks like you did a little too much grinding.
Is that for your highest or lowest level character? Or the character who is over 19 won't get any more.

I purposefully kept my levels as low as possible in expecting the jobs. It made the final island really hard but it's worth it now.

If anyone has experience with hybrid techniques I have some questions. On the hero for example I mastered Warrior and Dancer but I switched classes a bit between so I didn't get swords dance. How do I get it? Do I fight one battle as one class, change and do 30 battles in the other? Do the battles have to be at a level below that island's cap? Is Swords Dance even worth that hassle or should I just move on to the next job?

Oxx

It's a bit of a shock to the system looking at my phone screen after playing DQ for an extended period of time.

The resolutions!

Aeana

Is that for your highest or lowest level character? Or the character who is over 19 won't get any more.

I purposefully kept my levels as low as possible in expecting the jobs. It made the final island really hard but it's worth it now.

If anyone has experience with hybrid techniques I have some questions. On the hero for example I mastered Warrior and Dancer but I switched classes a bit between so I didn't get swords dance. How do I get it? Do I fight one battle as one class, change and do 30 battles in the other? Do the battles have to be at a level below that island's cap? Is Swords Dance even worth that hassle or should I just move on to the next job?

Yeah, as mentioned above, hybrid skills are no longer in the game. What they've done is distribute a lot of those techniques to other classes, and now you also can't learn skills from advanced classes permanently. Only monster classes can teach advanced class skills permanently.

jb1234

I'm up to the town
where animals and humans are swapped.
I'm enjoying this game a lot, more than the original, honestly. Maybe it's because I'm older, I dunno.

I thought I was burnt out on Dragon Quest after my binge of 1-4 and half of 5 last summer but I guess there's some life left in me after all. I should finish 5, haha.

Grinding jobs, mastered 5 for everyone so far. Earning slime hearts like no tomorrow. Had to start selling them once I got over 100. Seeing the shop keeper say that I will never see something like this again when I say it makes me roll my eyes.

Hugstable

Banned
When am I able to start using Monster classes? I heard I need Monster Hearts for it and I got a few Slime and a Chimera Monster Heart, but the all trades only shows regular jobs and nothing to do with monster classes.

Aeana

When am I able to start using Monster classes? I heard I need Monster Hearts for it and I got a few Slime and a Chimera Monster Heart, but the all trades only shows regular jobs and nothing to do with monster classes.

They'll show up in the list when you put the monster heart in the character's inventory.

So I've beaten
Gracos
in the area with three towns. How much until
I get another fourth party member? I feel incomplete.
You've probably gotten him already, right? Mermaid Moon, Flying Carpet, Mervyn the Magnificent. I skipped everything else and went straight for him, I was so so so tired of that empty character slot.

Aeana

ohhhh okay thank you!

Are the monster classes useful and worth giving a try? Thinking about trying a few of them on Ruff

As I mentioned above, monster classes are the only way to learn advanced class skills permanently. When you learn them on an advanced class, they're only available while on that class, but if you learn them on a monster class, you can keep them regardless of your class.

magnetic

It's a bit of a shock to the system looking at my phone screen after playing DQ for an extended period of time.

The resolutions!

Yeah, it's not only the resolution itself - I've gotten used to that after years of playing RPGs on the DS while having guides open on a retina iPad - but the very stark menus. They remind me of very early computer RPGs like Ultima (which I never played but kinda now what they look like).

Today picked up Xenoblade 3DS again and playing a game where you can save anywhere, fast travel from anywhere to anywhere at any point, regenerate health after every fight, lose absolutely nothing after dying and have quest markers showing the way feels very odd, like I'm constantly cheating or something.

I really thought that the times of playing technically outdated handheld RPGs like this were behind me. I've got my PC with Dark Souls 3 sitting there, and yet I'm pumping multiple hours each day into a game with constantly repeating NPC models, pop in trees on a world map with blurry textures and slowdown in text based menus...

And yet I still love it. Reminds me a lot of when I discovered the first Etrian Odyssey. Sometimes I just want stuff to be simple and almost archaic instead of shiny, slick and convenient.

I still enjoy Xenoblade and stuff like Fallout or Far Cry, but in those games there's almost zero consequence to anything you do and everything is as convenient as possible. Sometimes I'm totally in the mood for that, but sometimes I want a Dragon Quest, a Etrian Odyssey or a Strange Journey.

Slaythe

Could you tell us which monster heart / skills are recommended ?

Don't feel like doing this blind given the grind it demands.

Heropon

You've probably gotten him already, right? Mermaid Moon, Flying Carpet, Mervyn the Magnificent. I skipped everything else and went straight for him, I was so so so tired of that empty character slot.

Got the first two but I don't know where the hell is
my uncle
so I've been doing some fragment sidequests.

Just picked this up. Now I need to decide if I want to put Xenoblade on the back burner to play this.

Anything I should know before jumping in?

magnetic

Just picked this up. Now I need to decide if I want to put Xenoblade on the back burner to play this.

Anything I should know before jumping in?

Quick save (under the misc section in the menu) is actually a hard save that you can freely abuse. It doesn't get erased even though it kicks you out of the game after saving.

The rest can by figured out while playing, but this one is one of the most easily overlooked features.

And if you're stuck, B button is party chat and will almost always point you in the right direction. "story so far" and "recent developments" as well.

Top Bottom