• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

ElFly

I feel the backstory in DQVII is fantastic enough that the main characters don't need much of a motivation to go discover WHY THE FUCK THEIR ISLAND IS THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD

I would go to even if my life was perfect at the moment just due to natural curiosity

DQVII has one of the more compelling worlds in the saga

Raw64life

Have you not got anyone with Multiheal? I had Mervyn master Healslime for Multiheal and Zing and it's made most fights a breeze, especially when paired with my MC being a Paladin.

I only had it for Maribel
and she's currently not in the party

I did finally manage to beat him. Had Mervyn do foreberance every turn so he would absorb the entirety of his ridiculous attack and then kept zinging him back to life.

Ydelnae

Just met
Kiefer's descendant and Marinel left the party
. I hope that I can finish the game before Builders arrives, but I'm afraid I won't be able to.

Oregano

I only had Maribel
and she's currently not in the party

I did finally manage to beat him. Had Mervyn do foreberance every turn so he would absorb the entirety of his ridiculous attack and then kept zinging him back to life.

Ahh that makes sense. Maribel is my damage dealer.

I also have a pretty good strategy of Oomph + Knuckle Sandwich for my main character.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just finished the
town with the robots.
When do I get a revive spell? There was a chest that popped a dude who hit me for 57 damage, one of the enemies did some sort of demon lunge and hit me for 48 damage, and the boss hit for some 40+ damage in one hit. This was the first time a party member died and it was a bummer to have to walk all the way back before the boss.

Also, regarding tablets, are there level limits on them? And I'm sort of confused about why you run the tablet dungeons...

Wow, game is charming so far(still very early on). As a person who is new to Dragon Quest RPGs, are Dragon Quest games closer to Chrono Trigger(just played and beat for first time and was AMAZING) than Final Fantasy and other mainstream JRPGs?

Wow, game is charming so far(still very early on). As a person who is new to Dragon Quest RPGs, are Dragon Quest games closer to Chrono Trigger(just played and beat for first time and was AMAZING) than Final Fantasy and other mainstream JRPGs?

Kind of hard to say. They're not really close to Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy (or are...equally close to both of them?).

They are all very similar, but not in a bad way. They're RPG comfort food. Light and charming and typically not emo like Final Fantasy has gotten recently. All turn based, all similar spells and abilities, no major shakeups in the combat formula. All focused on individual towns with problems that you solve before moving on to the next one. There are some variations here and there, DQ8 has a more epic quest and more story focus, but generally they are pretty similar.

Just got partway into the 5th(?) Island (with all the robots lying around) after a little over 8 hours, about how much longer do I have before I unlock the classes and such? I already feel like I have to force myself to keep playing whenever I pick it up, I really can't seem myself going through with the whole thing unless something really makes itfeel more involving soon...

Mastamind

Just got partway into the 5th(?) Island (with all the robots lying around) after a little over 8 hours, about how much longer do I have before I unlock the classes and such? I already feel like I have to force myself to keep playing whenever I pick it up, I really can't seem myself going through with the whole thing unless something really makes itfeel more involving soon...

Would like to know this too since, I'm here as well. I hear people talk about things like classes and I would have expected that would have started by now.

Would like to know this too since, I'm here as well. I hear people talk about things like classes and I would have expected that would have started by now.

Adapted from a post at GameFAQs:

Start) Estard to Ballymolloy (0.5~2.5 hours, 3DS = .8~1.5 hours)
1) Ballymolloy (1.5~4 hours)
2) Emberdale (2~5 hours)
3) Regenstein (0.2~0.8 hours)
3.1) Haven (variable)
4) L'Arca (1.5~3 hours)
5) Frobisher (3~8 hours)
6) Greenthumb Gardens (2~7 hours) <-yes, it can take as long as 7, depending on whether you want to talk to every NPC after every event, because Greenthumb has a LOT of excess text, even for this game
7) Roamers (0.5~1.5 hours)

8 )Alltrades Abbey (5~15 hours) <-longest scenario in the game

His numbers are a little off...no way is Roamers potentially half an hour.

ElFly

the game is a looot shorter than the PS1 version. I assume due to the way random encounters worked on the PS1 version

e: Roamers is super short...1 hour I think

Alltrades can vary wildly depending on how high level you got there, but it is still super long

the game is a looot shorter than the PS1 version. I assume due to the way random encounters worked on the PS1 version

Actually it's potentially longer because random encounters are WORSE in dungeons in this version. So many unavoidable fights, you get in a lot more battles than in the PS1 version. Spawning right on top of you, spawning blocking narrow corridors...only the world map makes encounters easily avoidable.

Scrawnton

73 hours into the game and
i just finished awakening the four earth spirits and the almighty revealed itself to really be the demon king. I finally have access to the whole world again and I'm hoping I'm actually at the final dungeon now. I'm shocked they were able to keep the game and locations fresh this late into the game.

If you're talking about Time Travel as a major and constant plot device, no. Only VII has this amount of depth as far as TT is concerned.

Dragon Quest is just... Dragon Quest. It came first. You're basically asking if LOTR is like Harry Potter or more like ASoIaF. The games don't change too much or evolve too quickly, they always feel like an "instant classic", they're all charming and colorful, they all have at least decent stories with the better ones being exceptional. Most of the time, the stories are told in vignette form. You travel the world, solving the problems of each village in turn, and slowly uncover the underlying "bad things" that you beat at the end.

You might like VI a lot if you are enjoying VII, as it has a similar deal with a Dark World/Light World going on.

john tv

Kinda surprised at how slow and sluggish the US version is compared to the JP one. Everything involving menus is like 10-15% slower, and when there's a lot of animation on-screen (like during the fight with the four bandits near Alltrades), you can sometimes see the fps dip to like 15...and this is on a New 3DS. Sounds like DQ Builders is having the same prob now too - dunno what's up there but whoever is programming these needs to get their shit together...

Kinda surprised at how slow and sluggish the US version is compared to the JP one. Everything involving menus is like 10-15% slower, and when there's a lot of animation on-screen (like during the fight with the four bandits near Alltrades), you can sometimes see the fps dip to like 15...and this is on a New 3DS. Sounds like DQ Builders is having the same prob now too - dunno what's up there but whoever is programming these needs to get their shit together...

I don't know anything about the Japanese version but yes, the lag whenever any text boxes are on screen is just ludicrous. Interface should be the least demanding thing. Instead I'm just cursoring around and choosing the wrong things because I press down twice and it happens once because it took half a second to register one press. Animations visibly slow down when text boxes change in combat (opening the spell menu etc.). I just don't get it.

zashga

Finished the game today with around 61 hours of play time. The game is super long, and it's consistently great throughout. The soundtrack was a highlight, and the game looked pretty good on 3DS, particularly the combat animations and backgrounds. The writing was generally good, though I'm getting tired of the twee "accents" that the localization assigns to various NPCs. The Italian one in particular (occasional Italian sentences, followed immediately by the same sentence in English) is pretty obnoxious. Dragon Quest localizations have been leaning on these for while now, and it's getting tiresome. I hope they tone it down a bit for DQ11.

I also ended up spending quite a while grinding out job levels in this game; not a huge fan of the job system overall. There's a huge glut of mediocre-to-worthless skills, and I don't like how there are only three tier 3 jobs to choose from. At least if there had been four I could've had all my characters end up in different jobs. I'm also not sure how good druid actually is, since it progressed so slowly that poor Maribel was only a two-star druid at the very end of the game.

I don't mean to be too down on DQ7; my complaints are nitpicks. I really enjoyed playing the game for all 60+ hours, and I'm still super appreciative that it was localized at all, after years of uncertainty and silence. Here's hoping DQ11 isn't too terribly far away!

goldenpp72

So thanks to the aid of a gaffer I got in the final tower and fought the end boss but died by form 3. I ran out of magic and such, so at this point I wanted to ask. What are good jobs and skills to get here and the best path to them? Best place to grind job levels? I guess also where to buy the best equipment, I might just grind for the day and go at him again more prepared.

What classes give the best 'go to' moves?

Made the MC a warrior and so far he hasn't really gotten anything worthwhile. The attacks with bonus damage to dragons and flying enemies might be situationally handy at least.

Ruff is a martial artist and similar thing there, knuckle sandwich is good but it uses MP and he has a tiny pool so he runs out halfway through any boss fight. That should resolve itself as he levels up more though.

Made Maribel a priest for healing spells then I suppose I'll go mage then sage.

Made the MC a warrior and so far he hasn't really gotten anything worthwhile. The attacks with bonus damage to dragons and flying enemies might be situationally handy at least.

Ruff is a martial artist and similar thing there, knuckle sandwich is good but it uses MP and he has a tiny pool so he runs out halfway through any boss fight. That should resolve itself as he levels up more though.

Mastering sailor gets you Lightning which is insane. Hits every enemy on the field with a lot of damage (more than an Edged Boomerang) and costs 0 MP. Basically you could have everyone use it every turn and trivialize every random encounter for ages.

Shepherd gets you Counting Sheep which puts every enemy on the field to sleep for 0 MP and has a really high success rate.

Other than that everyone should master priest for healing spells and ultimately Zing to revive, and warrior end with Hatchet Man which is the go-to skill for killing metal enemies that give you tons of XP.

Mastering sailor gets you Lightning which is insane. Hits every enemy on the field with a lot of damage (more than an Edged Boomerang) and costs 0 MP. Basically you could have everyone use it every turn and trivialize every random encounter for ages.

Shepherd gets you Counting Sheep which puts every enemy on the field to sleep for 0 MP and has a really high success rate.

Other than that everyone should master priest for healing spells and ultimately Zing to revive, and warrior end with Hatchet Man which is the go-to skill for killing metal enemies that give you tons of XP.

Lightning sounds good :p

Everyone is mastered now so I'm gonna make them all sailors. After that yeah, I'll put MC and Ruff through Priest.

The ultimate end goal is to hit all the prerequisites to unlock the Master Classes.

I know the general rule of thumb for the hero in particular is to go Warrior -> Martial Aritist -> Priest because it allows you to unlock enough Intermediate Classes to ultimately also get the Hero Class after you master them.

Personally, I'm going Hero = Champion, Aishe = Champion, Maribel = Druid, and Mervyn = Hero as my endgame build.

goldenpp72

The ultimate end goal is to hit all the prerequisites to unlock the Master Classes.

I know the general rule of thumb for the hero in particular is to go Warrior -> Martial Aritist -> Priest because it allows you to unlock enough Intermediate Classes to ultimately also get the Hero Class after you master them.

Personally, I'm going Hero = Champion, Aishe = Champion, Maribel = Druid, and Mervyn = Hero as my endgame build.

Is there a chart that outlines what leads to the master classes? Been throwing darts here.

redcrayon

So thanks to the aid of a gaffer I got in the final tower and fought the end boss but died by form 3. I ran out of magic and such, so at this point I wanted to ask. What are good jobs and skills to get here and the best path to them? Best place to grind job levels? I guess also where to buy the best equipment, I might just grind for the day and go at him again more prepared.
There's great equipment on sale in the
Sea Dragon
. All very pricey though.
Metal King Sword was nice but at 75,000 gold it bloody well should be! :D

Ultimately I ran everyone through martial artist+priest=Paladin, so they could always go back to having Multiheal and Thin Air, and ended up with two characters using that at the end. Hero and Ruff also made it to Champion (fighter+martial artist=gladiator, gladiator+paladin=champion).

My strategy:
For the fight I had the hero with Oomph on him using knuckle sandwich, which only had a ~70% hit rate, or Giga Slash (which alwYs hit but cost a lot of MP). Mervyn would use forbearance to absorb attacks, but it also stops buffs being removed from everyone. He was also equipped with the salvation staff for free heals when I could get away with it. Maribel and Ruff put Magic Barrier up and then occasionally oomph/knuckle sandwich but mainly Thin Air for a guaranteed ~100 damage at zero MP cost. Basically everyone preserved their MP for healing apart from the hero spamming Giga Slash whenever oomph was up. Everyone used Multiheal if needed to spread the cost of healing. Everyone was carrying a mix of prayer rings (restore MP) magic water (restore MP), Yggdrasil Dew (full party heal) and Yggdrasil leaves (free revive). Even then I had to use the skill to have a party member sacrifice themselves to revive/total heal everyone else twice. Worth bearing in mind when things look grim.

Very much a defensive strategy, I'm sure more offensive builds can do it far quicker but after nearly 60 hours I was happy to turtle up and claim a win through sheer tenacity rather than creativity or efficiency!

I started putting Ruff as monster classes and mastering Kingfushia, Chimera, and that alligator-sea turtle thing ended up locking a monster class that not only has great stats but also has a 0 MP-cost Kaswoosh type spell similar to Sailor's lightning but does a lot more damage.

I got the classes around the 17 or so hour mark, but this is my third time playing DQ7, so YMMV.

Jacobbles

Do different slot machines have different odds?

I'm on the 100 slot machine in Buccanham and not having much luck. Are all slot machines the same?

Mr. RPG

I finally beat
HellCloud
(Aeolus Vale final boss, I can't remember his name in the remake :p).
Melvin could not survive HellCloud's big wind attack so I had to get him up another level. He's my main healer so his survival was paramount for the fight. :p I could have changed his class to something else that wouldn't reduce his HP so much (he's currently a mage), but I didn't think of that until after I leveled him up.

The fight wasn't as challenging as it was in the original game (from what I remember anyway), but it was still a fun fight. :)

I wonder if HellCloud was made easier for the remake. I know that at least one boss fight (like the one against Deathpal/Hackrobat) was changed to be significantly easier. I'm kinda interested in finding out if there are any other bosses that were changed besides Deathpal. :p

Does the Greenthumb Gardens revisit have any reward?

The lady poisoning her husband was kicked out, and I brought the other guy to Lavenders grave. Just two depressing storylines.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's funny that battles aren't random, but they might as well be in dungeons since the passages are so incredibly narrow. I'm only about 4 dungeons in but they've been so claustrophobic so far.

Jarnet87

I've only put about 4-5 hours in but it's definitely got that old school 16 bit rpg charm to it. Really wish the battles were fully in third person, but the camera switch when performing the actions help. That and the camera at times are the only negatives for me so far.

It's funny that battles aren't random, but they might as well be in dungeons since the passages are so incredibly narrow. I'm only about 4 dungeons in but they've been so claustrophobic so far.

IMO it's worse than random since you can see the enemy sitting right there and know you have no way around it. Way more frustrating than having the possibility of getting past that corridor without any encounters.

People say they like visible encounters because it makes it easier to run away from enemies...DQ7 was just not designed for that.

Aeana

IMO it's worse than random since you can see the enemy sitting right there and know you have no way around it. Way more frustrating than having the possibility of getting past that corridor without any encounters.

People say they like visible encounters because it makes it easier to run away from enemies...DQ7 was just not designed for that.

It was the exact same situation in DQ9 but for some reason people still praised that. Don't really get it.

It does at least work a little better in DQ8 3DS, since it's clear that the game was originally designed to have visible enemies before they removed them. Dungeon spaces are much larger.

I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing but I'm using all the monster hearts I have.

Sometimes I think I should be focusing on the regular human vocations...

Wait until you master Pirate.

Thin Air is real.

Well to be fair, between the small size of the world map in the PS1 version and the low encounter rate, you don't really fight on the world map in the PS1 version either unless you're traveling really far.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm stuck. Need help.

Trying to awaken the
Earth Spirit
:

I have the Eyes, Nose, Ears, I'm just missing the mouth stone. I can't find where it is and the only help through Googling shows there should be an area I can use the seal of the sands - but I don't have that in my inventory.

Haaalp

Edit: Gonna try the sands of time...

Edit 2: the solution is
waiting in front of the demon face statue until the mouth opens

mstevens

Just got Aishe and decided to do some vocation grinding for my two new characters. The dlc tablet "Sticky Business" seems really good for that!

I wish I had more monster hearts to work on the Hero, though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Are tablet pieces able to be missed, or can you not make it to the next part unless you get them all? Because I have a feeling I've missed out on something.

Are tablet pieces able to be missed, or can you not make it to the next part unless you get them all? Because I have a feeling I've missed out on something.

You can definitely not pick them up the first time you're there. But eventually you won't be able to progress and need to back track

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
lol

By accident I ended up skipping two islands. As a result I struggled with
Hubble
but it's made the previous two chapters
Providence
and
Nottagen
kind of easy.

MoonFrog

lol

By accident I ended up skipping two islands. As a result I struggled with
Hubble
but it's made the previous two chapters
Providence
and
Nottagen
kind of easy.

Yeah I skipped
Nottagen
and got stuck for a while. Turns out I hadn't gotten the tablet reward from the desert temple palace past.

You can miss some that don't come into use on the next altar, yes (see above). They aren't going to disappear or anything though.

Wurliwurm

Any tips for me to beat
ogodemir
? I collected all
4 spirits
and now i am in front of the
final boss. In my team are the MC as a pirate, Melvin as the magic knight, maribel as a priest and gabo is the class with the fire breath attacks. The levels are between 30 and 33. I am able to beat his 1st stage but the 2nd one is too strong...

Raw64life

Yeah I skipped
Nottagen
and got stuck for a while. Turns out I hadn't gotten the tablet reward from the desert temple palace past.

You can miss some that don't come into use on the next altar, yes (see above). They aren't going to disappear or anything though.

That's the only shard I got stuck on as well. The shard detector not going off unless you talk to the queen completely threw me off.

Top Bottom