• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Lux R7

This mask makes me lol every time

2016_01_20_00001.jpg

Hey I just noticed, that's my Pawn on the left! Or at least it is if she's named "Lisa." I'll look for yours when I get home and play, cheers.

Yeah, I think that's Lisa. I'll have to check the owner next time. She's been a huge help with all the buffing and healing and occasional firebomb. Tharp... uh... Daddy or whatever's Wulf is the other pawn (the one looking away from the image because of how damn stoic he is)--and he's also great, save that pawns absolutely suck at that charge-up melee move.

I haven't sent either back in a long time simply because of how good this group has worked out--a mage to keep the party alive and provide support (Lisa); a heavy, blunt-damage warrior to break armour and undead (Wulf); a tanky dude that will draw fire to him (Irval, my pawn); and my Arisen, Goreman, who is a killing machine with dagger and bow.

xHiryu

Literally dropped 6 hours and counting on DD. Havent played a game this long in literal years, finally became an assassin and its a blast. Although no one uses my pawn :(

So, what's your main/usual party composition, gaf?

My character is an assassin/mystic knight, and my main pawn is a fighter/warrior who is focusing on small monsters. I always bring a mage with me for healing and an archer/strider for the big monsters. It's quite balanced for most situation, I'd say.

Lux R7

My character is an assassin/mystic knight, and my main pawn is a fighter/warrior who is focusing on small monsters. I always bring a mage with me for healing and an archer/strider for the big monsters. It's quite balanced for most situation, I'd say.

i'm doing a second BBI run mystic knight + 2 fighters and a warrior. Hell in a cell!

Mechazawa

Assassin with Warrior pawn and I've pretty much stuck with Mage/Sorc for rental pawns the entire game.

I figured two magics is a nice counter balance to two melees and I have my bow for any flying/weak spot based stuff. Maybe I should mix it up and swap the Sorc out with a Ranger or something.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I think that's Lisa. I'll have to check the owner next time. She's been a huge help with all the buffing and healing and occasional firebomb. Tharp... uh... Daddy or whatever's Wulf is the other pawn (the one looking away from the image because of how damn stoic he is)--and he's also great, save that pawns absolutely suck at that charge-up melee move.

I haven't sent either back in a long time simply because of how good this group has worked out--a mage to keep the party alive and provide support (Lisa); a heavy, blunt-damage warrior to break armour and undead (Wulf); a tanky dude that will draw fire to him (Irval, my pawn); and my Arisen, Goreman, who is a killing machine with dagger and bow.
I'm glad she was helpful but I actually sent her down the path of Sorcerer last night because she has had Mage maxed out for ages now and actually has all the skills/augments unlocked. So enjoy those heals while they last, because once you send her back she won't have them, heh. She got a way cooler outfit in the process, though, so swings and roundabouts I guess.

I'm kinda boring in the sense that I just cover all basic directions, usually. I'm currently levelling Warrior and my Pawn is Sorcerer so I get a Mage for healing and something Strider-ish as the second Pawn. If I or my Pawn were levelling other vocations I'd similarly include vocations/paths not covered by me or my Pawn.

My Arisen is a Mystic Knight at the moment (formerly Warrior/Fighter) and my main Pawn is a Ranger. I always hire a Sorcerer for the mayhem they can cause and a Mage for the healing, however I'm probably going to stop hiring Mages and just put whatever into that extra slot. Healing with items is so quick and inexpensive so I'm starting to not really feel like I need the Mage around anymore.

Vuze

Currently still rocking Fighter (one more stamp? until maxed out) as my Arisen, Mage as my pawn and fighter/strider as other pawns. Should maybe swap the latter some day, I think I've been using Terra's pawn since forever now lol

Fasty

Just came upon a pack of goblins and I could've sworn one of them said " who let the dogs out".

That was not your imagination! It's hilarious... I wonder if the devs left it in as a joke

Has anyone hired a mage pawn named "Sidekick"? After sleeping I keep getting the music that says someone used my pawn, but I get no screen with gifts our messages :( So lonely

My pawn is getting a good amount of love :) I made the same one as I did on PS3, a female mage focused on support, she got a ton of love on PS3 too.

I originally had her a mix of support and attack, but I recently changed her to full on support and buffing, gonna see how it goes.

Also, I usually ran with a sorcerer in my group, but I'm gonna see how leaving a sorcerer out of the group goes. I feel like they make the game a little too easy once they have access to the higher skills.

Akiller

Arisen=Magick archer
Main pawn=Warrior

The other 2 are a mage and a strider.

My pawn is getting a good amount of love :) I made the same one as I did on PS3, a female mage focused on support, she got a ton of love on PS3 too.

I originally had her a mix of support and attack, but I recently changed her to full on support and buffing, gonna see how it goes.

Also, I usually ran with a sorcerer in my group, but I'm gonna see how leaving a sorcerer out of the group goes. I feel like they make the game a little too easy once they have access to the higher skills.

Yeah, this is why I never hire sorcerer pawns anymore.
Perhaps they're perfect for hardmode NG+ later, as I've never done that before.

Well then. Beat the last boss on BBI,
Daimon or whoever
. One of my cursed things was some thong >_>

Of course it went on my pawn immediately. I like the cape I found too:

Too bad the witch hat covers up her nice hair...

Speaking of pawns, I'm curious: what do y'all look for in a pawn, anyways? Like, how deep does your analysis into their abilities go?

For me, at first, appearance piqued my interest with level as the decider; now I check out skills and level and don't really care about much else. A mage with the healing spell has a huge leg up on the competition. Also, I generally check out friend's pawns first, unless I come across a cool one in the world--my favourites list is my second filter, and specific level lists are the last one.
I'm glad she was helpful but I actually sent her down the path of Sorcerer last night because she has had Mage maxed out for ages now and actually has all the skills/augments unlocked. So enjoy those heals while they last, because once you send her back she won't have them, heh. She got a way cooler outfit in the process, though, so swings and roundabouts I guess.

Eh, maybe I'll go mage/sorcerer some time. I last did it in the mid-teens, so there weren't many skills for either to take advantage of.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, maybe I'll go mage/sorcerer some time. I last did it in the mid-teens, so there weren't many skills for either to take advantage of.
I'll be switching her back to Mage as soon as. I was farming vocation ranks near the Greatwall Encampment and I didn't want her XP to go to waste on an already maxed vocation so I put her on the most natural unlevelled one.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of pawns, I'm curious: what do y'all look for in a pawn, anyways? Like, how deep does your analysis into their abilities go?

I look at their skills, mainstat, augments, inclinations, and gear. It's amazing to me how many people at HIGH LEVEL, like 50+, have pawns with no augments, or not enough to fill the list, and unupgraded skills. Some people really neglect their pawns. Sometimes I'll see an amazing pawn and it'll be like, acquisitor/pioneer or some shit. Deal breaker.

If you want a good pawn (currently a Fighter), add me on steam, same username.

I look at their skills, mainstat, augments, inclinations, and gear. It's amazing to me how many people at HIGH LEVEL, like 50+, have pawns with no augments, or not enough to fill the list, and unupgraded skills. Some people really neglect their pawns. Sometimes I'll see an amazing pawn and it'll be like, acquisitor/pioneer or some shit. Deal breaker.

Done. If you're not the Bat Man MGSV dude I've made a terrible mistake.

And man, the inclination stuff is tough. I know it influences a lot, but I have so little idea on how to control it. The inn chair doesn't do much. So I can't blame people for doing terrible things with it.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Done. If you're not the Bat Man MGSV dude I've made a terrible mistake.

And man, the inclination stuff is tough. I know it influences a lot, but I have so little idea on how to control it. The inn chair doesn't do much. So I can't blame people for doing terrible things with it.

You can buy potions that change pawn inclinations for 250 RC at the Encampment. I highly recommend reading up on what's good on the wiki.

wazoo

What deband is better : Gosato, ENB or Reshade ?

My question holds for any other preset.

I usually use reshade, it is so easy but this game seems to be open for many combinations.

Arkanius

I roll with a Strider / Mystic Archer and a Mage pawn (for healing). I then pick a Fighter / Warrior pawn and a Sorcerer pawn.

Seems pretty balanced because I can pivot on both roles (ranged and close combat) depending on the needs.

Golnei

I roll with a Strider / Mystic Archer and a Mage pawn (for healing). I then pick a Fighter / Warrior pawn and a Sorcerer pawn.

Seems pretty balanced because I can pivot on both roles (ranged and close combat) depending on the needs.

I'm doing the same at the moment, though I've started to get into Ranger for the Strider offshoot class. I guess it's a pretty boring setup, but it works.

ttlMqHT.png

Gotta get those cheevos.

And yet the thong remains gender-locked...

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know how you do debanding on ENB?
I can't confirm it myself as I haven't used ENB but this poster a few pages back reported good results:
ENB with high precision rendering + subtle noise effect = NO MORE BANDING
you can actually even see details that you couldn't see before, and it looks even better in-game, you don't see all those little specs as much as you do in this screenshot.
You can use any recent preset, just make sure high precision mode is enabled, and make sure there is an effect.txt file with the noise effect included with the ENB. Also make sure HDR is set to HIGH in the game settings of course or ENB won't work.

I set the noise effect to these so that it is very subtle:
Grain Motion = 1.0000
Grain Saturation = 1.000
Grain Intensity 0.001

you can adjust the effect by bringing up the in game ENB editor, and opening up the effect.txt tab in the shader parameters window. I also turned off Edge Smoothing and LumaSharpen in the effect.txt settings.

I have no ENB effects enabled at all so it's not really worth sharing lol

If you don't use any ENB effects at all, the FPS impact will be very small, if any at all. Just uncheck all the extra stuff like AO, DoF, BLOOM, etc, and then CHECK UseOriginalPostProcessing. It should then look like vanilla DDDA.

Vuze

What deband is better : Gosato, ENB or Reshade ?

My question holds for any other preset.

I usually use reshade, it is so easy but this game seems to be open for many combinations.
I assume ENB since it seems to actually enable a higher color depth instead of applying a filter/shader across the whole image to hide the shortcomings which tends to result in loss of details. I'm not too much into this, just what I gathered from reading several posts on the matter.

Comparison shots would be nice. So much love for the game in terms of graphical enhancements :D

I wound up not using ENB after all solely due to the fact that HDR needs to be set to High for it to work. Why is this the case? That setting makes all of the lights enormous and overly bright at night.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The best part about Dragon's Dogma is having a Waluigi Arisen + a Wario pawn and an acquaintance making a Waluigi mage to compliment our melee prowess. Diversity!

tyfbww.gif

Look at this handsome devil.
/dead

ascalon, if i recall correctly
You're adorable. :D

Yeah I was just in the Rift trying to get pawns and ugh. Tons of them have unupgraded gear, have the silver ring equipped (whyyyy), bad inclinations (more forgiveable since it's a bit more obtuse but still), terrible skills loadouts... Surefire way not to get hired, guys.

Added you, I'm going to bed but I'll probably give your pawn for a spin tomorrow.

Oh and Liquid, I hired your orc lady for a while. :) Let me know if you get a message. I think I gifted you uh... some potion or something. Don't have much. :\

And yet the thong remains gender-locked...
Visit the Black Cat for some cross-dressing-allowed lady outfits...

Cerity

I wound up not using ENB after all solely due to the fact that HDR needs to be set to High for it to work. Why is this the case? That setting makes all of the lights enormous and overly bright at night.

I still haven't missed with ENB for this but you should be able to tweak all that back to normal settings or settings you prefer yourself using ENB.

4k (well close enough to it) + a basic sweetfx profile is doing it for me for the time being. I'll get on the ENB train when I start a new char.

wazoo

Tweaking this game is fun, but the real star is the gameplay and the open world context.

I like the idea that japanese devs (Dragon Dogma, FFXV ?, Xenoblade) are moving their own ideas into the open world settings.

Ferr986

Got ambushed by a Griffin even before meeting the duke.

Managed to kill him after a long battle (even though it was mostly that my pawn that forgot he's weak to fire!). Still, That was DOPE.

Soodanim

Just had my first CTD. I probably only lost 10 minutes of progress as I wanted to change to Warrior before doing the mine tunnel.

Using a Warrior is worth it just for hitting all of the stones from anything minable in one swing. No more waiting for my pawns to use pickaxes because I'm too lazy.

Don't worry, there's a mod for that.

This mod is a must for those who are using ENB imho, as it forces you to set HDR to high and it's very distracting.
Don't Blind Me.

Mod
39-1-1453160763.png

Vanilla
39-2-1453160761.png

Vuze

ENB updated once again, without version change:
Version updated, download again
Fixed flickering detailed shadows when playing in some areas of the map. Added DisablePalette parameter to enblocal.ini which greatly decrease color banding with high precision rendering enabled (but useless in prologue).
http://enbdev.com/mod_dragonsdogma_v0297.htm

Boris just made a pretty throughout post explaining why.
It's not my problem that game utilize hdr in wrong way (the most games actually), but it's my problem to make world parameters scaling up possible without oversaturating, which can't be done with hdr=low which means no hdr. With hdr enabled game draws all 3d objects to 64 bit hdr render target, but all 2d post effects like dof, sun rays drawed in to ldr texture, but it still use linear space of hdr. Even game hud drawed to linear color space of ldr texture (wtf) and then this ldr texture is converted to gamma space at very end of frame and here the badning occurs, because pow(color, 1/2.2) for very low color produce huge error difference. Even using high precision rendering mode with 16 bit per channel ldr textures (instead of 10 bit per channel by the game) not helps to fix the issue. So game have two architectural bugs in renderer - using hdr in very limited range of intensities, using linear color space for ldr textures with gamma correction later. Even 8 bit per channel is fine, if things done properly.
http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=68768#p68768

Sounds to me like the overly bright lights are a bug caused by the second renderer bug he mentions.

found my first drake in
DevilFire Grove

he(it?) was trashing me, ressed a couple of times my pawns

i managed to expose his heart

and then he fled

YdGTmlN.gif

Top Bottom