• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DrDisrespect permanently banned from Twitch [Now Streaming on YouTube]

So from what I can gather, what happened back in 2017 was certainly inappropriate, as he admits, but in no way sexual or illegal, as Twitch's own investigation and the settlement showed, and nowhere near him being a pedo or a predator.

I get that people may judge him for his mistakes, but the amount of hyperbole being thrown around is pretty insane. 17 is above the age of consent in most countries around the world, and exchanging messages that lean towards being inappropriate is nowhere near the same as sexually assaulting a child, which is how people are interpreting this.

His career is pretty much over regardless. I just feel bad for his wife and child above anything else.

Its easy to tell who the adults are especially those with kids thinking about this perv texting their daughter and who the 13 year olds are idolizing him

I'm a young, fresh, and free of responsibilties boy in my early twenties so I can confidently say

k6QjUcu.jpeg

Last edited:

Jerm411

So from what I can gather, what happened back in 2017 was certainly inappropriate, as he admits, but in no way sexual or illegal, as Twitch's own investigation and the settlement showed, and nowhere near him being a pedo or a predator.

I get that people may judge him for his mistakes, but the amount of hyperbole being thrown around is pretty insane. 17 is above the age of consent in most countries around the world, and exchanging messages that lean towards being inappropriate is nowhere near the same as sexually assaulting a child, which is how people are interpreting this.

His career is pretty much over regardless. I just feel bad for his wife and child above anything else.
What the hell is “inappropriate” then…? I’m curious…

Red5

The hilarious thing is that against the backdrop of all the culture war going online, if Doc was on the other side of political spectrum, every single one the people defending him would be tearing his ass up.

Last edited:

night13x

I can't wait to see the incident it has on his stream when he returns. I mean, I like Dr. Disrespect persona and only through watching him you can understand he's hard worker and is constantly uplifting and encouraging his community to be proud, strong and proactive in life.

On the other hand, I despise most of Twitch and what they stand for. These two bozos are 100% mischievous and want Beahm out so they get their 2 minutes spotlight, their little moment of glory. They must be two absolute depressed losers.
exactly - and let us remind everyone that the ammo behind this whole thing was so that they could "sell more tickets" to a concert. Twitch in general is a cesspool of idiots (though admittingly you can say the same about youtube and kick).

Dude probably said a stupid side comment borderline inappropriate joke, which is whatever. But somehow hes a huge criminal, a monster, the eater of worlds. Just because these people out to get him want to believe that. But we don't have the text - but people act like they already seen it all lol.

chonga

I guess no one on the internet has ever done anything inappropriate online before. ha! This dude had some inappropriate conversations with a 17 year old.
I bet half the people calling him a ped have worse things in their search history than what this guy did.
Sounds like you've got something you want to admit to the group.

If we entertain the idea that those people are also messaging minors, all that does is make the person a hypocrite. But making that person a hypocrite doesn't admonish the act. The phrase 'two wrongs don't make a right' exists for a reason.

You can't excuse yourself out of a speeding ticket because you were just following the car in front doing the same speed.

Sleepwalker

Lol i'm sure I can find plenty of teens and young adults who can communicate better than the retarded middle aged men I've seen on here.

Yup, I'm friends with a lot of people younger than me via sports. My "peers" are all boring and or too focused on their careers and/or kids to actually have fun or be fun to interact with. Never mind the ones who are just dumb.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Where are you getting that it was in no way sexual?

Not illegal, sure, but it doesn’t take a mind reader to infer what “inappropriate” means. If there was nothing sexual about it he’d have certainly said so lol. (in my not court approved opinion)

Last edited:

CSJ

I mean this pretty much hangs on the "if he knew at the time or not", I'm just sitting back waiting for Twitch and Doc to mutually agree to a public release statement etc. (because without it, it looks worse, any way you want to put it).
Because honestly, if he didn't know at the time or too late, that's a whole different story.

Can't stand people taking either side without final, actual real evidence and not images/2nd and 3rd hand statements.
Nobody here should even be assuming anything yet either.

People are so quick to judge it's insane.

Last edited:

Pop

Twitch will never release those texts between them. That will never come out

Guarantee its just some flirting since no sexting was involved. The texts will just make Twitch look worse

Astray

They apparently paid out his full contract, which was reported to be eight figures, as part of the settlement. "He can make it back", lol. Meanwhile on GAF there's untethered rage because the price of a new game finally went up 10 bucks after a decade or two.
How do you feel now that he's admitted it?

Jerm411

I mean this pretty much hangs on the "if he knew at the time or not", I'm just sitting back waiting for Twitch and Doc to mutually agree to a public release statement etc.
Because honestly, if he didn't know at the time or too late, that's a whole different story.

Can't stand people taking either side without final, actual real evidence and not images/2nd and 3rd hand statements.

He released a statement admitting to it….how hard is this for some of you to understand?

Actual evidence? Quick to judge? What the fuck…HE SAID IT.

Sounds like you've got something you want to admit to the group.

If we entertain the idea that those people are also messaging minors, all that does is make the person a hypocrite. But making that person a hypocrite doesn't admonish the act. The phrase 'two wrongs don't make a right' exists for a reason.

You can't excuse yourself out of a speeding ticket because you were just following the car in front doing the same speed.

I'm anti-cancel culture and always have been. That's all that I have to admit. Quit making assumptions about people.
I'm not excusing his behavior, I'm just saying it's something that should be pretty easily forgiven.

IntentionalPun

I mean this pretty much hangs on the "if he knew at the time or not", I'm just sitting back waiting for Twitch and Doc to mutually agree to a public release statement etc.

If you are a full on adult and messaging people on Twitch “inappropriate” things it’s still pretty bad to simply not verify if they are a minor or not.

I mean it’s a video game streaming platform.

CSJ

He released a statement admitting to it….how hard is this for some of you to understand?

Actual evidence? Quick to judge? What the fuck…HE SAID IT.

Look I know if you read too fast you miss things but seriously, infer properly.

"Were there twitch whisper messages with an individual minor back in 2017? The answer is yes. "
"Were there", not, did he "know at the time."

I think the dude is a douche but come on.

TrueGrime

I mean this pretty much hangs on the "if he knew at the time or not", I'm just sitting back waiting for Twitch and Doc to mutually agree to a public release statement etc. (because without it, it looks worse, any way you want to put it).

I think if I put out a statement saying I did shit that was wrong and I take responsibility for it, one of the first things I'd say is that, "I didn't know she was underage". Which is nowhere in that statement.

Red5

I'm anti-cancel culture and always have been. That's all that I have to admit. Quit making assumptions about people.
I'm not excusing his behavior, I'm just saying it's something that should be pretty easily forgiven.

Don't have kids and if you do then God help them if you can so easily forgive a grown ass adult hitting on them.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So, he admits he acted inappropriately. It's unclear whether he knew she was 17 or not, and that makes a big difference in how to assess this. If he did know she was 17 and made sexual advances, that's obviously cut and dry.
I am usually super careful with my wording so I tend to read what people do not say as much as they do say and you know this statement was drafted with a lawyer looking over his shoulder

That said I would think if he didn't know her age he would have made that super clear a couple of times

IntentionalPun

So, he admits he acted inappropriately. It's unclear whether he knew she was 17 or not, and that makes a big difference in how to assess this. If he did know she was 17 and made sexual advances, that's obviously cut and dry.
He knows he’s on a platform full of kids so either way it’s idiotic at the very least.

I don’t have any desire for the guy to lose his livelihood over this personally but good chance he will, “I didn’t know she was a minor” isn’t going to fly when you are in a position with such a high chance you are in fact talking to a minor.

Where are you getting that it was in no way sexual?

Not illegal, sure, but it doesn’t take a mind reader to infer what “inappropriate” means. If there was nothing sexual about it he’d have certainly said so lol. (in my not court approved opinion)

It seems that way from his statement, but again, no way to know 100% without seeing the actual messages.

These were casual, mutual conversations that sometimes leaned too much in the direction of being inappropriate, but nothing more. Nothing illegal happened, no pictures were shared, no crimes were committed, I never even met the individual.

Don't have kids and if you do then God help them if you can so easily forgive a grown ass adult hitting on them.

I don't know any father with a 17 year old girl that wouldn't have gone over stuff like this and expect it.
There's a lot of creeps out there. But yes I could forgive ones where nothing was ever escalated and they're not like that anymore.

CSJ

I think if I put out a statement saying I did shit that was wrong and I take responsibility for it, one of the first things I'd say is that, "I didn't know she was underage". Which is nowhere in that statement.

You're right, absolutely.
But he might not have thought about the connotation, but I expect he ran it by a legal team?

IntentionalPun

Stats from your ass.

XsrhAl6.png
So many millions of minors on Twitch, got it.

You really think it’s not a streamers responsibility to make sure they aren’t inappropriately messaging minors?

Absolute basic bottom of the barrel levels of expectations there.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Some of you are just out for blood, and it's... frankly disturbing.

You should ask yourselves why that is.

It’s disturbing that people are willing to hand wave this away like it’s nothing because they like the guy. “I inappropriately texted a minor” is a pretty damning admission. But who’s out for blood? I doubt YouTUbe will ban him so who really cares? He will still be popular. I just don’t like what he did.

Pop

Any level headed person would be thinking this. Seems some here and a lot on X can't

People lie all the time about their age especially around 18. Did he know beforehand or after? Did she say she was older at first? Still some answers left

Now he shouldn't have been messaging anyone looking like her through twitch dms. Dumbass move

Edit: Yes saying he texted a minor does not mean he knew at the time of it happening. Certainly knows after the fact

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Any level headed person would be thinking this. Seems some here and a lot on X can't

People lie all the time about their age especially around 18. Did he know beforehand or after? Did she say she was older at first? Still some answers left

Now he shouldn't have been messaging anyone looking like her through twitch dms. Dumbass move

Edit: Yes saying he texted a minor does not mean he knew at the time of it happening. Certainly knows after the fact
My response to that is he should have led with that, hey she mislead me all along, she told me she was older, something

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My line on these things is simple: Were any laws broken? At a stretch, how close was the behaviour to being legally actionable or justifiable of law-enforcement investigation? The latter points leading to obvious questions like is there an identifiable pattern of behaviour, does the person involved have prior form for acting in a predatory manner? Etc.

Feel free to think what you want, avoiding or disparaging those you find morally dubious or reprehensible is your right. No question.

Its not a difficult thing to parse though. Being "icky" or "inappropriate" is a lesser infraction than a crime, less than a misdemeanour even!

Bottom line being, what sort of penalty is truly justified for simply offending our sensibilities?

Top Bottom