• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeblew

Do people get a 0.5 second pause when you hit the finish line? It kinda pauses before changing the camera view.

Yeah. A bit of lag at the finish. The only place I notice it.

Any trick to connecting to the server so I can make my club or is the server just completely down at the moment?

The view that just shows the hood of the car is the way to go. So good. Lets you take in all the scenery and be closer to the road. The speed of the game feels so good.

d9b

Banned
I dont think you are reading the same impressions.
"That being said, I'm not at all impressed with the visuals (so far). At this point I'd say Driveclub is "photogenic"; it does look fantastic in screenshots, and select videos, but not so much in person."

And this is not the first impression of this kind. All I'm saying is: it's time for me to adjust my expectations accordingly from overhype, gifs, images, articles, people on too much sugar to "let's be real and honest here". There's still time for me, have to wait till Friday.

IconGrist

When you look at the overview of the digital PS+ upgrade version (that was $49.99 USD) does anyone else still see the "BUY $59.99"? If you click on it it takes you to the store and even though it says "Start" there is still the option to buy. Is this like a glitch, maybe?

Dinjooh

I'm sitting here at school, choosing some colours for a gay bar, whilst my copy of Driveclub is at the postoffice waiting for me. Oh the agony!

Loudninja

When you look at the overview of the digital PS+ upgrade version (that was $49.99 USD) does anyone else still see the "BUY $59.99"? If you click on it it takes you to the store and even though it says "Start" there is still the option to buy. Is this like a glitch, maybe?
Have to wait until the the store update now.

tmespe

"That being said, I'm not at all impressed with the visuals (so far). At this point I'd say Driveclub is "photogenic"; it does look fantastic in screenshots, and select videos, but not so much in person."

And this is not the first impression of this kind. All I'm saying is: it's time for me to adjust my expectations accordingly from overhype, gifs, images, articles, people on too much sugar to "let's be real and honest here". There's still time for me, have to wait till Friday.

There are a lot more posts saying the game looks fantastic. Based on experiences it's pretty easy to surmise that the game looks and plays pretty damn well.

viveks86

Yeah. A bit of lag at the finish. The only place I notice it.

Any trick to connecting to the server so I can make my club or is the server just completely down at the moment?

Nope. Servers are still fucked. Managed to sneak in my club name and that's it. Couldn't even save the badge that I designed

this game is teaching me some bad habits, of bumper cars style of racing :(

that damn AI I cannot help myself but to retaliate

I was in first place I see the finish line and here comes this one AI car side by side, normally a race there is no bumping but shit I was gonna lose - bump - bounce - win

why do I get a frame rate freeze at the finish line?

need sleep

afmxl34.jpg

i disagree with this! the best way to take a turn is to hit another car and accelerate out of it

Doesn't it show you number of laps etc on the top left and right? Can you send a screenshots of your display settings? Would appreciate that
I apologize, I was wrong. I was just so into the game I didn't even notice the top left and right were still there. I've also been keeping things at a really low opacity.

What do you make of all the impressions that are gushing over the graphics? Either way, adjusting ones expectations is good. Most here seem to think it looks great.

Amazing to see such positive response to how it plays though. Hype through the roof now.

I'm really glad to see so many of you say that the controls are smooth and responsive. That was my biggest concern about this game after playing FH2 (which are also smooth and responsive).

viveks86

1) Do not judge the game visuals by the first race. Get the stars and move on. Pretend it never happened
2) Play the Chile race next
3) MOTHERFUCKING PROFIT

Seriously, WTF. Shit looks insane.

d9b

Banned
Game in motion looks more like the gifs than the screenshot grabs, the lighting during stormy skies are near photorealistic. Wait for my gifs from my share captures. :p

Now I'm back on a hype train again, damn :p

If any kind soul have US PS+ free trial code, please send me PM. Don't think I can wait till Friday. The anticipation is killing me, I want to see it and play it for myself...

benzy

Maybe it's the persons setup or tv, I dunno. I've moved up really close, about 3 ft away from my 55" screen just to see if the artifacts on the trees and environments look as bad as in some of the screen grabs posted, but the game looks cleaner on my TV than in those pics. There is still some shimmering on the car roofs and body lines, especially noticeable at night, and that is probably the worse I've seen the game look which isn't really that bad. It looks much nicer than the 720p share vids for sure.

Marlenus

DRS and KERS are only available on the McLaren P1

Does the P1 have the different settings available? I know you can manually use the KERS system but they also have an automatic deployment available which they call torque fill to hide the turbo lag. Can you use either setting or is it just manual KERS?

viveks86

Haven't been spun out by them yet. What difficulty are you playing on? They've ran into me a few times but only from behind and it just gave me an extra push.

The graphics are incredible. The game in motion looks more like the gifs than the screenshot grabs, the lighting during stormy skies are near photorealistic. Wait for my gifs from my share captures. :p

This. It's far beyond what I imagined. It really is as good as the GIFs we've made (minus the aliasing hear and there). But that's one heck of a 1080p GIF I tell ya.

JJD

So impression from gaffers have been positive?

Is the handling arcade like? I haven't played PGR, but how close the handling is to the Criterion NFS games?

nashman

Going to bed after 2 hours playing.

++ lighting and sense of speed are unmatched
+ handling is very responsive. AI while slightly predictable is tough and challenging
= the tracks are fun, the SP portion is well layed out and will keep busy for a good while(esp with tougher AI at higher levels)

- Online aint working the first night
- you could knock the # of cars and lack of customization

Does it kill forza,horizon,GT or Pcars. Maybe not but its debateable.It can hang with the big boys. The fundamentals are very good and the sense of speed and lighting make it special IMO.

fernoca

So far, more than worh it. Game's a blast. The sense of speed, the visuals, and it's fun. Like the music too. Currently listening to my songs on Music Unlimited, but I really liked the tracks I heard.

Great work by everyone at Evolution. Well worth the wait. Have the season pass, so will continue playing this for some time.

viveks86

So impression from gaffers have been positive?

Is the handling arcade like? I haven't played PGR, but how close the handling is to the Criterion NFS games?

Nowhere near NFS games. You can't play the whole game on full acceleration and handbrakes. There is a lot of nuance to the handling. I'd say 40% sim, 60% arcade.

1) Do not judge the game visuals by the first race. Get the stars and move on. Pretend it never happened
2) Play the Chile race next
3) MOTHERFUCKING PROFIT

Seriously, WTF. Shit looks insane.
This should be at the top of every page. I was completely underwhelmed by the first race, but god damn once you get to the second and beyond the game doesn't stop stunning. Just looks better with every event I do.

Seriously, everyone, don't judge it by the first race!

Glad it delivers in gameplay but can not be but disappointed with overall graphics impressions so far. Game was praised and overhyped in terms of visuals and IQ. Time to lower expectations till Friday :/

It's varied. Some stages are run on tracks without much scenery and at dusk. Those look kind of boring, just as in real life. When racing during sunlight, sunset or through amazing scenery the game lights up like nothing else.

I just played it for a few hours, and image and graphics are not my main issues. It's how uninspiring it is to navigate menus and there is none of that "HEY LETS DO THIS" you get from Forza Horizon 2.

Handling is good, music is bland. Lots of bland techno tunes I'm not into. Would love different radio channels or option to use my own music.

JJD

Nowhere near NFS games. You can't play the whole game on full acceleration and handbrakes. There is a lot of nuance to the handling. I'd say 40% sim, 60% arcade.

Well hopefully I'll adjust...looking forward to the PSN store refresh today! Hopefully GC doesn't make us wait too much!

Thanks for the answer!

IconGrist

Remote Play works really damn well. Takes a second or two to get used to the Vita's sensitive sticks and I wouldn't recommend the cockpit view but otherwise... man, it's awesome.

Guys, it's really good. Like, instant classic good.
sold...

I haven't gotten into a racer since GT3 and the original Burnout.

It's time to step back in...love the progression system and hated that all drivers tried to be Midnight club with open-world racing, good to see the perfect a track and move on system back in place, I actually might 100% this game!

KGoogle

This game is amazing, cars handle perfect and graphics are soo good I keep starring at the mountains in the background when I should be looking at the road lol

As someone who plays a lot of sims this isn't the only way to take a corner and this method is best saved for straights. I'll try to dig up my old cornering guide for iRacing.

Tbh it depends on car too.

Cars with tonnes of acceleration would benefit from slow entry, rotating towards the exit early and flooring it.

Cars which need to keep up minimum speeds through corners to maintain momentum are probably best not slowing down so much but starting the turn earlier and taking a steady,wide line

It's varied. Some stages are run on tracks without much scenery and at dusk. Those look kind of boring, just as in real life. When racing during sunlight, sunset or through amazing scenery the game lights up like nothing else.

I just played it for a few hours, and image and graphics are not my main issues. It's how uninspiring it is to navigate menus and there is none of that "HEY LETS DO THIS" you get from Forza Horizon 2.

Yep, lighting makes some locations great and dull based on conditions just like we see in real life.

jwtsonga

Not much of a racing fan but I pre-ordered the disc version of the game.

Just shipped from Dick Smith Electronics, hopefully will receive it tomorrow. Good price too at AU$50 (= US$44). Impressions on gaf seem great so far!

This should be at the top of every page. I was completely underwhelmed by the first race, but god damn once you get to the second and beyond the game doesn't stop stunning. Just looks better with every event I do.

Seriously, everyone, don't judge it by the first race!

It's a shame the snow and rain aint there day one but damn, if it was, this game would knock a lot of people's socks off. Lot of people would be playing with cold feet...

Marlenus

Looking forward to getting back in from work and playing this game :D. I cancelled my UK pre-order and got it from the US store just so I could play it a few days earlier and that was thanks to the feedback in this thread.

DBT85

Just bought the PS+ edition. Probably not going to have the time to play properly and may not even get into a club, but it looks soo pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom