• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So. Tired. One more lap... I tried Remote Play. It looks super clean but it suffers from something that looks like a low bit rate problem. The game isn't super conducive to small screen but it still looks gorgeous. Right now I'm trying to find a car view that fits me. I can't do the Cockpit View. It's too much. I freak out a little bit when a car passes me or I lose my footing when I can't see the road in front of me when drifting. HUD off is definitely the way to go, though I wish I could turn certain elements on and off.

I think I picked a damn good racer to break my 5 year drought. Next I see you GAF, the servers will be up and so will the reviews.

Buburibon

I really like it, and see myself wanting to invest some serious time into it. Controls feel very responsive, and it's just fun to play. That being said, I'm not at all impressed with the visuals (so far). At this point I'd say Driveclub is "photogenic"; it does look fantastic in screenshots, and select videos, but not so much in person. It may have something to do with the aliasing that is exacerbated by the 30fps, and the "eye tracking strobing" that cannot be helped at those frame rates. Still, like I said, I like it quite a bit. :)

TheCloser

Banned
I'm already at level 8 and this game is addicting. I only did one tour event and have been doing quick events. I spent so much time on one track in Norway trying to come first against the ai on legendary but no dice. I was finishing the track in 5:00 min flat but the ai finished at like 4:58:76 or something like that. Eventually I managed to finish first by working my way to the top of the pack by the first lap and blocking pass attempts the rest of the way. I came first with my slowest time on the track 5:04. This game is too fun but must sleep now as I need to be up in 5 hours.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Quick impressions after getting to level 4:

• Perfect handling. I love how responsive it feels.
  • The right balance of arcadey/sim is here. I'm happy with the weight of the cars so far.
  • The visuals really do carry some wow factor. Had some fireworks pop up towards the end of a race and caught myself saying "Wow" out loud.
  • This game feels 1/2 there when the servers are off, at least for now. I couldn't access clubs, etc, and the menus are all heavy on internet enabled content.
  • I really wish PS4 had custom music already. While I like the in-game tracks so far, I want to put a custom playlist in ASAP.
  • GREAT sense of speed, especially considering we're talking about 30fps.

That's it for now. Looking forward to playing more soon. Can't believe there's no replay viewer/editor here!

Tons of people were worried about graphics over gameplay, then you read impressions in this thread and gameplay praise is on par with graphical quality appreciation comments... nice day, nice job Evolution :).

Plumpman

Reviews be damned no matter what, game is phenominal.
I feel like we are back in the PGR Haydays.
Definitely buying a wheel for this too.

Can't wait to try all the social features tomorrow.

Stike

Just saw on Twitter that Rushy/Paul mentioned to someone that "pay2unlock" early has been removed due to customer demand.

Every car has to be earned by playing, no paying avaialable anymore.

Ballsy move against the trend in the industry, but I love it. Kudos, Paul!

Tons of people were worried about graphics over gameplay, then you read impressions in this thread and gameplay praise is on par with graphical quality appreciation comments... nice day, nice job Evolution :).
So far the gameplay is impressing me a lot more than the graphics. And I never thought I'd be saying that about this game. It just feels so good to play.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Okay I answered my own question. Watching Gaz's stream, and he knocked an AI into a canyon wall and in the rear-view mirror the AI car literally flipped up into the air sideways. It was beautiful. Also saw a spinout. I'm sure that'll happen more often with higher-torque vehicles, though at least from watching the driving model seems more forgiving than GT.

What!?

I need a gif of this stat!

Loudninja

Just saw on Twitter that Rushy/Paul mentioned to someone that "pay2unlock" early has been removed due to customer demand.

Every car has to be earned by playing, no paying avaialable anymore.

Ballsy move against the trend in the industry, but I love it. Kudos, Paul!
Yep posted that earlier.

The only thing I don't like is this game feels too polished gameplay wise.
8773_7468.jpeg

It's good to see people in here saying the graphics aren't everything and that it actually plays.

FeiRR

Banned
The game is an ocean of fun like Mario Kart but with realistic graphics. I'm enjoying it very much. This comes from somebody who doesn't touch sport games with a stick. Rushy and all Evo, congratulations. And now...

Nintendad

I'm pretty much terrible at racing games that aren't arcade style racers. I can't get the turning down and don't know when to Brake. The game is awesome so far though. Very unforgiving when it comes to bumping into another car. Even when they bump into me I'm losing points.

chopstik

Banned
The game is an ocean of fun like Mario Kart but with realistic graphics. I'm enjoying it very much. This comes from somebody who doesn't touch sport games with a stick. Rushy and all Evo, congratulations. And now...

first time I hear this, and I concur. it's crazy fun.

sucks I have to stop playing and get some sleep.

Shaneus

God damnit, pre-download isn't working for AU PS+. Given I wanted to play it when it unlocked, how long will it take to download? Likely to use my entire bandwidth or will it get choked up like a motherfucker?

Loudninja

God damnit, pre-download isn't working for AU PS+. Given I wanted to play it when it unlocked, how long will it take to download? Likely to use my entire bandwidth or will it get choked up like a motherfucker?
You need to dowload less than 3gb to start playing btw.

Also
I'm chasing up the PlayStationStore team to find out why not everyone has been able to start their DRIVECLUB pre-load. Will report soon.
https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/519392112295804928

Played 7 races. This game is really damn fun. Love the lighting and the controls. I haven't played a racing game in ages and I know this is going to hook me.

I'm conflicted, I love the cockpit view, but I play better in 3rd person view.

love the game btw, just finish the cayoosh trials, bumpy road is bumpy, it's pretty tense playing in cockpit view even using one of the slower starter car. I'm so glad I preorder this game straightaway.

thank you Evolution. :D

What are DRS and KERS? It's on the controller inputs but I don't know what those do since I'm not very into racing games.

On a side note, this game confirms the x button is cross and not "x." It'll always be just plain x to me, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom