• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only got a chance to play for about an hour, but man did that hour fly by! This is so much fun and graphically its just as amazing as I was led to believe. The servers were up and down, but it didn't detract much to what I was doing, just leveling up in the single player. No interruptions to the actual playing of the game. coughDestinycough.

Believe the hype. DC is fantastic!

viveks86

"Your connection to the Driveclub server has been lost. Please check your connection etc etc."

It's done this to me every since the game launched. Off and on it'll connect but 99% of the time it's not connected.

First game on PS4 I've had these kind of issues with.

Welp. Server is down for me as well :/

Launch woes man. Hang in there!

Done for the night. Been playing for 2 and a half hours. I feel like I've got a good grip on how the game controls and I've been getting better with each race. Couple thoughts from a casual racing fan before I go to bed:

-The entire thing handles so well. I am in love with the controls. I'm not the biggest fan of racing games overall but I already feel hooked on this. It's just fun to play. Really, really fun. I know a lot of people were concerned this would be a graphics over gameplay type of deal, but that couldn't be more wrong.

-The sense of speed is very real and immersive. Completely blows me away, and I love it. At one point I was laughing like a mad man because I was going stupidly fast into this corner and then somehow did the smoothest turn possible. Was such a rush.

-Graphics can be a bit weird. The game can look phenomenal in one race, and average in another. Mostly on the India tracks (see below). There's definitely some aliasing problems, but you stop noticing it after a while. Still when it looks good, it looks good. Definitely one of the best looking games I've ever played. Even the best sometimes.

-Every track on India looks way worse than all the other locations. Norway especially is on a completely different level in terms of graphics. It's a shame they chose to start the first race of the game with the completely underwhelming India track. I was quite disappointed playing the first race. Second one was a hell of a lot better and made up for it, though. And dammit Evo, I'm half Indian. Way to make me feel bad for saying all that!

-Sound design is incredible. I hope the preset for the gold headsets comes very soon because I cannot wait to try it out.

-Can't comment much on the online features at all since their servers are pretty much dead atm. Hopefully it'll be better tomorrow. Need to get friends to join my club so I can start racking up frame for it since the club is inactive until another member joins. And it seems like a lot of good cars are locked until you level up your club.

I'm going away very impressed at what Evo's accomplished here and I can already tell I'm going to put more hours into this than I ever have for another racing game. Congrats Rushy and team, you all nailed it. Now get photo mode and weather out ASAP!

CLEEK

I've a UK account, but I live in Australia.

If Sony's kit only looks at IP address ranges when deciding on when it'll pre-load I'm in like Flynn!

It's just based on PSN account region, not your actual region.

I'm in Aus and use a US account. Preloaded the game yesterday, played it when I got home from work today.

B-Dex

I made club "Best Coast". Tried to make a nature/native art symbol but the best I could do was make it all gold with a skull wearing a feather headdress. :/

It can be changed. Haha. Maybe a Hollywood theme?

If you need a club and are active during Pacific time feel free to msg me on PSN. Same as GAF name.

PS sorry if that was someone's club name wanted.

GHG

Think I'll just bite the bullet and get this from the US store when I get home in a few hours.

Wanted to wait and go physical with this game but what's the point...?

viveks86

I made club "Best Coast". Tried to make a nature/native art symbol but the best I could do was make it all gold with a skull wearing a feather headdress. :/

It can be changed. Haha. Maybe a Hollywood theme?

If you need a club and are active during Pacific time feel free to msg me on PSN. Same as GAF name.

PS sorry if that was someone's club name wanted.

Really need to level up to get more options. Made the best of what I had to fit the club title and style. lol

HORRORSHØW

Done for the night. Been playing for 2 and a half hours. I feel like I've got a good grip on how the game controls and I've been getting better with each race. Couple thoughts from a casual racing fan before I go to bed:

thanks for the impressions. as a person who doesn't play many racers, this is encouraging. it's a shame that india looks the worst, mainly because it's the one people will play with plus and that may dissuade them from purchasing the full game.

FeiRR

Banned
I've a UK account, but I live in Australia.

If Sony's kit only looks at IP address ranges when deciding on when it'll pre-load I'm in like Flynn!

Nope, my game unlocked according to PST (or whatever the US account uses). It was 9 AM right here. But I had to accept TOS once again before I could log into PSN this morning. Anybody else had it this way?

Someone talk me out of buying DC off PSN. It's almost 10pm and I could be playing in two hours but I prefer buying my games from retail. I was going to wake up at pick it up as soon as the store opens at 9am.

MJLord

image.php

No you will have to wait until friday.

That's a harsh sentence judge. Can't I just have a stretch in the iso cubes?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I truly hope the same people who designed MotorStorm's net code are not the ones who did #DriveClub's. Every single MotorStorm launch was plagued with horrible online problems.

Number45

Someone talk me out of buying DC off PSN. It's almost 10pm and I could be playing in two hours but I prefer buying my games from retail. I was going to wake up at pick it up as soon as the store opens at 9am.
Anything like this that I expect to play on and off for long periods, I bite the bullet and pick up from PSN (EU BOHICA PSN no less). DO IT!

glaurung

Get drunk and change your PSN password.

Once you sober up and try to log on, it will take you an unbearable long time to reset that shit, which will dampen your enthusiasm to buy the game.

And then you'll buy anyway, because you are weak.

red731

Sorry man, I would only encourage you to buy the dig. ver. of this game.
First game I've bought digitally because it was cheaper than retail.

Konosuke

It's a racing game, you'll want to be able to launch it quick just for a quick races. Do you really want to get up and change discs when you just want a few laps? ;D

kyser73

It's just based on PSN account region, not your actual region.

I'm in Aus and use a US account. Preloaded the game yesterday, played it when I got home from work today.

Yeah, just looked and it's still saying 2 days until playtime :(

Codeblew

Servers are borked at the moment so you might as well wait a few hours. It limits what you can do in game a bit.

Grimløck;133243484 said:
thanks for the impressions. as a person who doesn't play many racers, this is encouraging. it's a shame that india looks the worst, mainly because it's the one people will play with plus and that may dissuade them from purchasing the full game.
No problem. Same, I don't play racers often either. Last ones I played were GT5 which I hated, and Burnout Paradise which I liked a lot but didn't hold my attention for long. Yeah thinking on it now it was definitely the wrong decision to put India for free. I know I would have been completely turned off on the graphics for this game if all I saw was India by day. Looks fantastic at night, though. Every track does. Still, they should have put Canada or something instead. At least people who play the Plus version can experience just how good it feels to play. It's so much fun.

You want to run as close as possible without actually cutting the corner. I assume it allows you to run over the curbs, but anything outside of that is technically not a part of the track.

Yup. This game is unforgiving. Everything is penalized.

My first few races were an interesting experience. Especially coming off Forza Horizon 2, which is very forgiving. The fundamental concept between the two games is so extremely different that it's going to be kind of difficult jumping back and forth.

Just need the servers to go back up so we can form the club.

How do I get DC to start downloading on my PS4 which I know is on because my wife just called me at work to let me know she's watching the new season of Homeland without me on Netflix.

I redeemed an amazon code this morning. Will it automatically Download on the PS4?

kyser73

I know everyone had been talking about the sense of speed but...was just watching a Twitch stream with a guy using the off the bumper front view and holy shit! Scary fast!

GameSeeker

OK, just got up and ran a few races, so these are early impressions:

1) As almost everyone has said the driving model is excellent. Just out and out fun. Easy enough to learn, different enough for each car, but hard to master.

2) The lighting model is to die for. GT6 previously held the bar for most realistic lighting, but DriveClub blows that away. The lighting at all times of day: morning, early afternoon, late afternoon, early evening, evening, night is just fantastic. No words will describe how good the lighting model is, seeing is believing.

3) The graphics on a well calibrated large screen TV are phenomenal. There is still aliasing, but it's at low levels. When we get replay and photo mode with the aliasing completely gone, there will be no debate about which racer has the best graphics.

4) Sound. Oh, the sound. In Dolby 5.1 this is putting out engine and racing sounds that's are sublime.

5) UI - in a word excellent! Quick, easy to get around, fast loading of races, never gets in your way. The on screen customization of the HUD is excellent.

If you are playing the PS+ edition, get the upgrade while you can. Once you move out of India, the scenery looks much more spectacular.

Now back to more racing...

Shaneus

I just had the best marketing idea ever: Evo (or Sony) sets up a Cafepress-style storefront that lets you buy a t-shirt with your club's logo on it.

It has to happen!

For those who dont want to wait until tomorrow o friday to play the PS+ Edition.

Create a new Us Account, use the 14 days promo for PSN+ and download the PS+ Edition the moment is up.

Switch to your main user and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom