• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those reviews

kfE0T4r.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
A five? But how? Looked like a safe driving game to me.
Reading the review, gamespot calls the lack of rewind mechanics a "grave error" and also hates the penalties for car and track collisions.

These reviews are gonna reach full on stupid.

Edit: misread it, he didn't actually say no rewind was a grave error, but that the lack of rewind makes grave errors have you reaching for the restart button.

Reviews make sense, game is really light on content.

LOVE it though. Fantastic game.

Anyone wants to try to download it on PSN Plus Asia? I have a code here from destiny. First to quote gets it.

BrunoM

non-open world corridor racer!!!

Are we really going to be doing this now ???

I mean what are people going to say when the next GT comes out GT7 probably will look amazing comparing to even drive club and a sim and all but we going to complain that. Racing game is on a track ?

And make it sound like let's say horizon2 is doing something new?

Damn I played horizon2 10 years ago it was need for speed underground and it was a hell of a lot more fun but even then never said humm GT3 naw can't play it it's on tracks ..

Gamers and gaming journalism have gone to shit in many ways lol

Reading the review, gamespot calls the lack of rewind mechanics a "grave error" and also hates the penalties for car and track collisions.

This. Some idiotic stuff they're saying. I dont get it one day it seems reviewers get it spot on (Destiny) and the next it seems they're back to herpderp. Oh well whatever according to impressions in here I will love the game.

This digital future that everyone seems to want has only burned me and made me regret purchases.

I preordered Destiny and was let down. Same with Watch Dogs. I preordered Driveclub and while I can't say I'm let down yet, I will say that if I'd had a chance to read reviews, I might have at least tried the free version first.

Now I have these games on my hard drive that I paid full price for and can never get rid of. It's my own fault for having no patience but I may be doing a lot less preordering and buying digitally in the future.

Anyway, my first impression of Driveclub, which I go to spend only about 30 minutes with this morning, is that it's sterile. No personality. It certainly looks good and plays well but it's just not very "friendly" if that makes sense.

Wow. I legit wouldn't have purchased the game if it had a rewind mechanic.

Fuck, we need to make a thread about modern game reviews/reviewers. Lest game publishers force devs to make everything a casual, hand-holding mess.

This digital future that everyone seems to want has only burned me and made me regret purchases.

I preordered Destiny and was let down. I preordered Driveclub and while I can't say I'm let down yet, I will say that if I'd had a chance to read reviews, I might have at least tried the free version first.

Now I have these games on my hard drive that I paid full price for and can never get rid of. It's my own fault for having no patience but I may be doing a lot less preordering and buying digitally in the future.

Anyway, my first impression of Driveclub, which I go to spend only about 30 minutes with this morning, is that it's sterile. No personality. It certainly looks good and plays well but it's just not very "friendly" if that makes sense.

Should have tried the Destiny alpha/beta.
And why do you now act like you bought a turd? Try the game out FFS before judging it based on some arbitrary scores.

Jashobeam

This game is built around the whole competing clubs thing which surely can't be judged until the community has taken off right? I think reviewers should wait just like they did with the Destiny reviews.

From Craveonline:
Driveclub makes a bad first impression, starting you off in a Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG on a track in India, the least impressive of Driveclub‘s five regions (which also happens to be the one PS Plus subscribers get for free).

Gotta agree on that. I don't like the way india looks. Poor choice for PS+ Ed.

Look at some of the reviews.
Many find it too hard, unfair at times especially the penalties.
Some seem to not understand its not a sim.
Many expected it to be like Forza(rewind, open, crash fest etc)

While those point are not really valid I think many others are.
For example the lack of content, especially since this games was delayed a full year.
There is no excuse for the lack of weather, replay and photo mode at launch.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sounds like the game still wasnt ready for release :(. This is ridiculously disappointing, I'll try out the plus version, see how i feel, but the lack of content and polish is troubling. I can't see evo surviving this.

Cheech

That's not a good excuse for anything. The game should be a quality product at release.

I mean, the game spent 10 additional months in development. Ten months! I mean, Driveclub isn't reviewing like a dumpster fire, but close enough where it's time to write it off as simply not being very good.

Oh God...the comparison mentality of some of these reviewers gives me a headache. So what if it isn't an open world racer? Why is that a negative thing? Since when were closed-track racers frowned upon?

Just got back to racing. Took up cayoosh trials. UNBELIEVABLE. The scale and beauty of this track gave me goosebumps! And the sound of driving through that bridge with the crisscrossing steel beams is absolutely bonkers! I had to pause for a second because it was all too much to take in.

I'm almost in tears guys. This is it. Don't care about reviews. Give it a 4 for all I care. Whine about how the game doesn't have a track on Mars or is missing an established gameplay mode that has been fundamental to racing games since the 18th century. I DON'T CARE! I haven't even played with my club mates yet and I already know.

THIS. IS. FUCKING. IT!

This sold it for me... That raw emotion you feel is what video games are all about.

Trying to accomplish anything at work today is futile.

Thank you my friend!

I need to play the game myself and see what the reviewers mean when the game lacks soul.

And why they seem to imply it's boring.

I thought Forza 4 lacked soul and it was too mechanical in its presentation. But it was still good.

acevans2

The reasons for which the reviews bury the game don't sound like anything that will detract me from getting into it. Can't wait to play it after I pick up the physical copy.

LifEndz

I preordered Destiny and was let down. Same with Watch Dogs. I preordered Driveclub and while I can't say I'm let down yet, I will say that if I'd had a chance to read reviews, I might have at least tried the free version first.

Well if you are let down by driveclub it will have nothing to do with the digital future and you'll only have yourself to blame. Unless money is no object, or you got to play it at a convention, I don't know why anyone plus member wouldn't try the plus version prior to purchasing the full game.

As much as I like the game, I can agree with some of the critiques. It's a traditional arcade racer in the vein of PGR3. Rewind mechanics can get bent or at least available only on the easiest difficulty.

Also, why, why, why am I getting docked on collisions when I'm the one being collided into? The AI doesn't go out of its way to avoid collisions.

Mr E.

I mean what are people going to say when the next GT comes out GT7 probably will look amazing comparing to even drive club and a sim and all but we going to complain that. Racing game is on a track ?
Sounds
2 Gens old cars
Rubber band AI
No livery editor
Lack of mechanical damage
Delayed
Delayed again
Are a couple of things that might be said. I don't think racing on a track is on top of the issues pile.

its the best 5.5/10 game i have played ;)

i think knowing the patch for weather and photo mode are imminent, and the events, should uncap the scores by say end of the year.

Given the choice of spending hours with this Destiny Or Mordor, i choose this. Might change my mind after i unlock all cars dont know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom