• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

EekTheKat

I literally ran into a wall last night in that hot hatch event where you had to get a 3:05 on that course in Canada. Best I could do in the Audi was a 3:06.

Woke up this morning and had a second look at the other cars unlocked, and went back to the starter hot hatchback (Mini Cooper I think) and wound up beating it with a time of 2:59.

mhd

Neo Member
The play while you download implementation in this is kinda neat, probably the best one I've seen on a PS4 game. Being able to prioritise chunks that are downloading is a nice touch.

people are just, I dunno .. anxious? Too quick to hate?

There are more positive reviews the negative, and almost all the negative reviews point toward that now generic line of " lack of content " as the main downside. along with just plain stupid comments about what is wrong. One thing you almost never saw though was how the actual game was bad.

Hyperbole everywhere. My take away from the reviews is the game is solid, but wasn't a big enough meal for some.

Reading the reviews I felt like a lot of the reviewers weren't true racing fans. They kept wanting something "more" to keep them entertained, when all I could think of was, "the entire point of the game is the racing." Open world doesn't make the racing more fun. Different sp structure doesn't make the racing more fun. Just give me a good race!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
No, if you try to get in lane while being in the lead (at least a little), the AI tries to avoid a collision by moving to the side. If you're in the back the AI tries to hold it's position most of the time.

Ah, thank you. Going to have to see how much of an issue it is tomorrow when the game unlocks for me.

I've been sweeped off the track multiple times due to AI-controlled cars insisting on following their previous paths, and I've been playing the game for a week now.

They rarely take you in consideration when you're overtaking, too.

It's not something I'd call a terrible issue, but it does happen.

AllenShrz

Man, I can't get over how fast the loading times are. Makes me want to keep on racing (despite having work to do).

This so much.

The "just one more" mentality, I had to stop playing because it was late and I have been playing for 4 hrs without noticing.

The game is great and looks fantastic in my big TV.

The sound is good (except the music) I don't know how some people complain about it.

The servers were up for me. I snuck into the club of some random Gaffer.

edit: Also, challenges during races make me lose races. Legit.

I've been sweeped off the track multiple times due to AI-controlled cars insisting on following their previous paths, and I've been playing the game for a week now.

Really?
I only had one situation where I was forced to slightly touch another car (you don't get penalties for those), that made the AI opponent move to the side enough so I was able to take the turn without a crash into the side walls.

Has anybody tried setting a time trial with the fastest speed for the time & day and letting the game just idling? To see if it actually goes through the whole day cycle.

Reading the reviews I felt like a lot of the reviewers weren't true racing fans. They kept wanting something "more" to keep them entertained, when all I could think of was, "the entire point of the game is the racing." Open world doesn't make the racing more fun. Different sp structure doesn't make the racing more fun. Just give me a good race!

Greg and Colin said on Podcast Beyond that they could not review DC as they're not racing fans and thus it would not be fair.. it was reviewed by an IGN AU editor who they said is a huge racing fan.. so that review should be accurate (and that score was all but an 8).

I literally ran into a wall last night in that hot hatch event where you had to get a 3:05 on that course in Canada. Best I could do in the Audi was a 3:06.

Woke up this morning and had a second look at the other cars unlocked, and went back to the starter hot hatchback (Mini Cooper I think) and wound up beating it with a time of 2:59.

Always go with the mini. I rode it out for all of the beginning races. It's acceleration is really good.

jiiikoo

Banned

Thank you both for your input.

doomquake

dumb question -
is the PS Plus version released and where would I find it?

wondering if something is up, in case it is out on NA PSN. PS+ acct is valid.

thanks for your help.

darkwing

the lighting is incredible, makes the time trial race much more incredible because it can go from very sunny then to cloudy to some parts of the tracks, it's never the same!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Really?
I only had one situation where I was forced to slightly touch another car (you don't get penalties for those), that made the AI opponent move to the side enough so I was able to take the turn without a crash into the side walls.

Yup. It's the only part of the racing mechanic in this game that I'd call a little iffy.

Well, that and the whole collision penalty system. I've had moments of slight contact penalized, and I've had epic crashes ignored by the game.

Hackbert

okay, getting nervous, my order is not yet dispatched... does not look good in getting it tomorrow... anyone knows, when the plus version goes live? is it at midnight or do i have to wait til later tomorrow? and if i remember right, the savegame of plus and disc version will be compatible , right? thanks for the time.

cannot wait for a good racing game

okay, getting neervous, my order is not yet dispatched... does not look good in getting it tomorrow... anyone knows, when the plus version goes live? is it at midnight or do i have to wait til later tomorrow? and if i remember right, the savegame of plus and disc version will be compatible , right? thanks for the time.

cannot wait for a good racing game

I think it goes up with the rest of the PSN update...which essentially means "lol I dunno"

My copy just got delivered and I'm stuck at work :x

Was playing for an hour and a bit last night before bed time and I was absolutely loving it.
-The tracks were so beautiful.
-The bumpy roads of BC made me really appreciate the effort they put into the track.
-Sense of speed, even in the terrible first hot hatch mini you get, was incredible.
-Cockpit views were nice, although I'm personally more for the classic view.
-I found it much funner than I should have making a Club logo.
-Paint customization isn't anything amazing, but it's nice. It has some really good designs, and doesn't take too much effort to make something look good. I could do with some more customization, but at least there's enough to make your cars look unique.
-Sound is phenomenal
- I really look forward to playing online in the future. Have played pretty much every racing game of the last 10 years, but I have never been much of an online guy so this will be my first online racing experience

All in all, I couldn't care less what the reviews are. I find this game a 10/10, and that's what matters to me.

Not to mention it will only get better with updates. Committed to the season pass last night.

10/10 game after an hour of play? Gotcha

Going through the impressions had me like

giphy.gif

We have been redeemed! Told you guys it looks amazing and plays really good. Shame about the reviews though, they totally missed the mark on what this game actually is and what it wants to be. Case in point with the GS review siting the game is bland everything, uh wat? Anyways, the people that own the game can attest to how good it is and that's great. I hope it sells well. It can only get better from here.

EDIT: Evo made a really smart move by making a portion of the game free. This will guarantee lots of sales for people who give it a try and enjoy it.

I really love Giant Bomb, probably my favorite video game site, but I just don't get how out of the loop some video game sites are about this game. Jeff brought up how there were no weather effects and wasn't sure if weather effects were coming. A quick search prior to recording would show that yes, weather effects are coming (most likely before Christmas). This isn't a criticism of GB, but of many of the video game review outlets (and not just regarding Driveclub). Evolution for the past few months has been quite open about the game and upcoming features and if sites would look at all the info that has been revealed, things may be clearer for them. Maybe it would've benefited Evolution to send all this information via e-mail or press packets to the various outlets.

Bumper view---> all

Love the sense of speed

I've been playing around with different views, and I really like the larger (closer to windshield) in car view. That said, I want to also look at the car, cause graphics, so I occasionally switch out to behind the car view. Is there no replay mode? I wanna watch the pretty graphics.

Clockwork5

I really love Giant Bomb, probably my favorite video game site, but I just don't get how out of the loop some video game sites are about this game. Jeff brought up how there were no weather effects and wasn't sure if weather effects were coming. A quick search prior to recording would show that yes, weather effects are coming (most likely before Christmas). This isn't a criticism of GB, but of many of the video game review outlets (and not just regarding Driveclub). Evolution for the past few months has been quite open about the game and upcoming features and if sites would look at all the info that has been revealed, things may be clearer for them. Maybe it would've benefited Evolution to send all this information via e-mail or press packets to the various outlets.

I like the site but this is kind of par for the course on GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom