• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

We are working hard to get everyone online as soon as possible.
We have just released another server update that has increased the number of players racing which is good news, but in order to keep building on these numbers we will be running further updates in the coming days that will affect availability of some of the online game features.

Some functions are temporarily unavailable including challenges and social updates, but for those of you that can connect, you will still be able to participate in clubs, leaderboards and online multiplayer races.

This is in addition to the single player Tour mode, custom solo events and car customisation that are available even when you're not connected. We appreciate this isn't ideal but this is really the best way for us to improve server performance and online play for everybody, and we will be switching on these features as further progress is made.

Thanks for bearing with us and sending us your supportive comments. Believe us, we know how frustrating this is for you and we are working non-stop to find the best solution to get you all connected and racing together online.
https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/posts/708701232547573

Facebook comments are trash as always.

I said it before in another thread but I would just disable comments for everything. dont think there is a spot on the internet with public comments that is actually positive or even worth reading really. It is rare.

But yeh just sounds like they don't have the capacity to handle the loads, so working on alternative solutions to lower bandwidth needs per user.

GHG

I got connected! Online play is... typically chaotic. People actually aiming for you. Hopefully the idiots will slowly fade away.

Yeh I was hoping that wit the reviews the game would only get a following from those serious about racing games.

Apparently not... This is just like Forza.

We need to get some GAF a races going ASAP.

Add me guys: OMitchF

patchday

I got connected! Online play is... typically chaotic. People actually aiming for you. Hopefully the idiots will slowly fade away.

I think only iRacing has clean racing for online matchmaking due to them enforcing penalties (like taking away your racing license lol).

How much code would it take to do a simple system? Everytime you collide you lose points. Everytime you race clean you gain points. Then allow the hosts of the event to define how high the racing points have to be

Only huge issue is getting collided with on purpose. But its much better than nothing

iRacing actually reviews collisions when reported. But alas, iRacing charges a subscription and is fairly pricey

Anyway, I am playing this game for some light racing. Will do events will gaf for online racing

[edit] Btw, Gran Turismo works pretty well since hosts can boot

red731

Connection to server restored! Now I expect me to drop out soon, but something is happening as is written in the update.

ed: infinite loading of everything go! :D

Loudninja

To me, this sounds like... "So yeah... we still haven't found the root-cause or solution... so, we're gonna have to leave as it is for now during the weekend, cool-off a bit after 5 crazy days, and come back on Monday to keep on coding... Sorry to those who can't connect for now"
Not really sure how you read it like that.

Upinsmoke

Best complement I could pay this game is, every race there is a moment that takes your breath away. Either visually or game play wise. I remember when I first ran the Laguna Seca on GT3 in a Dodge viper, that infamous corner that banks up and then down all on one super smooth motion, when I experienced that first time, in that car it was so so good, it's just stuck with me for life. But in this game ive experienced a similar thing numerous times over different tracks, the way the corners just flow, the rise and fall in the track surface. It's unbelievably good.

To me, this sounds like... "So yeah... we still haven't found the root-cause or solution... so, we're gonna have to leave as it is for now during the weekend, cool-off a bit after 5 crazy days, and come back on Monday to keep on coding... Sorry to those who can't connect for now"

Not sure how you read "leave it as is for now" from this:

but in order to keep building on these numbers we will be running further updates in the coming days that will affect availability of some of the online game features.

So having played a lot more and seeing a lot more tracks, my one complaint is definitely the graphics. I just did an evening track where the sun was shining through the trees and the shadows cast on my windscreen were so blocky it was unreal. Not sure how that type of thing got through QA.

Some of the textures are horrible. A lot of the scenery is bland. A lot of the scenery looks really good which also makes the bad stuff stand out twice as much. It also doesn't seem to have a very good IQ for a game that's 1080p... not sure what makes it look a bit dodgy but it's definitely not as crisp as I'd expect, at least in cockpit mode.

If this was a launch title I could understand it, even though I'd still be disappointed, but after a 1 year delay? What's going on?

Surely the PS4 can do better than this.

I think part of me has been spoiled by PC racers but still, there must be some weird stuff going on under the hood to have it look this... mixed and underwhelming.

Since I'm just complaining about the graphics it means they have made a fun racing game at least.

Korezo

So having played a lot more and seeing a lot more tracks, my one complaint is definitely the graphics. I just did an evening track where the sun was shining through the trees and the shadows cast on my windscreen were so blocky it was unreal. Not sure how that type of thing got through QA.

Some of the textures are horrible. A lot of the scenery is bland. A lot of the scenery looks really good which also makes the bad stuff stand out twice as much. It also doesn't seem to have a very good IQ for a game that's 1080p... not sure what makes it look a bit dodgy but it's definitely not as crisp as I'd expect, at least in cockpit mode.

If this was a launch title I could understand it, even though I'd still be disappointed, but after a 1 year delay? What's going on?

Surely the PS4 can do better than this.

I think part of me has been spoiled by PC racers but still, there must be some weird stuff going on under the hood to have it look this... mixed and underwhelming.

Since I'm just complaining about the graphics it means they have made a fun racing game at least.

The games image quality is very dependent on the lighting condition. When its bright and sunny the picture quality is very high and sharp and shows way more detail in cockpit, but in other conditions its very soft looking sometimes looking blurry.

Hoje0308

Banned

Edit: Never mind.

Also, glad to see they are putting a priority on allowing people to access the club functions, since so few have managed to make progress in that area:

you will still be able to participate in clubs, leaderboards and online multiplayer races

ColEx

I don't like the way content (tracks) are not fully installed, even though the game has been downloaded installed from psn. I take this is the same for everyone else? I have the PS+ upgrade version.

Codeblew

I will bet money that they will be working on it over the weekend. That is how IT/IS works on rollouts and fixing production issues.

The games image quality is very dependent on the lighting condition. When its bright and sunny the picture quality is very high and sharp and shows way more detail in cockpit, but in other conditions its very soft looking sometimes looking blurry.

Yeah, it's true. I also think a lot of the time the distance (like real distant scenery) is blurry which makes the image seem less crisp.

Shame.

madmackem

Jeff Gerstmann also thinks Red Dead Redemption sucks. I like the guy but he sure has weird tastes and standards.

He also said you couldnt paint your car more than put the stickers on which takes two seconds to disprove, Im starting to question how much of this game he and most of the reviewers played.

viveks86

I will bet money that they will be working on it over the weekend. That is how IT/IS works on rollouts and fixing production issues.

Doesn't matter. Frustrated people will always find a way to throw accusations. Because… frustrations. We all deal with it in our own way. Let everyone get it out of the system. No need to counter it with rationality.

I don't know if I'm more mad or amazed that a couple a days later after not touching it the servers are down. This is easily one of the biggest cluster fucks for a game that isn't a mmo. Even BF4 online was playable for me at launch.

madmackem

I don't like the way content (tracks) are not fully installed, even though the game has been downloaded installed from psn. I take this is the same for everyone else? I have the PS+ upgrade version.

Mine was full installed had no issue like that, best thing to do is once the donwload is finished press information on the dash, alot of games download a small amount to get you playing while background download the rest.

red731

Mine was full installed had no issue like that, best thing to do is once the donwload is finished press information on the dash, alot of games download a small amount to get you playing while background download the rest.

Mine preloaded like first 3GB aka first hatch back season and the reste I let to download in standby when elsewhere.

Yup, people will believe what they want to though. When we have server issues at work the server team is in the office until they're fixed. Sometimes it's all weekend.

Alright, I've decided that this game is completely bad ass. The rookie races are okay, but once you get into the amateur races, especially the Italian Performance Cup where you have to race Ferrari's and Maseratis using a Maserati, its a whole different game. The sounds, visuals, sense of speed, and driving dynamics all come together and it hits you. This game is damn good.

You don't like that you can play the game as it downloads? If you select driveclub, press options then information, it will show the progress.

waypoetic

Banned
God damn it, just release the PS+ version! And since it's been officially tagged as a demo then you could just say that "this version does not support online play at this moment".

What's the reasoning behind this whole thing? The "regular" game is for sale on the PSN but the free [demo] game is not because there's no online? That doesn't make ANY sense!

Saberus

Yeah, it's true. I also think a lot of the time the distance (like real distant scenery) is blurry which makes the image seem less crisp.

Shame.

Nothing to be ashamed of at all, IMO, best visuals I've seen for a console racing game.

Personally you seem very dis chanted with the game, maybe return it if it's not digital, or call Sony for a refund if possible.

Nafai1123

Banned
I still can't even do that :'(

Neither can I :( I'm hoping these changes at least allow us to do that.

God damn it, just release the PS+ version! And since it's been officially tagged as a demo then you could just say that "this version does not support online play at this moment".

What's the reasoning behind this whole thing? The "regular" game is for sale on the PSN but the free [demo] game is not because there's no online? That doesn't make ANY sense!

The problem is server load. How does opening the game up to millions more copies trying to connect ease those problems for people that have already bought the game? It makes perfect sense, even if it is disappointing.

Most game sales come on day 1. The amount of people actively buying the full game is relatively small compared to the massive influx of players releasing the PS+ version would create.

KZObsessed

I've been putting off playing this game proper until the servers are up but loaded it up just to try out a couple of races and wow the handling is amazing. Realistic but forgiving and just really enjoyable to control. Love it.

I created GAF EU club if people want to join. I left it open. No worries if you're not a hardcore racing guy because I'm not either.

He clearly had no idea what he was talking about. Very disappointing. Really, a great example in why relying on a single reviewer's opinion is a terrible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom