• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
To anyone who has created a club, does the fame you earned before club creation contribute to your club, or is it only the fame earned while in the club?

Nothing to be ashamed of at all, IMO, best visuals I've seen for a console racing game.

Personally you seem very dis chanted with the game, maybe return it if it's not digital, or call Sony for a refund if possible.

Read my post again:

So having played a lot more and seeing a lot more tracks, my one complaint is definitely the graphics. I just did an evening track where the sun was shining through the trees and the shadows cast on my windscreen were so blocky it was unreal. Not sure how that type of thing got through QA.

Some of the textures are horrible. A lot of the scenery is bland. A lot of the scenery looks really good which also makes the bad stuff stand out twice as much. It also doesn't seem to have a very good IQ for a game that's 1080p... not sure what makes it look a bit dodgy but it's definitely not as crisp as I'd expect, at least in cockpit mode.

If this was a launch title I could understand it, even though I'd still be disappointed, but after a 1 year delay? What's going on?

Surely the PS4 can do better than this.

I think part of me has been spoiled by PC racers but still, there must be some weird stuff going on under the hood to have it look this... mixed and underwhelming.

Since I'm just complaining about the graphics it means they have made a fun racing game at least.

In case you missed it:

Since I'm just complaining about the graphics it means they have made a fun racing game at least.

Thinking the graphics are average = disenchanted now? (or dis chanted as you say...)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So having played a lot more and seeing a lot more tracks, my one complaint is definitely the graphics. I just did an evening track where the sun was shining through the trees and the shadows cast on my windscreen were so blocky it was unreal. Not sure how that type of thing got through QA.
Hmm, I didn't think the shadows on the windscreen were actually blocky. I'll have to stop and look a bit closer, however, as it did look strange.

darkwing

Alright, I've decided that this game is completely bad ass. The rookie races are okay, but once you get into the amateur races, especially the Italian Performance Cup where you have to race Ferrari's and Maseratis using a Maserati, its a whole different game. The sounds, visuals, sense of speed, and driving dynamics all come together and it hits you. This game is damn good.

yup, the sense of speed while you are in the 'zone', your heart pumping because any slip can be fatal

so good

oh, try driving hudless

patchday

To me, this sounds like... "So yeah... we still haven't found the root-cause or solution... so, we're gonna have to leave as it is for now during the weekend, cool-off a bit after 5 crazy days, and come back on Monday to keep on coding... Sorry to those who can't connect for now"

Yep. This is probably their first multiplayer game right?

ColEx

You don't like that you can play the game as it downloads?

I had no idea you could check how much has installed by looking at the game information from the ps4 menu screen. I thought the game was fully installed, silly me.

Its a nice feature though, but would rather have the full download before i start playing.

iFootball

Yep. This is probably their first multiplayer game right?
I will bet money that they will be working on it over the weekend. That is how IT/IS works on rollouts and fixing production issues.

Being inside an IT environment myself, I know that this is how it usually works... but in this case the issue might be different; while we could expect that Sony is supporting EVO with their overall infrastructure and software experience, this particular case looks like Evo's own code/solution (or lack of planning/engineering) is causing the problem.

With all of Sony's (and its partners) experience rolling-out huge online games, you would expect that Driveclub should've been a straightforward rollout, but it hasn't... it does seem like the ball is sitting on Evo's engineers and they are scrambling to re-code their server's logic...

As an IT/Software guy I'm very curious as to how they're handling this situation...

Being inside an IT environment myself, I know that this is how it usually works... but in this case the issue might be different; while we could expect that Sony is supporting EVO with their overall infrastructure and software experience, this particular case looks like Evo's own code/solution (or lack of planning/engineering) is causing the problem.

With all of Sony's (and its partners) experience rolling-out huge online games, you would expect that Driveclub should've been a straightforward rollout, but it hasn't... it does seem like the ball is sitting on Evo's engineers and they are scrambling to re-code their server's logic...

As an IT/Software guy I'm very curious as to how they're handling this situation...
It would be nice if fans that are knowledgeable with servers were able to help.

giphy.gif

Raven77

So when is the weather / photo mode supposed to be released? I plan to wait and pick it up then so hopefully it isn't to far out.

I've been putting off playing this game proper until the servers are up but loaded it up just to try out a couple of races and wow the handling is amazing. Realistic but forgiving and just really enjoyable to control. Love it.

I created GAF EU club if people want to join. I left it open. No worries if you're not a hardcore racing guy because I'm not either.

I also started a GAF EU club (Eau Rouge, PSN gallusgallus). Join if you want to try out this club thing - no pressure or expectations.

viveks86

To me, this sounds like... "So yeah... we still haven't found the root-cause or solution... so, we're gonna have to leave as it is for now during the weekend, cool-off a bit after 5 crazy days, and come back on Monday to keep on coding... Sorry to those who can't connect for now"

Irrational

Rational

Guess you've made it across the pond. Welcome! :)

moerser

i fucking hate the game. seriously, its not fun. on the other hand it is so addictive to try to squeeze that 0,8 seconds out somewhere on the track to get three stars i cant stop playing.

i hope they get server issues in order anytime soon. and fix the stupid ai.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So the race tracks don't seem to have flags for corners? And the flags really are 'easy right maybe' - sometimes the green corners are quite sharp, and sometimes the red ones are quite easy

cackhyena

i fucking hate the game. seriously, its not fun. on the other hand it is so addictive to try to squeeze that 0,8 seconds out somewhere on the track to get three stars i cant stop playing.

Haha, what? Pretty sure I'd sell something I hated in a heartbeat. U cray

slapnuts

Really am loving this game still....I finally got settled in with the feel of driving in this game and it's such a fun playing game and i like some of the aggressive AI but what i really like is the sense of speed this game gives off...not sure how to explain it but it feels very GOOD for a 30fps game unlike any other...well i guess PGR games kinda give that same sense of speed but DC seems to do a better job at it. The visuals and track side detail is bar none in a league of its own which sets it apart from any other racer...it just feels lush with life which gives this game a lot of "soul" i guess i can say. I really feel PGR vibes some times while playing this game which is awesome. If X1 ever gets back the PGR series i might have to buy a X1...DC gives me that PGR vibe.

Now just the thought of upcoming "weather add-on" pack along with more tracks and cars coming in the future updates have me wanting to chill out a bit until those come out lol..i really wish the weather effects were in the game now but thats ok...this gives me all the more reason to replay this game over again...or i might take it slow with this game until the weather pack gets released.

Not too sure about the "season pass" yet...i am excited to see what else Evolution has to add to this game as the free additions along with exactly comes with the paid "season pass" ...all i know is that its great to see the big amount of future support this game will have coming! This makes it well worth the 50 dollar purchase.

Those on the fence....you guys could hold out and mingle with the Plus Edition until the weather addon pack comes out and maybe a patch or two to fine tune the gameplay. A lot of people seem to forget how much support and add-ons that are coming for this game that will truly make it evolve over time. If i were on the fence about this game..i would hold out until those patches and add-on packs come out and by then maybe you could get the game at a discount price with Holidays coming and of course Black Friday...just a suggestion to those with not a lot of cash to toss around with so many nice games coming out lately.

Just got Ryse for PC too! Will get into that tonight! Man i am pretty excited for that COD game for some reason as well...i thought i was done with that series but some of those in-game visuals and effects are making me drool! lol

Peace out

nuts

Daffy Duck

Gutted I can't play the PS+ edition this weekend. I just can't bring myself to drop mo EU on it without trying it first.

It's a good job reviewers didn't do a destiny style review with this game considering the social aspect of the game.

Well there it is. Even though the network is still FUBARed apparently, I'm loving the game and hating the hating the wheel solution on the PS4 with every passing minute I play so... I bit the bullet...

BxE70uJ.png

Season pass is also pre-ordered. Now it's just a waiting game for the wheel and the servers and WEATHER!

ZK8nfBA.gif

Does anyone want to buy a used Logitech G25 set in perfect working condition?

moerser

Haha, what? Pretty sure I'd sell something I hated in a heartbeat. U cray

hate is maybe too strong of a word. im just kinda surprised at how dumb the ai is and that its really nothing more than a barebones racer. but i like racing games. all in all there are more good than bad things about driveclub.

barit

Coming back from work. Firing up DriveClub. Servers still down. WTF ? I mean come on Sony/Evo, really ? Weekend is here and millions of DriveClub owners waiting for that online carnage. Even Diablo 3 ran after 3 days <.<

wapplew

Well there it is. Even though the network is still FUBARed apparently, I'm loving the game and hating the hating the wheel solution on the PS4 with every passing minute I play so... I bit the bullet...

BxE70uJ.png

Season pass is also pre-ordered. Now it's just a waiting game for the wheel and the servers and WEATHER!

ZK8nfBA.gif

Does anyone want to buy a used Logitech G25 set in perfect working condition?

Wow, $399...this or buy another PS4 to play with?

Trigonx

Been doing the tour event Punching above your weight for last 30 min and just got 47.025 sec. Soooo close, soony.

edit: 40 more minutes later I destroyed my old time and posted 46.092 lap time. It felt great to finally to nail all the turns.

Loving this game because of that one more race/lap feeling.

They sprinkled crack into the game. Its the only explanation.

Haven't really fiended this bad for a game in a while, but that's all the more reason I'd like to wait for the servers to be stabilized, where I can get the full experience.

In the meanwhile I've been playing Horizon 2, which is amazing and fun, but I can't help wanting to jump back into DriveClub. Have yet to have that sensation from the other way round, and really that was not supposed to happen ;p

Its that mixture of track design, glorious environments, crazy sense of speed, flawless cockpit view, and actually demanding racing and time trails.

I honestly have no idea how people can call this game soulless. No fluff, no festival atmosphere and no DJs and no running narration on how cool you are? Ok. Yes. Sure, But soulless? Only for those who don't love cars and racing with technique.

Wow, $399...this or buy another PS4 to play with?

Having play all of last gen with a wheel it's I feel empty playing without one. I'll starve myself for two weeks until i get this baby! It'll be worth it.

For anyone who have never played a racing game with a wheel, it's like having an epiphany.

Nafai1123

Banned

Are you a masochist? :p

le-seb

I'm afraid of what the answer to this is.
Nobody answered yet?
The answer is no.

When you're creating a club, it starts at level 0 (inactive), and you need someone else to join it to reach level 1 and being active.
And only then does the fame earned by the players while online (I think) level up the club.

wapplew

Having play all of last gen with a wheel it's I feel empty playing without one. I'll starve myself for two weeks until i get this baby! It'll be worth it.

For anyone who have never played a racing game with a wheel, it's like having an epiphany.

I want a wheel too, but $399 just too much, T80 no force feed back is out of the question.
I guess I have to stick with DS4 gyro for the moment.

So… Can someone verify this? Found it on the other thread. Are they locking down more sales until they fix it?

Driveclub-full-game-upgrade.jpg
[/IMG]

I've noticed that since I own the PS+ upgrade it says the regular version is not available for purchase. Not sure if that screenshot was taken in the same scenario

Guymelef

So… Can someone verify this? Found it on the other thread. Are they locking down more sales until they fix it?

[/IMG]

Maybe he/she is PS+ subscriber and only has option to buy upgrade version.
When I pre ordered PS+ upgrade, normal version looked like that pic.

They sprinkled crack into the game. Its the only explanation.

Haven't really fiended this bad for a game in a while, but that's all the more reason I'd like to wait for the servers to be stabilized, where I can get the full experience.

In the meanwhile I've been playing Horizon 2, which is amazing and fun, but I can't help wanting to jump back into DriveClub. Have yet to have that sensation from the other way round, and really that was not supposed to happen ;p

Its that mixture of track design, glorious environments, crazy sense of speed, flawless cockpit view, and actually demanding racing and time trails.

I honestly have no idea how people can call this game soulless. No fluff, no festival atmosphere and no DJs and no running narration on how cool you are? Ok. Yes. Sure, But soulless? Only for those who don't love cars and racing with technique.

racer with gimmicks = soulful
--- without = soulless

You have both fh2 and driveclub and you still enjoying the hell out of driveclub and may even have a preference over fh2? Consider me sold on this game

[/IMG]

If you have Plus this will be what you see. I read that somewhere on PSN (not sure where).

I think they do this so you don't accidentally by the full price version. You have to go to the PS Plus area to buy it at the discount price. I'll check again later when I get home.

Something is clearly wrong with Sony, their infrastructure and the studios, The Last of Us Remastered did'nt worked either when it launched.

Beyond that is the fact that up to just a couple of months ago, almost everything about this game was shady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom