• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Footos22

Review threads are always like this.

Did someone say evo should be closed down yet ?

Yeah, like the first page. since when is a 7.5 bad

Forza 5 only got 79 and easily the worst in the series content wise and dont hear many bad things about that.

VanWinkle

I love review threads. A website is unprofessional and awful if they don't review a game you like positively. You guys wouldn't be criticizing these sites if they liked Driveclub. Face it - Driveclub might just be a decent game at best.

So you just missed all of the 8+ review scores?

nib95

Banned
I wonder if any of them will update their reviews once the weather patch and photo mode hits? Guessing not, but Lolygon do update reviews from time to time.

Some are very surprise like Polygon, because I cannot see how it will score higher than FH2 with that contents. So it isn't about what graphics or contents it had, but more of how it feel on driving and the gameplay.

Phil Kollar, for all the shit he got for 7.5 TLoU, is actually a decent reviewer when it comes to racing games. He understands the fundamentals of racing games and isn't blind-sided by the 'checklist' of racing games like drivelines, etc.

Ain't gonna lie. I'm loving this thread :)

But thank goodness for the PS+ version of DC. It's good that we can check this out for ourselves to see if a purchase is worth it, because these review scores are telling me to proceed with caution.

Smurf

Banned
74/100 is pretty good isn't it? So much doom and gloom for a solid racer that seems to be a lot of fun.

As the major and perhaps only (?) PS4 exclusive for the busy final quarter I don't think "solid" and "ok" really cut it. Especially considering the year delay, I expected a bit more but at least the PS Plus version will be there to dispel any doubts should reviewers have given it a raw deal.
The release day review embargo concerns me though, it just screams from Sonys part "this isn't as good as you expect".

Wow! Genuinely surprised at the low(ish) scores. After reading the mainly glowing impressions from journalists and fellow gaffers alike up to the launch and in the OT I was confident the game would have ended up with at least 80 on metacritic. Still 74 as it stands right now, is not exactly bad. Just like Alien Isolation the range in the scores are really wide. I'm still optimistic I will like the game. Can't wait for the ps+ release on Friday (I'm in the UK) - gives me the weekend to test drive it and decide for myself whether the full game is worth it or not. Thanks Sony!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yep.

No rewind feature is a negative all of a sudden?

Off track penalties are frowned upon.

No driving line is a negative.

But i get it, coming from Forza Horizon 2 which doesn't punish you for your mistakes and will hold your hand if you let it, the move to this game would be quite jarring if you are not a competent racer who understands fundamental driving techniques.

I'll wait to see what the likes of inside sim racing have to say about this.

God forbid someone who isn't a competent racer try to play a racing game. How dare they attempt to learn and how dare the developers give them options to teach themself. If you aren't a racing pro you don't deserve to play Driveclub.

People are insane, that must be it. I can't understand how everyone loses their shit over review scores.

Thankfully there's a bigish 'demo' to try but yeah everyone continue to lose your shit on both sides.

I wonder if any of them will update their reviews once the weather patch and photo mode hits? Guessing not, but Lolygon do update reviews from time to time.

Metacritic always counts the first review, so if the game is updated with a better score, it won't matter to the average metacritic score anyway...

Fbh

Yea, just drop down to 900p, and use that extra 180p on gameplay, and still have graphical parity... Right?

What?

I'm not talking about resolution. Im talking about,for example, spending less time and money making sure Infamous looks amazing and a bit more making sure there are actually fun things to do outside of the already dissappointingly short 9-10 hours main story

Hugstable

Banned
They are not.

People are overreacting about 2 scores lol. Other opinions seem to be a good 7-8 experience which is great if you actually use the full review scale. Plus people need to put more faith into user impressions as well as reviews and not base whether they want the game or not just based off of media reviews.

Audioboxer

Don't have (and will probably never get) PS+.

Go to the Destiny give away you 30 day PS+ trial code topic and get one for free, try the game, profit.

It's pretty easy to get a free PS+ trial code these days, they don't stack on existing subs and Sony ram the codes into nearly every 1st party or major title so many people are sitting on codes they can't use.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Does anyone else feel like reviewers are being much harsher this generation? It feels like an incredibly negative industry.

maybe, but if 7 is the new average then the scale is still broken.

the industry doesn't feel negative just slightly less unrelentingly praising.

flkraven

at no point did I suggest collusion but
there needs to be an industry standard.

Reviews are all over the place for games lately, there is no criteria for objective quality anymore

But that's the point. There doesn't need to be an industry standard. Reviews are different things to different people, and not everyone may like what a reviewer abiding by this standard has to say. Find a reviewer that you seem to share similar interests in and that reviews games in a way that you perceive as fair, and just follow that guy.

Yeah pure nonsense. Forza Horizon 2 didn't have a mixed reception at all. There were only 3 reviews that were 7.0-7.5 and one of them was Polygon's who have the original a 6. The ret of the 60+ reviews were 8-10.

Also, Naughty Dog games and many others review just fine.

m@cross

Allison-Brie-Oh-God-Now.gif

Keep trolling bro.....

cnorwood

Banned
So like Destiny this game is going to do ok in the reviews but probably sell pretty well(assuming this game gets a lot of the GT audience). I really hope it does to show how obsolete game reviews are

Tell that to Destiny, friend. Anything below an 85 is considered a disaster by most people.

Which is a stupid mentality to have.

Any AAA game which does not get above 85 will raise eyebrows giving the history of review scores in the past. It's not because people think 7/10 is a bad score, it's because video game review trends suggests that 7/10 is a bad score. However, it looks like this is starting to change this gen thank god.

Are you kidding me?

Reading this:

"Driveclub is the fear of risks and the embrace of the ordinary. It's basic racing in basic packaging, beautiful and inert and full of attractive cars. It is not, however, an argument for a new generation of driving, given how it fails to exceed the standards of the old one."

is like reading a Lars Von Trier film review, a full of metaphors snob review that hides behind cheap literature to give a low score without having a real,understandable reason.

StoopKid

Yeah, like the first page. since when is a 7.5 bad

Forza 5 only got 79 and easily the worst in the series content wise and dont hear many bad things about that.

Yea I'm just starting to read the first cpl pages.

Reviews threads are so good lol.

Seanspeed

Banned
Didn't you also try it, and what were your impressions as a more "hardcore" racing fan?
I thought it felt pretty good. I don't like super arcade handling models and DriveClub was pleasantly far away from that, even if its not a sim. I thought it looked great. I enjoyed the two tracks I drove. And I dealt with a laughable rubberband AI in one of the races(which I see no mention of in the reviews, so hopefully that's been fixed).

So it was quite positive overall.

It was just a very tiny slice of the game, though. Got a taste of the handling model, the graphics and two of the tracks. A proper demo isn't enough to know how fun the full game will be to play. And that goes with most games.

I dunno. It depends on what you want out of a racing game, I guess. If its on PS+, I'm sure enough people will get to try it out for themselves. From what I gather, it seems like there isn't much more to it than what's been demo'd, so maybe that's the problem? I would say that if you *quite* enjoy what you play with the PS+ version, then getting the full game is worth your while, so long as you're not expecting anything dramatically different other than more cars and tracks.

nib95

Banned
God forbid someone who isn't a competent racer try to play a racing game. How dare they attempt to learn and how dare the developers give them options to teach themself. If you aren't a racing pro you don't deserve to play Driveclub.

I'm assuming the intent is to get people to learn the tracks instead of just sticking to the racing lines. I've personally advised people turn off racing line's in most racing games in the past, as I find people race the lines and not the track, and never truly learn the tracks. On reflection, I can see why that might be bad advise for certain people who might not ordinarily be in to racing games, or even know about racing lines, braking points, apexes and all the rest.

Kill3r7

I am not suggesting any kind of conspiracy, but it is incredibly strange that, so far, every PS4 AAA exclusive has been taken to the woodshed in terms of reviews. It makes me wonder how Bloodborne and The Order will fare.

Bloodborne should review well, would be surprised if it didn't. The Order will probably receive some mediocre scores depending on gameplay and overall reception. That said, there haven't been many PS4/X1 AAA exclusives that have reviewed incredibly well (sans remasters). 86/87 on Metacritic seems to be the ceiling so far.

The PS4 needs a Forza killer like the Xbone needs an Infamous killer. Neither franchise is a big seller. Sony already has the world's most popular racing franchise; they just need to make sure GT7 is good and out by early 2016.

uhm, Microsoft already has Crackdown

What?

I'm not talking about resolution. Im talking about,for example, spending less time making sure Infamous looks amazing and a bit more making sure there are actually fun things to do outside of the already dissappointingly short 9-10 hours main story
Was a joke dude.
Back to the OT, I have no place here.

IGN: "I’m also surprised at how partisan the day-one car list is."

WTF does this mean? Driveclub's car list refuses to cross the floor in Senate voting?

Did they mean paltry? Sparse?

alterno69

Banned
Knack was amazing that's why! (lol I feel like I may be the only person who liked Knack T_T)
I like Knack, if they announce a sequel it would be one of my most anticipated games. I'd give it a 7, lost of potential for an awesome game if given more time i'm sure. Old school platformer done right.

Espada

Does anyone else feel like reviewers are being much harsher this generation? It feels like an incredibly negative industry.

Well, this generation has brought with it the smallest leap in graphics to date and little to no innovation in terms of gameplay. A common thread I see in those review snippets is that the game is pretty, but too safe and been-there-done-that.

Personally, I'm disappointed that the game's single player content is so weak. Evolution weren't kidding when they said this was all about community, they really bet this game's longevity and appeal on a community that might not be there 6-12 months from now.

Top Bottom