• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

I really wish games media would be more kind to brand new IP's nobody gets everything right first time and handing out harsh reviews could cost the Dev team a second chance. And I'm talking about any new ip.

Dishing out 9s and 10s to sequels is great and all but when all we are getting nowadays is bloody sequels and annualised games I just wish they weren't so harsh on new IP's and give them the benefit of the doubt. Dishing a 6 out of 10 from IGN is not cool considering they carry a lot of weight in regards to purchasing a game or not. I know most of us won't read reviews and Base our purchasing purely off reviews but the general populous will. And reviewers mentioning Forza Horizon 2 and comparing it is just downright wrong. That's the second game in the franchise with its graphics engine is a variant of the Forza engine which has had a lot of time to work with.

/rant over!

Hugstable

Banned
IGN: "I’m also surprised at how partisan the day-one car list is."

WTF does this mean? Driveclub's car list refuses to cross the floor in Senate voting?

Did they mean paltry? Sparse?

I think it means that there are only Euro makes, no american or japanese.

I like Knack, if they announce a sequel it would be one of my most anticipated games. I'd give it a 7, lost of potential for an awesome game if given more time i'm sure. Old school platformer done right.

Yes I'm not alone! I would have given it around a 7.5 myself. Amazing game with lots of room for improvement that could turn it into something truly great. The coop to me was just tons of fun

RoKKeR

So like Destiny this game is going to do ok in the reviews but probably sell pretty well(assuming this game gets a lot of the GT audience). I really hope it does to show how obsolete game reviews are
This thread is clearly showing that game reviews are not obsolete.

Seanspeed

Banned
God what an awful post. If you disagree at least have some substance to your argument. Saying 'Nah' and 'Debateable' without even debating anything just makes you come across as daft.
Haha. I think you're missing the point that nib's statements are simply subjective. The fact that I can disagree at all means he is merely forcing his own opinion as truth. I don't necessarily need to argue my points to show what I was getting at.

nullpoynter

Tell that to Destiny, friend. Anything below an 85 is considered a disaster by most people.

Which is a stupid mentality to have.

Game reviews have mostly become just like movie reviews to me. I almost never agree with the reviewers these days. I like a lot of movies that some of the reviewers have crapped on. Game reviews have almost become meaningless to me. Despite what the reviews say I will form my own opinion. Destiny didn't review well, but I'm currently enjoying the hell out of it. Knack was slaughtered, but I thought it was a solid and fun game. I could go on and on. Some of the review systems that these game sites are using are flawed. If the system is flawed then the review will be flawed too.

skynidas

Banned

WTF does this mean? Driveclub's car list refuses to cross the floor in Senate voting?

yeah, that's a dumb way to phrase it. but he probably means that all the cars are european, there aren't american nor japanese cars

I am not suggesting any kind of conspiracy, but it is incredibly strange that, so far, every PS4 AAA exclusive has been taken to the woodshed in terms of reviews. It makes me wonder how Bloodborne and The Order will fare.

Yeah, incredibly strange that genre-pushing, landmark titles like Knack, Killzone: SF or DriveClub didn't receive universal acclaim but instead average-but-not-terrible reviews... very strange indeed.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
aside from the penalty system, it sounds like a terrific game for fans of the genre. enjoy ps4 brothers (and invite me over some time)

Jachaos

Too bad about the reviews. When I first played the India tracks I was very happy with the controls but disappointed in the visuals. However the other tracks look much better, the Canada race I just did is probably the best looking game I've ever seen. It's a bummer there's no real soundtrack while racing and there's no split-screen, but for solo races it's a great game and I'm looking forward to completing challenges with friends in my club. Solid 8/10 in my book, which is why I find 74 to be on the weak side.

FeiRR

Banned
My etc/hosts file just got a new entry:

127.0.0.1 eurogamer.net

From a good site to a craphole in less than one generation. That's quite an achievement.

Seanspeed

Banned
In what world does dynamic lighting not affect gameplay in a racing game?
In what world does it affect gameplay? :/

A bit of glare on the windshield? You can count that as gameplay-enhancing if you want, but eh, that's stretching it if you ask me.

These people think they are poets. And they only are torpedoing the market the live from.

Wigwam

Neo Member
It would've reviewed better if it were 60 fps. A person's psychological mindset plays a big part in how well they perceive games, and whether they're consciously aware of it or not, high framerates illicit a much more positive mental response than low framerates. The (possibly unconscious) negative reaction illicited by Drive Club's low framerate is a major reason for the low reviews -- it caused the reviewers to focus more on Drive Club's negative aspects than the positives, and is also the chief motivator for the nonspecific complaints against the game (e.g. "it lacks passion/magic/etc."). Unfortunately most console developers aren't smart enough to realize this and so we will continue to be saddled with 30 fps games.
Good gravy, that's the most lolsome kettle of steaming bullshit I've ever read.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I thought it felt pretty good. I don't like super arcade handling models and DriveClub was pleasantly far away from that, even if its not a sim. I thought it looked great. I enjoyed the two tracks I drove. And I dealt with a laughable rubberband AI in one of the races(which I see no mention of in the reviews, so hopefully that's been fixed).

So it was quite positive overall.

It was just a very tiny slice of the game, though. Got a taste of the handling model, the graphics and two of the tracks. A proper demo isn't enough to know how fun the full game will be to play. And that goes with most games.

I dunno. It depends on what you want out of a racing game, I guess. If its on PS+, I'm sure enough people will get to try it out for themselves. From what I gather, it seems like there isn't much more to it than what's been demo'd, so maybe that's the problem? I would say that if you *quite* enjoy what you play with the PS+ version, then getting the full game is worth your while, so long as you're not expecting anything dramatically different other than more cars and tracks.
There's zero rubberbanding.

This game will end up in 75 to 8 range which is what most people thought would happen .
No need to get crazy because 1 or 2 low reviews.

Holy return to track warning. They need to get rid of that.

Keep your ass on the track! :lol

Divisive reviews are kind of expected. Decent overall.
The game seems to be pretty rigid in regards to approachability, so it's perfectly understandable that it comes off as jarring and unfriendly to some.

74 at Metacritic? Eh, was expecting it to be a solid 7/10 either way. It never was going to be a ''Forza killer'' (for fuck's sake VG24/7).

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
In the world where severe reduction of visibility changes how a racing game plays.

I mean we could use the outlandish comparison of round times created around 13:00 hours and 03:00 hours in a real life racing sport.

nib95

Banned
And I dealt with a laughable rubberband AI in one of the races(which I see no mention of in the reviews, so hopefully that's been fixed).

There's no mention of it because there is no rubber banding AI in the game. if they bounced back it's because you were slow on a sector or made a mistake. Few videos online, of people playing online with others, where the same phenomenon is replicated. Eg, where someone is slow on the exit of a particular corner despite being fairly ahead of the pack, then getting overtaken by another vehicle on a straight just after it.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Much like with Destiny, those who have scored this low will want to raise their review score as the game gets updated and the experience fleshes itself out.

jett

D-Member
Look back at some of the scores Edge have given European developed racing games.

9 for Ridge Racer Unbounded

9 for GRID 2

RRU is awful and spit directly in the face of RR fans, but Grid 2 is a pretty good arcade racer.

Edge is a little funny when it comes to brit games. :p

Mung

I think it means that there are only Euro makes, no american or japanese.

That's understandable, since it's a European game. There aren't any Indian or Chinese cars either.

Speaking of which, this is a type of game which I would definitely expect to be better received in Europe vs the US, with circuit racing being so popular here. Wonder if that is reflected in the reviews (on average).

Zabuza

Banned
I'm excited to try the demo today.

I played FH2 but I got bored of it fairly quickly. Forza 5 sucked.

Driveclub looks gorgeous but seems lacking in content. The reviews aren't surprising.

Kade

The Great War for the title of Most Social Racing Game Ever Created takes another casualty. How many more must perish at the hands of a Socially-Connected Living and Breathing World That Reacts To Your Choices and Victories? Who will Own The Streets?

m@cross

I explained this a lot but of course some aren't willing to read.
But well, it seems that I am not the only one thinking that despite DC being a good racing game, the other one is better.

......or it could be your post history clearly shows you being a XB fan boy and a shrouded PS troll?

You do know you can love your XB1 and FH2 without needing to troll PS4 threads right?

Smurf

Banned
I really wish games media would be more kind to brand new IP's nobody gets everything right first time and handing out harsh reviews could cost the Dev team a second chance. And I'm talking about any new ip.

Dishing out 9s and 10s to sequels is great and all but when all we are getting nowadays is bloody sequels and annualised games I just wish they weren't so harsh on new IP's and give them the benefit of the doubt. Dishing a 6 out of 10 from IGN is not cool considering they carry a lot of weight in regards to purchasing a game or not. I know most of us won't read reviews and Base our purchasing purely off reviews but the general populous will. And reviewers mentioning Forza Horizon 2 and comparing it is just downright wrong. That's the second game in the franchise with its graphics engine is a variant of the Forza engine which has had a lot of time to work with.

/rant over!

Games should be reviewed with no regard for the background story of the team behind it and only the actual content the customer gets to play. That sort of grading would be tricking the customer, if they wish to support new IPs or smaller studios for the betterment of gaming they can make that decision themselves.

I'm out of here. I don't want to have a meltdown and get banned. Whoever still wants to give this amazing game a chance, I'll see you online!

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Feel like I'm completely out of touch with game reviewers here, and finding the schadenfreude a little difficult to take after the positivity of the OT these last few days.

Hopefully the '/order cancelled /typical Sony 1st Party /Evo gonna close' comments will stay in here.

Betty

Banned
Isn't Gran Turismo 6 selling terribly?

I just checked the wiki page and wow GTA 6 looks like it really underperformed.

Gran Turismo 10,850,000
Gran Turismo 2 9,370,000
Gran Turismo 3 14,980,000
Gran Turismo 4 11,660,000
Gran Turismo 5 10,910,000
Gran Turismo 6 2,340,000^

/\ And those were the updated sales for June 2014.

nib95

Banned

A bit of glare on the windshield? You can count that as gameplay-enhancing if you want, but eh, that's stretching it if you ask me.

Are you seriously trying to tell me driving in the day on a clear sky, is the same as driving in cloudy conditions or at night?

c0de

......or it could be your post history clearly shows you being a XB fan boy and a shrouded PS troll?

You do know you can love your XB1 and FH2 without needing to troll PS4 threads right?

I don't even have an XB1... but whatever, go ahead :)

Foshy

I thought it felt pretty good. I don't like super arcade handling models and DriveClub was pleasantly far away from that, even if its not a sim. I thought it looked great. I enjoyed the two tracks I drove. And I dealt with a laughable rubberband AI in one of the races(which I see no mention of in the reviews, so hopefully that's been fixed).

So it was quite positive overall.

It was just a very tiny slice of the game, though. Got a taste of the handling model, the graphics and two of the tracks. A proper demo isn't enough to know how fun the full game will be to play. And that goes with most games.

I dunno. It depends on what you want out of a racing game, I guess. If its on PS+, I'm sure enough people will get to try it out for themselves. From what I gather, it seems like there isn't much more to it than what's been demo'd, so maybe that's the problem? I would say that if you *quite* enjoy what you play with the PS+ version, then getting the full game is worth your while, so long as you're not expecting anything dramatically different other than more cars and tracks.

Was just wondering about your opinion, I played it last Sunday and was really happy with the driving model (even though I could only try it with a crappy T80 wheel). Seems like we had a similar experience then (minus the rubberbanding, didn't notice that tbh).

I don't know, I'm happy we can get a no-fuss racer too next to the open-world Forza Horizon 2 (which is amazing btw) but it seems like I'm in the minority. And 30-something tracks (without counting reverse) sounds fair to me too.

Top Bottom