• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

psn

Wow at some reviews... just wow. I mean, why do people review a game without even liking the racing genre? Reading those reviews one could think that GTA V is a better racing game.

EGM1966

Those are some spread out scores - while Alien Isolation scores settled to majority being high scores with some outlier low scores this really does look like it's going to be divisive.

Is it me or does it sound oddly like Destiny from many of these reviews? Solid engine with average offline experience and potential for awesome online experience?

Whelp I can try out my Plus version to see what I think I guess. And PS4 install base should be healthy enough to supply enough players for the online to be active.

Curufinwe

I found this interesting as I only play racers in third person.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/07/d...nd-the-best-racer-for-playstation-4-review/2/

A third-person camera that ruins your drive

Driveclub’s first-person bumper camera offers the sense that you’re swooshing inches off the road at incredible speed. Bearing down at 150 mph on a Maserati that spun out and is now facing you in the center of the track will make you gasp. The other first-person views (hood, dashboard) are equally pleasant.

But don’t bother with the third-person camera, even though it offers you the best view of your gorgeous automobile.

It obediently follows the car like a dog on a leash, swinging wide for turns. It actually follows you backward if you back up after wiping out, making it impossible to see where you’re going. If you don’t like playing driving games in first-person, approach Driveclub with caution

This game doesn’t reward casual players, and I expect that it’ll eventually be overtaken by more creative competitors. But it offers a solid experience for the committed, first-person racing game lover.

If that’s you, I’ve listed your score below. If you don’t like driving in the first person or want a driving game that forgives less-than-perfect play, knock 10 points off.

Score: 80/100

Will LittleBigFloatyControls or The Order break the 80 MetaCritic ceiling!?

Killzonemetacritic.png

knackcritic.png

infamouscritic.png

destinycritic.png

driveclubcritic.png

Games should be reviewed with no regard for the background story of the team behind it and only the actual content the customer gets to play. That sort of grading would be tricking the customer, if they wish to support new IPs or smaller studios for the betterment of gaming they can make that decision themselves.
I agree 100%.

Haha. I think you're missing the point that nib's statements are simply subjective. The fact that I can disagree at all means he is merely forcing his own opinion as truth. I don't necessarily need to argue my points to show what I was getting at.

Your argument is just as, if not more asinine than his is. At least he offers an opinion yours is just a dismissal with no opinion or riposte. If it is debatable as you say it is, debate it. I'm not saying I agree with him at all by the way.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I just checked the wiki page and wow GTA 6 looks like it really underperformed.

Gran Turismo 10,850,000
Gran Turismo 2 9,370,000
Gran Turismo 3 14,980,000
Gran Turismo 4 11,660,000
Gran Turismo 5 10,910,000
Gran Turismo 6 2,340,000^

/\ And those were the updated sales for June 2014.

Wasn't it released a month after the PS4 was released?

Seanspeed

Banned
In the world where severe reduction of visibility changes how a racing game plays.

I mean we could use the outlandish comparison of round times created around 13:00 hours and 03:00 hours in a real life racing sport.
Real life is quite different for many reasons.

In games, I think the effect is mainly visual.

There's no mention of it because there is no rubber banding AI in the game. if they bounced back it's because you were slow on a sector or made a mistake. Few videos online, of people playing online with others, where the same phenomenon is replicated. Eg, where someone is slow on the exit of a particular corner despite being fairly ahead of the pack, then getting overtaken by another vehicle on a straight just after it.
I promise you I did not make any mistake. I carved through the field like a hot knife in butter, yet when I got in the lead less than halfway through the track, the 2nd place guy suddenly stuck on my tail and then in the last straightaway section, it blew by me like I was sitting still. One of the most clear examples of rubberband AI I've ever seen.

I did not play the final release version(that I know of), so it sounds like that has been addressed.

Espada

Gran Turismo 10,850,000
Gran Turismo 2 9,370,000

Goddamn, Gran Turismo 5 hurt the series' reputation severely. The timing of GT6's release didn't help either. Man, they need to light a fire under the director's ass. Stuff like this will sink GT for sure.

Seanspeed

Banned
Your argument is just as, if not more asinine than his is. At least he offers an opinion yours is just a dismissal with no opinion or riposte. If it is debatable as you say it is, debate it. I'm not saying I agree with him at all by the way.
Yea, you're really not getting the point at all. I tried to explain it to you but you're insisting on ignoring the context. I don't need to expand on my opinion. I was merely pointing out his statements were subjective, not truth.

The Gamespot review is harsh.

Higher standards or not it's hard to believe DC is as bad as or worse than all the other mediocre racing games that got 6 or lower.

driver116

I feel these would have bumped the scores a bit:

-Weather day1
-Huge career mode
-A mix of Europe, US and JP cars
-Removed the penalty systems

Games should be reviewed with no regard for the background story of the team behind it and only the actual content the customer gets to play. That sort of grading would be tricking the customer, if they wish to support new IPs or smaller studios for the betterment of gaming they can make that decision themselves.

I understand that but it's just such a risk these days that these poor guys could be affected and we would never see a Driveclub 2 with all the improvements of a sequel.

IGN: "I’m also surprised at how partisan the day-one car list is."

WTF does this mean? Driveclub's car list refuses to cross the floor in Senate voting?

Did they mean paltry? Sparse?

I think its in reference to the car list being almost exclusively European cars like they mentioned in the review.

Gran Turismo 10,850,000
Gran Turismo 2 9,370,000

GT6 should've been on PS4, it would've garnered way more excitement and hype. GT is the pinnacle of the video game driving experience, and would've filled a need on PS4. Oh well, should've known Driveclub was going to be a pretty but shallow experience.

Foshy

GT6 should've been on PS4, it would've garnered way more excitement and hype. GT is the pinnacle of the video game driving experience, and would've filled a need on PS4. Oh well, should've known Driveclub was going to be a pretty but shallow experience.
lol

Reading this:

"Driveclub is the fear of risks and the embrace of the ordinary. It's basic racing in basic packaging, beautiful and inert and full of attractive cars. It is not, however, an argument for a new generation of driving, given how it fails to exceed the standards of the old one."

is like reading a Lars Von Trier film review, a full of metaphors snob review that hides behind cheap literature to give a low score without having a real,understandable reason.

Nothing about that quote comes off as remotely snobby or excessively flowery to me. It in fact very clearly states Driveclub is an average, but pretty game that doesn't even live up to previous gen's racers, let alone the expectations of a next-gen driving experience.

Are you seriously trying to tell me driving in the day on a clear sky, is the same as driving in cloudy conditions or at night?

I know, this guy is being ridiculous. Why, just last week I went to my local dealership and they wouldn't even let me test drive on a cloudy day because the experience just isn't the same.

Kacho

Gold Member
Drive Club definitely looked plain and boring from the videos I've seen, so not all that surprising to see it score so low with some people. Racing games need to bring more to the table these days.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Gran Turismo 10,850,000
Gran Turismo 2 9,370,000

What the fuck? I thought GT4 bombed?

TheMan

so it seems like the consensus is that this game is a bit like destiny- very pretty dressing with solid gameplay mechanics, just shallow when it comes to content. destiny has managed to hook me with it's excellent gunplay, so if driveclub feels good to drive that may be enough to satisfy me. Still, i'll probably go with the physical version if I do decide to get the full game, just so I'll have the option to sell/trade in the future.

Top Bottom