• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

To be fair he is saying you are acting like a fanboy not actually a fanboy.

No, acting like a fanboy is being black and white. I have given this game both praise and criticism. "Fanboys" don't do that. They either love something, or hate it.

All I did was question this silly "Soul" thing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Giant Bomb also said Dark Souls wasn't worth reviewing because they didn't like it.

Giant Bomb is a cesspool.

The same giantbomb that did multiple playthroughs of dark souls and demon souls?

You might want to update yourself first.

Shaneus

Yup, a friend (with a wheel!) let me try it out.
"Trying out" Driveclub (I'm assuming a race or two) is the Horizon 2 equivalent of driving down one or two streets. You're not experiencing most of the fundamental features of DC beyond the driving model. The levelling up, the online rivalry and club interactivity, for example.

I might as well do two races in Horizon 2 and call it out for not having enough tracks or variety in races.

GHG

He knows its not meant to be a sim. He says it ends up feeling like a primitive sim when describing why he doesnt like the handling. Thats simply what the end result reminds him of.

I see nothing wrong with what he said about NFS. Saying that the racing is the weakest link is a comparitive statement, not a statement of actually how strong or weak it is, so there is no basis for you to translate that into a number and deem 8.4 to be too high. You're really grasping at straws here to discredit his opinion. Just grow up and accept that you simply disagree with it.

So can someone explain what a "primitive sim" is? What does that even mean? Especially in the context where the game he's reviewing isn't even a sim game. Not enough assists? Too difficult? Too unforgiving?

Sorry but If you are reviewing a racing game but then say the actual racing is the weakest link but then still say the game is great that doesn't make much sense to me. It's not exactly a genre where you can say "oh well look, the racing wasn't the best thing about this game but the shooting felt tight and the story was interesting".

I'll let any criticism slide. But I don't get this "soulless" bullshit.

Can someone explain what a racing game's soul should be?

And if you say "Storyline" or "Characters" I'm going to gnaw on your skull.

Forza Horizon, GT, FM, Grid, Dirt, Project Cars all have their own identities. DriveClub seems to just exists. thus soulless.

You're projecting the most condescending and infantilizing opinions onto someone for saying something reasonable like "its bland". It looks silly.

Actually, ProvenDeadly and I were having a perfectly rational conversation about my question until you showed up and started calling me names for no reason :/

Man, I forgot all about the GRID franchise. The first one was SOOOO good.

I guess it did have some character (I'll never forget the infamous piss filter). But I still wouldn't say it had "soul".

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Yeah, I've read most of your posts in this thread and you've claimed many things that DC does better while constantly disparaging FH2 yet you haven't played the game. It doesn't do your opinion any favours.

My opinion is what it is. An opinion. And it's not entirely misinformed either.

Helmholtz

The same giantbomb that did multiple playthroughs of dark souls and demon souls?

He's not wrong though... but I think he's talking about Jeff more than anything. That was pretty much Jeff's attitude during earlier bombcasts, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the crew were fairly indifferent toward it. Not sure if Jeff ever warmed up to the series. But the guy you quoted was talking about reviews, not load our last souls.
Vinny and Brad eventually decided to give it a chance. To the best of my knowledge I don't think Ryan was very interested in the game either.
I don't agree with the guy's opinion of giant bomb, but I don't think he's wrong about them choosing not to review the game because they didn't like it. I think that statement is fairly accurate when it comes to GB's opinion of DS around release time. And in general, that website is very selective about reviewing games.

kcp12304

Banned
Giant Bomb also said Dark Souls wasn't worth reviewing because they didn't like it.

Giant Bomb is a cesspool.

http://www.giantbomb.com/dark-souls/3030-32697/videos/

2536312-2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

Jumping on a game series after it's already popular with a sizable audience is not a sign that they are prescient taste makers.

Forza Horizon, GT, FM, Grid, Dirt, Project Cars all have their own identities. DriveClub seems to just exists. thus soulless.

I guess I can kind of see where you are coming from. Dirt certainly had it's own style.

I would argue against Project Cars though. I think that looks like a mess of different franchises put in a blender with some NFS Shift games. It's like a style nomad.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jumping on a game series after it's already popular with a sizable audience is not a sign that they are prescient taste makers.
I mean, you're not wrong, but this feels like a non-sequitur. I don't think they claim to be?

Have you seen the graphics though? :p

I do have to wonder if there would be such a shitstorm if Driveclub never had great graphics to begin with.
I honestly cant figure out why the game looks a lot better in screenshots and gifs than when I actually play it.

About the soulless thing, its the kind of thing you feel but its sometimes hard to put into words. Plain tracks, plain features, plain music, only the most basic modes, zombie A.I, not much visual customization of cars, not a word of spoken dialogue that ive encountered (not that thats not something that can work)... it all just feels very dull to me. Its like a game that serves a utilitarian purpose of providing sim-lite racing on PS4 and thats it. It would have been a great $20 PSN download to me. Since I dont really have a lot of fun with feel of the racing itself,that lack of novelty or meat elsewhere is problematic.

kamicowzi

Banned
All of this back and forth bickering about review scores and what Driveclub is or isn't has made me think of something: Driveclub is like the Kimi Raikkonen of racing games. It doesn't give a shit about flash or flair or the media. It just wants to race.

benny_a

I mean, you're not wrong, but this feels like a non-sequitur. I don't think they claim to be?
I'm just countering the point that because they did eventually ended up covering the Souls series with a lot of videos doesn't invalidate the argument that they are good at recognizing what is good without outside influence.

I'm assuming that is what impact meant when he got so angry.

Edit: Not that Jeff is wrong for not liking Driveclub. He can be wrong about certain aspects and stuff like that, but his experience with the game is what it is.

Shaneus

How does GT and Project Cars (that isn't even out yet) have it's own identity and DC not?

If I can elaborate on what I would respond with, I'd say that Driveclub actually gives the player the ability to choose an identity within the game and roll with it, rather than be assigned the role of someone at a music/car festival, upcoming race driver or the like. Better at drifting than racing fast? That's your identity within your club. Speed freak? There's a role for you in your club. Jack of all trades? Go for it.

Because when you've unlocked all the cars and all the modes in every one of the games listed, all you'll have is fairly bland multiplayer modes, no more game progression and an itch for more DLC. The longevity in Driveclub isn't in the single player. The clubs and challenges will always be there and will always change, regardless of what content is added onto it.

Amir0x

Banned
Wooooooow. That GB review. God damn it Jeff. I love the way the game handles, the driving feels so good. I completely disagree.

you don't remember, man? How DARK and DREARY racing games used to be?

But now we've seen the light, man! Oh man! Open world and super stylistic is the name of the game, all other racing types need not apply! How did I ever get through racing games before?

I once liked JET MOTO, man. JET MOTO!

hamchan

While initially shocked at the low score, having actually read Giant Bomb's review, Jeff's criticisms about the game seems really fair to me and I can certainly see how it would get a 2/5 from him.

Except nobody said they're prescient taste makers; this entire line of discussion is nothing more than "they don't like things I like so they're a cesspool". If you generally disagree with GB's reviews, then just ignore their reviews instead of bitching every time they disagree with you.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Did you play F

Edit*** drunk post.

Did you play FH2? Pretty strong opinion.

Not having played something doesn't eliminate me from the discussion.

The review quotes are indicating that DC doesn't have a rightful place or identity or soul whatever that freaking means.

All I'm saying is hardcore dedicated racing communities are a niche compared to shooter communities. Leaderboard climbers, lap time fiends, ghost chasers, they must number in the thousands.

I think DC attempts to bring competitive racing multiplayer to a new level by unifying everyone under one accessible , intuitive and addicting platform where every pillar of its design is there to promote competition. Much like the first Modern Warfare did for shooters.

How does GT and Project Cars (that isn't even out yet) have it's own identity and DC not?

GT has personality in spades. The infamous elevator music that is now iconic. The classic intro movies. The animations/sound effects for little things oil changing. The frightening attention to detail in some places and shocking negligence in others.

GT is just so completely ridiculous in such a charming way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV8m37_2Y6w

Edit: fuck, that still gives me goosebumps.

GiantBomb

2/5
Watching the quick look, Jeff put in his time and covered just about every aspect of the game - though he was too light on visual customizations, of which there seem to be a decent amount through the unlocked vinyls, accolades and primary, secondary and tertiary colors.

Ultimately though, he didn't like the handling, like at all. Not even a little bit. And that's the deathknell right there, no matter how many features from other races might've been found here in some alternate universe.

What other game has clean, high speed, skill based racing in these kinds of environments?

The environments and the raw mechanics are the heart of DC. Seriously, what other games have this?

I might add social features as well, just maybe, if I could've maybe even managed to connect to a server once by now. But nope. All solo play and I'm loving the hell out of it.

benny_a

Except nobody said they're prescient taste makers; this entire line of discussion is nothing more than "they don't like things I like so they're a cesspool". If you generally disagree with GB's reviews, then just ignore their reviews instead of bitching every time they disagree with you.
And why is impact not allowed to say he thinks they are shitty reviewers in a review thread?

I don't see how that is any more off-topic than calling Polygon shitty reviewers in any of the other hundred of review threads.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
My opinion is what it is. An opinion. And it's not entirely misinformed either.

Hmmm....

Horizon 2 just sounds like Burnout Paradise to me... and that was just social, not social racing. It was just a bunch of people crashing their cars into each other.

It doesn't matter how many tuning options it has when it all boils down to the same fare every race, slide around on road or offroad more or less clumsily depending on which assist your turn off or on, and also only further divides the community leaderboards for a game that's already all over the place with its focus.

The way the cars slide around the tracks reminds me of something like Ridge Racer or Twisted Metal.

The visuals are kind of cartoony/stylized aren't they?

Not having played something doesn't eliminate me from the discussion.

Seems pretty misinformed to me.

Then of course there's this:

You have a very suspicious recent post history, sir.

Every DriveClub thread you've posted are skeptical remarks, and then you're gushing all over Forza Horizon.

I'll leave it at that.

Bsigg12

Except The Last of Us. Universal acclaim both critically as well as with user reviews.

Obviously there will be outliers. Statistically speaking, a game getting universal praise from critics and users on Metacritic is rare because of the amount of fanboyism that goes on in those user reviews.

CrazyDude

Some people here need to get over yourselves and stop using reviews as a source to confirm that you have great tastes and that if anything goes counter to my views it is a personal attack on me. If you like the game and are already playing it, then ignore the reviews. What does it matter is some person gave it 10/10 or -100/10. Reviews are meant to be read before you buy a game to help you decide whether to buy it or not. Generally you follow those reviewers who are inline with your own tastes.

This pretty much goes out to all review threads and not just this one.

If you want to come at Jeff, you better be ready for a knife fight.

Driveclub reminds me of Destiny but I suppose the third star was for Destiny's good handling.

Top Bottom