• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Not having played something doesn't eliminate me from the discussion.

The review quotes are indicating that DC doesn't have a rightful place or identity or soul whatever that freaking means.

All I'm saying is hardcore dedicated racing communities are a niche compared to shooter communities. Leaderboard climbers, lap time fiends, ghost chasers, they must number in the thousands.

I think DC attempts to bring competitive racing multiplayer to a new level by unifying everyone under one accessible , intuitive and addicting platform where every pillar of its design is there to promote competition. Much like the first Modern Warfare did for shooters.

really? not trolling but most of the reviews are saying the opposite. I am still waiting for PS+ edition before I make any judgement.

Mahonay

Banned
While initially shocked at the low score, having actually read Giant Bomb's review, Jeff's criticisms about the game seems really fair to me and I can certainly see how it would get a 2/5 from him.
Having read multiple reviews and hearing what's actually in the game, I say a 3/5 would be about as high as you would go on it. Looking at it objectively, a 2/5 doesn't seem to veer too far off course. The point differential just looks a lot worse when you're working with a 5 star system.

VERY interested to finally be able to give this a spin to judge for myself, whenever the hell the PS+ version posts on the store.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Hmmm....

Seems pretty misinformed to me.

Then of course there's this:

I'll leave it at that.

You creepy fuck. What are you trying to prove?

That I'm pissed off that critics are panning DC over their boner for an open world racer?

I am

Don't go trying to get internet points/GAF fame doing a post history sweep.

~Kinggi~

Banned
lol at the GB hate. Hey guys, maybe this isnt a good game. Anyway, Jeff has a pretty good opinion on driving games so he shouldnt be dismissed so casually.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

That I'm pissed off that critics are panning DC over their boner for an open world racer?

I am

Dude, you need to take a break.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
really? not trolling but most of the reviews are saying the opposite. I am still waiting for PS+ edition before I make any judgement.

I swear this is another instance where reviewers are completely off their mark.

They're either not playing the same game or just didn't give a shit.

The comparison to Autolog says it all. No offense to Criterion Games ...

I honestly cant figure out why the game looks a lot better in screenshots and gifs than when I actually play it.

About the soulless thing, its the kind of thing you feel but its sometimes hard to put into words. Plain tracks, plain features, plain music, only the most basic modes, zombie A.I, not much visual customization of cars, not a word of spoken dialogue that ive encountered (not that thats not something that can work)... it all just feels very dull to me. Its like a game that serves a utilitarian purpose of providing sim-lite racing on PS4 and thats it. It would have been a great $20 PSN download to me. Since I dont really have a lot of fun with feel of the racing itself,that lack of novelty or meat elsewhere is problematic.

I think this is a pretty good attempt to address the "soul" question.

Ultimately, what Im gathering from people who are luke-warm on the game say it feels unfinished, like a decent framework for what could be a very good game down the road after adding $50 of DLC and MTs. The problem is they are charging $50-$60 full retail price, not $20. I think perception of this game might be quite a bit different if the initial buy-in price was more budget title or even F2P-ish.

pop_tarts

Well, this is the review thread, so it is on-topic.

There some dumb user reviews for every game.

I normally don't look at "user scores" but this thread has gotten under my skin a little. Sure I knew the game was going to get mid 70's but I'm playing it a liking it just because I love shaving seconds off my lap time, but when people such as:

eggb -
Fable: The Journey
Average User Score: 4.5 360 his score 9
0 Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified
Average User Score: 4.8 his score 0
Wonderbook: Book of Spells
Average User Score: 6.1 his schore 2
Driveclub
Average User Score: 6.2 his score 1
Child of Eden
Average User Score: 7.6 his score 10
Forza Motorsport 4
Average User Score: 8.1 his score 10
The ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Average User Score: 8.4 his score 4

and
Wduarter
Driveclub
Average User Score: 6.2 his score 1
Titanfall
Average User Score: 6.2 his score 10

just to name a few

There's a probably here that should be address with metacritic as a whole but what is really troubling is when, and example from last gen, how GTA 4 and 5 recieved the highest scores for last gen yet with 68 and 50 reviews respectfully. Yet the 2 most acclaimed games Uncharted 2 and The Last of us receiving 105, and 98 reviews respectfully.

If Uncharted got only 50 reviews it would be VERY close to 100 it would be th Godfather of video games. But I guess I should get on topic.

DC suffers from and idenity, which the developers knew around the middle of the cycle, but that wasn't why it was delayed, but as far as content there is enough there that keeps me wanting to play more. I believe they should come out with more solid modes like a mode strictly for line following another strictly for speed etc as well as have them out there for challenges. What they have for being a fresh new IP I believe is great. Once they come out with a sequel I'm sure they can iron out the "soul" it missed with the first game.

PGR received an 85 from 35 developers, which is exactly what Driveclub is, but because it doesn't have a drag race mode, or "Cloud AI" (its funny because Forza's cloud AI isn't any more competent than other AIs. I'm a big racing fan in general even bought Fuel and enjoyed it somewhat so yes I bought and played Forza 5 and FH2)

I think 75 out of 100 is pretty good for its first outing and the developers can definitely see what went wrong with the game and what went right and make Driveclub 2 much more "appealing" to the masses and still doing what they want.

Sorry for the novel and if some of it just doesn't make sense at times, but I have a lot going on in my head about the reaction towards to game.

RoKKeR

I'm on my phone watching TV... What's the matter?

Conjuring up delusions of some sort of agreement between reviewers about their love of another platform's racer to collectively pan Driveclub is usually a good sign that you need to take a break.

kpaadet

Ok this got me:

The "old dark days" like when we had real racing games like TOCA, Colin McRae, a real Le Mans game, authentic F1 games, RBR? And then arcade racers like PGR, Ridge Racer, V Rally? Yeh ok Jeff... You can go back into your hole/cave now.

Sorry the game isn't noob friendly enough for you.

That's all I have to say. What sad times we live in.

I think alot of his critique is on point for the most part, but let's be honest Jeff like games that hold your hand all the way to the finnish line so it dosn't surprise me he thinks older games which took some patience were "dark days". That's why he dosn't like the Souls series etc.

BiGBoSSMk23

Someone sweeps through his post history and he's the one that needs to take a break? This thread has people going bananas and oranges

Yeah, I'm so glad that guy whose name I forget made a thread criticizing the overal attitude
NeoGAF has come to accept.

There's so much "sick burn" baiting going around it's gross.

Amir0x

Banned
Not having played something doesn't eliminate me from the discussion.

The review quotes are indicating that DC doesn't have a rightful place or identity or soul whatever that freaking means.

All I'm saying is hardcore dedicated racing communities are a niche compared to shooter communities. Leaderboard climbers, lap time fiends, ghost chasers, they must number in the thousands.

I think DC attempts to bring competitive racing multiplayer to a new level by unifying everyone under one accessible , intuitive and addicting platform where every pillar of its design is there to promote competition. Much like the first Modern Warfare did for shooters.

I don't know about all that, but I don't even know why it needs to reinvent the wheel at all.

I mean, first of all, it has way more content than the majority of racers that came out in yesteryear, let's get that out of the way. It has a lot of tracks and a hefty number of cars. It's not Gran Turismo or Forza, but the insanely highly detailed cars have a very varied car-type selection and its real biggest flaw is that it's pretty centric in its worldview, it needed a more global car selection overall. It has plenty.

The issue seems to be at how no frills the game is. There's not really any customization options for the cars, you're not popping the hood. I love games that let me customize my cars like that, but crucially I do not think games with that feature had an inherent advantage over racers that did not, like many Ridge Racer titles for example. They have distinct gameplay directives.

A game without customization under the hood must therefore be extra mindful of specific car personalities and differentiating between classes, because it's a pure skill based game after all. What I mean by that is if you're driving the same exact car in a game like DriveClub, the only thing standing between you and that first place finish is skill. There's no variation in that simple calculus, and there's something enormously gratifying in realizing that and winning on those terms. It's incredibly tense and any arguments over who is better rest solely on whether someone took advantage of the widest breadth of their skillset to achieve victory.

On the other hand, a game that has customization has its own sort of strategy that lies around tuning your vehicle to obtain specific advantages. There is tons of enjoyable and engaging scenarios in these sorts of racing games, and there's a lot less predictability in terms of how races will play out. There can be a wide range of performances even amongst players who are otherwise very evenly matched skill wise. This is all part of the fun, of course. The downsides are it's harder to ensure even match-ups in the competitive circuit, and there are often very many ways to simply so overmatch your computer foes that a lot of the competitive tension gets sapped from certain scenarios. It's not necessarily pure skill vs. pure skill, in other words. Some times it comes down to who played longer to afford that upgrade that made their car run a little better.

Both ways are fine. Both ways are fun. It's perfectly OK to prefer one method over the other. It's perfectly OK to like one and not the other. What's not OK is to act like one is some dusty relic of times bygone with no merit to anyone, or that there's even anything inherently wrong with the approach.

Same goes for every feature. "Open world" is not an inherently next-gen feature. Open-world has been around as long as Linear games. Both have and always had distinct advantages and disadvantages.

Linear racing games, or as I now call them "Corridor Racers", have a specific advantage of being very tailor made to maximize the value of the racing mechanics. Because of the closed nature of these tracks, it's far easier to hand craft compelling series of turns, obstacles or other such challenges. You can guide your player more reliably through a great 3-to-6 minute chunk of racing gameplay. You can really sculpt races that precisely challenge individual aspects of your racing skill set, and the key is reliability. It's just more dependable in this way, which is not to say a good open world racing game cannot also hit some of these notes. On the other hand if you race a track a handful of times, you've pretty much seen what it has to offer - which can be a huge plus if you're in it to master your skills, but is a drawback for people who are more interested in aimless progression in a general sense.

Open world racing games have a huge layer of unpredictability on top, custom made paths, and this is both its biggest win and biggest loss. Because just as easily as you might participate in the craziest race where you barely dodge a tree going 200mph right before you lightspeed off a cliff jumping to your silhouette in the moonlight to land just in time to first place the bitch, you might just participate in a confusing and aimless series of barren field enterprises where you're so much better than your competitors you never see them anyway after 30 seconds and you pretty much coast to the finish line while on the phone with your best friend named Mango from Alaska.

The list goes on and on. Racing games - and other genres - haven't just "moved on" from great gameplay concepts from the past. We move on from things that have no value, not from fantastic things that just "only" appeal to a unique subset of us. We all have our preferences. What is embarrassing is just how many so-called 'reviewers' thought it was their job to pull the curtain down on an entire sub-genre of racing titles because they frankly don't fucking understand the first thing about racing games and what made them compelling through the generations

Gestault

I am

His point was clear. That doesn't mean you have to like it, but cursing at someone for showing you in a bad light isn't going to help a bad impression.

Ranger X

I still have this feeling of "ok game that fills a gap" instead of "truly great experience".
Hopefully I'll be proven wrong when I play. :/

Mahonay

Banned
Sadly he is probably not wrong about the jobs comment.
Implicating that Jeff scoring the game low has lost game devs their jobs is pretty shitty. That's just me, though.

If you're going to be upset with anyone, be upset with Metacritic and the publishers that rely on it.

Dragon

Banned
Having read multiple reviews and hearing what's actually in the game, I say a 3/5 would be about as high as you would go on it. Looking at it objectively, a 2/5 doesn't seem to veer too far off course. The point differential just looks a lot worse when you're working with a 5 star system.

VERY interested to finally be able to give this a spin to judge for myself, whenever the hell the PS+ version posts on the store.

You have not played the game (I haven't either). How are you coming to these conclusions?

One mistake right at the end (my first two laps sucked, but the third one was pretty perfect for a first-go with a supercar), and I got 2nd. And I loved it. That was intense.

This is just bizarre.

BiGBoSSMk23

Conjuring up delusions of some sort of agreement between reviewers of their love platform's racer to collectively pan Driveclub is usually a good sign that you need to take a break.

Oh please spare me the tin foil hat accusations. This is a review thread. Its all par for the course.

Reviews have been unfairly harsh towards DC. FH2 is good game. I'm sure it clicks with a lot of people, but its existence doesn't invalidate DC's own existence or denies DC's quality.

Mahonay

Banned
You have not played the game (I haven't either). How are you coming to these conclusions?
By reading the reviews today, like I stated in my post.

I'm judging purely from what I've read. I still need to try for myself. Which I would have if the PS+ version had come out when it was supposed to.

EDIT: for the recorded, I had been pumped for this game for a while now. I've adjusted my expectations after the reviews have hit. I'll be happy if I'm proven wrong when I play it.

valeo

Hey guys, just admit that this game isn't a game-changer; might be an ok game, that's fine.

Plus, there is no wet pavement and there is no rain so what's the point really?

RK9039

Watching the quick look, Jeff put in his time and covered just about every aspect of the game - though he was too light on visual customizations, of which there seem to be a decent amount through the unlocked vinyls, accolades and primary, secondary and tertiary colors.

Ultimately though, he didn't like the handling, like at all. Not even a little bit. And that's the deathknell right there, no matter how many features from other races might've been found here in some alternate universe.

Exactly, he said the actual driving is bad.

Dragon

Banned

I'm judging purely from what I've read. I still need to try for myself. Which I would have if the PS+ version had come out when it was supposed to.

It makes no sense. You've already set an arbitrary cap for a game you haven't played based on how other people you don't even know feel about the game.

Duxxy3

Implicating that Jeff scoring the game low has lost game devs their jobs is pretty shitty. That's just me, though.

If you're going to be upset with anyone, be upset with Metacritic and the publishers that rely on it.

Publisher's rely on it for bonuses, consumers rely on it for a consensus. The same way people check out rotten tomatoes for a movie they're interested in seeing.

People that love these games and these movies may hate that the consensus disagrees, but it happens. There are games and movies that I love with awful ratings, and others that I hate with amazing ratings.

Mahonay

Banned
It makes no sense. You've already set an arbitrary cap for a game you haven't played based on how other people you don't even know feel about the game.
Is this not what game reviews are for? To help you get a good idea of what the game is like to make a purchase decision?

Anyone have any info on why the demo...er..."PS+ version" isn't on PSN yet?

I'm guessing the delay is purposeful to get a certain number of impulse buyers to impatiently pull the trigger before they have a chance to try it and realize this isn't exactly what they were hoping for.... Judging from reviews this game may have a hard time finding an audience outside a niche who really click with something of a throwback racer.

Im still looking forward to trying it out tho, especially since it was supposed to be a fucking launch game. Lol

Dragon

Banned
Going what?

That is a heinous post. Taking the good name of bananas in vain like that!

Anyone have any info on why the demo...er..."PS+ version" isn't on PSN yet?

I'm guessing the delay is purposeful to get a certain number of impulse buyers to impatiently pull the trigger before they have a chance to try it and realize this isn't exactly what they were hoping for.... Judging from reviews this game may have a hard time finding an audience outside a niche who something of a throwback racer.

Im still looking forward to trying it out tho, especially since it was supposed to be a fucking launch game. Lol

It's up in other regions, it looks like typical Sony incompetence regarding their store.

Is this not what game reviews are for? To help you get a good idea of what the game is like to make a purchase decision?

Yes but that's not what you're saying. You're rating a game you haven't played based on reviews. That's what I responded to originally. Nothing you've said in this last post defends that point adequately because frankly it makes no sense.

RoKKeR

Oh please spare me the tin foil hat accusations. This is a review thread. Its all par for the course.

Reviews have been unfairly harsh towards DC. FH2 is good game. I'm sure it clicks with a lot of people, but its existence doesn't invalidate DC's own existence or denies DC's quality.

Alright so being in a review thread is an excuse for flat-out incorrect insinuations? Good to know.

And I've yet to see any substantial cases where FH2's existence has had a direct effect on DC's scores as you seem to imply. I'd love to see them, though! I'm genuinely curious? I've yet to see anything "unfair" about the reviews for this game... what does unfair even mean in the context of a review? Such a ridiculous thing to say. Were the Destiny reviews unfair because it's lifeless and boring story is actually really well told in the Grimoire cards? No, because they are reviewing the game as it is, not the conversation or externalities surrounding it.

mpgeist

The game lacks content but I think the handling is fine. It's been a while since I played it but it reminds me of PGR. Wish the online features worked though. I'm having fun with my 2/5 game overall.

BashNasty

Twilight Princess - Peak Gerstmann

The fact that people got so bent out of shape about that score is one of the gaming communities defining moments. Good that we can still muster up the energy to bicker, argue and overreact when reviews don't justify the hype.

It's up in other regions, it looks like typical Sony incompetence regarding their store.

Thanks. That was my second guess.

Side-Note: The PSN store is a hot mess. Its so bad I was going to start a thread about it the other day but figured half of GAF would be throwing tomatoes at me. Lol

Dragon

Banned
Side-Note: The PSN store is a hot mess. Its so bad I was going to start a thread about it the other day but figured half of GAF would be throwing tomatoes at me. Lol

I don't mind the organization really because I rarely use any of the console versions. The PC store isn't bad at all. It just needs platform organization when viewing your download list.

GT has personality in spades. The infamous elevator music that is now iconic. The classic intro movies. The animations/sound effects for little things oil changing. The frightening attention to detail in some places and shocking negligence in others.

GT is just so completely ridiculous in such a charming way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV8m37_2Y6w

Edit: fuck, that still gives me goosebumps.

I agree with this. Because it's such a huge title there are many people who complain about the 'shitty jazz music' and the "silly menu styles" but they do make the package that is GT a game enjoyed by millions.

Having said that, it is counter to the current trend of quick and accessible and if there's one excellent point about DC it is you will be in a race in seconds as the menus are quick and intuitive. DC even has a snappable side activity feed and quick challenge menu, it's a shame of the ardent MS fanboys can't appreciate the snap feature while they're tear the game down.

Mahonay

Banned
Yes but that's not what you're saying. You're rating a game you haven't played based on reviews. That's what I responded to originally. Nothing you've said in this last post defends that point adequately because frankly it makes no sense.
Just giving my current opinion is all. I think it's perfectly fine if you disagree with my logic.

I may completely turn around my feelings when I get my hands on the demo.

AllenShrz

lol at the GB hate. Hey guys, maybe this isnt a good game. Anyway, Jeff has a pretty good opinion on driving games so he shouldnt be dismissed so casually.

I cant take him seriously about his opinion on racing games when he dislikes GT for being a sim and not be more like Forza.

Top Bottom