• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

I don't know why they'd delay it to a Sunday though. That's the part where the rumor loses me on top of the lack of real sources.

mishakoz

It's clear that was not how they planned to end last night

Yeah, i know. It makes too much sense not to be true

1) Press conference ended at a weird time, shorter than ever
2) Make no sense to divide the Days Gone trailer and gameplay
3) Days Gone isnt exactly ending with something "big"
4) You could tell Layden's "Goodnight" line was a little off, somehow.

If this was at the Arena I would be able to find out too, used to work on their E3 show. Stupid Shrine theatre.

Myggen

Yeah, i know. It makes too much sense not to be true

1) Press conference ended at a weird time, shorter than ever
2) Make no sense to divide the Days Gone trailer and gameplay
3) Days Gone isnt exactly ending with something "big"
4) You could tell Layden's "Goodnight" line was a little off, somehow.

If this was at the Arena I would be able to find out too, used to work on their E3 show. Stupid Shrine theatre.

But it`s a huge jump from them having to change their plans for some reason to that being Red Dead.

Well no. But the fact that it is called Zelda carriers a certain promise of quality. Just like how Dark Souls III announcement wouldn't have been as cool if it was called Lords of the Fallen 2.

I'm not saying the game won't be good or it will. I'm saying what I just saw wasn't very impressive. The fact that it's Zelda is what it seems to be getting by on.

mishakoz

But it`s a huge jump from them having to change their plans for some reason to that being Red Dead.

Sure, but Red Dead was "leaked" beforehand as at E3. The good thing is we will know for certain on the 19 if this is hot air.

1) Trailer has to be the Saloon shootup
2) has to be on the 19 if the source is accurate
3) They will almost certainly remark if it was supposed to be Sony. Its free, good press if they say they pulled it for sensitivity sake.

Hasney

Sure, but Red Dead was "leaked" beforehand as at E3. The good thing is we will know for certain on the 19 if this is hot air.

1) Trailer has to be the Saloon shootup
2) has to be on the 19 if the source is accurate
3) They will almost certainly remark if it was supposed to be Sony. Its free, good press if they say they pulled it for sensitivity sake.

The person that accurately leaked MS and Ubisoft called out that person who "leaked" RDR2 as being fake and copying their leaks.

Visceir

I love the ancient technology angle!

Oh the ancient technology angle is aweome, liking all those ancient robots and it's fun to imagine what kind of mechanic towering dungeons there might be later on in the game.

Just not liking the tablet thing being shoehorned in there because the Wii U controller is a tablet and the red grid being displayed when using the powers, it's not very immersive.

mishakoz

The person that accurately leaked MS and Ubisoft called out that person who "leaked" RDR2 as being fake and copying their leaks.

Again, we will know for certain in the future so ill let it rest, will be sad if we were robbed of the Brandon reaction and the Sony capstone

(Im all for sensitivity for disastrous events, but I also find it dangerous for a developer to acknowledge a connection between shooting in their game and shooting in real life. Not a discussion I want to have, but thats what I think)

Oh man that Red Dead rumour... Jones (and me!) may well have gone into cardiac arrest. The only gripe I had with the Sony conference was that the Days Gone demo, while looking great, was a bit of a whimper of an ending.

Tankard

Oh man that Red Dead rumour... Jones (and me!) may well have gone into cardiac arrest. The only gripe I had with the Sony conference was that the Days Gone demo, while looking great, was a bit of a whimper of an ending.

Sony conference may have been my favourite one of all time, but Red Dead was my Huber moment awaiting to happen, i was so sure it was going to be there, it would leave me in tears.

mishakoz

So Zelda talk.

I can only say a couple things, watching sparsly from work

1) Looks better than i thought it would
2) Still super rough in some patches. Namely whenever its "suddenly rock" there is not much detail to the rock. just an example
3) Not digging modern words like "authenticating" and the Slate tablet.
4) World looks good, but things like the instant transition from grass to snow is baffling. Overall i like it but it doesnt seem "believable" yet

Im still skeptical. People are saying its the most innovative and ambitious Zelda yet, but similar was said about Skyward Sword. Im excited but reserved.

Cant wait to watch the whole demo later.

Effect

A shame they didn't cover the opening hour of Nintendo's stream. Would have liked to see their reactions to the Zelda footage.

Hasney

Zelda looks good yeah, but the thing that makes me the happiest is that it's just a Wii U version. Can't wait to see what extra the NX version brings.

A shame they didn't cover the opening hour of Nintendo's stream. Would have liked to see their reactions to the Zelda footage.

Eh, the opening hour was mostly Pokemon explained in a way to people that had never touched Pokemon before. This way we get to hear how it actually played when they controlled it themselves.

Auctopus

Not possible I know but for the UK, it's way too late to stay up and watch E3 impressions, it'd be so cool if they uploaded them as a podcast under the Frame Trap banner on iTunes.

sora87

13427824_10154694595986754_6467531810099591503_n.jpg
You can go inside the RE7 house at E3, Huber's gonna lose his mind

...and instead finished their show with a biker gunning down crowds of human like enemies?
Much more appropriate....

Those were quite clearly zombies....

But I get what you are saying though but it was pretty much the player character shooting up a saloon though instead of defending himself from hordes of zombies

Hasney

That RE7 demo goes places if you don't mind just playing around for a while. Also:

So once again Capcom confirms on the Capcom Unity stream that the demo is not part of the main game. And that the main game will still have all the elements RE is known for.

Hopefully Huber finds this out too.

UrbanRats

I know Damiani and Kyle are probably gonna love it, and it's gonna be painful to hear them gush over it, but this Zelda demo destroyed my hype for the game..
I love open world games and i love SotC, so i should be all over this, but it looked extremely boring and unimpressive all around, not to mention how dated the world looks, in technical terms (especially after games like Days Gone, which are open world and look spectacular).

Showing the NX version would've probably helped.

It hurts, too, because Zelda was always in my top 3 most anticipated games these past 3 years, and now i wouldn't even put it in my top 10 games of e3.
I had to force myself to finish watching their gameplay demo... just Link running around horrible looking empty plains, killing some goblins.

There were a couple of interesting mechanics (magnets!) but in a post Witcher 3 world, you really need to step up your game, when it comes to building open worlds.

Those were quite clearly zombies....

But I get what you are saying though but it was pretty much the player character shooting up a saloon though instead of defending himself from hordes of zombies

I get that, but the show was still very much a festival of violence as was the other shows. The Allies even making jokes about the number of people stabbed over all the conferences.
So to take RD3 away for that reason seems super off and weird.

Anyways, can't wait for Zelda talk later. Game looks great, but for every good thing they say, they sem to show something bad.
Weapon durability and inventory management are my biggest gripes from watching at home.

Tregard

Soothsayer
On the subject of the Red Dead Rumour, I feel like the show was definitely missing something at the end, but would it not have been possible for them to just cut the offensive scene in question?

sora87

On the subject of the Red Dead Rumour, I feel like the show was definitely missing something at the end, but would it not have been possible for them to just cut the offensive scene in question?

They would have had to edit the whole trailer again, or maybe that saloon scene was it or it lead in to the next part and without it might have seemed really weird

UrbanRats

I'll be more than happy to eat crow and have a red announcement, but for now I'll file it as wild speculation.
Shawn said "goodbye" weird? Cmon.

mishakoz

I get that, but the show was still very much a festival of violence as was the other shows. The Allies even making jokes about the number of people stabbed over all the conferences.

There are many factors
1) Rockstar's history with the violence debate
2) Sony is still it "give the people what they want mode", wouldnt want to involve themselves in a controversy if they can avoid it
3) RDR probably had a scenario that closest resembled what happened out of any game. This isnt world war 1 or space, norseland, or post-apocolyptic future. I understand its Western but its still the "closest.

What it comes down to is this. Its the day after the worst shooting in US history and people are very emotional. You have a gameplay demo set for tomorrow where a person guns down a bunch of people, possibly bystanders, not sure.

What would you do?

I dont know myself

In a stage show there are a lot of moving parts. Light cues, orchestra cues, projection, teleprompter, audio, video for stage, video for stream. Cutting a "segment" in completion is easy. Cutting half of one gets harder.

Also possible there wasnt a whole lot more to the trailer than that scene.

Sounds really fake to me and exactly like something someone on Reddit would make up.

Sure, i get it, rumors are made up all the time. Just had a feeling "something" was missing and this connected enough dots to be plausible.

Deadman

Caught up on the sony conference. Wow that was almost perfect.

I don't know if anything can top the magical 3 reveals from last year, but in terms of average quality this was way higher.

Anyways, can't wait for Zelda talk later. Game looks great, but for every good thing they say, they sem to show something bad.
Weapon durability and inventory management are my biggest gripes from watching at home.
Zelda is a game of HARD SWINGS for me for much the same reason.

For every good / awesome thing they have shown today (have been watching since the start, still going now), they show something either bad or outright stupid.

(Good -> Bad)
Weapons taken from enemies -> tiny durability and only like 2 animations per weapon
Quick weapon swapping menu -> Inventory management and a stack height of THREE
No more grass-hearts, more survival-esque -> no quick way of eating food other than paging through menus
Climbing rock faces -> weird and sometimes bad climb animations and even worse rock textures
Amazing fire / smoke effects -> fire can sprout ultra unnaturally when you set things ablaze, does not spread between things. Also, setting things on fire seems really inconsistent.
Open world -> Areas seem pretty empty, looks like 2-3 tree models repeated over and over
Cold areas -> They seem really unnatural and out of place (one side of a river is covered in ice and the other is green grass?) - though link's cold animation is cute.

I can go on and on and on. So many cool things, so many dumb things. I don't know man.

That said, I'm sure the allies will love this game if only because it's a massive step in a new direction for Zelda and Nintendo, and that's cool I guess. Gotta love their positivity.

Edit: They also have a good long while to polish this before it comes out, so hopefully a lot of the above is fixed.

Burt

Caught up on the sony conference. Wow that was almost perfect.

I don't know if anything can top the magical 3 reveals from last year, but in terms of average quality this was way higher.

Yeah, I feel the same way. They didn't have the same level of last year's incredible announcements, but I actually think this year's conference was better overall.

I went in thinking that last year was an outlier and that it's unreasonable to expect anything to ever hit near it again, but Sony essentially matched it with less, mostly just by actually understanding their audience and giving them exactly what they wanted back to back to back to back for an entire conference. And that's with an opening orchestral piece, no indie montage, and a lot of games being passed over (NMS, Rigs, Shenmue, maybe RDR2).

Sony killing it the way they did for one year can be hand waved as an aberration, but two in a row like this? That's a new standard. It's going to be hard making excuses for any of the platform holders having substandard conferences any more.

Like, you're multi-billion dollar corporations. You have a blueprint. Scrape that .2 billion off the end of the LinkedIn deal and put the pieces in place to not mess it up and maybe actually compete.

mishakoz

For every good / awesome thing they have shown today (have been watching since the start, still going now), they show something either bad or outright stupid.

(Good -> Bad)
Weapons taken from enemies -> tiny durability and only like 2 animations per weapon
No more grass-hearts, more survival-esque -> no quick way of eating food other than paging through menus
Climbing rock faces -> weird and sometimes bad climb animations and even worse rock textures
Amazing fire / smoke effects -> fire can sprout ultra unnaturally when you set things ablaze, does not spread between things. Also, setting things on fire seems really inconsistent.
Open world -> Areas seem pretty empty, looks like 2-3 tree models repeated over and over
Cold areas -> They seem really unnatural and out of place (one side of a river is covered in ice and the other is green grass?) - though link's cold animation is cute.

I can go on and on and on. So many cool things, so many dumb things. I don't know man.

That said, I'm sure the allies will love this game if only because it's a massive step in a new direction for Zelda and Nintendo, and that's cool I guess. Gotta love their positivity.

Edit: They also have a good long while to polish this before it comes out, so hopefully a lot of the above is fixed.

Completely agree with most of this. I don't trust Zelda to do things in a sensical manner, somethings just disconnect for them and one of those big things is anything to do with Menus.

El-Suave

Blood is tweeting many awesome booth pictures, if Damiani can link those in and they could describe the showfloor a bit it'd be really neat.

Meh even if the disappointment still burns me, I'm sure Zelda will be at least somewhat fun when I actually get to play around in it.
I'm down. It's not doing one thing amazingly but it seems like a very fun game to play. Much better than skyward sword. And a break from the OOT template is long overdue

Now I might have hit my saturation point on their treehouse stream.

(Good -> Bad)

this feels super fair all around.

I'll check the gameplay stream later, but the Zelda trailer looked interesting, but maybe not mind blowing. I think though, I've reached that point in my life where I'm content with not owning every system and not playing every game that interests me. Even a Zelda game is no longer enough on its own to get me to buy a Nintendo system. Now the new Zelda and a true successor to Mario 64, that might tempt me to look the NX's way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom