• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
And that's Ghostflame Dragon down first try, good times, I'm tearing through everything. Fully replaced my armor set/main weapon and found a secret incantation, too bad it's shit lol.

Edit: and I've got to say, I barely used the Black Blade incantation in my 230 hours with the base game but here it's become a staple 👌

Last edited:

Tomeru

I can only speak for myself but it DEFINITELY harder than the base game. Eve some regular enemies can hit really hard.
I know right? I can't grasp how strong I am at all (sl170). It seems like the scsling of mobs is based on size. Like the normsl mobs have 2k hp, and special mobs have 10k, then you got that first towering wickerman with 1 million hp.

The first boss I beat just now... Sheesh that was like a different game. Im 60/60 str/fth, and I barely put a dent into him (900+ phys dmg,). Incantations also felt weak.

I felt I was fighting a gundam.

In a medieval fantasy game.

Onward I push.

Antwix

Oh no I accidentally killed a friendly kindred of rot and now I’ll be missing out on loot! Noooooooooooo
Haha I almost did that too but I tried locking on to him but it wouldn't. You're not missing out on much. It's just a cookbook. I forget what it crafts but it's a single item I believe and it didn't exactly wow me.

SJRB

Gold Member
I love how typically low-key the start of the DLC is.

There's no fancy cutscene or intro, nothing flashy. There's just a random NPC in the Mausoleum who's like "yo man you want to join me and my homies in the fucking Shadow Realm? It's gonna be neat, trust me" and you're like "eh sure, I guess" and you touch the hand and again nothing special happens, it just bring up the default loading screen and it loads you into some cave. Zero explanation, zero introduction, no bombastic cutscene.

You just spawn in a cave and you're like "okay I guess I'm the Shadow Realm now, I better get going".

Bartski

Gold Member
Karate mode is so awesome when not underpowered. I'm taking stuff you get from the monk after the duel. I'm at the third legacy dungeon giving everyone a spanking, it posture breaks in one combo so mopping the floor now with team Mesmer now. Fire bucket giants are piss easy once you get a hang of their very simple moveset, regular bosses however are really something else... fashion went out of the window it's about survival here. Can't wait for people who were complaining about speed combos get to the end of the second castle.

Got plenty of new weapons but nothing that could dethrone my Eleonora's Poleblade when things get serious. Also love the new "throwable" I guess that's also a category, I only got one.

Haha I almost did that too but I tried locking on to him but it wouldn't. You're not missing out on much. It's just a cookbook. I forget what it crafts but it's a single item I believe and it didn't exactly wow me.

A cookbook and something yellow

PSA watch out for those guys (I've seen another).

Tomeru

And that's Ghostflame Dragon down first try, good times, I'm tearing through everything. Fully replaced my armor set/main weapon and found a secret incantation, too bad it's shit lol.

Edit: and I've got to say, I barely used the Black Blade incantation in my 230 hours with the base game but here it's become a staple 👌
What build are you running? Im reslly struggling with str/fth with bosses. Feels like I'm hacking away at rocks. I can down most enemies with a couple of lightning strikes, but they do jack shit on bosses.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
me-right-now-v0-p677vedacu7d1.jpeg

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
What build are you running? Im reslly struggling with str/fth with bosses. Feels like I'm hacking away at rocks. I can down most enemies with a couple of lightning strikes, but they do jack shit on bosses.

My own custom Faith build I've been playing from the start, my stats:

Vigor 60
Mind 33
Endurance 39
Strength 22
Dexterity 36
Int 9
Faith 94
Arcane 11

Talismans: Faithful/Flock Canvas, Erdtree Favour +2, Dragoncrest Greatshield

My build is based around super powerful incantations but also being able to take hits with heavy armor (Med load) and moderately high HP. Main weapon should have Faith scaling + Dex/Strength or both so you are viable in melee combat too. I never use stat boosting incantations, Lightning Spear is still my most used spell, Erdtree Heal obviously, everything else is situational depending on what I'm fighting. Black Knife Tiche is my summon, flasks 8-6 FP-HP.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I am going with the ice katana build so far into dlc and it has proven to be a great choice.

Only boss so far I’ve found that packed my fudge is death knight because of his heal mechanic. Basically mandatory to not get hit at all that boss. :/

Tomeru

My own custom Faith build I've been playing from the start, my stats:

Vigor 60
Mind 33
Endurance 39
Strength 22
Dexterity 36
Int 9
Faith 94
Arcane 11

Talismans: Faithful/Flock Canvas, Erdtree Favour +2, Dragoncrest Greatshield

My build is based around super powerful incantations but also being able to take hits with heavy armor (Med load) and moderately high HP. Main weapon should have Faith scaling + Dex/Strength or both so you are viable in melee combat too. I never use stat boosting incantations, Lightning Spear is still my most used spell, Erdtree Heal obviously, everything else is situational depending on what I'm fighting. Black Knife Tiche is my summon, flasks 8-6 FP-HP.
Which weapons are you rocking? I'll lower my str and put that into fth (similar build more or less).

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Which weapons are you rocking? I'll lower my str and put that into fth (similar build more or less).

Just got a new weapon in the DLC area, it's a quick sword that has Str/Dex/Faith scaling. Before that I was using the Halo Scyth for the past 60 hours or so, used the Blasphemous Blade for a while before that but it's too OP=boring lol. Erdtree Seal.

Last edited:
Blasphemous Blade still does great damage, but without the knockdown you can’t stunlock stuff, which is a bummer for scrubs like me.

I wanna try out the dlc weapons anyways, just haven’t found too many yet.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Blasphemous Blade still does great damage, but without the knockdown you can’t stunlock stuff, which is a bummer for scrubs like me.

I wanna try out the dlc weapons anyways, just haven’t found too many yet.
My character is sitting in the DLC starting area with the blasphemous blade in hand. Good thing to know it’s not that weak.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Managed to defeat a few bosses so far but goddamn. Bosses have so much poise in this DLC. I’m running a colossal sword strength build and it very difficult to stagger them.

Last edited:
Fuck me dude, just those first minutes with the music, the views, the atmosphere. So fucking good. I don't know how FROM is so far ahead of the entire industry.

Was a great feeling compared to anticipation of a whole new game. Going in just knowing you're getting more of the best of the best feels good.

winjer

Gold Member
Started playing and difficulty too a couple of steps up.
On a positive side, my bloodhound fang still packs a punch. This weapons is very good for crowd control.
Still haven't taken on any boos. Only a great enemy boss, the Blackgaol Knight. It was a bit harder than what I was expecting and it took me 6 tries to kill him.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Can you imaginer being a gamer stepping into the world of Elden Ring + Shadow of the Erdtree for the first time? It's a total content overload.

Will there ever be a game like it again? I think From is always going to be trying to live up to it, quite frankly.

I haven't touched this game yet (not until it reaches a staggering price of 5 pence) but I'm watching people play it and a mild criticism that I have just from observing is that there are many big ass shadow of the colossi type bosses. Seems kind of annoying if you ask me.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Well, I clocked close to 7 hours today, need sleep but I can already tell this will be GOTY. Can DLC qualify as GOTY? When it's better and more substantial than entire games then you better fucking believe it, Praise Kind Miquella 🙏🏻

Can you imaginer being a gamer stepping into the world of Elden Ring + Shadow of the Erdtree for the first time? It's a total content overload.

Will there ever be a game like it again? I think From is always going to be trying to live up to it, quite frankly.
It’s the greatest content package in video game history at this point. It has to be.

And I can’t put any kind of ceiling on From. They are on an absolutely unprecedented run for the last 15 years.

Can anyone give me some enthusiasm to continue?
I mean I'm going to regardless. But I've explored a lot of the first area. Beat the fire boi and now am on Relanna. Seems like a good fightm So much has felt samey so far regarding base enemies. Also feels super easy besides bosses. Does it get better?

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Man oh man, SOTET is even more astounding visually in terms of art and art design than original game. It's also more complex visually with way more foliage and objects, debris flying around etc.

Yo9m4PD.jpeg

AFc4nLA.jpeg

3b0USWL.jpeg

DO4Y2cb.jpeg

GB3VOnl.jpeg

GR5Wm1i.jpeg

4Fdnhsn.jpeg

Uh, if only the goddamn game stopped downgrading everything visually and turning itself into pixelated mess on the final screenshots when the camera is far away, but oh well, fuck Agent with his perfectionists needs....:messenger_unamused:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Can anyone give me some enthusiasm to continue?
I mean I'm going to regardless. But I've explored a lot of the first area. Beat the fire boi and now am on Relanna. Seems like a good fightm So much has felt samey so far regarding base enemies. Also feels super easy besides bosses. Does it get better?
"Samey"!? are you kidding me!? I put over 700 hours in the base game and this expansion feels so much different .....heck I just fought an enemy who used Radegon's hammer abilities.

Last edited:
Those walking tumour guys that come out of pots are a pain in my ass.

The giant steel fire guy is a savage. He is a never ending fire shooting bastard. Will come back later.

Currently stuck on Rennali or something like that. Attacks are incredibly fast and the magic attacks are too fast. This boss is going to cause many people grief

Antwix

Those walking tumour guys that come out of pots are a pain in my ass.

The giant steel fire guy is a savage. He is a never ending fire shooting bastard. Will come back later.

Currently stuck on Rennali or something like that. Attacks are incredibly fast and the magic attacks are too fast. This boss is going to cause many people grief

Yeah Rellana is pretty tough. Some delayed high damage attacks and seemingly never ending combos. Then comes sword buffs haha

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
The difference between the regular mob and the boss in Belurat Tower Settlement is INSANE.

That thing bodies me in two hits, wtf.

Draugoth

Gold Member
I think i will make a new character and built if for the DLC, Miyazaki clearly didnt want people to have an easy time in this

"Samey"!? are you kidding me!? I put over 700 hours in the base game and this expansion feels so much different than.....I heck just fought an enemy who used Radegon's hammer abilities.
It mostly felt like birds and those shadow people. The invasions were challenging. Relanna is the first true boss I've seen. Just needed encouragement for more challenge bc it's seemed easy so far

Madflavor

Gold Member
Christ almighty did I pick the wrong build. This DLC is not for Big Bunga heavy hitting strength builds. Bosses have so little down time between attacks, and their poise is so high. So I respeced to Dex/Holy, got my new Light Greatsword to +25, and the difference is night and day. The special thrust ash of war is so much faster than any big hit from a colossal weapon, cost almost no FP, and it staggers the bosses in 3 hits.

xVodevil

Damn just got to love how this game looks. True artist magic here, such a damn shame that stutters are also the enemy and sadly even on PC it can't be unlocked nor dlss for the killer ray tracing performance..
Anyway hats of to FromSoftware for doing best while they are already steps ahead most others.

The difference between the regular mob and the boss in Belurat Tower Settlement is INSANE.

That thing bodies me in two hits, wtf.
You can stack Golden Vow, Black Flame Protection, Opaline Hardtear in flask, and Talismans to give yourself more tankyness.

Top Bottom