• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning/afternoon everyone. The tournament begins today. Your all in for a treat. Prediction: Italy 5 - Spain 0

8P1ja.jpg

Jhglc.jpg

CpbMA.jpg

19TOr.gif

xgtvG.gif

I'm not nearly as confident as this post suggests.

Me right now:

tumblr_m1mlxibQm81qgtnns.gif

Visceir

I usually place a few small bets to make the games more interesting for myself.

For the next game I placed bets on Italy winning the first half, spain winning second half and the game ending in a draw.

Italy was trash 2 years ago, I'm hoping they've improved a little since then.

keit4

Banned
I really hope Spain wins fuck all, honestly. All this talk about Spain 'rescuing' the Eurocup in the spanish press is ridiculous.

they need to be brought back down to earth.

Trust me, the 99.9% of the spaniards are very conscious about his situation, only the assholes thinks like the press...

Kabouter

Dutch only have themselves to blame. RvP should have scored a hat trick, Robben should have had two. I'm glad Denmark beat them, might make them try harder. Would love to see Denmark top the group and Netherlands come second

Almost certain Germany comes first and either Denmark or Portugal comes second, sadly.

Arjen

Almost certain Germany comes first and either Denmark or Portugal comes second, sadly.

If the danish defense stays at bad as in the first game, both Germany and Porugal should have no trouble scoring against them. I think it wil be a toss between us or Portugal for second in the group.

Even most Danish players (and commentators) has said it was a penalty against Lars Jacobsen. He's deliberately making himself bigger there and ruins Huntelars chance because his arms are protecting the area around the ball. Look at his arm movement up there just when he is about to hit it... Yeah.

Even Lars Jacobsen just kind of laughed when asked if it was a penalty and said "Well... I am glad he didn't call it". Deliberate doesn't only mean during like Suarez at the world cup.
Guys please stop, it's difficult enough trying to let the wounds heal already. Don't tear them open and sprinkle salt. I'm scared. This can't be it.... 3 games and... No. NO. NOOOOOOO! =(

Firemind

Is there any other way Holland can survive, aside from winning from both Germany and Portugal? We're doomed aren't we?

Holland can draw against Germany IF Portugal wins and Germany wins in the last round against Denmark.

Or if Germany wins all their games and the rest have three points each.

bud

Germany didn't look so hot yesterday, if Netherlands increase effectiveness I can see them standing up to the Germans.

i can't agree with this. i think germany looked better than the dutch, but they lacked a bit of finesse up front. germany's midfield completely blows away the netherlands'--schweinsteiger, khedira and ozil make for a midfield that's about 123486791234 times as dynamic as one with van bommel, de jong and sneijder.

bud

the portuguese looked like they were playing together for the first time ever--and that's not for the time either.

Holland can draw against Germany IF Portugal wins and Germany wins in the last round against Denmark.

Or if Germany wins all their games and the rest have three points each.

Let's see..

Well, that first option isn't impossible at all. We have to at least draw against the Germans. But then our fate would be in the hands of the Portugese :(

the portuguese looked like they were playing together for the first time ever--and that's not for the time either.

it ONLY Looked that way towards the end though when they were already behind... shoulda played like that BEFORE then maybe they would have scored and won instead of trailing behind 1-0

CassSept

i can't agree with this. i think germany looked better than the dutch, but they lacked a bit of finesse up front. germany's midfield completely blows away the netherlands'--schweinsteiger, khedira and ozil make for a midfield that's about 123486791234 times as dynamic as one with van bommel, de jong and sneijder.
We shall see, Ozil was pretty disappointing yesterday. I'm just saying, let's not write off the Dutch that easily.

Oh God, I remember that one, funniest match in the recent history. Can't wait for the 17th now :D

F#A#Oo

Banned
they're both great, really. pirlo's the italian version of xavi, but a bit slower and less dynamic. so... xavi!

Pirlo's movement is akin to a waltz...also Xavi can't tackle to save his life. You'll regularly see Pirlo slide in for tackles etc to win back balls and trying to get involved in defensive work...Xavi doesn't need to do this work I guess one could argue...

Both awesome players though...

Jburton

Banned
Rooting for you! My dad's Irish but didn't know they'd qualified until I told him last week, thought Roy Keane was still captain and wondered whether Jack Charlton was still in a job

lol.

Thats a long time ago.

I hope the Free State win, sure go on the lads.

Falch

It worked in 2010, because you cannot reach the WC final with a tactical disaster. It just doesnt work anymore now.

The reason we made it to the final in 2010 was because most of our star players were in top form and we beat anyone on individual quality. Take that away and there's little left. Too bad players like Sneijder, Robben and v Persie aren't as much on their game as 2 years ago.

Kabouter

The reason we made it to the final in 2010 was because most of our star players were in top form and we beat anyone on individual quality. Take that away and there's little left. Too bad players like Sneijder, Robben and v Persie aren't as much on their game as 2 years ago.

Van Persie was amazing this past season, and he wasn't that great in 2010 on the national team. Honestly, RVP has never really done as well as he should in the national team. What that's down to, I don't know, but the fact is that he's never come close to being as good as he is at Arsenal in the national team.

while this is true as well, it's not like they played BAD yesterday... they did a LOT right tactically, they just failed to SCORE... if they had scored 2 or 3 goals instead of miss them, everyone would be raving about them right now!

Arjen

Sneijder did a great job yesterday, we just have to face the music and realize RVP just doesn't work in our national team, give the job to Huntelaar, sub van Bommel or de Jong for vd Vaart and go back to playing full out offense like a Dutch team should.

GorillaJu

Van Persie was amazing this past season, and he wasn't that great in 2010 on the national team. Honestly, RVP has never really done as well as he should in the national team. What that's down to, I don't know, but the fact is that he's never come close to being as good as he is at Arsenal in the national team.

He's not a poacher-type goalscorer, which is basically how he's being played for Holland. Huntelaar is a better striker for how the Netherlands play IMO

itsgreen

I still believe we didn't play bad, a little bit more luck and it would have been 4-1....

GorillaJu

again, if RvP would actually capitalize on his chances, he WOULD fit into the concept

But he doesn't capitalize on his chances and he never has been the type of player to react in an instant and finish. You shouldn't expect that from him because it's never been his strong point. He is great at running onto passes and then banging them in, scoring off of free kicks and penalties, but he's not like Falcao, Cisse, Gomez, Huntelaar or even Jelavic, where he can turn any loose ball into a goal.

He's being played so far up the pitch that he actually looks out of his element. Again I think Huntelaar is a better player for how the Dutch want to play.

The_Joker

Good morning/afternoon everyone. The tournament begins today. Your all in for a treat. Prediction: Italy 5 - Spain 0

8P1ja.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Jhglc.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/CpbMA.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/19TOr.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xgtvG.gif[IMG]

[SPOILER]I'm not nearly as confident as this post suggests.

Me right now:[/SPOILER]

[IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1mlxibQm81qgtnns.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
i hate spain but i hope they beat the shit out of italy

But he doesn't capitalize on his chances and he never has been the type of player to react in an instant and finish. You shouldn't expect that from him because it's never been his strong point. He is great at running onto passes and then banging them in, scoring off of free kicks and penalties, but he's not like Falcao, Cisse, Gomez, Huntelaar or even Jelavic, where he can turn any loose ball into a goal.

He's being played so far up the pitch that he actually looks out of his element. Again I think Huntelaar is a better player for how the Dutch want to play.

why not play both then? Have RvP as a winger and let him do his running and passing so Huntelaar can score in the middle!

Honestly, at this point i'd really go back to 4-3-3, fuck the naysayers, systems are there to be changed, but i guess Van Mar. is too damn stubborn for that :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom