• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

caramac

Spain were better to watch for the neutral when they were the "nearly men". Never won anything but a lot of people liked them.

bud

Total football was a hell lot better to watch. Some of the worst matches I have watched in a long time was the spanish u21 team during the u21 euros, tiki taka where they would just pass it around in circles whenever they had gotten in front, without creating anything offensive, that shit was just as much anti football as what Chelsea did at this years CL. Not that I would call it anti football (at all), but i'm more than tired of it at this point and especially the circle jerking about it.

barca in the 5-0 against madrid were about as perfect as a team can get. objectively, that's the greatest, most entertaining football ever put on display.

it's not anti-football, it's having the patience to find that one gap in the opponent's defence. and it's not like they're only passing it around on their own half either. plus, with barca/spain playing such a high line, it'd be stupid to try and force your way in and risk getting fucked on the break.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I think if Spain had Messi they'd be playing differently. It's the one main difference between Spain and Barca. That one guy alone opens up opportunities for different playstyles.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
If they snuff Pirlo out of the game, It's over.

Italy can't turtle with Bonucci and De Rossi in defense.

Smeghead

Italy won't sit back for 90 minutes, I don't know if you've watched us the past 2 years but we haven't done that since 2008 against Spain as the defense just simply is good enough anymore, hence why de Rossi is playing cb (barzagli injured).

Some of you sound like itv pundits with your stereotypical opinion based on past playing styles and not recent events.

In fact in the last world cup, every team against us played 90 minutes without going forward and then nicking a goal off a set piece.

I'm stuck at work so I'll miss the game which is shit. Not sure whether to listen to it on the radio, or wait till I get back and watch balotelli's hattrick in all it's glory.
We're gonna get pounded

barca in the 5-0 against madrid were about as perfect as a team can get. objectively, that's the greatest, most entertaining football ever put on display.

Don't agree with that at all and you don't have to argue with me if it's anti-football or not, I already said I don't agree with that and think the whole term is fucking stupid. Seeing Barca exploit a completely clueless real madrid defense was pretty boring over all, although Ronaldos face whenever Barca scored was hilarious.

Spain are pretty boring, just look at the world cup... All them shitty 1-0's.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Good football doesn't equate to more goals. I hate when my friends' amazing football matches are the ones that end with a goal count more than 3 or 4. I've seen 0-0 matches that were completely amazing. It's all about the chances and ball flow.

Oxx

I'm guessing that the Nadal/Djokovich match will get relegated to ITV2 or something if it goes long. We need a full 45 minutes of Adrian Chiles before kick-off.

Wilbur

Banned

I'll agree with you here... I was mesmerised the whole game. But this past season I've been bored by Barca, I think they started to believe their own hype, Guardiola started experimenting for experimentation's sake... only Messi really was entertaining last season. I miss 2008/09 Barca, with Henry and Eto'o. Madrid's counter attacks are similar to watching them, that's why I enjoy watching Madrid more.

Similarly, Juve, Napoli and to a lesser extent due to hilarity Roma have been fun to watch this year while Spain are, like Eggman says, Barca without the thing that makes them untouchable, and that's Messi.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Total football was a hell lot better to watch. Some of the worst matches I have watched in a long time was the spanish u21 team during the u21 euros, tiki taka where they would just pass it around in circles whenever they had gotten in front, without creating anything offensive, that shit was just as much anti football as what Chelsea did at this years CL. Not that I would call it anti football (at all), but i'm more than tired of it at this point and especially the circle jerking about it.

Yeah Total football is amazing and really is the pinnacle in terms of football...tiki taka is not beautiful to me in the least and I really hope at some point it finds it's ending.

I'm a big fan of Zeman and he recently said about possession tiki taka football;

“In my football I try to eliminate pointless things, so for me a horizontal pass is futile, as it’s just loaning each other the ball. We must always try to do something that will have meaning.”

"I am quicker, in the sense that with possession you also give your opponents time to get settled in defence. It’s much more difficult to break down a defence that is closed rather than catching them unprepared. I also see long-range shots as rather desperate. In my type of football, the striker must receive service."

untitled-9s8bha.gif

Best performance I have ever seen from a football team. Barca's tika taka in 2010/11 was something else, could watch them play all day. Total football. With Spain they tend to pass a lot but don't create as many chances, probably because they don't have a player like Messi on their team.

Wilbur

Banned
http://www.abload.de/img/untitled-9s8bha.gif[/IM]

[B]Best performance I have ever seen from a football team.[/B] Barca's tika taka in 2010/11 was something else, could watch them play all day. Total football. With Spain they tend to pass a lot but don't create as many chances, probably because they don't have a player like Messi on their team.[/QUOTE]

I may just agree with you there, but as recently Inter 3-1 Barcelona was just... incredible. I don't think I've ever seen a team execute a game plan as magnificently as Inter did in that game.

FuturusX

untitled-9s8bha.gif

Best performance I have ever seen from a football team. Barca's tika taka in 2010/11 was something else, could watch them play all day. Total football. With Spain they tend to pass a lot but don't create as many chances, probably because they don't have a player like Messi on their team.

Without question the purest form of football there is...Football is a team game, passing at this level exemplifies that.

Joe

I like all styles of soccer, I'm glad most countries have their own way of play. It almost seems like complaining for the sake of complaining,

Wilbur

Banned
I like all styles of soccer, I'm glad most countries have their own way of play. It almost seems like complaining for the sake of complaining,

Yeah. I wouldn't be annoyed half as much by Barca fans or advocates of their style of a portion of them didn't fucking whinge any time someone dares to defend well against them

untitled-9s8bha.gif

This makes the Danish footwork we saw yesterday look like 5th grade level...

sneaky77

I find it funny people call Spain anti football, I mean really? a team trying to score is anti football? yes they pass it around trying to find the open space but if the other team has 10 players on their box just worrying about covering the space what are they supposed to do? Force the ball lose it and leave themselves open for a counter attack?

Possession football is not anti football no matter how you guys want to spin it. I understand people don't like spain or barca having 80% of the possession... but is not like the other team is trying to come out and press them and take the ball from them.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Italys starting Line-up!

Code:
--------------------- Buffon

--------- Bonucci --- De Rossi --- Chiellini 

-- Maggio -- Marchisio -- Pirlo -- T.Motta -- Giaccherini 

--------------- Balotelli -- Cassano

Giaccherini :(

Possession football is not anti football no matter how you guys want to spin it. I understand people don't like spain or barca having 80% of the possession... but is not like the other team is trying to come out and press them and take the ball from them.

Can't wait to see Juventus v. Barca because that's EXACTLY what we do.

Edit: Giaccherini is really fast paced. He'll be necessary on the counter (which is how we'll probably end up scoring). And he's decent going back, actually.

ItalJuve representing. 6 out of 11 (7 if not for Barzagli). We're going to be fucked either way though. Next season our players will be exhausted, and when we lose everyone (like Yurt said) is going to blame us.

Edit x2. Whoa... I'd still prefer Bonucci in the middle even if De Rossi isn't a proper CB. Bonucci is much better in a sweeper role than as a standard CB, so here's hoping Prandelli has told De Rossi to stay back and cover when Bonucci ventures forward with the ball.

lol some of you guys have clearly not been watching italy play the past few years.

italy is going to try and play with spain today and are probably going to lose as a result, but hopefully it will be entertaining. they are playing with a 3 man defense so they will try and crowd the midfield to win possession and play out wide to score on the counter. it won't be catenaccio - think napoli in the CL this year, which was very fun to watch.

edit: ugh i was hoping ogbonna would get the start over bonucci. it is absolutely embarrassing that this guy is a starter in the national team, shows how far italy's defense has declined. might as well put bonera or rannochia in there.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Awesome gif, Sunhi. Barca are really an example to follow.

But that's one move in 90 minutes, and Barca are not Spain.

Italys starting Line-up!

Code:
--------------------- Buffon

--------- Bonucci --- De Rossi --- Chiellini 

-- Maggio -- Marchisio -- Pirlo -- T.Motta -- Giaccherini 

--------------- Balotelli -- Cassano

Giaccherini :(

T.Motta :(

What the fuck? Bonucci on the right? He should be in the middle! You can't expect De Rossi to lead the line/offside trap!

F#A#Oo

Banned
I find it funny people call Spain anti football, I mean really? a team trying to score is anti football? yes they pass it around trying to find the open space but if the other team has 10 players on their box just worrying about covering the space what are they supposed to do? Force the ball lose it and leave themselves open for a counter attack?

As that GIF shows...pressing Barcelona or a Spain too much creates gaps...

This is the reason why you see very little pressing...it's not that they are forgetting or that teams are incompetent. It's purely a tactical necessity.

As most teams that have beaten Spain in friendlies etc have found out the best way to beat them is to be super-efficient when you yourself have the ball and counter-super quick...and when you don't have the ball...stay super compact and let them pass it around till they take long-shots and try ambitious passes.

stubstubzbcjm.gif

stubstub2ygepy.gif

No way that was accidental :p
Though imagine if Busquets got hit like that...he probably would have kept rolling on the floor for a full minute.

/edit
a 3 man Ital. defense? Damn :O

Needs more Nocerino.

[IMG']http://www.abload.de/img/stubstubzbcjm.gif[/IMG]

[IMG']http://www.abload.de/img/stubstub2ygepy.gif[/IMG]

No way that was accidental :p
Though imagine if Busquets got hit like that...he probably would have kept rolling on the floor for a full minute.

/edit
a 3 man Ital. defense? Damn :O

Really dislike Meireles, such a waste of space in Chelsea.

F#A#Oo

Banned

T.Motta :(

What the fuck? Bonucci on the right? He should be in the middle! You can't expect De Rossi to lead the line/offside trap!

De Rossi I think will be a Libero type.

lol some of you guys have clearly not been watching italy play the past few years.

italy is going to try and play with spain today and are probably going to lose as a result, but hopefully it will be entertaining. they are playing with a 3 man defense so they will try and crowd the midfield to win possession and play out wide to score on the counter. it won't be catenaccio - think napoli in the CL this year, which was very fun to watch.

Which means we're going to be leaky as fuck in the back and every two-bit commentator is going to comment on how "this isn't the Italian defense of the past" like they know what they're talking about. :(

It'll be nice to see some Pirlo - Cassano - Balotelli link up.

Also, with Motta in the lineup in what we can refer to as a Vidal-like player we can expect a bunch of Marchisio rushing forward to play right behind Cassano and Balotelli. Willing to bet Marchisio is somehow involved in any goals we score.

Edit: Uh... Frank? Bonucci was great to amazing for 75% of the year. Did you not watch our matches? You're wrong if you think Ogbonna is better. He's good, but he's certainly not better at this stage in his career.

Edit2: OH SHIT YOU ACTUALLY RECOMMENDED RANOCCHIA? What is this world coming to?!

Wilbur

Banned
http://www.abload.de/img/stubstubzbcjm.gif[/IG]

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/stubstub2ygepy.gif[/IG]

No way that was accidental :P

/edit
a 3 man Ital. defense? Damn :O[/QUOTE]

Yeah Meireles is a thuggish cunt. Plus his hair always sucks.

Anyway, hoping for an Italian win; always had a soft spot for them. And Ireland beating Croatia would be great, if they can then somehow force a win or draw with Italy after the Spain game they're in a great position

shiroryu

Good football doesn't equate to more goals. I hate when my friends' amazing football matches are the ones that end with a goal count more than 3 or 4. I've seen 0-0 matches that were completely amazing. It's all about the chances and ball flow.

Yes. It's fun to watch the occasional 4-4, but that usually is just bad football.

By the way, are you perma-juniored, or is that a Blamespace-style tag?

Smeghead

Bonucci has 2 playing modes, absolute shit and superman, let's hope it's the latter.

Also, gotta believe in full metal giacc.

I reckon it will be more of a 2-1-5-2, with de Rossi playing just infront of the cbs and then slotting in when necessary.

Yeah, Spain definetly don't play as much attacking football as Barca and sometimes it can drag but when they're on it, it's amazing to watch.

Most teams just don't have the players to play like that so I wouldn't want them to try, but instead just play to their own strengths.

Paracelsus

Bonucci has 2 playing modes, absolute shit and superman, let's hope it's the latter.

Also, gotta believe in full metal giacc.

?

Bonucci is superman as long as you don't have him deal with actual defending but just playmaking. He can lend a hand but he's absolutely unable to hold the line of defense on his own.

Can't you get a suspension for this kind of thing even after a game?

If the referee didn't see it then yes, you sure can.

The_Joker

What the fuck is this shit. Care to explain why you're so bitter at everything?

i'm not bitter at everything...i just don't like spain, italy und a little bit england and holland... that's all...

and here is a ranking:

1.italy -> simply the ugliest football in the world (just talking about the top-teams)...tactically speaking and judging by the character of the players
2. spain -> i don't like barcelona -> i can't like spain...and they defeated germany two times :(
3. england
4. holland

shiroryu

Yeah, Spain definetly don't play as much attacking football as Barca and sometimes it can drag but when they're on it, it's amazing to watch.

Most teams just don't have the players to play like that so I wouldn't want them to try, but instead just play to their own strengths.

Exactly, Spain play that way because it suits them better: mobility and quick passing combination vs. sheer pace and power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom