• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.
france - england: 7-0.

Allez-les-bleus.jpg

Jal

Glad nobody gives us a chance today will be even sweeter when we win
lol
, even though the press keep telling us that there's no pressure on and we don't expect anything you can guarantee they'll rip them apart if we don't get through this group. Let's just hope we don't leave any windows open on this bus we're going to park or it could get a bit messy.

Is England really shit or is France really good? Why y'all expecting England to get slaughtered? I haven't seen much of France since '10 and they sucked balls so I can't imagine they got so much better. Well, no Domenech instantly makes them 100 times better I suppose.

I don't watch much league play other than serie a so I only really know Mexes from Milan, amongst the big names like Ribery and Malouda. That's about it though.

Salvadora

Is England really shit or is France really good? Why y'all expecting England to get slaughtered? I haven't seen much of France since '10 and they sucked balls so I can't imagine they got so much better. Well, no Domenech instantly makes them 100 times better I suppose.

I don't watch much league play other than serie a so I only really know Mexes from Milan, amongst the big names like Ribery and Malouda.

A little of both.

Wes

venison crêpe

I don't watch much league play other than serie a so I only really know Mexes from Milan, amongst the big names like Ribery and Malouda. That's about it though.

France have not lost in 21 games.

England have a new manager, a host of injuries and our best player suspended.

I just love seeing England lose at football. There are few things sweeter.

LevelNth

Banned
Just recovering now from the Irish loss yesterday, so disappointing but I still feel the fellas gave a good go.

Uphill battle against Spain and Italy, but I'm still keeping faith full force. A draw and a win and two Croatia losses gets us in with 4. Doable.

Not giving up after one game after waiting 24 years.

Xater

I am going to say France over England and a tie for the other game. Not too sure about my prediction for the second game though.

The rooster is the emblem of France.

That's a roast beef, because we call the English "rosbifs".

A rooster? More like a cock, lololo j/k
I googled as to why the French call the English rosbif(s):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2913151.stm

But why should they have used the word "rosbeefs"? (The usual spelling for this particular French nick-name for the English is "rosbif" - the graffiti spelling is presumably an attempted translation.)

Rosbif has two distinct meanings, and only one of them is usually intended as an insult.

Linguistics expert Professor Richard Coates of Sussex University says the phrase was originally used as a gastronomic term, referring to the English style of cooking beef.
"Rosbifs became a mark of the Englishman as far as the French were concerned in the 18th Century, simply because it was a very popular way of cooking," he says.

"That style began to apply to other meats cooked in the same way, so you would also have 'rosbif de mouton' and that sort of thing."

Thus an English term becomes part of the French vocabulary, like "le weekend", part of a spread of the English language which infuriates many French. Rosbif as a name for roast beef, however, carried on spreading and is now also used in Spain and Italy.

By 1850, the phrase had been extended to mean Englishmen themselves. William Makepeace Thackeray wrote in The Virginians: "Only my white cockade and coat had saved me from the fate which the other canaille [rabble] of Rosbifs had deservedly met with."

In any case it is, despite the offensiveness of the war graves graffiti, generally a "pretty inoffensive insult", says Mr Coates.
The heated argument between the UK and France over British beef, after France illegally maintained a ban on imports which the rest of the EU had lifted three years earlier, may have breathed new life into the insult.

"Rosbif" is a parallel insult to "frog", in that many English see it as being only mildly offensive.

It would surprise many casual users of the "frog" insult to know, however, that it dates back to the 1300s, and originally applied to the Jesuits and the Dutch, long before it referred to the French.

The Germans are called boche from what I know.

German expressions for the French: Froschfresser (frog eaters), Franzen, Franzaken
For the English: Inselaffen (Island monkeys), Tommys

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
When we lose I hope it's because France were better than us all game and not some 93rd minute penalty bullshit like last time.

jorma

is now taking requests
A rooster? More like a cock, lololo j/k
I googled as to why the French call the English rosbif(s):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2913151.stm

The Germans are called boche from what I know.

German expressions for the French: Froschfresser (frog eaters), Franzen, Franzaken
For the English: Inselaffen (Island monkeys), Tommys

And Germans are sometimes called "krauts" by the Swedes (from sauerkraut obviously).
Italians are "spaggar" (from spagetti)
And i know Swedes = Turnips.

Food related insults seems quite common in europe.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Just shows you how afraid Italy were of Iniesta.

He was brilliant yesterday.

Love the picture! Iniesta was bloody brilliant indeed.

610x.jpg

Spain were afraid of Giovinco then?

610x.jpg

Or perhaps Marchisio!

see where I'm going with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom