• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holland is out. With their recent play, they can forget about advancing. Sure, they could advance if they win 2-0 against Portugal, but what our media forget is that if Portugal defeats Holland, they advance. Winning with a 2 goal difference is impossible. Hell, even winning is impossible seeing the shitty performance of this shitty team.

Van Bommel you twat.

Wh.. what? Van Marwijk has been great. It all went downhill since that moment we lost against Sweden. Although I agree Bert should have changed his formation, I can't blame him for the atrocious performance of our defense and midfield.

Van Bommel you twat.

Van Marwijk has never been great. It was sheer luck that we reached the finals of the 2010 World Cup. A deflected goal. A severely overrated Brazil that was not even better than Uruguay. We had the same weaknesses we have now, two defensive midfielders that do not have the stamina and passing efficiency to quickly change from defending to attacking.

Van Marwijk has to change things from the get go. Huntelaar as the #1 striker, Van Persie behind him as 10. Sneijder next to De Jong. Robben from the left and Affelay/Kuyt from the right. Why Van Persie as 10? He is a shadow striker and his goal yesterday clearly showed that. Bergkamp was the same in his Arsenal era.

Nyx

Did we play good football? Nope. Yeah 45 minutes against Brazil, but the rest? Snoozefest against poor teams...only good football Holland has showed in the last years was under Van Basten in the group stage @ EC 2008

Van Basten is the one who brought us this dreaded 4-2-3-1 in the first place....

Why Van Persie as 10? He is a shadow striker and his goal yesterday clearly showed that. Bergkamp was the same in his Arsenal era.

Yeah, his 30-something goals as a striker for Arsenal clearly showed that as well...

Arjen

Did we play good football? Nope. Yeah 45 minutes against Brazil, but the rest? Snoozefest against poor teams...only good football Holland has showed in the last years was under Van Basten in the group stage @ EC 2008

Bingo, van Marwijk got away with his crappy style of football because he had results.

Chuckie

Lol reaching the finals on sheer luck. And 17 qualifier games unbeaten in a row is probably also sheer luck. Must be the biggest stroke of luck in the history of football.

Lol. We reached the WC final for the first time in 32 years

I hear everybody say this but people like you seem to totally neglect the fact that we played poor. Very, very poor. On any normal world cup we would not even stood a chance against Brazil. It was luck, luck and luck. The luck is gone this year and what does Van Marwijk got to show for it? Absolutely nothing.

I am usually the last one to say that the coach did everything wrong but he did now. You can not play with two defensive midfielders against a team like Germany. Defending has never been our strongest point over 20-30 years time. We got 6 players that are world class and they are all attackers and yet he refused to acknowledge it and only put on 4 of them.

Linius

Van Marwijk has been a great coach for us over the last years. But his problem is that he's sticking with his same winning eleven as two years a go. He should have drawn the conclusion that this team doesn't work no more. He should have renewed but he is too stubborn to do so.

Van Marwijk has never been great. It was sheer luck that we reached the finals of the 2010 World Cup. A deflected goal. A severely overrated Brazil that was not even better than Uruguay. We had the same weaknesses we have now, two defensive midfielders that do not have the stamina and passing efficiency to quickly change from defending to attacking.

Van Marwijk has to change things from the get go. Huntelaar as the #1 striker, Van Persie behind him as 10. Sneijder next to De Jong. Robben from the left and Affelay/Kuyt from the right. Why Van Persie as 10? He is a shadow striker and his goal yesterday clearly showed that. Bergkamp was the same in his Arsenal era.

I agree Bert should change his formation. But I don't agree on Bert not beeing great. Poor guys gets portrayed like an idiot after all the losses. He was great during the WC qualifyers and most EC qualifyers. The whole team sucks this tourney. Affelay is overrated, van Bommel is overrated, de Jong is overrated and our defense sucks.

Do I miss van Bronckhorst.

Also, I agree with you on the WC, it was all luck. On the other hand, if Robben scored against Spain, we'd be WC :)

Chuckie

These guys are overreacting.

Which is typically Dutch btw. When you play attractive and never win, you get complaints.
Then you get a coach who plays only on results, you get complaints.

I'll tell you know... next time we'll have a coach who let's them play attractive again.. we go down in a blaze of glory in the semi's... and people will start to complain again...saying at least van Marwijk was effective.

Wessiej

Lol reaching the finals on sheer luck. And 17 qualifier games unbeaten in a row is probably also sheer luck. Must be the biggest stroke of luck in the history of football.

Come on, that's saying that Manchester United is GREAT when they beat Excelsior 17 times in a row. We never ever played good. We played against San Marino and won what? 1-0?

Nyx

I hear everybody say this but people like you seem to totally neglect the fact that we played poor. Very, very poor. On any normal world cup we would not even stood a chance against Brazil. It was luck, luck and luck. The luck is gone this year and what does Van Marwijk got to show for it? Absolutely nothing.

Luck is always a factor in these tournaments, for any team.

I am usually the last one to say that the coach did everything wrong but he did now. You can not play with two defensive midfielders against a team like Germany. Defending has never been our strongest point over 20-30 years time. We got 6 players that are world class and they are all attackers and yet he refused to acknowledge it and only put on 4 of them.

If we'd played with 6 attackers, it would have been a monsterscore for Germany.

Surely Bert should have done something different than playing the same team as vs Denmark, but the loss(es) are mostly due to the terrible form some players are in.

Wessiej

And every other nation beats them with triple digits ?

It's just an example of how we play. Look I'm one of the person that don't really like the national team. Love the Euros/World Cup, sure. But the qualifying matches are sooo boring. We played 3 good matches in the last 6 years, and that's that. Maybe it's just me, but I can't be entertained by the Dutch squad.

Van Basten is the one who brought us this dreaded 4-2-3-1 in the first place....

Yeah, his 30-something goals as a striker for Arsenal clearly showed that as well...

When a team is build around 1 player I can understand your post. That is Arsenal for you.

If Arsenal loses Van Persie it is game over for them for the upcoming year or two.

The biggest error that Van Marwijk did was not to look at the players, but look at their positions. He refused to bring Emanuelson because he played as an attacking midfielder the last season, while in every other season before that he was left back and was a much better defender then Willems is now. He refused to put Robben on the left because he always played on the right. He refused to put Van Persie on 10 because he always played as #9 at Arsenal. He refused to put Van der Vaart next to De Jong because he always played as #10 at Tottenham.

You have to build a team where all your top players can play. He refused it against Denmark and refused it against Germany. He changed it after the damage was already done. What is the point in that?

Chuckie

Come on, that's saying that Manchester United is GREAT when they beat Excelsior 17 times in a row. We never ever played good. We played against San Marino and won what? 1-0?

Well in 2002 it was appearantly not even possible to do that appearantly. Now Van Gaal... THAT was a bad coach (regarding the Dutch team that is)

Holland is still going to advance to the next stage, that's a fact.

Reading the polls from almost every single website it shows that around 70% of the Dutch community is done with this European Championship. Them advancing through the quarter finals will have a very strange effect and I do not know how I will feel about it.
Judging by the way we played we do not deserve to advance but football can be a weird game and the ball is always round.

Visceir

Italy will bing the thunder today. Placed bets on them winning both halftimes, the game and scoring the first goal.

Was very pleasantly surprised by their first game, hope they won't disappoint. I can easily see them in the finals

Chuckie

Reading the polls from almost every single website it shows that around 70% of the Dutch community is done with this European Championship. Them advancing through the quarter finals will have a very strange effect and I do not know how I will feel about it.
Judging by the way we played we do not deserve to advance but football can be a weird game and the ball is always round.

Lol... IF they undeservedly continue to the next round... suddenly 80% of the Dutch community is no longer done with this EC.

Linius

I belong to the 30 percent that will keep on cheering. And like you said, the ball is round. We'll see what happens next sunday.

Italy will bing the thunder today. Placed bets on them winning both halftimes, the game and scoring the first goal.

Was very pleasantly surprised by their first game, hope they won't disappoint. I can easily see them in the finals

Di Natale on the pitch and Balotelli on the bench, please.

Ignore that. Balotelli on the pitch, please! I want to laugh again.

Divius

You know who we need? Jaap motherfucking Stam.

stamimg.jpg

F#A#Oo

Banned
Dutch GAF is really cut up over their national team eh...

It's the group of death tbh...I wouldn't be too cut up. 4 teams enter, 2 teams die.

Atleast the 3rd round of games will be interesting. I still think Holland can do it and qualify for QF's.

Linius

It's the group of death tbh...I wouldn't be too cut up. 4 teams enter, 2 teams die.

Atleast the 3rd round of games will be interesting. I still think Holland can do it and qualify for QF's.
We're too spoiled over here. The last three tournaments we were already qualified for the next round after two matches in the group stage. This year we have zero points after two matches and we still have a chance of advancing. It's a crazy tournament for us so far, but that's in the game.

We're too spoiled over here. The last three tournaments we were already qualified for the next round after two matches in the group stage. This year we have zero points after two matches and we still have a chance of advancing. It's a crazy tournament for us so far, but that's in the game.

We are not too spoiled. Some of us Dutch seem to neglect the fact that we played terrible after the loss against Sweden in October 2011. Not oné game after that match was fun to look at and the flaws of the team were already showing. The flaws that others saw as well but Van Marwijk did not.

Arjen

To give you an indication, out of 16 million people, 10 million watched the game against Denmark.
This country is put to a stop at the moment the national team is playing.

Linius

We are not too spoiled. Some of us Dutch seem to neglect the fact that we played terrible after the loss against Sweden in October 2011. Not oné game after that match was fun to look at and the flaws of the team were already showing. The flaws that others saw as well but Van Marwijk did not.
That's true of course. At first I thought the loss against Sweden was an incident. But every game after that was just as bad as the previous one. And Northren-Ireland game was not to be taken seriously :p

Oxx

Seems pretty likely that Ireland will be the first team eliminated from the tournament.

Spain should make up for their 'No Strikers' formation in the previous game by starting three of them today.

This is what the roads in the Netherlands looked like during the game....

f2XoP.jpg

1lHuf.jpg

nE8kX.jpg

vlQlE.jpg

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
All the people thinking Italy will beat Croatia are going to be quite surprised tonight! Croatia may not have so many players with a high level of skill comparable to Italy's best, but they're a very strong team, and historically have done great against Italy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom